NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Mario & Sonic at the 2020 Olympics (Switch)

Sega announced this morning that a new Mario & Sonic olympics game will be heading to the Switch later to this year.

Good to see that this is on the way. I often felt these games got overlooked as cheap cash-ins when actually they had loads of content and were a great celebration of both franchises. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The real question is with Break dancing on it's way to becoming an Olympic sport, will the 2024 game feature the return of Bowser's sweet moves?

AssuredMixedFerret-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

This actually looks decent!

That's probably because it is. Mario & Sonic and the Rio Olympics on the Wii U was a fantastic game and absolutely loaded with fan service and content. Shame many dismissed it as a cheap cash in and didn't bother to play it. :( 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Shame many dismissed it as a cheap cash in and didn't bother to play it.

Guilty

That is amazing! Hell, I don’t need any of the 3D parts of the game, would seriously buy it just for the 2D stuff. :laughing: 

It's a complete nostalgia grab but I'll be dammed if it's not tempting

I cannot be the only one who's getting constantly annoyed by Mario characters being 8-bit while the Sonic ones are 16-bit?

I mean, yeah, 8-bit Peach is constantly hilarious in how dodgy she looks, but it's jarring when she's with a Sonic character.

Sega showing their bias there.

Watch Yoshi be the Mario World version and make the whole thing even less consistent!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I cannot be the only one who's getting constantly annoyed by Mario characters being 8-bit while the Sonic ones are 16-bit?

I mean, yeah, 8-bit Peach is constantly hilarious in how dodgy she looks, but it's jarring when she's with a Sonic character.

Watch Yoshi be the Mario World version and make the whole thing even less consistent!

Literally came to post this post, word for word.  Damn you Glen-i!

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

It looks WEIRD. Why not just use the SNES sprites? Strange decision.

4 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

It looks WEIRD. Why not just use the SNES sprites? Strange decision.

Probably a nostalgia thing. Most people will recognise Mario from the NES era, whereas Sonic was known for the Mega Drive games. 

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Probably a nostalgia thing. Most people will recognise Mario from the NES era, whereas Sonic was known for the Mega Drive games. 

Yeah, makes sense. And I quite like how they’ve mixed the sprites. :hehe: 

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

They could always go with the SMM amiibo sprites for Yoshi and the rest of the Mario characters. :idea:

It's not like changing Mario to SMW style suddenly makes him match te style of Sonic.

6 hours ago, Sméagol said:

It's not like changing Mario to SMW style suddenly makes him match te style of Sonic.

Sure, but it would still be more consistent.

Yep, absolutely fantastic review there by Josh :D we couldn't have asked for a more comprehensive review. :peace:

It answered all the questions I had about the game and all the questions I didn't know I'd be asking. :smile:

A shame about the lack of extra unlockables but aside from that it sounds like the best entry in the series to date from a pick up and play perspective.

I've already got plenty of Switch games to play but now I'm thinking about pre-ordering it...

I found the demo laughably easy... Really hoping the story mode offers something a bit more meaty.

Find out more on the podcast :laughing:

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this