NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Streets of Rage 4

content-4-36200-streetsofrage4retrocharactersbanner.jpg

Streets   of Rage   4   gets classic characters and original soundtracks

Classic characters from Streets of Rage and Streets of Rage 2, soundtracks from both of these two games included as well.

Release date is definitely NOT 23rd of April, 2020... which is, good to know? :p

It seems like the game will be priced at £22.49 which seems fair for a game of this size, though its file size is 3.1GB.

(very glad that I went for the physical version now... even though I'll likely be waiting a while after the digital release unless the plan is to delay for parity?)

I'm still very much looking forward to this and can't wait to take to the Streets of Rage... one... more... time. :cool:

Reading a lot on Twitter that says this is coming to Game Pass day one as well which is excellent news if true.

I think I’ll still buy it for Switch as it makes local four player a lot easier and use the Xbox version to play online. 

New (not new) gameplay video dropped from GameXplain. Hadn't been posted yet, so here you are.

• Thanks 1

Actual release date is 30th April. New Battle Mode announced.

Edited by Dog-amoto
  • Thanks 2

content-4-36200-streetsofrage4retrocharactersbanner.jpg

Streets   of Rage   4   will be released on April 30th, 2020

And the battle mode is returning to the series. :D

Less than two weeks to go! :)

(I'm still waiting for that physical version though)

But still, I cannot wait to return to the Streets of Rage once more. :peace:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

Also, reviews were released today and the game seems to have done very well with most publications. Seeing as a lot of us on here like EZA, here is their review.

Finally, Limited Run Games announced a very special edition of the game is to be released in limited numbers.

EWt3q8OWsAYew2A?format=jpg&name=large

Not long to wait now. My body is ready...

AxelIdle.gifBlazeIdle.gif

• Thanks 2

Yeah the reviews for this have been really good. I have to admit, as much as Streets of Rage 2 is one of my all time favourite games, I didn't think this would be good. I wasn't sold on the art style and something just seemed off about it to me but I watched a review today of someone that had similar feelings to me who is blown away by how good this is. It sounds like they did a tremendous job.

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Hero-of-Time you saved me a job there as I was going to post both of those videos, not that I'd have minded posting them but great minds and all that. :D

Although... I hadn't seen that third edition of the game from Limited Run Games and now I'm kind of wishing that I hadn't seen it as while it does look really cool, I already pre-ordered the Standard Edition and even that will presumably take a while to be released, it's going to be a long wait for that as it is, it's usually longer for special editions; plus I only just about justified getting the standard physical version.

Really nice set though, the statue is cool, the metal cartridge is nice and it has a full CD Soundtrack... if they are selling that separately, I'd consider that but I bet they won't. :hmm:

Anyway, physical game collecting ramblings aside, I really cannot wait to play Streets of Rage 4! :D

But I'll have to... so I'll get playing other games in the meantime and will probably replay the trilogy. :peace:

Hmm, I'm about 8/10 convinced to buy the game.  I'm really undecided and might just as easily impulse download it today as I might not.

One thing's for sure, I'm now 100% convinced by the art style.  Those animated GIFs of Axel and Blaze are stunning.  I used to love the pixel art, but seeing what they look like on a high-resolution display, you realise they had to go down the hand-drawn route, and the results are absolutely gorgeous.

Supposed to be on Game Pass but not seeing it yet. Oh well, will check again this afternoon

1 hour ago, Ike said:

How's the Switch version performance wise, smooth?

The video which Digital Foundry made seems to suggest that all versions run smoothly, although they've still got to do all their tests across all versions.

Right, I've come to the realisation that the Physical Version for Switch and PS4 from Limited Run Games will not be shipping for a while and I definitely cannot wait that long.

So I'm going to be doing what I did with Sonic Mania and will be buying the digital version for the Xbox One seeing as that console likely won't be getting a physical version.

At least that way I can play the game, enjoy it and have an opinion on it because this is a monumental release which I really cannot miss out on and if I wait for that physical release... who knows how long that will really take even under a normal time-frame, let alone a 2020 and beyond time-frame or if those versions will ultimately come out.

Limited Run Games have started sending out e-mails which sound like damage-limitation to me (just my opinion) but it does seem that they are doing everything they can.

Streets of Rage 4 will be played today, one way or another, on one of the three consoles, probably the Xbox One though for now, at least it will give me something to play on it. ;)

I can still look forward to the Switch version, as I'm sure this will be a game which I'd gladly play many, many times over. :smile:

To anyone else who is playing the game today, on whichever platform, be it Switch, PS4, Xbox One or PC... enjoy! :peace:

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I was considering getting the physical version but it said it won't ship for 2-4 months, plus it costs quite a bit more as I'm sure there'll be customs charges on top of it.

I was considering getting some protective cases as well so adding that would justify the shipping costs but I'm not sure if I'll bother.

I saw it was 10% off, so downloaded it this afternoon.  They know how to sway me.

The game is superb, much better than I expected.  It feels perfect, with combat neither too complicated nor too simple.  It also manages to come across as its own game, moving you through noticeable environments that get the story across, with various surprises and events along the way.  I play a lot of beat-'em-ups, and that's one of the hardest things to get right, even in cases where the gameplay is otherwise very good.  So far, it really is the best of its genre since the glory days.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

So I'm going to be doing what I did with Sonic Mania and will be buying the digital version for the Xbox One seeing as that console likely won't be getting a physical version.

I believe this is also out on XBox GamePass for those who have it, so you can play it for free(ish).

• Thanks 1

Just now, Vileplume2000 said:

I believe this is also out on XBox GamePass for those who have it, so you can play it for free(ish).

Tempting... as with all games attached to GamePass but I just can't do it... I have to at least purchase it to own if I'm buying it digitially on one platform. :peace:

It's a good point though, for anyone who already has GamePass, then... you might as well play Streets of Rage 4 using the service. :D

Ultimately, I just hope that loads of people get to enjoy playing this game as it sounds like it's the sequel many have been waiting for. :smile:

So, after playing through the story mode on easy and then playing it again on normal and in co-op (online) I can safely say the game is legit. Here are my thoughts after playing through it.

EW3J-J5UEAA2yok?format=jpg&name=large

As someone who was born in the 80's, I had the pleasure on being around when the beat-em-up genre was in its prime. The arcade scene was full of games from this genre and each of them were fantastic experiences. Final Fight, Double Dragon, Captain Commando, The Simpsons, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, X-Men...the list goes on. The home market didn't get left out of all the fun. Sega created Streets of Rage, a game series that brought the thrills of the arcade beat-em-ups to the home console. Sadly, when the 3D era of gaming hit, this genre seemed to fade away into obscurity. Sure, they were attempts to bring the genre back in 3D with games such as Spikeout but they never were able to recapture the feeling from those games from the 2D era. Fast forward to today and Sega have allowed another development team to have a crack at bringing the genre back to modern consoles. Have they succeeded or is this a genre that was a product of its time?

I'll start off by saying that even though I do enjoy the Streets of Rage series, I have never been the biggest fan of it. Many thought it as the pinnacle of the genre for home consoles but I was always in the corner of Final Fight. However, I do have fond memories of SoR, especially the second game. I tell you this mainly to show that there will be no nostalgia clouding my judgement as a write about the game.

The game is set 10 years after the events of Streets of Rage 3. The city is once again under siege from a criminal underworld and it's up to the heroes from the past games to come out of retirement and try and put an end to the crime spree that is plaguing the city. The story is told by using still images, although a few of them do feature some movement. I found these to be a welcome break in between stages. They all look great and they manage to tell the story of the game without ever being intrusive. A lot of games that have tried to tackle this genre in recent times have went a little overboard with such things and it got in the way of the gameplay. Here, the scenes are short, get to the point and then you are straight back into the action. Anyone who doesn't want to watch them can easily skip them with the press of a button. This is a welcome option for those who have already played through the game but I do think they are certainly worth a watch during your first time through the game. 

EW3J-JlVcAc_Cv6?format=jpg&name=large
The story is told through some fantastic images

There are a choice of 4 characters to start off with, with another unlocked once the game has been completed. During my first run through the game I picked Axel and I immediately felt right at home with the game. Pressing Y performs a standard attack and by doing a double tap forward while pressing Y executes Axel's famous fire uppercut. The X button is used for pulling off a special move which is best used for crowd control. Like the original games, you need to be wary when using this move because it will deplete some of your health when you use it. Back attacks can also be used and switching between enemies that are standing either side of you and taking each of them out in quick succession is very satisfying. 

New to this entry of the series are star moves. These come in limited quantities but by pressing both X and A together you can pull of some flashy moves that can cause a massive amount of damage to anyone that it hits. I found it best to try and preserve these for boss fights but they do come in handy when in a pinch during standard fights. If you search the levels thoroughly you will be able to find extra stars to use. Most of them are in plain sight but there are one or two that are cheekily hidden away.

EW3J-J5U8AEbBTa?format=jpg&name=large
The trusty pipe makes its welcome return

Speaking of items, lots of the fan favourites make a return here. Weapons have always been a big part of this genre and SoR4 is no different. Baseball bats, batons, knives, bottles and swords can all be found scattered throughout each of the levels. If you come across one then simply press the A button to pick them up. You can then use them to attack by using the Y button but you can also throw them at enemies by once again pressing the A button. You can actually juggle a thrown item if you are clever enough. Throw an item at an enemy and it will bounce back at you. If you are quick enough you can press the A button again and catch the item, ready for another use. There's not just weapons to be found. Keeping you health fully stocked up is an important part of the game and the apples and chickens make a welcome return. Like any other item, just press the A button when standing over them and you will replenish your health.

Gaining high scores was a big part of the arcade scene. It wasn't enough to just finish the game but many also wanted to top the leaderboards. Gaining a high score in this game plays an important role for a couple of reasons. If you get a high enough score during normal play then you will be awarded an extra life. This is something you obviously want to aim for, especially on the higher difficulties. This entry of the series adds to the standard  scoring system by adding a combo system on top of hit. When you hit an enemy a combo will start. Keep hitting them and the combo will obviously go up and if you get hit the combo will be lost. The higher the combo, the higher the score you will get and a high score means more lives. It's a great little incentive to try and not get hit and quickly move from enemy to enemy in order to keep the combo going. When you finish the stage you will be graded on how well you've done, with the highest grade being an S rank. Your score is then added to a total score throughout all of your play throughs of the game. This total score has milestones to reach and upon reaching them you will receive hidden goodies. So far these have been extra character skins for each of the original cast members but I still have plenty more to unlock.

EW3KVUIVAAItptD?format=jpg&name=large
This doesn't seem like a fair fight

One of the things that Streets of Rage is well known for is it's soundtrack and SoR4 lives up to the legacy of the other games. There are some fantastic tunes in the game, some of which are remixes from the original games. I love how the music seems to slowly build up in some of the stages. It can start off quite slow but with each new area that you get to the music slowly starts to pump up. I find it amazing the balance that has been struck here. The music feels fresh and new but at the same time it somehow manages to feel like the original games. It helps that a lot of the themes, such as rock, jazz techno are revisited here, not to mention that the original composers helped out with the game. 

Visually the game is stunning. Absolutely stunning. I suppose this comes as no surprise to anyone who played Lizardcube's Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap. That game also featured beautiful hand-drawn artwork and I feel that they've taken it to another level with this. Looking at stills, while beautiful, don't really do the game justice. The amount of care and attention that has gone into creating the animations for the characters, both friendly and enemy, is astounding. The background images are also beautiful to look at and the lighting used just enhances the overall visual look of the game. There's a level where you are in the sewers and there is green goo lying on the floor. This goo lights up the darkened area and the lighting effects used look amazing. There are other examples of this scattered throughout the game. Lizardcube have really managed to bring the world alive with the style they've used. It's paid off in a big way.

EW3KVUdUEAEUlP6?format=jpg&name=large
This is just one of the many beautiful locations you will see on your journey

Making you way through all 12 stages of the game will take around 2 hours play time. During this time you will see areas such as the sewers, police station, tower and the standard elevator level. It wouldn't be a beat-em-up with an elevator level. Each of these areas do have a distinct look to them and each of them will feature a boss to defeat at the end of them. Getting to the bosses is no easy matter though. You'll have to fight your way through swarms of enemies who do get more aggressive as the game goes on. Some of the bosses you do eventually encounter are nods towards the past games and fans of the series will certainly get a kick (no pun intended) out of them. During the boss fight on the fourth level there is an event that happens that certainly got a smile from me. It's fan service done in just the right way and it was certainly appreciated.

Despite the game only having 12 stages and a 2 hour completion time there is a lot to unpack after you are done. You you do enjoy chasing high scores then there are the S ranks to unlock. Stage select is unlocked so you can tackle gaining high scores on a stage by stage basis. Arcade mode is unlocked and that challenges you to try and beat the game without using any continues. The hardest difficulty is also unlocked and there are character skins and other items to obtain. There's plenty to keep people busy if they are looking for more action after the credits have rolled.

EW3KVUsU8AARvTB?format=jpg&name=large
Beyonce and Rihanna make a special appearance

After finishing the game for the first time, I was very eager to see how the game holds up in terms of online play. When you start a game you have the option to host it online. This is done very quickly with a press of a button and straight away I had someone partner up with me. We ended up playing the game together from start to finish. It reminded me of my youth, playing these types of games in the arcades and having a random person come up, put their money in the slot and then join in on the action. There's obviously no voice chat to be had here so you have to make do without communicating. This did cause a bit of an issue during one of the levels. Both of us had very little health and there was a chicken on the floor. Both of use were far too polite to pick it up ourselves and we ended up moving to the next part of the stage without either of us regaining any health. Sadly, the online experience wasn't all fun and games. At times the game did stutter quite a bit and it felt a lot slower than when I played it in single player. I was running the Switch on wifi rather than using my ethernet adaptor and i'm not sure where the second player was actually playing from. It will be interesting to see how it runs with someone on my friend list who is actually in the UK.

Conclusion

Very few developers are able to take a dead franchise, as well as a dead genre, and bring it back in such a successful way. The game is an absolute gem and it easily surpasses the previous entries in the series. I think if anyone says otherwise then they are clouded by nostalgia, unable to see past their memories of the older games and see what an amazing game that this truly is. Everyone involved in this has managed to create a game that has a place in the modern gaming world and also manages to recapture that feeling from the past. It's a tricky thing to pull off but they have managed to absolutely nail it. This is easily one of the best games of 2020 so far and I'm hoping that the game does find the success it deserves and also kickstarts a revival of the genre.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

An exceptional review there @Hero-of-Time which makes me want to play the game even more right now. :D

I'll be playing it later on the Xbox One with any luck, then again on the Switch at a later date. :)

I would have asked you if we could use your review for the site but it turns out that there might well be an N-Europe review for this game and that's about all I can say. :peace:

I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed the game though, it's fantastic to hear that this really does sound like the sequel which everyone, fans and newcomers alike have been waiting for and that there really isn't any reason for anyone not to get the game if they can, on any format. :smile:

• Thanks 1

Well, after playing Streets of Rage 4 for a good three hours on Normal mode and only now clearing Stage 6, I can say that the game is brutal but fair, with some brilliant set-pieces so far and a difficulty curve which had steadily ramped up to a point where each new area is taking a good few tries to get through, but you learn more as you play and it's really rewarding when you finally beat the stage you were on with just a sliver of health left. :D

I really want to finish the story mode at least once in a single sitting but that will all depend on how the game plays out from here, I could just leave it there until tomorrow but I want to keep pushing forward as the game is just so much fun to play; the trio of developers who worked on this game have really done the Streets of Rage series proud, as not only have they managed to retain the core elements which were so enjoyable from the original games but they've expanded on the formula in ways which make complete sense when you take into account the just over a quarter-of-a-century which has passed since the last entry in the series. :peace:

This is how you bring back a beloved series in style in a way which will have anyone who plays it raise a big smile on their face from throwing the first punch in the game and realising that this is a new zenith for the Beat 'em Up genre which can proudly sit alongside not only its own older brethren but also any modern-day 'Classic' example which you care to mention... Wulverblade, River City Girls and Ninja Saviors; it's up there with the best and then some.

Streets of Rage is back, in 2020 and I couldn't be any happier than in this moment, playing through this game for the first time which I never thought would see the light of day, but dawn has broken on the streets of Wood Oak City and it's time to reclaim them from the shadowy criminal syndicate, one stage at a time. :smile:

Annnd... Stage 10, you win for now, I'll be back though. :blank:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One thing I can’t get used to is not using the punch button to pick stuff up. Not easy to undo 29 years of training. 

I've completed the game now and feel strongly that the game is genius level.  After starting with Axel, I switched to Blaze and didn't swap characters until I'd seen the credits.  I don't know if it's just because I was getting used to the game in general, but I found Blaze easier to use.  Visually, her design is better than ever too; they've really got her 100% right. 

What's brilliant about this game is that, like many of the classic Sega brawlers, it's tough but you feel it can be mastered.  It's not a coin-op wanting you to continually insert credits.  In fact, unlike previous games in the series, you have to get through each level on one credit.  I can't complete the whole game in one credit yet, but it feels achievable.

Edited by Grazza
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this