NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Konami 50th Anniversary Collection Series

Seems like Konami remembered that they used to publish games, because they just announced a new series of classic game complications for Switch! :D 

https://www.konami.com/games/50th/ac/us/en/

D2EQTwcU0AA74Ei?format=jpg&name=medium

The game lineup known so far...

fsf7zj0j.png

Arcade Classics

adafa8kqy.png

Contra Collection

sfsdaijrn.png

Castlevania Collection

From the website description. it looks like there might be more than one Castlevania collection coming?

Going by the online chatter I’ve seen, these collections are apparently being made by Hamster; the guys responsible for the Arcade Archives series.  So the emulation will probably actually be good here!

eShop only.  $19.99 (probably €19.99/£14.99 for us); and a lot of hopes and dreams! :D 

• Like 3

I'm wishing that we get the GBA Castlevania games, as well as stuff like Vampire's Kiss and The New Generation.

I was hoping that the arcade games would be ones that were made later down the line. I would do bad things for an arcade port of Sunset Riders.

I wonder if we will see the WiiWare Rebirth games make an appearance in these collections? 

I know its an odd request for the Nintendo section but could we add which platforms games are on to the titles here as well? Sometimes we only bother with the one thread in this section when stuff is coming elsewhere as well and it just makes it look like an exclusive.

Just now, Ronnie said:

Probotector or no buy!

Kidding.

Kind of

Indeed. I mean, what's the Contra game collection? I've never heard of that series before. :D 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm wishing that we get the GBA Castlevania games, as well as stuff like Vampire's Kiss and The New Generation.

I was hoping that the arcade games would be ones that were made later down the line. I would do bad things for an arcade port of Sunset Riders.

I wonder if we will see the WiiWare Rebirth games make an appearance in these collections? 

I’d imagine that a potential second  Castlevania Collection would be focused on the Igavania titles.  This first one seems to be just the 8 and 16 bit titles; so I’m expecting the four remaining titles to be Dracula X/Vampire’s Kiss, Bloodlines/The New Generation, Simon’s Quest and Castlevania Chronicles/Castlevania X68000.

Just when I'm about to get round to playing my Mega Drive copy of Castlevania: The New Generation and Konami release a collection with it probably in it. :p

I'm not complaining... the more people that get to experience the only Castlevania game on the Mega Drive, the better, assuming it's one of the games to be added. :D

Plus not forgetting the rest of the titles and collections, this is very good news indeed. :smile:

I just kind of wish for physical versions of these... so I'll be left wondering for a while whether or not to buy these when they come out.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Indeed. I mean, what's the Contra game collection? I've never heard of that series before. :D 

These 6 seconds are still burned into my brain. I mentally play it whenever I'm about to go out Christmas shopping on Oxford Street

17 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I just kind of wish for physical versions of these... so I'll be left wondering for a while whether or not to buy these when they come out.

This generation, especially for the Switch, has been a bit of a nightmare for those still wanting physical goods. You want to play these types of games as soon as they release but a month or two down the line they go and announce a physical version. It's very annoying. :mad: It's got to the point now where i'm very reluctant to buy indie games/eShop games on day 1.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

Kid Dracula is a great inclusion! As is Bloodlines (though I'll probably play that on the Mega Drive mini instead).

Castlevania II Belmont’s Revenge is also a nice surprise! Castlevania: The Adventure... not so much... (should've been the Wii Ware game instead...)

Overall, not bad!

It gets better!  They're actually giving Kid Dracula NES a full English localisation!!

kun.png

What a horrible day to have an English localisation!

Honestly shocked! I was absolutely expecting them to see them just dump the Japanese ROM on there and call it a day! I can't believe that Konami of all publishers is actually putting the effort in to give a brand new localisation to a (previously) Japan-only NES game!! That's amazing! :D 

If only we could get Nintendo to give the NES and SNES Fire Emblems the same treatment...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1
  • Weird 1

Ha! That's another Konami title I happened to acquire recently but I hadn't gotten around to playing yet. :D

I might have to play them both to see how they compare now. ;)

The full games list from the Contra collection has been announced.

Nicked from Era.

m.ign.com
  • Contra (Arcade)
  • Super Contra (Arcade)
  • Super C (NES)
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
  • Contra: Hard Corps (Sega Genesis)
  • Contra (NES)
  • Contra (Famicom)
  • Operation C (Game Boy)
  • Probotector (Sega Mega Drive)
  • Super Probotector: Alien Rebels (SNES)

On top of these variants, players will also receive the Japanese versions of six Contra games:

• Contra (Arcade)
  • Super Contra (Arcade) – known as Super Contra: Alien No Gyakushu in Japan
  • Super C – known as Super Contra in Japan
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars – known as Contra Spirits in Japan
  • Operation C – known as Contra in Japan
  • Contra: Hard Corps – known as Contra: The Hard Corps in Japan

• Thanks 2

Pretty cheeky of them to pad out the list by having the regional variants counted as separate games...

Still, at least NES Contra 1 is finally getting a re-release.  It’s insane to think that (outside of its inclusion in Contra 4; where it didn’t play ideally on the DS), we have never had a re-release of NES Contra 1 until now!

Really hope that they’re planning follow-up collections after the first three.  There’s so many games left in these series (and in Konami’s vault in general) that desperately need re-releases!

• Thanks 1

Nice!! The Contra Collection actually includes brand new 60hz versions of all of the PAL Probotector games! They all display correctly and play at the proper speed! Awesome! (You can also select the original 50hz versions, if you like worse gameplay).

That’s really awesome! We finally have proper playing versions of robot arse kicking! Everybody wins! :D 

Also, screw the haters, I’m really looking forward to Contra Rogue Corps! The visuals don’t look amazing, but it looks like a proper sequel to Neo Contra and that game was awesome!

36 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Also, screw the haters, I’m really looking forward to Contra Rogue Corps! The visuals don’t look amazing, but it looks like a proper sequel to Neo Contra and that game was awesome!

Cool that you're looking forward to it, but for me it has to be by far the worst thing I saw at E3 this year! In fact I can't believe it's actually real, it really does look like a joke. :heh: The art style is absolutely repugnant, and the terrible graphics and animation (the characters look like they're having a seizure when firing their guns) make it even worse. :shakehead

ShortGlitteringBlackbear-size_restricted

I wouldn't care if this was it's own thing, but slapping the Contra name on to it is sacrilege. :mad: Konami have stooped to a new low, which is quite the achievement. :laughing:

At least they're not screwing with Mystical Ninja or TwinBee like this, don't think I could cope with that. :nono: 

@Dcubed, a demo for Contra Rogue Corps is now up on the eShop.

It actually doesn’t play as bad as it looks. :heh: It really does look terrible though, especially in portable mode. By far the worst image quality I’ve ever seen on Switch, the resolution seems insanely low! Like 240p low. :laughing: 

The Digital Foundry vid should be interesting for this one. :D 

Yeah I tried it (only in handheld mind you).  It’s butt ugly, but actually plays pretty well.  It’s decidedly slower paced than Neo Contra, but I actually quite enjoyed the demo (I laughed when Kaiser threw the tank as well :laughing:).

Was surprised to see that it seems to have been made by the same developer that worked on Dragon Quest 11! (Toylogic).  Wasn’t expecting that!

Seems like it’ll be worth a pick up when it goes on sale.

40 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I laughed when Kaiser threw the tank as well :laughing:

Have to admit, that also made me laugh. Best bit of the whole demo. :hehe: 

41 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Seems like it’ll be worth a pick up when it goes on sale.

It’ll have to be a pretty spectacular discount to get me onboard, they want £40 for this, right? :o 

Sign in to follow this