NEurope

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I'm really looking forward to Ubisoft. They usually put on a great show with tons of diverse genres on dispaly.

Erm. Never mind.Β 

ENOUGH with this shooter obsession in the industry. Jeeze.

PleaseΒ salvage this E3 Nintendo...

• Haha 1

As much as I hated on Devolver's shows the last couple of years their Direct was genuinely the best show so far. It was snappy, entertaining and had a couple of nice reveals. The actual conferences so far have been so bloated, these things used to be an hour long at the most but the publishers are really pushing my patience now. Ubi's crowd wasn't as bad as Bethesda but there was still way too many interruptions from the audience. If I wasn't watching these things along with EZA then they would be impossible to sit through.

Edited by killthenet

I kind of switched off around Ghost Recon to be honest. I think this is definitely a year where Ubisoft might have benefited from doing a Direct stream or even doing what the teams working on Beyond Good and Evil 2 did and just let the devs put out their on dev diaries and such.

It just felt flat and bland and little beyond Watch Dogs Legion stood out. But even that joined what will be the trend of this E3 in being a 2020 title. They didn't have much to show and it was the same with Microsoft and Bethesda. Guess everyone is in that lull waiting for next gen to come along. E3 2019, bringing you hot games in 2020Β ::shrug:

I'm sure Square Enix will have more and buck the trend as they've obviously got the FF7 Remake, Babylon Fall I believe and there's that Yoko Taro game that he's working on. And of course Avengers and whatever else Eidos has cooking. But even that I'm sure will still feel a little stilted as that just seems to be the feeling I'm getting from this E3.

@killthenet Yeah, Devolver was truly good. Quality entertainment right there. I love the actress who play Nina "Motherfucking" Struthers and the whole character she's built up. So much quality! And the way they kinda didn't care about showing their game trailers, but instead mixed it up with the "direct" and all the interruptions and errors just made it way less formal and way better! Keep on putting out new Directs Devolver, you're doing a good job!

Hated the Devolver thing again. I just don’t find it funny.Β :blank:

13 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Ubi's crowd wasn't as bad as Bethesda but there was still way too much interuptions from the audience.Β 

I feel like that’s just Americans in general tbh. Their crowds love their overlongΒ clapping, cheering and whooping.Β Β 

27 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Hated the Devolver thing again. I just don’t find it funny.Β :blank:

I mean, if you don't find them announcing a game for theΒ arcade format even a little funny, then I don't know what to say.

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I mean, if you don't find them announcing a game for theΒ arcade format even a little funny, then I don't know what to say.

I thought the game looked incredibly cool, I just don't find their shtick funny at all. Too obvious, in your face, try too hard, for me at least.

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I thought the game looked incredibly cool, I just don't find their shtick funny at all. Too obvious, in your face, try too hard, for me at least.

It beats the many times I've seen a person walk on to the stage and attempt a joke only for it to fall flat. Devolver puts some proper effort in their presentations to stand out and entertain the viewers.

Humour is subjective, I get that. But compare Ubisoft's to Devolver's and the difference is night and day.

Devolver could come to a conference with absolutely nothing and they'd probably have me laughing in the aisles because they'd twist it into something funny. They've seen an opportunity to use E3 to do something unique and it's landed really well. And they commit to their gags, those fake credits were full of great little nonsense names ("Who puppeteers the puppeteers? - WHOAAAAAAA!"). And when those credits said "Download the soundtrack at...", I broke a huge smile when I found the tweet advertising the conferences soundtrack. Seriously, who does that!?

Devolver Bootleg was very inspired too, and the icing on the gag cake was finding the introductory offer of a 1% discount for that. It's so stupid, it's endearing.

Their conferences work for me because they take many of the negative aspects of gaming and E3 conferences and exaggerates it to a colossal degree. And they're not shy of taking digs at Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft.

It's funny because it's kinda true.

• Thanks 2

While Devolver's humour tends to get a tad too gory/disturbing for me, I highly respect what they're trying to do. The first time they did it, I felt like it was just a collection of skits with a couple of real announcements, but this one actually had a meaty number of real titles that looked interesting (Picnic Messenger is real, isn't it?). So I'm super happy that someone is consistently going for something unique, without sacrificing substance.

Righto, so who's staying up for the Square conference?

Apart from Nintendo and Devolver, this is the one I'm looking forward to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll be watching it but I don't really have a horse in the race, Babylon's Fall is the only previously announced game that I'm interested in but I'm hoping for a nice surprise or two.Β 

Materia DLC? Groan...

Suppose there always has to be a catch.

Edited by Glen-i

I wonder why they're only releasing one of those Romancing Saga games on XBox.