NEurope
Dcubed

Google Stadia

Looks like it’s happening! Oh my!

A New Challenger Enters The Ring!! 

Eh, tt's Google, it'll be poorly supported and then they'll drop it citing too few people used it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Teaser trailer doesn't say much and they should have added this to the video -

My guess is this will be another cloud based console. I think I'll pass.

Edited by sumo73

I'm pretty excited to see what this announcement is all about. Many scoffed at both Sony and Microsoft when they were entering the gaming industry and look how that turned out. Interesting times, for sure.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Rumours have been rife for a long time about a Cloud-based console from Google.  It’s certainly one to keep an eye on, and while I don’t expect it to have the quality of games that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft have, it will have the financial backing of Google behind it.  That kind of financial muscle was missing from some of the other competitors in the console market previously so it’s worth being wary of what they’re going to be offering and how much it could potentially affect Nintendo’s share of the market.

They've already got the support of Ubisoft, so I can see the Assasin's Creed games being primarily advertised on this new Google machine in the future along with any other major Ubisoft game.

On 15/03/2019 at 11:44 PM, GenericAperson said:

They've already got the support of Ubisoft, so I can see the Assasin's Creed games being primarily advertised on this new Google machine in the future along with any other major Ubisoft game.

Ubisoft supported the Wii U.  They'll support anything :p 

• Haha 3

Sundar Pichai opening with "I don't really play games other than FIFA 19" and "cricket is like baseball, but better" is the most middling way possible to open this :p 

I did laugh at his comment about cricket... but yes it's not exactly huge endorsment from a CEO.

Let's not forget that these conferences are usually aimed at a developer audience though.

1 minute ago, GenericAperson said:

Let's not forget that these conferences are usually aimed at a developer audience though.

They've actually invited quite a lot of gaming journalists to their announcement this year.

Looks like it’s a cloud streaming service after all...

Disappointing...

Impressive and all.

But how would that work without access to an insanely fast internet connection?

Meh, I've seen enough, I'll check back here later to see if anything earth-shattering is announced from this, I doubt it though. :p

This is pretty incredible.

Gutted we haven't seen a console (so far?), but this is seriously impressive, even in a closed system on a stage.

The video stream itself just went all glitchy and weird. And you expect me to game this way? Fuck right off.

• Like 1

Just now, Julius said:

This is pretty incredible.

Gutted we haven't seen a console (so far?), but this is seriously impressive, even in a closed system on a stage.

That's because WE ALREADY OWN THE HARDWARE

The "console" is the TV, the computers and phones.

The controller links directly with the server?

Well it’s a novel idea at least!

Gonna be an absolute lag fest though!

9 minutes ago, GenericAperson said:

That's because WE ALREADY OWN THE HARDWARE

The "console" is the TV, the computers and phones.

Yeah, I'm more than aware. It was clear to some extent that that would be the case prior to the announcement, but the start of this conference straight up confirmed it. Despite that, there's still a reason why myself, others here, and much of the press were expecting to see a console. 

Regardless, I don't need see your need to put your point across to me in all caps; it might not have been your intent, but it comes across as aggressive and quite condescending. 

Anyway, hope they start showing some more games soon...

Edited by Julius

The more I think about this, the more it seems stupid.

Relies on a good, constant internet connection and the servers to always be working. Well that's half of the UK unable to access it already.

Anyone who has ever tried to play a popular online game on launch day will know every game launch will be a mess.

Want to cancel your subscription or take a break? You just lost all "your" games.

In 10 years' time, do you want to revisit that classic game you loved? Sorry, it's not being hosted anymore.

Want to play on any game where input lag is a no-no? Good luck with that. There are players that play with wired controllers and complain if the tv they're using has input lag. Add the fact that you're controlling something on the other side of the planet and it's a huge no.

• Like 3

The more I think about this, the more it seems stupid.
Relies on a good, constant internet connection and the servers to always be working. Well that's half of the UK unable to access it already.
Anyone who has ever tried to play a popular online game on launch day will know every game launch will be a mess.
Want to cancel your subscription or take a break? You just lost all "your" games.
In 10 years' time, do you want to revisit that classic game you loved? Sorry, it's not being hosted anymore.
Want to play on any game where input lag is a no-no? Good luck with that. There are players that play with wired controllers and complain if the tv they're using has input lag. Add the fact that you're controlling something on the other side of the planet and it's a huge no.
It's just the same as Netflix though. If I stop paying, I lose access to all those films and TV shows.