NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Mega Drive Mini (19th September 2019)

Livestream is now on for those wanting to watch.

Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Street Fighter 2: CE have been announced so far.

4 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Wonder Boy in Monster World!  That's an incredible game!

That's the... Second one right, the one that happens right before Dragon's Trap?

Either way, that game has pushed me over from "Maybe" to "Do want" I'll have to ask @Dcubed to order one for me.

• Thanks 1

So they did include Street Fighter yet we only have the 3-button pad...

Retrobit confirmed their controllers they released in April will work on the Mega Drive Mini which is good news.

2 hours ago, Ike said:

So they did include Street Fighter yet we only have the 3-button pad...

Retrobit confirmed their controllers they released in April will work on the Mega Drive Mini which is good news.

I would expect the 8bitdo ones will as well. Really good pad.

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

That's the... Second one right, the one that happens right before Dragon's Trap?

Either way, that game has pushed me over from "Maybe" to "Do want" I'll have to ask @Dcubed to order one for me.

I get seriously confused about this series, but the 2nd one is Monster Land and it's an arcade/Master System game.  Not played it myself, but I'm still looking forward to seeing how an RPG-like game can work on two different systems like that.  Monster World is the fifth Wonder Boy game overall and the third Monster World game.  It's a very confusing series to classify, but an excellent game!

General series

• Wonder Boy
  • Wonder Boy in Monster Land
  • Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
  • Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World
  • Wonder Boy V

Monster World series

• Wonder Boy in Monster Land
  • Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World
  • Wonder Boy V
Edited by Grazza
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2019 at 2:31 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

The next 10 games for the EU/US regions are...

y3p3gm2l.jpg

Have to admit that I'm disappointed in the US/EU replacements for the JPN games.  Sonic Spinball is hot garbage and Vectorman is really quite mediocre.

SF2 and GN'G are also wasted slots, as the arcade versions are so much better and are readily available elsewhere (well, GN'G is actually not easy to come by anymore; but the arcade versions have been re-released at least a few times!)

Wonderboy in Monster World is really the saving grace of the western replacements, but that's not enough to make up for the games that have been lost so far...

Wily Wars is a great addition though; being the first time that the US version has ever been released outside of the SEGA Channel!

I have to admit, I'm eying up the Asian version as the best version right now.  It's just the right combo of the US and JPN lineups, plus they get Alien Solider as an exclusive!! I NEED Alien Soldier! And unless that is one of the remaining titles to be announced elsewhere, that makes it pretty much untouchable!

Asian MD Mini list below...

Alien Soldier
Castle of Illusion
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Comix Zone
Contra: Hard Corps
Ghouls & Ghosts
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
Mega Man: The Wily Wars
MUSHA
OutRun 2019
Phantasy Star IV
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
Puyo Puyo (from which Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is derived)
Puyo Puyo Tsu
SEGA Game Series Value Edition (Game no Kanzume Otokuyou)*
Shining Force
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage 2
Super Fantasy Zone
Sword of Vermilion
The Revenge of Shinobi
The Story of Thor (aka Beyond Oasis)
Thunder Force III
Wonder Boy in Monster World
World of Illusion
Wrestlebal

Unless we get some surprise announcements for the west with the last batch, I think I might actually just go for this one.  Looks like the best overall lineup (and all versions of the MD Mini include all regional variants of every game anyway).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

What... I didn't realise that Alien Soldier is currently exclusive to the JP version?

That needs to change with the last lot of games released.

I do have ways in which I can play the game already (MD cart which is sadly just a repro and the Wii VC version) but it needs to be played by as many people as possible.

Thinking about it, it's also on a lot of the recent Sega compliations, so it's even more baffling as to why it wouldn't be on all versions of the MD mini.

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

What... I didn't realise that Alien Soldier is currently exclusive to the JP version?

That needs to change with the last lot of games released.

I do have ways in which I can play the game already (MD cart which is sadly just a repro and the Wii VC version) but it needs to be played by as many people as possible.

Thinking about it, it's also on a lot of the recent Sega compliations, so it's even more baffling as to why it wouldn't be on all versions of the MD mini.

It's actually NOT in the JPN version! It's currently exclusive to the Asian region version!

Cheekily stolen from Reset Era...

NA/EU list so far (games not in the Japanese Mini are in orange bold italics):

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Altered Beast

Beyond Oasis
Castle of Illusion
Castlevania Bloodlines
Comix Zone
Contra: Hard Corps / Probotector
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Earthworm Jim
Ecco the Dolphin

Ghouls & Ghosts
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
Megaman: The Wily Wars
Phantasy Star IV
Shining Force
Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master
Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier 2
Streets of Rage 2
Super Fantasy Zone
Thunder Force 3
Toejam & Earl
VectorMan
Wonder Boy in Monster World
World of Illusion

Japanese list so far (games not in the NA/EU Mini are in orange bold italics):

Castlevania Bloodlines
Comix Zone
Dyna Brothers 2: Sega Channel Special
Game no Kanzume Otokuyou*

Ghouls & Ghosts
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
Madō Monogatari
Musha Aleste: Fullmetal Fighter Ellinor
Party Quiz Mega Q
Phantasy Star IV
Puyo Puyo Tsu
Rent a Hero

Rockman Megaworld
Shining Force
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier 2
Street Fighter II' Champion Edition
Streets of Rage 2
Super Fantasy Zone
The Hybrid Front
The Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis)
The Super Shinobi (Revenge of Shinobi)
Thunder Force 3
World of Illusion
Wrestleball
Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen

Asian list so far (games not in the Japanese or NA/EU Minis are in orange bold italics):

Alien Soldier
Beyond Oasis
Castle of Illusion
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Comix Zone
Game no Kanzume Otokuyou
Ghost n Ghouls
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
Mega Man: The Wily Wars
MUSHA Aleste
OutRun 2019
Phantasy Star IV
Puyo Puyo 1 (Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine in US/PAL)
Puyo Puyo Tsu
SEGA Game Series Value Edition (Game no Kanzume Otokuyou)*
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage II
Super Fantasy Zone
Sword of Vermilion
The Revenge of Shinobi
Thunderforce III
Wonder Boy in Monster World
World of Illusion
Wrestleball

*Games included in Game no Kanzume Otokuyou/SEGA Game Series Value Edition are:

16t
Flicky
Putter Golf
Hyper Marbles
Shi no Meikyuu
Medal City
Paddle Fighter
Ikazuse! Koi no Doki Doki Penguin Land MD
Pyramid Magic
Robot Battler
Teddy Boy Blues
Aworg

This could still change with the last unveil to come, but yeah... Alien Soldier is currently exclusive to the Asian region version.  In fact, for my money, they seem to have the best lineup of the lot!

The Asian version is actually available for pre-order on Play-Asia... So I'm waiting until the last set of games get unveiled; but at the moment, I'm leaning towards the Asian version.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Have to admit that I'm disappointed in the US/EU replacements for the JPN games.  

Looking at the list i'm pretty disappointed with a lot of the games on offer. Sure, we are getting a few rare gems like Mega Man and Bloodlines but there are far too many games on the list that have simply been released far too many times before in other collections. Why not give other games a chance to shine? I'm still hoping for Soleil or Aladdin to show up on the final list. 

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Looking at the list i'm pretty disappointed with a lot of the games on offer. Sure, we are getting a few rare gems like Mega Man and Bloodlines but there are far too many games on the list that have simply been released far too many times before in other collections. Why not give other games a chance to shine? I'm still hoping for Soleil or Aladdin to show up on the final list. 

You were always going to get some of the usual suspects, like Sonic and Streets of Rage 2, but the last batch of US/EU titles are indeed quite disappointing in that regard.  We really didn't need Vectorman and Sonic Spinball...

Hopefully the last batch will be more focused on the rare and more niche titles.  I reckon Cotton and Panorama Cotton have a decent chance, given that they just announced the remake of the first game for Switch.  That would be a great addition! (it's also super rare!).  Crusaders of Centy would also be a fab inclusion!

Overall though, the lineup is pretty great on all systems, but yeah... The Asian list is just plain better than the US/EU one so far.

Edited by Dcubed

9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yes! That game was great, been wanting to replay it. The ending was really messed up if I remember right. Took me years to beat that game as well when I was younger, a really good Zelda clone.

9 hours ago, Ike said:

Yes! That game was great, been wanting to replay it. The ending was really messed up if I remember right. Took me years to beat that game as well when I was younger, a really good Zelda clone.

I've never played it. I didn't even know about it until a few years back where a topic about it popped up on NeoGaf. It looked fantastic and since then i've wanted to give it a try. The original Mega Drive cart commands quite a high price on eBay.

There's a great topic about the game over on Resetera.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/when-sega-took-on-zelda-they-really-went-for-the-jugular.111554/

Edited by Hero-of-Time

On 21/05/2019 at 7:50 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

I've never played it. I didn't even know about it until a few years back where a topic about it popped up on NeoGaf. It looked fantastic and since then i've wanted to give it a try. The original Mega Drive cart commands quite a high price on eBay.

There's a great topic about the game over on Resetera.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/when-sega-took-on-zelda-they-really-went-for-the-jugular.111554/

Happy Console Gamer also had it in his top ten Mega Drive games video he released recently.

Reading the thread shows me how much of the story I either didn't pick up on or forgot.

Spoiler

I remember climbing teh tower to fight God though. :laughing:

On 20/05/2019 at 12:35 PM, Dcubed said:

Cheekily stolen from Reset Era...

Are those lists you posted final? No more games to be announced?

If so, I find it odd that they bothered to fetch World of Illusion and Castle of Illusion, but not Quackshot.

7 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Are those lists you posted final? No more games to be announced?

If so, I find it odd that they bothered to fetch World of Illusion and Castle of Illusion, but not Quackshot.

No.  SEGA have 10 more games to reveal for each region on June 4th.  Then we’ll know the full list :) 

• Thanks 1

Games I want in the final 10:

• Rocket Knight Adventure
  • Quackshot
  • Desert Strike
  • Aladdin
  • The Adventures of Batman and Robin
  • Sonic 3
  • Soleil
  • X-Men 2: Clone Wars
  • Power Rangers: The Movie
  • Micro Machines

Yeah....i'm not getting any of these. :D  Saying that, I don't think Rocket Knight Adventures is completely out of the question.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

Where's my Aladdin! thats all I want!

Would be nice to get sonic 3 too, even if they have to change the music.

17 hours ago, Dcubed said:

No.  SEGA have 10 more games to reveal for each region on June 4th.  Then we’ll know the full list :) 

Nice.

Since we're doing wishlists:

• Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  • Quackshot
  • Ristar
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • Chiki Chiki Boys
  • Bomberman '94
  • Tiny Toons Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure
  • Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie
  • Micro Machines
  • Pulseman
Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The final 10 games will be announced on the 4th June. I'm looking forward to seeing what makes the cut.

Sign in to follow this