NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Cuphead (18th April 2019)

The rumours were true with this one. Also, it looks like Xbox Live support for the game is on its way.

Growing out of these recent discussions, we are partnering with StudioMDHR to investigate bringing Xbox Live features beyond Xbox and PC to Nintendo Switch. Yes, this means that fans will now have the opportunity to experience StudioMDHR’s award-winning debut game on Nintendo Switch with Xbox Live! We’ll be working with StudioMDHR to implement Xbox Live features into Cuphead on the Nintendo Switch in the coming months. Given the early stage of our work with StudioMDHR, the Xbox Live features will appear in a post-launch update to Cuphead on Nintendo Switch. We’d like to thank Studio MDHR and Nintendo for their help in this investigation!

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

Physical release please, just imagine the potential boxart! :D

• Thanks 1

I for one like this Microsoft-supporting-Nintendo-platforms future!

Looking forward to seeing Gears of War, Forza and (eventually) Rare Replay on my Switch! :D 

What does Xbox Live features on Switch mean? Voice chat, friends, high scores? 

It's great to see 2 of the hardware manufacturers coming together as Nintendo and Microsoft have done in the last year or so. And seeing Cuphead coming to Switch is another example of that relationship and how strong it is to bring one of, if not the biggest, indie game from Microsoft to the console.

Cuphead is a fantastic game but infuriating difficult at times, though never enough to make me want to turn it off from frustration in my time playing when I had my Xbox One briefly. I wouldn't be comfortable playing it portable on the Switch given how difficult the game can be with the worry of throwing or breaking the console (I know it's well built but I'd still rather play it docked) but for everyone looking to pick up, enjoy as it is a great game beyond the aesthetics. Just be prepared for that difficulty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the worst kept secrets in the industry but it still took me by surprise, I thought it was Cuphead when the video started but dismissed it because I didn't think it really counted as an 'indie' title considering Microsoft published it.

I'm interested in playing it but don't really have experience playing bullet hell shooters so can definitely imagine it frustrating me.

“It is on my Steam Wishlist, but I guess I'll go buy it for Switch instead.”

But I'll wait and go grab the physical release when it's out. This is one of those games that makes more sense on a Nintendo console.

The developer revealed some technical info, the port has been done in house and is targeting 60FPS at 720p handheld and 1080p docked. The game will most likely suffer dips in resolution in order to keep the frame rate up but the fact that they're even targeting 1080/60 is really impressive to me.

This is the type of game that I think is better suited to the Switch. Quick pick up and play when you have 5-10 minutes here or there. I was holding off buying it on Xbox for that very reason. Can't wait to finally play this game.

Out now! 

Bought it yesterday as a friend came over and we spent about 2.5 hours on it, clearing island 1. We had a mighty good time, died a lot but laughed at it as the deaths were completely our own faults. The presentation is just superb, it's amazing. 

The game itself is good fun even though it's rather hard. Some of the boss fights were not so difficult but then we found two in particular that we spent ages trying to beat. Again and again and again. 

I don't know if I'll continue the game in single player or just wait for him to come over again some time. The game is a bit harder in coop, I saw someone mention as bullets do less damage, meaning that you are fucked if one dies. Some places also had disappearing platforms which made the platforming hard for two people. 

Can recommend, though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So yeah, I was totally getting this game... and then the 3.0 update for Smash Bros. arrived. :hehe: Sorry Cuphead. :heh:

Reckon I'll wait for the physical release now.

Fuck me Cuphead is hard! Haha

Loving it though, just finished the first isle.

Have to admit the difficulty is putting me off getting it. I mean I probably still will, I think it's one of those games you just have to play, but I can imagine it being really frustrating and I'll prob never finish it.

Edited by Ronnie

11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Have to admit the difficulty is putting me off getting it. I mean I probably still will, I think it's one of those games you just have to play, but I can imagine it being really frustrating and I'll prob never finish it.

Hollow Knight is harder.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

It's why I dropped off from it on the PC.

I'm a sucker for a good hand drawn art style, but games that advertise itself as brutally difficult are just not for me. And apparently, playing co-op makes the players bullets weaker, so eff that.

Which is a shame, because it's right up there with Wonder Boy as some of the best looking Switch games.

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Hollow Knight is harder.

Really?? I beat Hollow Knight relatively easily (some challenges and optional bosses not so much), but my eyes widened at the punishing nature of Cuphead in the first level and to be frank I never gave it a second chance.

51 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Really?? I beat Hollow Knight relatively easily (some challenges and optional bosses not so much), but my eyes widened at the punishing nature of Cuphead in the first level and to be frank I never gave it a second chance.

I think so, yes. Cuphead is about learning the pattern and is a very condense game at that. It doesn't have the inbetween structure of Hollow Knight where things are quiet but it's not as long either. The bosses of Hollow Knight were very hard (IMO) with a lot more strategy to them, you had to figure out which attacks to use when and such and also learn their patterns and how to avoid them, whereas Cuphead is straightforward shooting and learning the patterns. Once you have the patterns down, it's "just" about remembering them - trial and error in the best way possible. So yes, I find Hollow Knight harder because of the depth of the combat. Not much, but still. There were also single bosses that I spent an hour on in that game.

5 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Hollow Knight is harder.

Don’t think I’ll bother with Hollow Knight after all then. :blank:

1 minute ago, Kav said:

Cuphead is easier...? :p

26 minutes ago, Kav said:

BOTHER WITH IT!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

BOTHER WITH IT!

...but if it’s harder than Cuphead I’d probably find it too much of a chore.

I think if Cuphead wasn’t so bloody lovely to look at I’d not bother with it either, haha.

Edited by Kav

Cleared the second island yesterday. Didn't find it exceptionally hard, though I did spend quite some time on the dragon boss which wasn't really hard until his final phase but I just kept dying nonetheless as I got reckless. I got about B's most of the time so there's room for improvements - not something I'll bother with, though.

Sign in to follow this