NEurope
Glen-i

N-Europe's Top 10 (Voting over, check first post for results)

Well, being that the amount of Game Boy Color games I played back in the day are quite limited, this should be rather straightforward.

Here are my picks...

• Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Shantae

I really hope that Dragon Warrior III is allowed, because it is an enhanced remake which came out in 2001, it's Game Boy Color only and it's worth owning just to hear the theme tune coming out full blast from the GBC's tiny speaker.  :D

Annnd it's gone! Still, it deserved a mention. ;)

Look out for the N-E Top Ten N64 Games coming soon to the main site. :peace:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, @S.C.G I can't accept Dragon Warrior III. Seeing as it's a remake of the NES title.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

Sorry, @S.C.G I can't accept Dragon Warrior III. Seeing as it's a remake of the NES title.

Fair play, glad I checked... I shall change it out for another title I had in reserve.

6 hours ago, nekunando said:

I don't think I've even played 5 GBC games and any I may have played, such as Link's Awakening on 3DS or Perfect Dark, I haven't played for any more than about 15 minutes..

I may also struggle with this category. I'm currently going through lists of what games were exclusive to the system to see what I have actually played. It's fun looking at the list of games. I never knew that there was an exclusive Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle game on the system! I loved those games. I also see there were Quest games released on the system. I wonder if they had relation to Quest 64/Holy Magic Century?

Hmmm...the system really didn't have a great library of exclusive games, did it? Here's mine.

• Pokemon Pinball
  • Pokemon Silver
  • Mario Golf
  • Pokemon Trading Card Game
  • Resident Evil Gaiden

I wasn't a huge fan of the Zelda Oracle games. They are easily my least favourite main entries. Obviously they are both better than Resident Evil but I gotta give respect for Capcom for even trying to put a Resident Evil game on the system. The ending of the game still cracks me up. I mean, is the Leon that is still kicking around now actually a doppelganger and the real one dead or just happily living his life elsewhere? :D 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ike said:

I didn't because I thought it was a GBC game that was backwards compatible. I wasn't aware it was also released as a GB game.

I think that any rules that may restrict future voting should have been mentioned earlier, I didn't vote for some NES games because I wanted to vote for the better version on a different console. Yes, I'm aware I didn't vote for any NES games. If you did and I missed it, then my apologies.

Well, I can only apologise then.

The main reason for these restrictions is to stop the same game getting into multiple top tens. If I didn't have them, Ocarina of Time would be eligible for 5 different consoles. In doing this, I want to try and keep everyone on the same page when it comes to nominating these games that had future rereleases.

Assuming I want to put in my support for Ocarina of Time, I personally think the 3DS version is the best one, but there are bound to be people who prefer the N64 version, so that vote would have been split.

Of course, it's never going to be perfect. Gaming only gets more complicated as we get closer to the present. But I will take you up on your idea of stating future restrictions so people can plan ahead.

Spoiler

Game Boy Advance

• Pokemon Clause applies (Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, etc.)
  • Remakes are ineligible for nominations (Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen, All 4 Mario Advance games, etc.)
  • Metroid Zero Mission and Sword of Mana are exempt from the remake rule, due to radical differences from the original games
  • Retro Compilations are ineligible for nominations (Mario Advance series, etc.)
  • In a weird example, you're eligible to nominate The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords, but you must discount the remake of Link to the Past if you choose it. These kind of bundles where one new game can stand on its own will be referred to as the Four Swords Clause
  • In a similar way, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Metroid Zero: Mission fall under the Four Swords Clause, because despite having ports of other games included in the game, the new game can stand on its own merits.
  • Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age count as two separate games. They can be completed without the use of the other game and must be bought separately.
  • The Tony Hawks Pro Skater games on the GBA console are eligible for nomination despite these entries appearing on the N64 and the Gamecube due to the totally radical gameplay differences. Dude.

Gamecube

• Retro compilation titles are banned (Zelda: Collector's Edition, Nintendo Puzzle Collection, Sonic Mega Collection, etc.)
  • Four Swords Clause applies to games such as Sonic Adventure DX, Animal Crossing and Metroid Prime.
  • Ports/Remakes are banned. (WarioWare Inc. Mega Party Games, etc.)
  • For obvious reasons, Resident Evil 1 and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes are eligible for nomination.
  • Game Boy Player is not eligible for nomination. Don't try and be clever.

DS

• Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team is not eligible for nomination because it's a simultaneous release with the GBA title Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team. If you want to vote for this game, it must be the GBA version.
  • Pokemon Clause applies (Pokemon Pearl/Diamond/Platinum, Black/White, Black 2/White 2, PMD: Explorers of Darkness/Time/Sky)
  • Remakes/Ports are banned. (Kirby Super Star Ultra, Super Mario 64 DS, Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver Four Swords Anniversary Edition, etc.)
  • Remakes that are radically different include Final Fantasy IV, Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
  • Resident Evil: Deadly Silence is the first time that the original version of the PS1 version of Resident Evil was released on a Nintendo console, so is eligible for nomination.
  • Retro compilations are banned.
  • Four Swords Clause applies to Contra 4 and any other games that include retro games as bonus.
  • DSi Ware games are eligible for nomination.
  • Applications are not eligible for nomination. (Flipnote Studio, Art Academy, Electroplankton, etc.)

Wii

• Twilight Princess counts as a Gamecube title and cannot be nominated for the Wii.
  • Virtual Console games are all banned.
  • WiiWare games are eligible
  • Applications are banned
  • Retro compilations are banned (Metroid Prime Trilogy, House of the Dead 2 + 3 Return, etc.)
  • Remakes/ports are banned (All New Play control games, Bubble Bobble Neo, etc.)
  • Wii Fit Plus is deemed too similar to Wii Fit. Therefore, it will be treated as a rare non-Pokemon example of the Pokémon Clause.
  • Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth is eligible for nomination as it is dramatically different from the Game Boy Game.

3DS

• Pokemon Clause applies (Pokemon X/Y, Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon)
  • Remakes/ports are banned (Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire, Ocarina of Time 3D, Star Fox 64 3D, etc)
  • Metroid: Samus Returns is eligible for nomination as it is a dramatically different game to the Game Boy original.
  • Retro compilations are banned (SEGA 3D Classics, Rhythm Heaven Megamix, WarioWare Gold, Ultimate NES Remix, etc.)
  • Virtual Console games are banned (This also includes the 3D Classics titles)
  • Applications are banned
  • Download exclusive games are eligible.
  • Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS is a separate game from Super Smash Bros. For WiiU, they only share character roster and physics, everything else is different.
  • A vote for Final Fantasy: Theatrhythm will be counted as a vote for Final Fantasy: Theatrhythm: Curtain Call. The latter title makes the former title completely redundant.

WiiU

• Breath of the Wild counts as a WiiU game and will have to be considered for this console.
  • Remakes/Ports are banned (Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Resident Evil Revelations, Wii Sports Club, etc.)
  • Retro Compilations are banned (NES Remix, etc.)
  • Download exclusive titles are eligible for nomination.
  • Virtual Console is banned, this also includes the digital rereleases of any Wii title.
  • Applications are banned (Art Academy SketchPad, Miiverse, etc.)
  • Super Smash Bros. For WiiU is a separate game from Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS, they only share character roster and physics, everything else is different.

That took forever, don't you dare ask questions. (You can ask questions if you really have to)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

What was your reasoning behind excluding Elektroplankton? I understand excluding apps like Youtube. But there’s a fine line between games and applications. I would say that Elektroplankton is closer to a game like Endless Ocean than it is to an application like Youtube.

I won’t nominate it, so no (personal) biggie. But I’d still like to know why you excluded it.

And if (for example) Wii Fit U would have released as Wii Fit 2 on the Wii, it would’ve been eligible, right? Again, just to understand :)

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, markderoos said:

What was your reasoning behind excluding Elektroplankton? I understand excluding apps like Youtube. But there’s a fine line between games and applications. I would say that Elektroplankton is closer to a game like Endless Ocean than it is to an application like Youtube.

I won’t nominate it, so no (personal) biggie. But I’d still like to know why you excluded it.

And if (for example) Wii Fit U would have released as Wii Fit 2 on the Wii, it would’ve been eligible, right? Again, just to understand :)

Electroplankton is as much of a game as any music creation application.

Simply put, the game has absolutely no sort of goal for the player to reach.

Endless Ocean, on the other hand, has one brief moment where the player is asked to help find an animal that an NPC's father was seeking before he vanished. Finding it is some kind of progress and is rewarded with some backstory of said character's father.

A lot of applications can provide entertainment, but unless it has some sort of win state, I'm excluding it from these top tens. A line has to be determined somewhere.

No disrespect to Electroplankton, but I do class it as the same sort of entertainment product as Flipnote Studio and such.

Looking into Wii Fit U, I think I got that mixed up with Wii Fit Plus. A substantial amount of Wii Fit Plus is exactly the same as Wii Fit.

Wii Fit U reuses content, but has quite a bit of new content as well. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll just quickly edit my post.

• Thanks 2

Fair enough then :)

I would suggest to cut Wii Sports Club from the ‘banned’ list like you did with Wii Fit U. Wii Sports Club is very different from the original Wii Sports.

I don’t think anyone would nominate it either way though 😂

3 minutes ago, markderoos said:

Fair enough then :)

I would suggest to cut Wii Sports Club from the ‘banned’ list like you did with Wii Fit U. Wii Sports Club is very different from the original Wii Sports.

I don’t think anyone would nominate it either way though 😂

Wii Sports Club is essentially a HD remaster of Wii Sports with new play controls (Kinda like how Metroid Prime Trilogy changes the controls of the GameCube games). None of the sports are actually new to the Wii Sports series, so it's banned due to the remake rule.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Cool, understandable. Although it added a lot of (online) modes and the motion plus controls made playing tennis feel very differently in comparison to the original.

8 minutes ago, markderoos said:

Cool, understandable. Although it added a lot of (online) modes and the motion plus controls made playing tennis feel very differently in comparison to the original.

Oh yeah, I absolutely think it's the best version of Wii Sports. But if I allowed that, it would mean I'd have to allow all sorts of similar remasters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/05/2019 at 12:46 AM, Glen-i said:
  • Retro Compilation games, games that contain multiple older titles in one cartridge, are banned from this nomination. A good example is Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, seeing as it included the first two Super Mario Bros. games. These games have an inherent advantage while using older games from other consoles.

Y'argh, wanted to put this in...

gbc_game_watch_gallery_3_p_jr34jk.jpg

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

Pokémon Gold et al

Stranded Kids

5th TBA - I can't think of a GBC game I've played that wasn't a reboot etc.

• Thanks 3

I definitely disagree with the ruling on games that were released for previous+current gen simultaneously. I had no idea Wario Land II had seen an original Game Boy release, and I'm sure a lot of people skipped voting for it on the original GB because they thought the same thing (I know I didn't consider it when putting my shortlist together). I wouldn't be surprised if TP ends up being on a similar boat when the time comes.

Anyway, for the Game Boy Colour...

• Pokémon Gold/Silver
  • Wario Land 3
  • Pokémon Pinball
  • Pokémon Trading Card Game 2: Team Great Rocket Visit!
  • Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

Poor Oracle games got split up, but choices need to be made.

(Disclaimer: Wario Land 3 was chosen over WL2 regardless of the ruling. That one is either 6th or 7th in my consideration)

Edited by Jonnas
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

I wouldn't be surprised if TP ends up being on a similar boat when the time comes.

I will make sure to point out when a game like this can be voted for once we get to the console in question. If people choose other games over that, then that just means that TP doesn't quite match up to other GameCube games.

Just now, Glen-i said:

I will make sure to point out when a game like this can be voted for once we get to the console in question. If people choose other games over that, then that just means that TP doesn't quite match up to other GameCube games.

I definitely don't think it does :heh: I just figure most people are used to comparing it with other Wii games.

Bit late for nominations. Game Boy Color was my first video game console though as far as actual Game Boy Color games go I didn't play too many. Virtual Console did add to that though.

1. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal

2. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

3. Pokemon Pinball

4. Pokemon Trading Card Game

5. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

Yeah, game variety wasn't exactly something I sought out in my early days of gaming as I was massively obssessed with Pokemon. The Zelda games were something I only caught up with on Virtual Console. I had other games on GBC like Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone (would have made the list had I not played the Oracle games) and Star Wars Episode I Racer but most of my games were Pokemon.

• Thanks 3

12 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

I had other games on GBC like Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone (would have made the list had I not played the Oracle games) and Star Wars Episode I Racer but most of my games were Pokemon.

As opposed to me, where most of my games still are Pokémon.

I have this little carry case for holding DS/3DS games, and half of them are Pokémon titles.

Today is the last day for nominations.

I'm gonna mention @EEVILMURRAY, as he needs to choose a 5th game for his nominations, otherwise I can't accept his nomination. Gotta be strict about that.

• Thanks 1

@EEVILMURRAY Can I recommend Fish Files? I'm worried it might not get enough nominations to get into the final vote, which would be worrying considering what a classic it is.

6 minutes ago, bob said:

@EEVILMURRAY Can I recommend Fish Files? I'm worried it might not get enough nominations to get into the final vote, which would be worrying considering what a classic it is.

I very much disapprove of this! No influencing other people.

Bad bob!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Today is the last day for nominations.

No vote from me this time, I didn't play very much GBC.

Oof, just in time! Here's mine:

Pokémon G/S/C

Pokémon Pinball

Pokémon TCG

Wario Land 3

Cardcaptor Sakura - Itsumo Sakura Chan To Issho

• Thanks 3

Nominations are now over.

Here's the shortlist of all the games that got 2 or more nominations.

Spoiler
  • Mario Golf
  • Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal
  • Pokémon Pinball
  • Pokémon Trading Card Game
  • Resident Evil Gaiden
  • Shantae
  • Stranded Kids
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
  • Wario Land 3

Yeah, only 10.

Don't worry though, I planned for a situation like this. In a case of really low variety of games, I'm going to implement a sort of Last-Chance Saloon.
Simply put, it's completely possible that one of these shortlisted games will not get any votes. If that happens, than the games that didn't get nominated have a shot at making the bottom of the top 10.

• Voting must be done via Private Messages sent to me. This will help to prevent any possible tactical voting.
  • Everyone must choose 3 games from the above shortlist to vote for. They also must be ordered from favourite to third favourite.
  • It'd be great if you could explain why you chose a game in the PM. I can then use these in the article that will go up on the N-Europe front page.
  • I reserve the right to both use and not use someone's reasons why they chose a game.
  • I will abstain from these votes and act as a tiebreaker. If two games tie, I'll decide which game comes out on top.

Now, a few extra things in regards to the Last-Chance Saloon idea. This is important, please read this.

• As well as the normal 3 votes, I'd also like you to select one game that didn't make the shortlist.
  • If one (or more) of the shortlisted games fail to get any votes, than the Last-Chance Saloon game that got the most votes will take its place at the bottom of the Top 10.
  • Once again, reasons for picking a game are much appreciated.
  • No matter how many votes a Last-Chance Saloon game gets, it will never be placed higher than a shortlisted game that got at least one vote.
  • As usual, I will refrain from voting and act as a tiebreaker.

Here's a reminder of the games that didn't quite make it.

Spoiler
  • Animal Breeder 4
  • Arthur's Absolutely Fun Day!
  • Cardcaptor Sakura: Itsumo Sakura-chan to Issho!
  • Laura
  • Mario Tennis
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Perfect Dark
  • Pokémon Card GB2: Here Comes Team GR!
  • Pokémon Puzzle Challenge
  • The Fish Files

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Voting closes on the 25th of May.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2