NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Mega Drive Mini (19th September 2019)

D24dlolWoAARJts.jpg:large

Coming 19th September 2019, the new mini console will feature save states, have 40 games installed and can be bought with one or two controllers (USB). Best news of all is M2 has been helping to create this.

10 games have been announced already. @Dcubed looks like you will finally get to play Castlevania Bloodlines because that was one of the 10 games that was shown!

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Best news of all is M2 has been helping to create this.

And it's well on its way to being better put together than the Playstation Mini.

40 games is a lot though! I'll have to see how much it costs before deciding whether I want it.

Not that long ago I would have been really excited for this. Don’t think I’ll be bothering though, happy enough to stick with my Mega SG.

• Thanks 1

HOLY FUCK CASTLEVANIA BLOODLINES!?!?!

M2 DOING THE EMULATION!?!?!?

Pinch me! I must be dreaming!! :bouncy: They DO spy on me! :D  

Now gimme Rocket Knight Adventures 1 & 2 and Contra Hard Corps! The VC releases that got away will finally be mine! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

More details!

https://kotaku.com/sega-will-release-the-genesis-mini-on-september-19-1833681956

All regional variants of every game will be included (ALA SEGA AGES on Switch!).  So yes, you will get 60hz Castlevania Bloodlines AND 50hz Castlevania The New Generation!

Menu music is done by Yuzo Koshiro! So it's guaranteed to be RAD! :D 

In Japan at least, it will be sold in two variations: with one controller for 6,980 yen (about $60), and with two controllers for 8,980 yen (about $80).  No word on international pricing yet; but I'd imagine that it would probably be similar over here.

So it's basically the dream product that we all fantasised that it could possibly be! Thank you SEGA! You have won my money! (Hell, I'll take two!) :bouncy:

Edited by Dcubed

Yeah but... I just got an Analogue Mega SG, what would I need this for... ::shrug:

*Sees that the emulation is being handled by M2*

*notes the inclusion of both versions of Castlevania Bloodlines*

*AND Yuzo Koshiro composed the menu music?!?*

I'll take two! :D

• Haha 2

I'll take... one. :hehe:

Probably. Depends on the game list/price, but it's looking good. Would definitely be nice to have this sitting next to my SNES Mini. :) 

Edited by RedShell

European version is different to the JPN counterpart. Comes with Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machines instead of Puyo Puyo Tsu. We seem to be getting the 3 button controller for some reason.

http://megadrivemini.sega.com/

• Like 1

Swapping out Puyo Puyo Tsu for Mean Bean Machine makes sense given that MBM is actually a localisation of Puyo Puyo 1 and not the sequel (which has no localised counterpart); but the decision to go with the 3 button controller over the 6 button one is just bizzare...

... doesn’t bode well for Shinobi 3’s chances...

... why do I get the feeling that the western version is going to get buggered in comparison to the Japanese one?

I swear, if the western version is an Atgames product while Japan gets M2...

Edited by Dcubed

27 minutes ago, Ike said:

We seem to be getting the 3 button controller for some reason.

Probably because that's the one Europe knows.

Stupid reason, of course, but that's probably it.

Looks stunning!  Am I greedy though for thinking it should be about 80 games? :p

• Haha 1

I don't have any nostalgia for that particular model of Mega Drive (my childhood experiences were all with the Mega Drive II) 

Couple that with the fact that the majority of the games are probably already on the collection on Switch and I can't see this making its way into my home!

Interesting, the Japanese version includes Madō Monogatari, the last ever Mega Drive game (in Japan), but they used the characters from the game for Puyo Puyo.

Depending on the price, this is a mini console I might actually get! Here's hoping for Dynamite Headdy.

10 more games just got announced for the Japanese MD Mini on a Famitsu livestream!

- Thunder Force III
- Super Fantasy Zone
- Musha Aleste: Fullmetal Fighter Ellinor aka M.U.S.H.A
- World of Illusion
- Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage 2
- The Hybrid Front
- Landstalker
- Contra Hard Corps
- Dyna Brothers 2: Sega Channel Special
- Game no Kanzume Otokuyou

Edit: US/EU equivalent list announced!

The new titles:
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Earthworm Jim
- Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
- World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
- Contra: Hard Corps
- Landstalker
- Streets of Rage 2
- Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
- Super Fantasy Zone
- Thunder Force III

Jesus Christ!! What a selection!! :D Contra Hard Corps was my second most wanted game; so I'm absolutely over the moon here! :bouncy:

They've even managed to secure the rights to World of Illusion from Disney! Holy fuck! They are NOT fucking around with this thing! :o 

What a bangin' selection of games! And we're not even halfway through yet! Now let's get Rocket Knight Adventures 1 & 2 on this thing too! :D 

Edited by Dcubed

EU/US updated list:

• Thunder Force III
  • Castle of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse
  • World of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Super Fantasy Zone
  • Contra Hard Corps/Probotector
  • Landstalker
  • Shinobi III: The Ninja Master
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2

http://megadrivemini.sega.com

Also at GAME..

EU/US updated list:

• Thunder Force III
  • Castle of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse
  • World of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Super Fantasy Zone
  • Contra Hard Corps/Probotector
  • Landstalker
  • Shinobi III: The Ninja Master
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2

http://megadrivemini.sega.com

(Totally still a thing :blank:)

• Weird 1

I really want a Japanese one.  Hope it has Bare Knuckle 3, as I believe that's significantly better than Streets of Rage 3?

It sounds as though they’re finally getting it right.  I’m going to wait though. I’ve already seen Sega release multiple devices designed to play Mega Drive games and reviews have not been particularly favourable.  Walking in my local town centre and one store is even advertising two different Mega Drive Mini-style devices by Sega, both containing different games, with no reason why one should be chosen over the other except for game choice.

Are we calling them out for copying Nintendo, or is that reserved for Sony products?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Are we calling them out for copying Nintendo, or is that reserved for Sony products?

Nintendo copied SEGA, technically.

Sega is the greatest of all time anyway as we all know. They only went out of business because they felt sorry for Nintendo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It actually has the European box art for all the games. That's a nice touch.

Sign in to follow this