NEurope
Glen-i

N-Europe's Top 10 (Voting over, check first post for results)

33 minutes ago, bob said:

Do we have to vote for three games again?

You choose your three favourite games from the shortlist and send me a private message stating which ones are your 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite.

Spoiler
  • Donkey Kong
  • Final Fantasy Adventure
  • Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (For The Frog The Bell Tolls)
  • Game Boy Camera
  • Kirby's Block Ball
  • Kirby's Dream Land
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge
  • Metroid II: Return of Samus
  • Mole Mania
  • Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow
  • Super Mario Land
  • Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
  • Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
  • Tetris

Voting is now closed!

So while we get to work on the article, we're moving on.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

SNES_Console_lg._V344019168_.jpg

Released in 1992, the Super Nintendo (More commonly known as the SNES) was pretty much what it said on the tin, a more powerful console than the NES. The SNES library is arguably more impressive than it's older brother and there are more than a few masterpieces in the extensive catalogue it sports. This one might be the toughest choice yet...

Some restrictions to keep in mind for the SNES nominations.

• Retro Compilation games, games that contain multiple older titles in one cartridge, are banned from this nomination. The most famous example is "Super Mario All-Stars" But also includes games such as "Tetris & Dr. Mario" These games have an inherent advantage while using older games from other consoles.
  • The one exception to the above rule is "Kirby's Fun Pak" also known as "Kirby Super Star". While this is advertised as 8 games in one and one of these is a heavily edited version of Kirby's Dream Land, the rest of the game consists of entirely new content with an interconnected story.
  • Remakes/ports of older titles from previous Nintendo consoles are not eligible for any nominations. Unless the remake has extreme differences from the original version (Such as GBA's "Metroid: Zero Mission" and 3DS' "Metroid: Samus Returns"
  • StarFox 2 is eligible for nomination, as it was officially released for the SNES Classic Mini.
  • The Super Game Boy is not eligible for nomination.

So, once again. I'd like you to nominate 5 games. Don't order them from best to worst.

Nominations will close on the 20th of April.

Edited by Glen-i
Added the remake rule
  • Like 3

Yeah, I'm legit struggling with my 5 nominations.

I'll have to edit this post once I sleep on it.

EDIT: Don't worry @Jonnas Two of your nominations were definitely making it to my lot.

- EarthBound

- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble

- Chrono Trigger

- Super Metroid

- Final Fantasy III, no wait! VI, no wait! Both!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Retro Compilation games, games that contain multiple older titles in one cartridge, are banned from this nomination. The most famous example is "Super Mario All-Stars"

You mean I can’t nominate the only SNES game with Wart in it? :eek:

• Haha 5

Super Mario World

Link to the Past

Donkey Kong Country 2 (best one, fight me)

Top Gear

Aladdin

• Thanks 1

Pilotwings

Super Probotector

Super Mario World

A Link to the Past

Star Wing

(no room for Kart:cry:)

• Thanks 1

Donkey Kong Country

Super Mario World

Super Mario Kart

Super Soccer

Super Punch-Out!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mandalore said:

Goof Troop

What a game. Almost made my list.

Could definitely be considered a distant cousin of the Oracle GBC games.

I...am shocked to see that three of my picks haven't been mentioned by anybody else yet:

• Mega Man X
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Super Metroid

And my 6th game hasn't been mentioned by anybody else, either!

• Thanks 4

10 hours ago, Glen-i said:
  • Retro Compilation games, games that contain multiple older titles in one cartridge, are banned from this nomination. The most famous example is "Super Mario All-Stars" But also includes games such as "Tetris & Dr. Mario" These games have an inherent advantage while using older games from other consoles.

Are remakes allowed, ala Dragon Quest 1&2 and Dragon Quest III?

• Super Mario Kart
  • F-Zero
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Pilotwings
  • The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Ike said:

Are remakes allowed, ala Dragon Quest 1&2 and Dragon Quest III?

Ah, I forgot about those. To be fair, I never played them.

Dragon Quest 1 & 2? Definitely not. Same kind of thing as Super Mario All-Stars.
As for Dragon Quest 3? I'm afraid I'll have to introduce a restriction that I thought I wouldn't have to use until the GBC.

Remakes/ports of older titles from previous Nintendo consoles are not eligible for any nominations. Unless the remake has extreme differences from the original version (Such as GBA's "Metroid: Zero Mission" and 3DS' "Metroid: Samus Returns"

I've added this rule to the post above.

I'm sorry, Ike. That was my bad. Of course, you're free to nominate the Dragon Quest games that originated on the SNES if you want.

Edited by Glen-i

OK, so technically my favourite game of all time falls under this category but I do need to ask a question before I got ahead with nominations.

The GBA version of Final Fantasy VI features an extra dungeon and extra Magicite not featured in the original SNES version. As such would this count as enough changes to nominate for the GBA when that comes around? Most of the rest of the game is the same apart from a retranslated script and all the spell names being updated to FFVIII onwards names.

Also, if you nominate a game, are you then not allowed to nominate it for future consoles if it would otherwise qualify under the stipulations?

I guess the Link to the Past remake falls under this category too because that features an entire extra dungeon.

46 minutes ago, GenericAperson said:

OK, so technically my favourite game of all time falls under this category but I do need to ask a question before I got ahead with nominations.

The GBA version of Final Fantasy VI features an extra dungeon and extra Magicite not featured in the original SNES version. As such would this count as enough changes to nominate for the GBA when that comes around? Most of the rest of the game is the same apart from a retranslated script and all the spell names being updated to FFVIII onwards names.

Also, if you nominate a game, are you then not allowed to nominate it for future consoles if it would otherwise qualify under the stipulations?

I guess the Link to the Past remake falls under this category too because that features an entire extra dungeon.

I'm afraid that's not enough for Final Fantasy VI and Link to the Past Advance. This is the console to consider those games for.

When I say "extreme differences" I mean radical overhauls that make the remake for all intents and purposes, a different game to the original. For example, Metroid: Zero Mission is based off of the original Metroid, but the layout of the game is so different that it can be mistaken for a different game to the uninformed.

It has to be very substantial.

Edited by Glen-i

Thank you, that's all I needed to make my decisions.

So therefore here are my nominations:

1. Final Fantasy VI

2. Super Metroid

3. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

4. Chrono Trigger

5. Super Mario World

None of these are games I played on an SNES itself but Virtual Console and handheld ports were sufficient.

I may be scrabbling around to find nominations for quite a few of these consoles because I didn't really start gaming until the 2000s and the consoles I owned were Game Boy Color onwards for handhelds and Gamecube onwards for home consoles.

• Thanks 2

Some genuine stone cold classics in these nominations.  :)

Although I must say... there's one title I'm surprised hasn't been nominated yet, so I'm going to make that right. :peace:

This is certainly a tough one... but there can be only five selections which really, truly make sense to me. 

Here are my picks...

• Super Metroid
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Castlevania IV

Look out for the N-E Top Ten Game Boy Games coming soon to the main site. ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/13/2019 at 7:51 PM, Glen-i said:

I'm afraid that's not enough for Final Fantasy VI and Link to the Past Advance. This is the console to consider those games for.

When I say "extreme differences" I mean radical overhauls that make the remake for all intents and purposes, a different game to the original. For example, Metroid: Zero Mission is based off of the original Metroid, but the layout of the game is so different that it can be mistaken for a different game to the uninformed.

It has to be very substantial.

There really aren't a lot of examples of this kind of remake/retelling out there... A list of eligible remakes would basically consist entirely of the following games on all platforms...

SNES: Super Castlevania 4, Castlevania: Dracula X (wow! SNES actually didn't truly get an original Castlevania game did it?)

GBA: Metroid Zero Mission, Sword of Mana

GCN: Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

DS: Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals

Wii: Punchout!!, Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth

3DS: Metroid: Samus Returns

Wii U: Star Fox Zero

(If you were to include non-Nintendo platforms, you could also extend that to the recently released Resident Evil 2 remake, Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song for PS2 and Castlevania Chronicles for PS1/Sharp X68000.  Really not much else though.).  You might be able to count Final Fantasy 4 DS on that list as well; since the battle system was completely overhauled and plays out almost totally differently to the original SNES game; though that's more of a borderline case since the out-of battle gameplay is fairly faithful to the original...

But yeah, that above list is as exhaustive as I can think of.  They're all technically remakes, that reuse the original story and setting, but are actually basically all brand new games.

BTW: @Glen-i I'm shocked that you picked DKC3 over DKC2! That's wild! (Mad respeck for giving DKC3 some much deserved love! :peace:)

Anyway, suppose I've gotta think of a list... Oh man... this is gonna be hard... Might have to take some time to think about this one...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

Wow, like others have said, just picking 5 games to nominate is tough!  This may be edited before the deadline but here goes:

• Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Super Bomberman 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Dcubed said:

BTW: @Glen-i I'm shocked that you picked DKC3 over DKC2! That's wild! (Mad respeck for giving DKC3 some much deserved love! :peace:)

You of all people should know that I think DKC 3 is the best DKC game. Even if I maintain that 2 is a better game to play first. 2 also has a better soundtrack, mind.

But 3's levels are full of awesome "Mario 3D World" level design. Almost every level has something interesting to differentiate it from the rest. Even if Rocket Rush is far too harsh.

DKC 1 sucks.

• Thanks 1

Tough to pick just 5, however for now i'm going for

• Super Mario World
  • A Link to the Past
  • Super Metroid
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • F-Zero

Bound to be edited before closure

Here are my votes for the best Nintendo home console:

- Super Mario World

- Killer Instinct

- Donkey Kong Country

- Street Racer

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles In Time

Holy balls of Moses this is a tough one. I've limited to games I've actually played on the SNES back in the day, but still it's an impossible list and I had to cut a lot of great ones.

• Thanks 1

Well, at least once the SNES selections are finalised, the other Top Ten lists shouldn't be so hard... r-right? :blank:

*thinks about all of those glorious GBC, N64, GBA, GC, DS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U, Switch(?) and of course... Virtual Boy games*

Who am I kidding? This is only the start of some very tough game related decisions. :hmm: