NEurope
Glen-i

N-Europe's Top 10 (Voting over, check first post for results)

Wow, the GBC didn't have a very wide range of games did it?

4 minutes ago, bob said:

Wow, the GBC didn't have a very wide range of games did it?

882, a bit less than the Game Boy, but more than the NES (Official games at least). It appears that there's more of a consensus on which GBC games are deserving of the top spot than other consoles when you remove those deluxe versions of older games.

That's quite interesting.

Looking back at GBC games, I remember one called Warlocked that had a couple of previews in N64 magazine. I was interested in getting it back then, not sure if it ever got released over here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mandalore said:

Looking back at GBC games, I remember one called Warlocked that had a couple of previews in N64 magazine. I was interested in getting it back then, not sure if it ever got released over here.

Sadly it didn’t, it was US only (which is super weird when you consider that it was a British game developer that made it!).

It is also one of only a handful of English language first party GB/GBC titles that didn’t get a 3DS VC release (the others being Waverace, Tetris DX and Pokemon Pinball off the top of my head).

Really gutting.  I’ve always wanted to play it; it actually looks really good!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/05/2019 at 5:48 AM, Glen-i said:

Today is the last day for nominations.

I'm gonna mention @EEVILMURRAY, as he needs to choose a 5th game for his nominations, otherwise I can't accept his nomination. Gotta be strict about that.

Anger-708x492.jpg

13 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Sadly it didn’t, it was US only (which is super weird when you consider that it was a British game developer that made it!).

It is also one of only a handful of English language first party GB/GBC titles that didn’t get a 3DS VC release (the others being Waverace, Tetris DX and Pokemon Pinball off the top of my head).

Really gutting.  I’ve always wanted to play it; it actually looks really good!

It played really well considering the hardware it is was on.  I never thought anyone would get a playable RTS game on the GBC, but they managed it!

The screen size made it a little tough.  The large sprites were a good idea, with the downside that you couldn’t see a huge play area at any one time.  It’s worth tracking down if you have a GBC though, just to experience it.  I tracked down a US-copy back in the day, and while I wouldn’t rate it higher than any of those top 10 games it was good and I’m certainly pleased to have played it.

• Thanks 1

On 18/05/2019 at 9:25 AM, Glen-i said:

882, a bit less than the Game Boy, but more than the NES (Official games at least). It appears that there's more of a consensus on which GBC games are deserving of the top spot than other consoles when you remove those deluxe versions of older games.

How many of them were exempt from the voting process due to being ports etc?

On 18/05/2019 at 9:25 AM, Glen-i said:

When you consider that only around 130 of those are actually GBC exclusive; that’s even more interesting!

I suspect that the hybrid games would’ve dominated the original GB list if they were included there as well (and it would probably have been almost entirely GBC dominated if the GB/GBC libraries were combined as part of the vote I reckon).

Shows that people have a real affinity for these games being voted this time around!

4 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

How many of them were exempt from the voting process due to being ports etc?

I know I'm pretty sad when it comes to gaming, but I have got better things to do then go down that list and count how many ports there are.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Just to clarify @Glen-i when is the final submission date for the final vote on the games from the GBC shortlist?

I'm only asking as I couldn't see it in your last main post (apologies if I missed it) I just want to make sure that neither myself or anyone else misses the date.

(for now I'm going to guess that voting will close on 25th May 2019 as that would be a week, just as the others have been)

Also, look out for the Top Ten N64 article on the main page very soon. :peace:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1

Oh snap, did I not post the end date? Woopsies.

You're right though, @S.C.G, 25th of May is the deadline.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

content-4-35777-netop10n64articlebanner.jpg

Here is the final article for our Top Ten N64 Games. :D

Thanks to @RedShell for the wonderful banner/side graphics. :cool:

and  @Glen-i plus @Dcubed once again for organising this. :peace:

Also thanks to the N-E community for contributing as there were some really excellent submissions which I enjoyed reading a lot. :heart:

(my contribution was making the game banners in the article and getting it uploaded, plus I put in some mini-banners for the previous articles) :smile:

Oh and I definitely didn't make reference to the DK Rap when posting the article on the front page, so don't worry, we're professionals!!1! here at N-Europe. ;)

Enjoy! And here's to the next one. :grin:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Not gonna lie, I think this is the best written article yet. Good job, everyone!

Oh, and Mystical Ninja made it to the Top 10. We did it, boys. Justice prevailed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The best game indeed won! Good job! You all picked the right game as No1! :peace:

BTW, @S.C.G, random ? Was the Paper Mario picture meant to be a very sly reference to this bizzare glitch?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

BTW, @S.C.G, random ? Was the Paper Mario picture meant to be a very sly reference to this bizzare glitch?

Yep, you got me. ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

When I saw Mystical Ninja as the 10th entry I knew we were in trouble but I didn't realise just how much trouble until I reached #1 :blank:

I don't even think Majora's Mask would make my Top 20 N64 games!

• Haha 3
  • Weird 2

I won't be voting as I've only played one of those games.

• Thanks 1

Righto. Nominations are closed.

Game Boy Advance

Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-Purple-FL.jpg

Releasing in 2001, the successor to the Game Boy/Game Boy Color was a lot more horizontal than what those consoles were, but with more horizontality came more power. Sporting graphical capabilities comparable to the SNES and a wider screen, the GBA brought handheld gaming to a new height, but what games were the must-haves of any collection? Let's find out!

As usual, restrictions are in place.

• The Pokemon Clause applies to this console, games that have multiple similar versions will be counted as one title (Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, etc.)
  • Remakes/ports are ineligible for nominations (Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen, All 4 Mario Advance games, etc.)
  • Metroid Zero Mission and Sword of Mana are exempt from the above rule, due to radical differences from the original games.
  • Retro Compilations (Games consisting of multiple games from older titles) are ineligible for nominations (Mario Advance series, etc.)
  • In a weird example, you're eligible to nominate The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords, but you must discount the remake of Link to the Past if you choose it. These kind of bundles where one new game can stand on its own will be referred to as the Four Swords Clause
  • In a similar way, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Metroid Zero: Mission fall under the Four Swords Clause, because despite having ports of other games included in the game, the new game can stand on its own merits.
  • Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age count as two separate games. They can be completed without the use of the other game and must be bought separately.
  • The Tony Hawks Pro Skater games on the GBA console are eligible for nomination despite these entries appearing on the N64 and the Gamecube due to the totally radical gameplay differences. Dude.

Future Console Warning

When we come to the Nintendo DS, be warned that Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team will not be eligible for nomination. This is because it's a port of a GBA title that came out at the same time.
If you were considering nominating that game, I suggest that you consider Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team for this console instead. The majority of the two games are the same, so playing Blue Rescue Team will give you a clear view on how the GBA version plays.

Remember that there's no need to order your choices yet, just post 5 games.

Nominations close on the 1st of June

• Thanks 2

I'll get the ball rolling with

• Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
  • Pokémon Emerald
  • Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  • Metroid Zero Mission
  • Mother 3
  • Thanks 1

Easy nomination stage for me with this one. :grin:

• Warioware, Inc.: Mega Microgames!
  • Warioware: Twisted
  • Rhythm Tengoku
  • Wario Land 4
  • Mario Kart: Super Circuit

:peace:

Edited by RedShell
  • Thanks 2

Advance Wars

F-Zero Maximum Velocity

Kuru Kuru Kururin

Golden Sun

Metroid Fusion

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Easy nomination stage for me with this one. :grin:

• Warioware, Inc.: Mega Microgames!
  • Warioware: Twisted
  • Rhythm Tengoku
  • Wario Land 4
  • Mario Kart: Super Circuit

:peace:

I was this close to choosing WarioWare Twisted. But it was either that or Mother 3, and Mother 3 is too special for me to ignore.

• Like 1

• Wario Ware: Twisted
  • Metroid: Zero Mission
  • Fire Emblem (Blazing Blade)
  • Mother 3
  • MegaMan Zero

List might not be final.

• Thanks 1