NEurope
Hero-of-Time

State of Play (Tuesday 10th Dec 2019)

" Oh, look! They are copying Nintendo again. "  :indeed: 

Now that nonsense is out of the way hopefully we can enjoy this thread.

SoP-Featured.jpg?w=1280

Today, we’re introducing a new video program called State of Play, and the first episode kicks off Monday, March 25 at 2:00pm Pacific Time.

State of Play will give you updates and announcements from the world of PlayStation. Our first episode will showcase upcoming PS4 and PS VR software, including new trailers, new game announcements and new gameplay footage.

You can watch live on Twitch, YouTube, Twitter or Facebook worldwide, and we’ll be offering up the VOD edition shortly after the episode airs.

And this is just the beginning! State of Play will return throughout the year with more updates and announcements.

Sounds a bit like Inside Xbox, which isn't really a good thing. :p 

@Dcubed I see you're doing well in the same thread over on Era. :D 

• Haha 3

Great another Nintendo Direct to cover... wait wha... :blank:

Playstation Direct?

Oh OK, carry on then. :D

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Figured I'd have a bit of fun with them :p 

Actually am looking forward to seeing what they have to say here, despite the evidence to the contrary.  They've been very quiet as of late, so I'm interested in seeing if it is indeed because they actually do have nothing to show; or if this really is a change in their communication strategy.

Not really expecting anything major here, but would be pleasantly surprised to hear otherwise!

• Haha 1

Interesting change of pace for Sony. I suspect that while they'll give focus at times to some of the remaining bigger budget games they have coming through the remainder of the year and beyond (the likes of Ghosts of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part 2 and Death Stranding, with a trailer for at least one or two of these in this first showing) they might choose to spend time focusing on their smaller titles like Dreams and Concrete Genie alongside 3 party offerings. There'll probably be quite a heavy emphasis on VR titles given the boost the platform had last year with titles like Moss, Astro Bot and Beat Saber.

I'd be very interested to see if they're going to be more vocal in regards to indie support as they've quietened on this a lot over the last couple of years in spite of that support still coming (though it does feel a bit slower now thanks to indie devs favouring a release on the Switch or Microsoft's early access program on the Xbox One).

I get the cynicism from people at the announcement and how it wreaks of copying Nintendo's and Microsoft's approaches but more frequent news drops through this is a good idea for maintaining consumer engagement in the twilight years of the PS4.

Interested in what they'll be showing. I'm not expecting anything mind blowing but still looking forward to hearing about their smaller first party titles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

Interesting change of pace for Sony. I suspect that while they'll give focus at times to some of the remaining bigger budget games they have coming through the remainder of the year and beyond (the likes of Ghosts of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part 2 and Death Stranding, with a trailer for at least one or two of these in this first showing) they might choose to spend time focusing on their smaller titles like Dreams and Concrete Genie alongside 3 party offerings. There'll probably be quite a heavy emphasis on VR titles given the boost the platform had last year with titles like Moss, Astro Bot and Beat Saber.

I'd be very interested to see if they're going to be more vocal in regards to indie support as they've quietened on this a lot over the last couple of years in spite of that support still coming (though it does feel a bit slower now thanks to indie devs favouring a release on the Switch or Microsoft's early access program on the Xbox One).

I get the cynicism from people at the announcement and how it wreaks of copying Nintendo's and Microsoft's approaches but more frequent news drops through this is a good idea for maintaining consumer engagement in the twilight years of the PS4.

Interested in what they'll be showing. I'm not expecting anything mind blowing but still looking forward to hearing about their smaller first party titles.

This is what i'm hoping for. I loved playing through the games on my PSVR but I blitzed through most of them in the space of a month. I need more. :( Thankfully this is out soon...

Edited by Hero-of-Time

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This is what i'm hoping for. I loved playing through the games on my PSVR but I blitzed through most of them in the space of a month. I need more. :( Thankfully this is out soon...

You'll be happy to know then that Ghost Giant is out on April 16th apparently. Digital release then with a physical coming on April 19th going by what I saw recently on Zoink's Twitter page (a quick Google check has throw these dates up as well though the date is still TBC on the PlayStation website).

Weird that the news about them releasing PS exclusives on the PC wasn't saved for this...

4 minutes ago, bob said:

Weird that the news about them releasing PS exclusives on the PC wasn't saved for this...

It’s not their news though, it’s Quantic Dream’s

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

" Oh, look! They are copying Nintendo again. "  :indeed: 

Now that nonsense is out of the way hopefully we can enjoy this thread.

Z7HeRxU.png

You know it's funny because it's true.

@Dcubed, I had a look at what you said over there.

Why would you say that? You know ResetEra are very sensitive about people saying bad things.

Don't tease them like that.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2

I doubt many on here are that fussed but for those who are wanting to watch it live it will be starting in 40mins.

• Thanks 1

Interested to see what they've got to show. There's not been an update to the EU playstation blog post today for the weeks releases so I imagine that there's possibly some indie title that's going to be shadow dropped tonight or tomorrow morning. Hoping for a good show as there really isn't much coming up that's catching my eye game wise.

Wow! Even the video format is an absolute baldfaced ripoff of Nintendo Direct.  It's not even remotely subtle :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 2

I'm happy they went the Direct route over the Inside Xbox one. It's a much better format and keeps things snappy without the cringe presenters.

Nice to have some dates for VR games such as Everbodys Golf and Blood and Truth. My headset hasn't had much use lately but that looks set to change.

Other than that it was a pretty meh event and one that wasn't really needed. These events/shows only work if there's at least one big announcement or plenty of new stuff on show. I don't think this had either.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

So... that's it? Nothing else?

Why even bother if you've got nothing to really show :blank:

• Like 1

Short, sweet and to the point.

Not much new, but I like the style of the video.

Edited by drahkon

It's the better format but yeah, they need to have the games to back it up. Really didn't feel like much of that was necessary. Do we really need another Days Gone trailer? Netherrealms could easily have just stuck our their own character trailers for MK11 and got the same amount of coverage too. And the VR stuff could easily have been done with a more in-depth blog post on each game.

No release date for Concrete Genie is still a bit of a bummer. It's probably a game that's not going to handle itself in the Fall release window and could certainly have done with maybe a May or June release (or even August). Getting a release date for Falcon Age was nice though. One of the few VR games I've been watching mainly as it can be played without VR so won't have long to hear how it all works.

It may be teething issues as they settle into the format and how the bring content to it but it didn't really have much pop or much going for it. I'd guess we'll see at least 1 other State of Play before E3 so hopefully they'll have something stronger to show then.

• Like 1

About to watch, just noticed this, doesn't bode well... :blank:

f55ScreenShot20190325at.jpg

Edited by Ronnie

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

Why even bother if you've got nothing to really show :blank:

Yeah, it is a bit weird. They've been silent for so long and they chose now to break that silence but had nothing really to show for it. They could have easily remained tight lipped and just put these announcements on the blog, which is what they usually do.

• Thanks 1

Glad to see that they're still strongly supporting PSVR, but beyond that, I think it would be an understatement to say that it was underwhelming. That being said, I agree 100% that copying the Direct format is much better than going along the Inside Xbox line of things, like @Hero-of-Time mentioned.

Even a poorly done Nintendo Direct can often be saved, to some extent, by the "But wait, we have one more thing!"; that they had nothing along those lines to share (and by that, I mean even just release dates for the big games that they've already revealed), especially with it now being over nine months since last E3, indicates to me that we can expect a whole lot of nothing from State of Play moving forward. 

After that, I can't help but wonder: what is the point in not turning up at E3 this year? Because based on what we just saw, I don't think I'd be wrong to assume that theure just going to save all of their big news until that period anyways? ::shrug:

On 22/03/2019 at 1:46 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Can we get a link? I can't find a Dcubed in that thread.

Watched a bit of the video. Why the hell didn't they edit out the first 13 minutes. :|

It's off. Almost, but not quite.