NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Shantae and the Seven Sirens

m8MfJrS.gif

That's all we have to go off of, but I'm still Ret 2 Go anyway! :D 

Edited by Dcubed

After Half-Genie Hero, I'm not that fussed. They should trace back and look at what made Pirate's Curse so great or just convert to a tight platformer instead of Metroidvania.

55 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

After Half-Genie Hero, I'm not that fussed. They should trace back and look at what made Pirate's Curse so great or just convert to a tight platformer instead of Metroidvania.

Half-Genie Hero is the only Shantae game I've played so far. I liked it but thought that some of the backtracking was way too tedious. What's different in Pirate's Curse? Aren't all Shantae games Metroidvanias?

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

Well it looks like they're going back to the simpler 2D backgrounds of the previous games, so that's a good sign that they're keeping to a reasonable scope for themselves this time...

6WYAcQ8.png

If that initial video clip of Shantae 5 is anything to go by, it looks like they might be ditching the 3D backgrounds... which should mean that they wont have to spend nearly as much time and money on the background visuals this time... which hopefully should mean that they'll be able to actually make a full game without gameplay compromises this time!

Half-Genie Hero is the only Shantae game I've played so far. I liked it but thought that some of the backtracking was way too tedious. What's different in Pirate's Curse? Aren't all Shantae games Metroidvanias?

@drahkon.  HGH is actually unlike the rest of the games.  Shantae 1-3 are Metroidvanias of the same vein as the Wonderboy/Monster World series; while HGH was supposed to be a more traditional Stage Clear style platformer; ala DKC.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but HGH was originally supposed to have a lot more levels and content than it ended up having.  The game failed to hit most of its Kickstarter stretch goals; and it's very very obvious that they introduced all of the tedious backtracking to pad out the game's length (half of the game's transformations are just given to you, unlike the others that come at the end of levels; it's really obvious that they were originally supposed to have full levels of their own originally).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

That’s a shame. I absolutely love the art style in HGH. Looking forward to the game anyway.

Yeah I really liked HGH's graphical presentation, so it is a bit of a shame they seem to be going back to the simpler style. On the other hand, if this means a more complete game plus more humour in the style of Pirate's Curse then please do!

Well, that's a coincidence.  I downloaded Half-Genie Hero yesterday evening and have been enjoying it very much (I had it on Wii U, but waited until I could buy the full version, rather than add DLC onto it).

Truth be told, I had fallen out of love with the Shantae series, but to be fair, Half-Genie Hero is better than I remembered.  I'd forgotten just how excellent Jake Kaufman's music was, and how it completely sculpts the atmosphere.  It's still only my 3rd favourite (after Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse), but I'm glad I gave it another chance.

It's very good news there's going to be another one, anyway.  I already like the character drawing by the "Shantae 5" logo more than the previous game, and hope there's still time to improve the in-game sprites (at the moment, it seems to be something on an asset re-use).  The art style in HGH was at times excellent though - I was marvelling at the incredibly smooth animation on the mermaid boss, and hope they can bring that kind of style back to Shantae herself (and Risky).

• Thanks 1

Well, yep. I'm probably buying that. Always want more Shantae games.

After all, she's good enough to be referenced in Smash Bros.

"Shantae 5" now has a proper title! And we've gotten our first proper details about the game at last! (Yes I know there is already a Shantae 5 thread, but we have a proper name now; so the thread title should reflect that).

https://wayforward.com/wayforward-reveals-official-title-and-new-details-for-shantae-and-the-seven-sirens/

Having previously announced the next game in the Shantae series back in March, we are proud to reveal the official title for the hotly anticipated action-adventure-platformer: Shantae and the Seven Sirens.

Formerly referred to as Shantae 5, Shantae and the Seven Sirens sends the belly-dancing, hair-whipping, half-genie hero to a tropical island where Shantae and her friends encounter other Half-Genie allies, but they soon learn there’s trouble in paradise. As Shantae gets caught up in the island’s sinister secrets, she’ll use all-new dance abilities and instant-transformation Fusion Magic to explore the nonlinear, interconnected world where she’ll visit multiple towns, overcome treacherous labyrinths, and battle dastardly bosses. The game also features a new collectible card system that grants players the freedom to augment Shantae’s powers to suit their own style of play.  

Key Features:

• Explore an interconnected world using new Fusion Magic creature transformations, including a newt and other aquatic forms!
  • 4K-resolution hand-painted visuals (on 4K devices only)!
  • All-new characters and returning favorites like Rottytops, Sky, Bolo, and the nefarious Risky Boots!
  • Collect and power up with monster cards!
  • Enjoy minigames, acquire magic and items, and uncover secrets!
  • Gorgeously animated TV-style cutscenes!

06_900.png

05_900.png

04_900.png

03_900.png

02_900.png

01_900.png

Looks like they're returning to the metroidvania style of the first three Shantae games.  The visuals are a clear step down from Half Genie Hero, but the game looks to be far broader in scope as a result.  Good news all round! :D 

• Thanks 1

Right; sorted out the dupe threads (had no idea that I could actually change the thread title after all this time! Thought it would have to be a forum mod :blush:).

Anywho.  Carry on!

• Like 1

Well this is surprising...

awdqS4W_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

... looks like this'll be the first ever Shantae game to not have a soundtrack done by Jake Kaufman...

So this is odd... Looks like the game is being released in episodic form on Apple Arcade prior to its full Switch release?

First part is out now and there's some gameplay footage floating about...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Clever... I don't like it but it is clever on some level.

Release the entire Shantae and the Seven Sirens episodically on Apple TV, get people to subscribe at £4.99 a month, release game in at least four parts over a four month time-frame...

Then if anyone is subscribing just for that one game then they've paid £20 but they'll likely try out other games as well and in the meantime footage appears from each part.

So then people see the game being played, are more aware of it and even if they won't be subscribing to Apple Arcade. (I sure as hell won't be) At least they know the game is coming.

Just as long as the Switch version is released as a complete game, in physical form with no compromises then I suppose it's a win-win situation.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ike said:

Do we have a time frame when the Switch version is supposed to be released yet?

No clue.  I think it's safe to say at this point that it's not gonna arrive this year though.  Wayforward have been almost radio silent about this game as a whole really ::shrug:

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

Clever... I don't like it but it is clever on some level.

Release the entire Shantae and the Seven Sirens episodically on Apple TV, get people to subscribe at £4.99 a month, release game in at least four parts over a four month time-frame...

Then if anyone is subscribing just for that one game then they've paid £20 but they'll likely try out other games as well and in the meantime footage appears from each part.

So then people see the game being played, are more aware of it and even if they won't be subscribing to Apple Arcade. (I sure as hell won't be) At least they know the game is coming.

Just as long as the Switch version is released as a complete game, in physical form with no compromises then I suppose it's a win-win situation.

Well this isn't actually the first time that Wayforward have experimented with an episodic Shantae game... Risky's Revenge on DSiWare was originally going to be an episodic title, but somewhere along the way they decided to just make it into a single standalone release; so they've actually been wanting to do something like this for a while now.

I suspect that the main reason why this game is happening to begin with though is because Apple are funding the game.  It was originally announced alongside the Apple Arcade service and though it has never been exclusive, it has always been pushed as an Apple Arcade title first and foremost; so I'm betting that they have some sort of deal with Apple going on behind the scenes (which is also probably why they've been pretty quiet about the game as a whole so far).

• Thanks 1

So... this early release is being done in two parts?

Shouldn't be too long before the full game comes out then I suppose!

Edited by Dcubed

I finished part 1 of this yesterday, with just over 3 hours of gameplay on the clock (although a bit of that was me going around in circles trying to figure out where to go/what to do next :heh:) it’s a fun game though, looks and sounds great too. Will be keeping an eye out for part 2. :cool: 

• Thanks 1

The PC/console version is pushed back a little to Spring 2020, as well as Arcade version part 2. Ah well, I can wait as long as it results in a better polish. Although it's strange that they need more time while part 1 is already out there.

• Thanks 2

I was a little late to the Shantae party, but having just completed the first 3 games I’m looking forward to this!  I’ve been really impressed at the games so far, and seeing how the mechanics have evolved over time.  The witty writing & great music has been consistent, although I’m a little worried about starting HGH following the earlier comments from people.

Sign in to follow this