NEurope
Dcubed

Google Stadia

Modern game preservation is pretty much knackered anyway. We've already reached the point where a lot of modern games simply won't work in years to come. So many games, both physical and digital, require day one patches for them to actually run correctly. When companies move on and the ability to patch these older games disappears then the games will be a buggy mess, some being pretty much unplayable. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Modern game preservation is pretty much knackered anyway. We've already reached the point where a lot of modern games simply won't work in years to come. So many games, both physical and digital, require day one patches for them to actually run correctly. When companies move on and the ability to patch these older games disappears then the games will be a buggy mess, some being pretty much unplayable. 

True. But at least with the way things are now (regardless of physical or digital) as long as the hardware survives, the games and their patches do as well. With something like Stadia the consumer doesn’t have ownership of the games or the hardware! Whenever Google or a developer decide to pull the plug, that’s it.

The best part about this is how easy it's going to be to own Stadia players who siffer from constant lag in multiplayer shooters 😂

On 20/03/2019 at 8:07 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Depends very much on the game. Multiplayer games will always be patched to adapt to exploits and add updates etc. These games are always destined to disappear as they rely on multiplayer servers and are much more throwaway.

Single player only games, especially Japanese games don't get patched as much, if at all, and are much more complete to begin with*. I don't think I downloaded a single patch for Persona 5 or Nier Automata. I don't recall one for Witcher 3 either, but I'm sure it's fine unpatched either way.

*We'll pretend Bethesda doesn't exist.

Depends very much on the game. Multiplayer games will always be patched to adapt to exploits and add updates etc. These games are always destined to disappear as they rely on multiplayer servers and are much more throwaway.
Single player only games, especially Japanese games don't get patched as much, if at all, and are much more complete to begin with*. I don't think I downloaded a single patch for Persona 5 or Nier Automata. I don't recall one for Witcher 3 either, but I'm sure it's fine unpatched either way.

I’m pretty sure Witcher 3 was buggy as hell at launch and received a pretty big patch fairly early on?

It has definitely received multiple patches over time to improve the inventory, that was pretty bad when it first came out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Goafer said:

The Witcher 3 had a crazy amount of patches. The last time I thought about playing the game I think there was around 30-40GB of data that needed downloading. They changed a lot in that game since it's release. The same can be said for something like Final Fantasy XV. It's launch version has so many things missing compared to what is actually out now.

I agree that Japanese developers do tend to be better at this than their western counterparts. The west seems to have a mentality of just shipping a broken game and just fix it somewhere down the line. Even indie games are now following this trend. For example, this month i've been playing Toejam & Earl: Back in the Groove and the game was a broken mess when it launched. It's had a patch since released but it's still got a few issues. The developers even admitted they knew the game had a few issues when it launched.

A lot of games are releasing when they aren't really ready. If these patches and updates aren't available in the future then the games that need them to run properly are going to be left in a sorry state. It's no longer just about worrying if your console is going to break but also whether the games are going to be able to run without patches. 

So the live stream for this pretty much confirmed all the leaks. It's launching this November, with a Founders Edition available to pre-order now for £119 that comes with a night blue coloured controller, Chromecast Ultra, 3 months of Stadia Pro subscription, a buddy pass for 3 months of Stadia Pro subscription to give to a friend and the complete Destiny 2 collection including all expansions (with the new expansion Shadowkeep, which had been leaked, officially announced as well) and annual passes.

The stand alone subscription is launching at $9.99 a month (so I'd reckon £8.99 over here) or you can simply buy the games you want from the Stadia store without any subscription.

Controller is $69.99. No UK price from what I can see for that alone yet but I'd wager it'll be close to a straight conversion.

They're sticking with the 35mbps connection needed for playing in 4k/60fps and Dolby 5.1. If you've got a 10mbps connection you can apparently get 720p/60fps.

So not a bad price if it all works and that's the caveat to the whole thing. If the tech works then it could be great but just the stream they put out alone was dropping in and out all over the place and that's with me having a 50mbps connection. So there's still question marks over it.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Thanks 2

So its interesting now its revealed.

Not a PSNOW/ NETFLIX style service. You buy the games. Looks alright.

I like alot of stuff here. Lots more streaming services coming but cost wise Google, Amazon and MS have an absolutely huge advantage.

Given Google, MS etc. are too powerful, they shouldnt get a free pass on cross saves and play. This is exactly what the legal and political discussion has been about big tech everywhere.

Google's cloud network being down the other day doesn't exactly inspire confidence. To be fair it's pretty rare to go down, but still.

I might just preorder now and decide later. It all sounds interesting at least. It’ll depend on what they add to Stadia Pro.

26 minutes ago, Ike said:

Google's cloud network being down the other day doesn't exactly inspire confidence. To be fair it's pretty rare to go down, but still.

Promise are one thing, reality another.

Google and MS both have also shutdown services. MS's failed ebook reader service very recently, permanently wiped everyone's purchased book/accounts.

On 06/06/2019 at 7:05 PM, Choze said:

MS's failed ebook reader service very recently, permanently wiped everyone's purchased book/accounts.

They've never been able to replicate the success of Zune.

• Haha 1

On 08/06/2019 at 3:40 PM, Ashley said:

They've never been able to replicate the success of Zune.

True but people are on their phones too. Zune didnt do well numbers wise I recall. Ipod dominated at the time.

After the MS conference. The big Tech giants dont exactly look amazing...

Was funny hearing MS announce Remote Play for the xbox.

That's the laziest comic I've ever seen. Why even bother drawing the figure at all, just write the passive aggressive paragraph, and then leave.

• Like 1

I think its a stab at MS and google's muddled messaging.

Both are also laggards. How many years late?

Edited by Choze

On 10/06/2019 at 4:08 PM, bob said:

That's the laziest comic I've ever seen. Why even bother drawing the figure at all, just write the passive aggressive paragraph, and then leave.

Because that's what they do. A sarcastic rant in text-only form would go unnoticed between all the other comics. They've done similar comics before where they used a abstract generic figure if they wanted to depict a hypothetical "average consumer". Regardless.. the message is exactly why I think this is going to be a flop.

I have a question about Google Stadia. I'm probably being dumb so apologies for that in advance. xD

My question is this... why is there a £120 "console" involved? Surely the idea would be that you pay the monthly subscription and then just download the "Stadia" app on any smart TV/PC/device, and off you go streaming games. Like Netflix, but games. Of course you'll probably want a controller too, but surely any modern controller would work?

I have a question about Google Stadia. I'm probably being dumb so apologies for that in advance. xD
My question is this... why is there a £120 "console" involved? Surely the idea would be that you pay the monthly subscription and then just download the "Stadia" app on any smart TV/PC/device, and off you go streaming games. Like Netflix, but games. Of course you'll probably want a controller too, but surely any modern controller would work?
I don't think you need the console. It is just there if someone wants a box to go under their TV, and will provide the best, wired, experience of Google Stadia, with lowest lag etc. I don't know for sure though.
  • Thanks 1

The £120 is for a 4k chromecast, controller, 3 month Stadia pro subscription and early naming. It won't always be necessary.

• Thanks 1

I've cancelled my Stadia preorder. I still think its an interesting idea but without knowing what kind of exclusive games it may get, at the moment it just doesn't feel like I need it. I'll get multiplatform games elsewhere and I'm already signed up to PC Game Pass and soon probably PS Now so games that I might not buy are accessibile to me as well.

• Thanks 1

Phil Harrison's reign of terror continues to yet another platform! 

A shame but completely foreseeable; if they weren't launching with some big exclusives, then it had to be a Netflix type thing; if it had been I probably would have bitten. As it is, Xbox game pass (and the potential with streaming I mentioned in the Xbox thread) will likely put pay to this pretty swiftly until all the features are there that they've promised and it becomes subscription!

3 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Phil Harrison's reign of terror continues to yet another platform! 

A shame but completely foreseeable; if they weren't launching with some big exclusives, then it had to be a Netflix type thing; if it had been I probably would have bitten. As it is, Xbox game pass (and the potential with streaming I mentioned in the Xbox thread) will likely put pay to this pretty swiftly until all the features are there that they've promised and it becomes subscription!

Microsoft knew exactly what they were doing with the xCloud stuff they showed off during their recent event. They seem much more prepared for the streaming setup than Google have shown.

• Like 1