NEurope
Dufniall

Travelling to Japan

So, in two months me and my girlfriend will be travelling to the country that is on top of both of our wishlists: Japan! We'll be there for about 16 days, going from the South to the Middle of the country via Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Kyoto and Tokyo with some smaller stops in between.

We have booked all the hotels and the train pass to get around, but now it's time to fill in those days. My girlfriend really enjoys the traditional side such as the temples, and we will be doing a tea ceremony. I on the other hand am mostly interested in the nerdy stuff: robots, games, tech and anime. 

As I won't be the first person here (and probably won't be the last!) to travel to the Land of the Rising Sun, and you guys over here share a lot of my interests, I was wondering who has some tips, must-sees or definitely-don'ts. Especially in the big cities, I would love to visit stuff like the Pokémon Center, that is the kind of things I'm looking for.

But feel free to share any stories or whatever you want here, it definitely doesn't need to be relevant for my trip. I would love to hear your anecdotes as well!

• Like 2

I went once and then couldn't afford to go again (so far) but have a great time over there with your girlfriend.

I prefer the more traditional aspect of Japan so Kyoto was where I went before and I also spent half a day in Nara to see the deer park and the big Buddhist temple there. It's worth learning a few words in Japanese and making a photocopy of your passport that you can keep at your hotel. You are required as a tourist to keep official ID with you just in case you are stopped by the police in Japan (not sure if they will accept a photocopy). Keep a record of your credit cards contact details just in case they get lost. This happened to me a few weeks ago btw.

Very minor point here, cars drive on the same side as the UK/Ireland but even at red traffic lights when you think it is safe to cross, cars can still turn left or right into you when you are crossing. I thought this was a bit strange when I was there.

I didn't go anywhere else in Japan but I'm sure others will tell you to check out Akihabara in Tokyo. If I go back to Japan again then I'm hoping to go to Osaka. I'd better start saving then. I've heard that Tokyo Tower is a tourist trap but it's worth getting a photo of. I've never been to Tokyo but Tokyo Skytree looks interesting. Speaking of towers there is one in Kyoto which is opposite the train station and I've been to that one but you can get a free look over the city by walking to the top of the station itself. You should be able to see the Nintendo building from either there or Kyoto Tower. Also there is the old Nintendo building in Kyoto which is also worth taking a photo of.

Finally, I think it's worth a quick look at google or bing maps just to get an idea including 3D view of what the places you are visiting will look like. I know there are tons of YouTubers showing what Japan looks like but it's nice to check out the place virtually for yourself before going. Sadly google/bing maps didn't exist when I went to Japan.

Edited by sumo73
  • Thanks 1

I went to Japan a couple of years ago, and loved it. It's such a unique country with bizarre experiences and lovely people.

As for recommendations, we enjoyed going to a cat café, but other themed cafés are available - we saw a hedgehog and an owl one, depending on your preference.

Akiharbara is great for wandering around if you want tech stuff. There was one multistorey store that has an astonishing amount of stuff in it. Like going to Comic Con but on 9 levels and rammed with games, toys, merchandise etc.

Also, there isn't just one Pokémon Centre, we ended up in three different ones (two in Tokyo, and one in Kyoto, I think). Prepare to buy much tat.

The Skytower in Tokyo is expensive, but worth it for the fantastic view. We often pay to go up the tallest tower or building in a new city to help spot interesting areas or buildings we want to visit.

When getting around Tokyo, be aware that most of the Subway lines are owned by one company, and as such you can buy a pass to get around. However two (?) of the lines are owned by a separate company, and so your ticket won't work on these. It's a minor inconvenience, but we just bought the pass for the majority of lines, and avoided having to use the other two.

The Japanese don't really do card transactions. You'll pretty much have to use cash everywhere aside from some of the fancier restaurants. Keep a ready supply of change too, because you'll be stopping every 50 meters or so at a vending machine to try out a different strange beverage. Getting a hot can of coffee out of a vending machine is a real experience; getting a can of what you assume is grape juice, but turns out to have slimy grape jelly floating in it, is not.

I can't think of anything else right now, but if I do, I'll be sure to spam this thread.

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, bob said:

As for recommendations, we enjoyed going to a cat café, but other themed cafés are available - we saw a hedgehog and an owl one, depending on your preference.

Pshh... Didn't even look for any reptilian ones... You specieist.

We only went to Tokyo, but I'll reiterate perhaps what others have placed here. We went in October and we're already saving to go back again. 

1. Get Google Maps - hands down, the reason me and my partner were able to do ANYTHING was because we were told to have this, it makes navigating the underground a piece of cake. If there's one thing I'll say to take note is this, honestly have so much appreciation for that app after our trip. 

2. bob mentioned cards, Tokyo itself we didn't have much issue, but we brought quite a bit of yen just in case. There was a lot of opportunity for card if we wanted it.

3. We went go karting, highlight of our trip: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/experiences/121104 we went with these guys and they were pretty good, we were told to do it at dusk and it did not disappoint.

4. Akiharbara  was a highlight for us, we're both anime/manga fans and I found some items that were even hard to find in Japan! Super pleased. Notable places: 

• Electric Town
  • Club SEGA Arcade
  • Taito Hey Arcade
  • Super Potato

5. We went to an all you can eat korean bbq, pricey as hell, but worth it: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1066457-d1772739-Reviews-Rokkasen-Shinjuku_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

6. Make sure to check out genki sushi, we went once and it was dirt cheap, we regret not going again: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1066456-d4234509-Reviews-Genki_Sushi_Shibuya-Shibuya_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

7. Went to Metropolitan Government Observatory instead of Tokyo Tower because 1. it was less crowded and 2. its free. The views were stunning. 

We have loads more if you're stuck for ideas! I think you'll enjoy Tokyo and Japan in general, we got by with limit language and everyone was really nice (except the underground, I hated that). I'm jealous! :)

• Thanks 1

2. bob mentioned cards, Tokyo itself we didn't have much issue, but we brought quite a bit of yen just in case. There was a lot of opportunity for card if we wanted it.

Yeah I should clarify, our card didn't work everywhere. It worked in maybe 50% of cash machines, and fewer POS machines, so just be really careful if you want to use one.
  • Like 1

[mention=229]bob[/mention] - can you talk about your experience with the language barrier?
I spoke absolutely no Japanese, and had very few issues.

In Tokyo, lots of people spoke English, and we got by with everyone else by pointing and gesturing. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, even if neither of you spoke a word of the other language.

Pretty much all signs are in English, but for anything that wasn't, I used the Google translate app to view things though my camera. It wasn't great, but you got the gist.

We only went to Tokyo and Kyoto, so things might be worse if you venture further afield, but I doubt people are going to get less helpful and friendly!

The only time I remember having any problems was when we were trying to buy tickets to the Studio Ghibli museum via a self-service ticket machine in a convenience store (bizarrely, this is how you do it). The machine didn't have an English setting and we went round in circles a few times before realising they were sold out of tickets, which is why it wouldn't let us buy them.

• Thanks 1

When were you in Japan @bob? I've been reading that in preparation of the 2020 Olympics serious work is being put in the availability of English in the city. But like you said Tokyo is already quite far with English, and the Olympics are mostly there. I expect to have more problems with the language barrier in the smaller cities to the South.

Regarding food: Are menus and food labels usually in English too? I've got an intolerance for (certain types of) fish. I know, good idea to go to the epicenter of sushi when not eating fish. But I want to avoid eating fish and I'm wondering if it's easy to do, or that for example the vegetarian options are easily recognisable.

I went there with my brother in April 2017, it was such a great experience. Trying to pick just a few highlights is tricky.

My very first experience after getting off the train was walking through Osaka's Dotonbori streets at about 11pm. There was neon lights, giant dragons, angry chefs and crabs above restaurants, little shrines tucked down alleys, smells of loads of interesting street foods I'd never heard of before. 

Another highlight was hiring bikes for the day in Kyoto and going up the Philosophers Path followed by lots of shrines and temples including the Silver Pavilion. We had (mostly) great weather and the entire route was covered with cherry trees in full bloom. All the scenery was spectacular and there was a very chilled out and relaxing atmosphere.

• Thanks 1

When were you in Japan [mention=229]bob[/mention]? I've been reading that in preparation of the 2020 Olympics serious work is being put in the availability of English in the city. But like you said Tokyo is already quite far with English, and the Olympics are mostly there. I expect to have more problems with the language barrier in the smaller cities to the South.
Regarding food: Are menus and food labels usually in English too? I've got an intolerance for (certain types of) fish. I know, good idea to go to the epicenter of sushi when not eating fish. But I want to avoid eating fish and I'm wondering if it's easy to do, or that for example the vegetarian options are easily recognisable.

My wife is vegetarian, and generally we found it quite easy (although she does sometimes eat fish). Certainly way easier than other East Asian countries (*cough* South Korea) We found an amazing burger chain that offered veggie versions of pretty much everything on the menu, which was a nice surprise.

Regarding menus, most of them had English translations, or had a separate English version. For everything else, I used Google translate to search for ingredients and avoid surprises.

I went in 2017 as well, so they could well have ramped it up for the Olympics, but Kyoto was pretty accessable too. However, I suspect the more rural you are, the harder it will get, and the more careful you will have to be with menus.

• Thanks 1

I was living in Tokyo for a few years and have probably visited more than the average person over the last few years too.

Based on the geeky side and going to Akihabara I would take the electric town exit from the station and turn left once you're through the ticket gates, get to the main road and turn right. From here you want to walk up the street to the next main cross-roads and then come back down on the other side.

Things to check out on the way up:

• AKB Theatre at the top of Don Quijote
  • The weirdly posh Carls Jnr
  • The toy store on the opposite corner of the crossroad

and on the way back:

• Retro, this is a doorway going downstairs, they're usually playing Zelda music outside. Best selection of retro stuff now
  • Trader HQ, there are a few but this is the best one, first floor has a good retro selection
  • GoGo Curry - this is the best curry there, buy the ticket for what you want and they will bring what you order to you

Then take a turn away from the main road but walk parallel to it and see:

• Mandarake - probably the most retro stuff, but tends to not have much unique stuff
  • Super Potato - not a great selection of games and overpriced, has a lot of touristy "things" you can buy to bring back though

Other things to check out:

• Maid Cafes - try a themed one and then Maidreamin
  • AKB Cafe - near the station
  • Yodobashi Camera - on the other side of the station, huge general electronics store

Other things really depend on your tastes and budget. Are you big on eating out? I'm sure I have tons more I can share on anything specific you're interested in.

• Thanks 1

My partner lost his mind over Super Potato @will' how we didn't come away with more stuff is amazing. 

I’d heard over the last few years Super Potato has raised its prices quite a bit and it’s better to look for some of the smaller shops around the same area for deals.

• Like 1

Just now, Happenstance said:

I’d heard over the last few years Super Potato has raised its prices quite a bit and it’s better to look for some of the smaller shops around the same area for deals.

We thought everything in the area was cheap, but only because in the UK the way me and my partner shop for things like that would be expensive regardless. We ended up taking over a £1000 in yen each, we came back without about half of that, because we thought it'd be far more expensive than it was. 

• Like 1

I'm hoping to spend two weeks over in Japan in the next year, so this thread has been really great and useful. The only thing that has me worried is the food. I'm not a big fan of most seafood :blush:

I'm a vegetarian and I survived. They do a fair bit of meat stuff too so I think you'll be fine. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nightwolf said:

My partner lost his mind over Super Potato @will' how we didn't come away with more stuff is amazing. 

Don't get me wrong, it's still much better than you'll find in most other places. It's just been surpassed by a lot of the other stores in that particular area.

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I'm hoping to spend two weeks over in Japan in the next year, so this thread has been really great and useful. The only thing that has me worried is the food. I'm not a big fan of most seafood :blush:

I wouldn't worry about this at all. There are way more non-seafood places than there is seafood.

• Thanks 1