NEurope
Glen-i

N-Europe's Top 10 (Voting over, check first post for results)

4 minutes ago, bob said:

Did YOU nominate it?

Nah. I stopped playing once I realised I would have to interact with Glen. :p 

No Resident Evil Revelations also surprises me a bit! In fact only 1 of my nominations made the list!

There are quite a bunch in this list I haven't played, my 3DS needs more love.

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nah. I stopped playing once I realised I would have to interact with Glen. :p 

Thanks, that's very hurtful.

I think this is the first time a mainline Pokemon game hasn't charted in the top 10 in the handheld department since this series started. That either speaks volumes about the depth in quality that the 3DS has on it or people's opinions on the series since it jumped into 3D.

In fact I've only ever played three of the games on this list and my 3DS collection sits at 12 boxed games. Then again... some of them are Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Metroid Prime Federation Force so maybe not the wisest of investments :p

11 minutes ago, GenericAperson said:

I think this is the first time a mainline Pokemon game hasn't charted in the top 10 in the handheld department since this series started. That either speaks volumes about the depth in quality that the 3DS has on it or people's opinions on the series since it jumped into 3D.

In fact I've only ever played three of the games on this list and my 3DS collection sits at 12 boxed games. Then again... some of them are Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Metroid Prime Federation Force so maybe not the wisest of investments :p

I think it speaks more to how weak the mainline Pokemon games were this generation.  You have a hugely disappointing follow up to the best generation in the series (X/Y), you have a disappointing remake of the worst games in the series that fixes none of its original problems while introducing new ones (OR/AS) and then you have a game that tried doing some cool new things but ended up being hugely bogged down by incessent cutscenes, genwunner pandering and having all of the exploration & environmental interaction that the series is known for stripped out of it (S/M).

That's not to say that it was all bad; X/Y's battle system in particular was the best that the series had ever seen; but sadly, the rest of the game just didn't come together.  The entire Pokemon series (Mystery Dungeon withstanding) has been in a bit of a slump since 2013; and Sword/Shield have a lot to prove as a result.  Game Freak really need to knock it out of the park here!

But that being said, 3DS had a ton of fantastic games; and I think that all of the shortlisted titles deserved a spot in that top 10; way, way ahead of any of the 3DS' mainline Pokemon titles.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Fair enough. Though, as someone who voted Sun/Moon top of his list I cannot say that I was bothered by issues that other people had with the game. The only thing I really didn't like was the call for help mechanic after all. That and the fact that there was no National Dex so the game was consigned to the shelves aside from an occasional multiplayer game after the Local Dex was complete.

Then again, I was on a massive Pokemon high during that year with the 20th anniversary coinciding in the same year as S/M which as perhaps turned me into a bit of a shill as I look at the modern games and the TCG in a slightly different more forgiving light. Also some of the franchises that did make the top 10 just didn't appeal to me for whatever reason.

• Like 1

content-4-35958-netop10wiiuarticlebanner.jpg

Here is the final article for our Top Ten Wii U Games. :D

Thanks to @RedShell for the Wii-U-tiful banner/side graphics. :cool:

and  @Glen-i plus @Dcubed once again for the excellent write-ups. :peace:

Also thanks to the N-E community for contributing, the Wii U is a console which I struggle to go back to thanks to the Switch but I'll boot it up again one day. :)

(my contribution was making the game banners in the article and getting it uploaded) :smile:

The Wii U banner is mostly cut-pasted from the Wii banner, I found an excellent Wii U Gamepad pixel art, so I used that after shrinking it down.

I tried to incoporate as much Wii U as possible into the banner design, so you have the blue from the 'U' some black text/background and the Gamepad is white.

Just so that both models of the Wii U are reflected in the banner really, I had a Black 32GB Wii U from day one but I know a lot of people owned the White 8GB model too.

(also... there were two games which no one provided thoughts for, so I whipped up a couple of short insights for those, got to keep the article format consistency) ;) 

Enjoy! And that's all folks! :grin:

(you can access all of the articles on the first page of the thread but here are the mini-banners for the other articles anyway)

NintendoSwitchTop10NESMiniBannerNintendoSwitchTop10SNESMiniBannerNintendoSwitchTop10GBMiniBannerNintendoSwitchTop10N64MiniBannerNintendoSwitchTop10GBCMiniBannerNintendoSwitchTop10GBAMiniBannerNintendoSwitchTop10GCMiniBannerNintendoSwitchTop10DSMiniBannerNintendoSwitchTop10WiiMiniBannerNintendoSwitchTop103DSMiniBanner

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Don't you lot ever accuse me of being unable to show impartiality.

With the final article up, I'm now gonna thank everyone who nominated and voted for games and gave their thoughts on them throughout the past 22 weeks. Couldn't have done it without you and now we finally have a consensus on what are the best games for all eternity.

Hooray for world peace!

But big massive thanks to @S.C.G for being the guy behind getting the damn articles up in the first place. I might have written them, but I still don't know how to get them on the site. Also, he made those nifty game banners.

Speaking of banners, gonna thank @RedShell for taking care of the article banners and sidebox images. Those sidebox images are worth looking at, there's some gold in there.

And finally, thanks to @Dcubed for arguing with me over what restrictions should be placed on each console. You would not believe how much we disagreed on Link's Awakening DX.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

After all of the nominations, Bayonetta 2 didn't even make the top ten..?

There's hope for you all yet, it seems :hehe: #justice

Edited by nekunando
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nekunando said:

There's hope for you all yet, it seems 

I'm not so sure. Both Star Fox Zero and BOTW still made the list. :nono:

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm not so sure. Both Star Fox Zero and BOTW still made the list. :nono:

giphy.gif

At least there's still some hope for you :p 

• Haha 1

22 weeks!? Wow! A huge thanks to @Glen-i and everyone else for all the work (& arguments!) that went into producing the whole series of articles.  It was a lot of fun to be part of and to read other people’s opinions.

Great stuff! 😃👍🏻

• Thanks 3

One of my comments made one of the articles, so that was the best one.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, Bayonetta's exclusion really surprised me. Super glad with the Top 3, though.

Once again, thank you all for these Top 10s. I'm really happy to have been part of it.

• Thanks 3

content-4-36099-netop102019articlebanner.jpg

And out of nowhere like a Nintendo Direct announcement, here's an article for our Staff Top Ten Switch Games of 2019. :D

(What do you mean it's 2020 and you didn't ask for this? Well... you've got it anyway and everyone worked hard on it, so please read it) :p

Thanks to @RedShell for the slick Switch-based banner/side graphics. :cool:

and @Vileplume2000 who had the idea for this article, the passion to write stuff about each game plus he got us all to vote for the games. :peace:

Also thanks to all N-E Staff who voted, I know not everyone could as not everyone had played that many games, we still ended up with some excellent picks though . :)

(my contribution was making the game banners in the article, putting in some weird 'verdicts' which no one asked for (what?) ::shrug: and getting it uploaded) :smile:

Yes... I know there are two games for number 10 because that's how the points were allocated and we wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

(there might even be some honourable mentions in there as well and links to some reviews of course)

Oh and even though I've proof-read this I don't know how many times and fixed a broken banner already, I'll be relying on @Jonnas to spot any errors in the article. :grin:

(It's practically tradition at this point and thank you for pointing out the errors in the previous articles as some of them were quite significant and it's good to keep things professional)

#PrOfessioNal!11!1!

Enjoy! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

Oh and even though I've proof-read this I don't know how many times and fixed a broken banner already, I'll be relying on @Jonnas to spot any errors in the article. :grin:

Very well written article. In fact, I was almost going to make a joke about a failed mission...

...but I believe the gameplay elements in Fire Emblem: Three Houses are divisive, certainly not "devise"!

CreativeTemptingChrysomelid-size_restric

Edited by Jonnas
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

Very well written article. In fact, I was almost going to make a joke about a failed mission...

...but I believe the gameplay elements in Fire Emblem: Three Houses are divisive, certainly not "devise"!

And the worst part is, I used the same word, spelt correctly only a few lines down... :p

Well spotted and well played Jonnas. :D

N-Europe should hire you as our official proof-reader. ;)

• Like 2