NEurope
Glen-i

N-Europe's Top 10 (Voting over, check first post for results)

How did I forget Excitetruck? I guess it's too late to scrub Mario Galaxy off my suggestions. 

content-4-35868-netop10dsarticlebanner.jpg

Here is the final article for our Top Ten DS Games. :D

Thanks to @RedShell for the Delightfully Slick banner/side graphics. :cool:

and  @Glen-i plus @Dcubed once again for keeping the spirit train rolling, there are some passionate and enoyable write-ups with some good humour in there. :peace:

Also thanks to the N-E community for contributing, there's clearly a lot of love for certain DS games which deserve their place but that I still have yet to play, I may change that. :)

(my contribution was making the game banners in the article and getting it uploaded) :smile:

I kept it simple for the DS banner, I think it worked out OK so I just left it at that.

(also... I did add in one very small paragraph for a game which didn't have a single quote but deserved one, it was for the good of the article) ;)

Enjoy! And here's to the next one. :grin:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wow, what a twist for the top spot! :o These lists are much more engaging the more we vote for them, and I'm definitely happy with how it turned out.

And @S.C.G, this is yet another article with a typo... this time from me :heh: I just checked, and that's in the PM I sent, so it's fair. The world can now marvel at the fact that I can't spell "if".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow! What an awesome top 10!! Well chuffed at the No1 pick! :D 

Real lovely eclectic mix of titles! Good job for getting Ghost Trick so high as well! Seems that you guys sometimes have good taste after all! ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, what a bizarre top 10. There must’ve been a lot of votes because out of my top 3 votes only Advance Wars DS ended up in the Top 10 :eek: :eek: :eek:

And EBA #1, wow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, markderoos said:

And EBA #1, wow!

Literally one point clinched it. If it didn't get that, the number 2 game would have won through my tie breaker.

Number 3 was only two points behind EBA, if I could vote, that would have won instead.

It was crazy how close the DS list was.

• Thanks 3

I'm delighted to see Ghost Trick and, particularly, Elite Beat Agents do so deservingly well but other than Mario Kart DS, the remainder of the list is a complete disaster :grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh snap! That's just reminded me that I actually voted for my games early this time (for a change) ;) so I'm not on "the list" on this occasion.

However, I shouldn't get too excited, I've just remembered that I've still got a Top Ten Wii Banner template to finish. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the results for this one, as if the previous entries are anything to go by, it could be quite an interesting top ten indeed. :D

Voting is now closed.

3DS

800px-Nintendo-3DS-AquaOpen.png

We're almost there, almost at current gaming, 2 consoles left to go. The 3DS was released in 2011 and built on the DS with a snazzy 3D screen and analogue controls. Glasses-free 3D gaming may not have taken off in the world of gaming, but there are definitely some games in this library that make great usage out of it. But all the visuals flying into your face isn't going to deter us from picking some games that any 3DS should have in its repertoire.

Here are the rules for nominations.

• Pokemon Clause applies (Pokemon X/Y, Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon)
  • Remakes/ports are banned (Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire, Ocarina of Time 3D, Star Fox 64 3D, etc)
  • Metroid: Samus Returns is eligible for nomination as it is a dramatically different game to the Game Boy original.
  • Retro compilations are banned (SEGA 3D Classics, Rhythm Heaven Megamix, WarioWare Gold, Ultimate NES Remix, etc.)
  • Virtual Console games are banned (This also includes the 3D Classics titles)
  • Applications are banned
  • Download exclusive games are eligible.
  • Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS is a separate game from Super Smash Bros. For WiiU, they only share character roster and physics, everything else is different.
  • A vote for Final Fantasy: Theatrhythm will be counted as a vote for Final Fantasy: Theatrhythm: Curtain Call. The latter title makes the former title completely redundant.
  • Games that made its Nintendo debut on this console are eligible for this console.  Examples of this would be Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D and Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
  • I feel like I should point out that The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Shovel Knight and Fire Emblem Warriors (and others with simultaneous releases on 3DS and WiiU) will not be eligible for this console as the WiiU version (Switch version for games such as Fire Emblem Warriors) came out the same day and they tend to be slightly superior versions (And to save me from going insane trying to sort what goes where).
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is awkward and had a simultaneous release, but only in Europe. It was delayed to have its weird release at the same time as the WiiU, but for consistencies sake with the previous rule, it will be counted as a WiiU title.

Nominations close on the 27th of July.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

And here we go.

• Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
  • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
  • Monster Hunter Generations

So many games, not enough spaces!

• Thanks 2

Damn, we're at 3DS already!? That was fast!  Good thing that the console's library just finished up a couple of months ago!

Anywho, here're my nominations.

• Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
  • Kirby: Planet Robobot
  • VVVVVV
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf

This was really hard to whittle down!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

Codename S.T.E.A.M.

Pilotwings Resort

A Link Between Worlds

Luigi's Mansion 2

Resident Evil Revelations

• Thanks 3

I reckon that this is gonna be a very varied list and perhaps the biggest shortlist of them all (even with the Wii U effectively "stealing" games like Shovel Knight from the 3DS).  The list of 3DS greats is just massive!

Tricky list. I have yet a lot of games to properly play on this system, and I'll feel bad leaving them behind.

• Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  • VVVVVV
  • Pocket Card Jockey
  • Hydroventure: Spin Cycle

Truth be told, there are a few games on the 3DS that I only half-played, and I'm fairly certain they're better than [redacted]. I'd be okay to vote for them on the second phase, but the nominations phase feels like I should go for stuff I personally know better.

EDIT: Nevermind, there is an awesome indie game that made its Nintendo debut on the 3DS, and I should've known, because someone else already nominated it :heh: The game I was talking about isn't here anymore.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Thanks 2

Super Smash Bros for 3DS

Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon

Boxboy

Pokemon (U)S(U)M

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright

@Glen-i: I prefer to nominate the Boxboy Trilogy but that has only been released in Japan. Let me know how to handle this one!

Edited by markderoos
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markderoos said:

Super Smash Bros for 3DS

Fire Emblem Fates

Boxboy

Pokemon (U)S(U)M

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright

@Glen-i: I prefer to nominate the Boxboy Trilogy but that has only been released in Japan. Let me know how to handle this one!

That is a compilation release and so, would not be allowed.

Same deal for Fire Emblem Fates BTW.  You have to choose one specific game (Birthright, Conquest or Revelations).  The Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition is a compilation release and so, it too does not count.

@Glen-i forgot to mention that because he is dumb.

Edited by Dcubed

9 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Same deal for Fire Emblem Fates BTW.  You have to choose one specific game (Birthright, Conquest or Revelations).  The Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition is a compilation release and so, it too does not count.

I haven't played them, but are they generally really considered separate games though? I'd never be interested in just one or 2 parts of the story..

6 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I haven't played them, but are they generally really considered separate games though? I'd never be interested in just one or 2 parts of the story..

Yes, they are entierly seperate games outside of the first six chapters (where you make a choice about which path to follow).  They have entierly seperate maps, different gameplay mechanics and different stories (though they do reference one another and present two opposing sides of a conflict).

Basically the same deal as with Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons.  Birthright's gameplay is more akin to Fire Emblem Awakening, while Conquest's gameplay is more difficult and is more akin to traditional pre-Awakening Fire Emblem games (with varied objectives, no grinding, no world map etc).

Revelations is the 3rd game that is meant to be played after beating Conquest and Birthright, but it combines elements of both (it's the neutral path in the story).  It is only available as a download (unless you were lucky enough to get the Special Edition release, which includes all three games on one cart; with a pricetag to match - it retailed for £79.99 - making it the single most expensive 3DS title ever released); but it acts as a sequel of sorts that presents a balanced perspective on the overarching conflict that grounds the story.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Glen-i said:

And here we go.

• Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
  • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
  • Monster Hunter Generations

So many games, not enough spaces!

..and yet that's your list..? :grin:

I'll come up with my nominations later but beyond a couple of certainties I have in my head, I'll have to wait until I get home to see my collection before I can commit to anything else.

I don't think I'm anywhere near as blown away by the 3DS library as most people.. but that's to be expected :blank:

36 minutes ago, nekunando said:

..and yet that's your list..? :grin:

A list with the best Pokémon game on the 3DS as well as one of the finest arcade style rhythm games ever? Also has the one of the funniest Nintendo games ever. Yep, good list. Trust a philistine like you to think otherwise.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Fire Emblem Awakening
Luigi's Mansion 2
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
Tomodachi Life

• Thanks 2

I have the Fire Emblem Fates special edition so to me it has always felt like one game with three paths... Choosing only one of those is going to be weird so I’ll just nominate another game in that case. Just have to think a bit on which one.

• Thanks 1