NEurope
Glen-i

N-Europe's Top 10 (Voting over, check first post for results)

I'm not a huge fan of the GBA so this was a difficult list to compile..

Golden Sun
Metroid: Zero Mission
Wario Ware Inc
Mario vs Donkey Kong
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

• Thanks 2

It's Mr Pants

Kuru Kuru Kururin

Mario Kart: Super Circuit

Pokemon Sapphire

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This was another toughie. Stuff like Advance Wars, Legacy of Goku and Metroid Fusion had to be cut. :( 

• Golden Sun
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
  • Mario Kart Super Circuit

I'm now kinda tempted to break out the Wii U and play some of these....

• Thanks 3

Really happy with my choices for this one!

- Pokémon R/S/E

- Red Rescue Team

- Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

- Hamtaro: Ham Ham Heartbreak

- Kirby & the Amazing Mirror

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, markderoos said:

Astro Boy

I really need to get a copy of this and play it. I know @Dcubed has harped on many a time over the years about how good it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The lists seem to be so much more varied this time around. I'm super curious to see what the final Top 10 will look like.

• Advance Wars 2
  • Fire Emblem (Blazing Blade)
  • Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  • Mother 3
  • Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

Pains me to leave out... pretty much every title others mentioned but I didn't. The GBA was a treat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I really need to get a copy of this and play it. I know @Dcubed has harped on many a time over the years about how good it is.

It’s really hard to find a second hand copy for a decent price nowadays.

Last time I saw a copy it was around €50,-

Now try to find a copy of Stranded Kids (the PAL version) or Kid Dracula for Gameboy 😱

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

• In a similar way, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Metroid Zero: Mission fall under the Four Swords Clause, because despite having ports of other games included in the game, the new game can stand on its own merits.

What does Superstar Saga have on the GBA that's a port?

Bloody hell, this is gonna be hard! Gonna have to give this one a think and come back...

... nice to see some good variety with people’s choices! Nice to see more darkhorse titles like THPS2 and It’s Mr Pants getting some love too :) 

Still upset that I can’t choose Golden Sun part 1&2 as one title... Really don’t want to use up two votes on what is ostensibly a single game...

27 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

What does Superstar Saga have on the GBA that's a port?

The Mario Bros arcade game remake.  It was included in every Super Mario Advance release, as well as Superstar Saga (they’re also cross-game compatible for multiplayer too BTW!).

Edited by Dcubed

My top 5 most played GBA games were

Kuru Kuru Kururin

Mario Kart Super Circuit

Warioland IV

Breath of Fire II

Sonic Advance

I played no other games on GBA so discard breath of fire II nomination.

Edited by Gadwin
Game not allowed in nomination
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I definitely played more Game Boy Advance games during the life of the console than I did exclusive GBC games.

Here are my picks...

• Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
  • The Legend of Zelda: the Minish Cap
  • Metroid: Zero Mission
  • Metroid Fusion
  • Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising

That... wasn't too bad, although I feel like I had to choose both Metroid games because I genuinely adore both titles... :D

...but one of those places could have gone to another game.

Look out for the N-E Top Ten GBC Games coming soon to the main site. :peace:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Super Mario Advance ( Super Mario Bros 2, I know...)

Mario Kart Super Circuit

F Zero Maximum Velocity

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga

Metroid Fusion

Done and done!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Super Mario Advance ( Super Mario Bros 2, I know...)

Mario Kart Super Circuit

F Zero Maximum Velocity

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga

Metroid Fusion

Done and done!

No, you certainly are not.

Mario Advance is a remake and compilation title, you have to replace it with something else

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

No, you certainly are not.

Mario Advance is a remake and compilation title, you have to replace it with something else

Fine.

Super Mario Advance 2, then...

If I really can't have Mario Advance, I'll plop Wario Ware in there instead 

Edited by Kaepora_Gaebora
Glen
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mandalore said:

Is Breath of Fire 2 a port?

Yes, it is. Nice catch. Sorry @Gadwin You need to replace that too.

Edited by Glen-i

16 minutes ago, bob said:

Is Dover a port?

Yes, it is. The real question though is...

1448951408274.jpg

I think that's, like, a third into the game. Whoever gave Andy that job needed to be fired.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Ah, the GBA. The second console I owned and the first console where I really felt the generational transition and how my Game Boy Color wasn't really going to have any more games made for it, they were all going to be on the GBA. While I technically played Mario Kart: Super Circuit on a GBA before owning one it was never mine and it wasn't until 2003 that I managed to get one. The GBA was also the console on which I played what would become my favourite game of all time...

...unfortunately however that game is a port of an SNES game and so is inillegible for this list.

I did however do a tier list for GBA games not so long ago so I will use that list as the basis for my picks.

1. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

2. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald (I don't FireRed and LeafGreen count despite the expanded content giving the game a much longer post-game and the progression being slightly different)

3. Metroid Zero Mission

4. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

5. Mario Kart: Super Circuit

Golden Sun: The Lost Age just narrowly missed out this list. I would have loved to have been able to notimate Crash Bandicoot XS and Pokemon Pinball Ruby and Sapphire but I feel that the five nominees here and Golden Sun: Lost Age are in my opinion the best original GBA games.

By the way, the tiermaker I suggested is here: https://tiermaker.com/create/game-boy-advance-games---over-200-games-66872

• Thanks 3

Wow we’re getting tough again as there are a lot of very good games.  I feel this could be a more competitive top 10 than most of the others.  Strangely I don’t think the best are quite as good as some of the other consoles but the pool of “very good” games is still surprisingly large!

• Warioware, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!
  • Golden Sun 2
  • Metroid: Zero Mission
  • Advance Wars 2
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
  • Thanks 1

• Pokémon Sapphire
  • Fire Emblem
  • Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
  • Golden Sun
  • Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  • Thanks 1

Today is the last day for nominations.

I'm gonna remind @Gadwin that he needs to replace Breath of Fire II with something else.

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I'm gonna remind @Gadwin that he needs to replace Breath of Fire II with something else.

I was talking with Gadwin last night and it's genuinely the case that those are the only five GBA games which he's played, we even went through a few titles I thought he might have played at some point but it seems that's just how it is... the GBA was released at a time when lots of Phantasy Star Online was being played by myself, Gadwin and many others. :D

That's where most of our gaming time went, though I was there for when the GBA came out on launch day and picked up quite a few games when I could, even my GBA collection isn't that big but I did pick up some gems when I saw them for a good price, that's how I ended up with titles such as Astro Boy and Gunstar Future Heroes as they were a reasonable price at the time. :)

I'm certain that Gadwin will likely be voting when we cover the GameCube top ten though ;) and probably all the other Top Tens going forward as I know he's played a fair few games on those platforms, although I'm not 100% on Wii U... I think that'll be quite a devisive one when it arrives but it will be interesting to see who played what. :peace:

• Thanks 1

On 29/05/2019 at 10:33 PM, S.C.G said:

Look out for the N-E Top Ten GBC Games coming soon to the main site. :peace:

This should be up tonight with any luck, I intended to get it on the main page by the weekend, nearly there, just getting everything ready to format into the final article. :smile: