NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Blaster Master Zero 2

Easily my favourite announcement out of the Nindie Direct. 

No doubt this will be a thread with just me posting in it but I don't care. :p 

Game is now downloaded and a new adventure begins...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

No doubt this will be a thread with just me posting in it but I don't care. :p 

Game is now downloaded and a new adventure begins...

Well, if I wasn't currently playing through Guacamelee 2 right now I'd probably join you, but yeah... definitely want to finish that before I start something else.

I did very much enjoy the first Blaster Master Zero on Switch though, so this is on the watch list. :)

The first game had some awesome HD Rumble implementation, so I hope they make good use of it in this one too.

Edited by RedShell

HD implementation is also in this but I have no idea what it does as I always knock the feature off. :p 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

HD implementation is also in this but I have no idea what it does as I always knock the feature off. :p 

Duuuuuuuude! You don't know what you're missing...

DeafeningAridHypsilophodon-size_restrict

Nothing at all like that. :heh: But it is good. :hehe:

This looks fantastic, as does the original which came out two years ago. Maybe I'll start with that one first.

Yup, another hit for 10 euros. 

It's a true sequel. Gameplay is familiar, but there's plenty of new stuff and changes.

Biggest is the map screen. The first game was already pretty much broken down into separate levels, so this is a logical next step. And the planetoids work a bit like Shrines. Little challenges that will give you a little award. The planetoids themselves are accessed by maps, increasing the collectables you can find in a level.. The weapons selection is also remixed, with lots of new ones added (spread over Jason main and subweapons, and Sophia main and subweapons). Combat-wise the biggest afddition is the new countermove (which also has verious upgrades), which looks awesome, but also changes the feel of combat, keeping it fresh. New setpieces, updated sprites.. I'm loving it. Can't wait to dump more money into this game when the inevitable dlc characters are released.

Another day, another Inti Creates game completed.

giphy.gif

Spoiler

D2bffdrUkAAtiBS.jpg

D2be9lHU8AAL32w.jpg

I was a HUGE fan of the first game and i'm happy to report that this sequel is just as good. It's certainly longer than the original, with me clocking 100% of the game in just under 10 hours. I also found the sequel to offer more of a challenge than the first one. In the original I would often find myself just sticking to the same weapons and making do but with this game I found that I did have to keep switching things up depending on the situation.

The new counter mechanic is quite neat but I honestly didn't feel the need to use it much, outside of a couple of battles. The final powerup I got for this mechanic came in handy for a couple of boss fights because it allows you to absorb any enemy projectiles and then fire them back at them. It was pretty fun to use but it wasn't really needed and I could have easily done without.

Some of the weapons you get for Sophia were pretty great, with my favourite being this one.

D2bfLJ4UYAAi9Xh.jpg

Using this just destroys anything that hits within that radius. If you max out your SP bar you can slice through enemies pretty quickly and it even works well on certain bosses.

One thing I wasn't keen on is that the developers didn't alter the controls for when you need to climb ladders. It was always a bit fiddly and with you not being able to take much fall damage, if you fall from even the slightest of heights you will die. This has remained in this game and even worse was that they decided to put an optional power up behind this death trap!

D2bfEjzUYAEaj6o.jpg

Seriously, I had more trouble with this section than I did with the final boss fight! :D 

A sweet addition near the end of the game was....

Spoiler

You get to play as Eve!

D2bfaQjVYAEZymY.jpg

It's not an overly long amount of time that you get to control her ( probably an hour or so ) but it was a welcome addition. She plays very differently to Jason and she doesn't have that much health, at least when compared to what you should have at that point in the game. Using the time slowing mechanic was quite fun and with her not being an attacking character it made for some fun boss fights.

I had a good laugh against one of the final bosses. It was wonderful moment.

Spoiler

Shades of The Wonderful 101 right here. :p I was hammering that A button like there was no tomorrow. it was a real hype moment.

Once again Inti Creates have delivered the goods. With people speculation on what Indie developers could handle a Nintendo franchise I would love to see these guys take on a Metroid game. I certainly think they have the talent to pull it off.

For me, this is yet another must have Switch game that has been created by these guys. I highly recommend both the original game and this.

1312226.jpg?b64lines=SW50aSBDcmVhdGVzLCBZT1UnVkUgRE9ORSBJVAogQUdBSU4u

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just finished it myself.

I left the game after a few attempts at

The Planade-G boss. His health regeneration was annoying.

But after your post, I gave it another go, and changed tactics. One thing this games does better than its predecessor is the the other weapons have more uses. For this boss,

I tried using those spring thingies and concentrated more on clearing the enemies on screen. This worked much better.

I did the rest as well, I already had all the items, so I got the good ending. Yay! Though no unlockable new world unfortunately. I was also hoping I would be able to play as the other MA's.

Anyway, bring on the dlc.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I left the game after a few attempts at

Hide contents

The Planade-G boss. His health regeneration was annoying.

But after your post, I gave it another go, and changed tactics. One thing this games does better than its predecessor is the the other weapons have more uses. For this boss,

Hide contents

I tried using those spring thingies and concentrated more on clearing the enemies on screen. This worked much better.

I quite liked that boss fight. It was a very unique way to deal damage. :D 

How do you rate the game in comparison to the first one?

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I quite liked that boss fight. It was a very unique way to deal damage. :D 

How do you rate the game in comparison to the first one?

Overall slightly better I think.

+ Lots of new weapons, which are better balanced.
+ Fred warping
+ Shrines Planetoids
+ NPC's
+

Playable Eve

- No unlockable new world.
- I wish they made exploration harder by removing objective markers. Or something.
≈ familiar gameplay but with enough variations in weapons and mechanics to feel fresh.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

The pre-orders are live for both Blaster Master Zero & 2 but personally, I can't justify it in this instance.

I already own the first game from when it came out, I did plan on picking up the second one but these are £8.99 games...

If it was both games on one cartridge, then maybe but while each game getting a separate release is cool, £30 + per game and the shipping etc is not so cool.

Especially after the whole Streets of Rage 4 pre-order thing, I'm out.

As a collector, I actually want the games as separate releases. I kind of hate all those collections for collecting purposes, I regard them only a little higher than a digital release.

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

As a collector, I actually want the games as separate releases. I kind of hate all those collections for collecting purposes, I regard them only a little higher than a digital release.

Generally, I would agree, it's just that these are pretty small games to begin with, but I know that when it comes to bringing these releases into the physical realm, the cost is likely the same, so the price for each game in the same, it just would have been nice if there was some kind of way in which Limited Run Games could have offered a discount at the very least for buying both of these games at the same time; they don't need to though as they know that these games will sell, whatever happens.

Either way, these are both great games and I believe each of them has a stack of great (mostly free) dlc... so at the very least, all of that will be on the game card(s) but I still think in this instance, I can't justify ordering these and that the money that I could have spent on these could go towards something like the Samurai Shodown NeoGeo Collection perhaps? Which even that is seven (technically) Neo Geo games, some of which you can already get as part of the ACA Neo Geo range, but they are different ports and there is a previously unreleased version of Samurai Shodown V in there.

Anyway, I am glad to see both Blaster Master Zero games get more recognition and it's good to know that there will be physical copies out there but I'll likely stick with the digital releases for these games, as I don't feel the need to buy these, plus I need to save some money where I can.

Sign in to follow this