NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Cadence of Hyrule

I had no interest in Crypt of the Necrodancer but for some strange reason this game appeals to me. :D 

• Thanks 1

Ohh, looks nice.

Shame I will probably never going to play it :( Or rather not for at least 2-3 years ::shrug: 

Edit: It does look to be more on the casual side so all of you noobs can enjoy it :p 

Edited by drahkon

What an amazing surprise! So essentially we are getting two 2D Zeldas this year, one original and one remake. Couldn't have asked for more from the Zelda franchise than that this year.

Btw I wonder if the "Spring" release date for this means that Link's Awakening is coming out in December, as expected.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tim B said:

What an amazing surprise! So essentially we are getting two 2D Zeldas this year, one original and one remake. Couldn't have asked for more from the Zelda franchise than that this year.

Btw I wonder if the "Spring" release date for this means that Link's Awakening is coming out in December, as expected.

Mainline Zelda games always come out in November.  I expect the Link's Awakening remake to be no different.

Edited by Dcubed

12 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Mainline Zelda games always come out in November.  I expect the Link's Awakening remake to be no different.

But so do Pokémon games....Surely one of the two has to get bumped to December? I'm working on the basis that Animal Crossing is September and Luigi's Mansion 3 is October.

17 minutes ago, Tim B said:

But so do Pokémon games....Surely one of the two has to get bumped to December? I'm working on the basis that Animal Crossing is September and Luigi's Mansion 3 is October.

If we look back at 2013 (the year that is the closest analog to this year's lineup), both Pokemon X/Y and Zelda ALBW came out in November.

So far, it looks like Nintendo have been attempting to replicate that year's lineup as best they can... So I suspect that they'll pull the same stunt again here!

• Like 1

@Hero of Time geez, don't embed tweets to show trailers man.

So I actually never cared for Crypt of the Necromancer. I think I still don't (and as a result I don't care for this game either) but if there's a demo, I may have to confirm for myself whether I really don't like it or not. I must admit though, that was a pretty slick trailer, and a succesful way to create some hype.

Edited by Sméagol

6 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

@Hero of Time geez, don't embed tweets to show trailers man.

Well excuuuuuuuussse me princess.

Trailer wasn't up in the Era topic when I posted this. Plus, I was doing all the topic posting on my piece of junk phone. 

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

53 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

If we look back at 2013 (the year that is the closest analog to this year's lineup), both Pokemon X/Y and Zelda ALBW came out in November.

So far, it looks like Nintendo have been attempting to replicate that year's lineup as best they can... So I suspect that they'll pull the same stunt again here!

Sounds good to me. That means an as yet unannounced name can potentially come out in December this year ;)

• Thanks 1

That's a very slick trailer.

Art style is gorgeous, lovely sprite work and the gameplay looks fun.

Still pretty crazy Nintendo lending it's beloved IP like this.

Also... Cadence of Hyrule - Crypt of the NecroDancer featuring the Legend of Zelda must be a record for a game title.

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I'm sitting here playing Hyrule Warriors and chuckling to myself at how much that ship already sailed.

And let's not forget the Capcom Zelda games.

This was a crazy surprise and it looks good. However, rythm games are not my thing, and I mostly play with low to no sound at all so I don't think that's a good thing for this...

On 3/20/2019 at 11:50 PM, Ronnie said:

That's a very slick trailer.

Art style is gorgeous, lovely sprite work and the gameplay looks fun.

Also... Cadence of Hyrule - Crypt of the NecroDancer featuring the Legend of Zelda must be a record for a game title.

It’s not quite the winner...

1037762_0.jpg

MARIO AND SONIC AT THE LONDON TWO THOUSAND AND TWELVE OLYMPIC GAMES VIRTUAL CARD ALBUM!!!

It is pretty close though!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I'm sitting here playing Hyrule Warriors and chuckling to myself at how much that ship already sailed.

Slight difference between giving their IP to an indie dev compared to Koei Tecmo and Capcom. :heh: 

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

However, rythm games are not my thing, and I mostly play with low to no sound at all so I don't think that's a good thing for this...

Crypt of the Necrodancer has a beat indicator on the bottom of the screen. It's entirely possible to play the game without sound. But the sound/music is what makes the game even better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

There's a big difference between lending Capcom and Koei Tecmo the Zelda IP and lending it to "Brace Yourself Games".

Considering how hard I failed at the dancing minigame in Yakuza 0 (which is pretty much exactly the same as this), I don't think I'll enjoy this game.

6 hours ago, RedShell said:

Slight difference between giving their IP to an indie dev compared to Koei Tecmo and Capcom. :heh: 

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

There's a big difference between lending Capcom and Koei Tecmo the Zelda IP and lending it to "Brace Yourself Games".

Make up your damn minds!

Yeah, I realise that, but I don't personally see it as that huge though.

Most indie developers are more ambitious than the bigger companies anyway, so I'm not too surprised, given how much Nintendo are promoting Indies these days.

I expected something like this sooner or later.

• Haha 2

As an aside, imo.. Nintendo do the best box art in the business but their icon designs need work. They're all way too cluttered and busy.

On 3/21/2019 at 7:51 AM, MindFreak said:

This was a crazy surprise and it looks good. However, rythm games are not my thing, and I mostly play with low to no sound at all so I don't think that's a good thing for this...

May I ask what the reason behind this is? It seems pretty strange to do this, especially if you are reviewing games. For me, I think music is a vital part of the experience, much like it is in movies. It can help elevate games and even create memories. I can't count the number of times where I have listened to a piece of gaming music and memories of my past have came flooding back. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

As an aside, imo.. Nintendo do the best box art in the business but their icon designs need work. They're all way too cluttered and busy.

Their icon designs are their boxart!

Splatoon 2 is the one weird exception though :blank:

Edited by Dcubed

29 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Their icon designs are their boxart!

Splatoon 2 is the one weird exception though :blank:

I get that, but what works on a box doesn't really work on a tiny little icon, imo, especially compared to other publishers who don't fill theirs with as many characters and assets as possible.

It's why I think the Splatoon 2 icon works really well, it's not a cluttered mess.

Edited by Ronnie

30 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

May I ask what the reason behind this is? It seems pretty strange to do this, especially if you are reviewing games. For me, I think music is a vital part of the experience, much like it is in movies. It can help elevate games and even create memories. I can't count the number of times where I have listened to a piece of gaming music and memories of my past have came flooding back. 

Sure. It's partly because I don't want to disturb others around me when I play handheld and don't want to shut myself out of my surroundings. When I review a game, I just put the sound on low so I at least can hear it. But to be honest, it's also because I don't really notice the music unless it changes drastically. It's just there to me, and I very rarely remember the music from games. Heck, I've played 80+ hours of Xenoblade 2 and cannot remember one single tune (and I played that with sound for the most part). It just doesn't really do anything for me and thus, I don't really care about it. 

• Thanks 1

I think I've watched the Cadence of Hyrule trailer a dozen times. I'm way more excited about it than the Link's Awakening remake tbh.

I really hope if it sells well (which it will) it'll open the door to other indie devs being given the keys to Nintendo properties. Team Cherry or Image & Form could make an amazing Metroid game. Or use indies to ressurect long lost properties, say Shin'en for F-Zero or the Celeste devs for Ice Climber.

I guess the question then becomes what's in it for Nintendo to keep doing that, when they can just make their own games and make the money themselves. I think what Hyrule Warriors, Mario + Rabbids and now Cadence of Hyrule has shown is that they like to loan out their IP as long as the game mechanics are something brand new and unexpected, not the sort of game structure they would ever make on their own, which diversifies the IP and keeps their own flavour intact for their own installments.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this