NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

The Jimquisition Thread

46 minutes ago, Goafer said:

I haven't watched enough of his stuff to form a proper opinion on him, but I have better things to do with my time than dwell on negativity and watch someone remind me how shit certain aspects of gaming can be.

I used to be (and probably still am to some degree) like that, but I'm making efforts not to watch or read negative content any more, because I just end up angry and cynical. I'd much rather spend my time listening to people enjoy the hobby and finding the positives, because if we're not enjoying it, what's the point?

Each to their own, but it's not for me.

I can see your point. I know people who avoid watching the news at all costs because all that is on there is death and destruction. 

Thing is, at least in terms of Jim's content, how can we expect change if someone isn't willing to call out the scummy practices? Star Wars Battlefront 2 was a fine example of how people like Jim were able to get things changed for the better because they were willing to push publishers to make the changes that needed to be made. 

On a more personal note, gaming is my main hobby. I love it to bits and have a huge passion for it, both when playing a game and when reading about the industry. I think you have to take a look at both the good and the bad to get a broader opinion on any subject. I do agree that looking at the negativity in gaming can bring you down ( it does bum me out when I see just how scummy the hobby has become ) but I think it's part of getting a better understanding of all of the gaming landscape.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Thing is, at least in terms of Jim's content, how can we expect change if someone isn't willing to call out the scummy practices?

By ignoring it to the point that it becomes financially unviable to continue with scummy practices. 

I get the raising awareness point, but surely we're all well aware of it by now? Do we really need someone complaining about it to let us know that a £99 premium subscription is shit?

I have no real problem with the negativity existing, it's just not for me. I hate microtransactions as much as the next person, but I have no interest in going out of my way to dwell on it. I'll discuss it if it comes up, but actively choosing to watch someone complain about it seems like a waste of time to me, especially when I'm already doing all I can (not buying the product) to prevent it.

• Thanks 2

I think we absolutely need people calling this stuff out. I think the thing here is that if you don’t want to watch it for whatever reason (negativity/annoying twat) then you do t have to. I think the benefit of having it put out there though is still important.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Goafer said:

I get the raising awareness point, but surely we're all well aware of it by now? Do we really need someone complaining about it to let us know that a £99 premium subscription is shit?

For a lot of people it's the first time they've heard about it; not everyone follows gaming websites Even then, there are details in the videos that I didn't know about and made me realise how crappy Bethesda had been, particularly with regards to Obsidian (repackaging their iconic outfit they developed, after previously having denied them bonuses). If nothing else it is interesting to hear how low a publisher can fall. It is now actually making me question purchasing their future games, thanks to watching Jim's video.

• Thanks 2

My main problem with Jim is that he has no decorum. I remember a video of him a while back (about the Steam Workshop, iirc) that raised a lot of good points, exposed several flaws, and was clearly researched properly... and yet I could never share it, on account of the man mentioning "a basket of dildos" twice in his opening statement. Or putting a neverending gif of a greedy troll every time he mentioned the company at fault (sometimes for minutes on end). Or whenever he said the words "Treeple EEEEEY". And the other multiple signs of petty, childish behaviour that he displays on a regular basis.

"[Company] wants to have their cake and fuck it, too" is the prime example of how he can't make a single point without being crass every step of the way.

For that reason, I limit myself to read comments here (and in other places) whenever a new video comes out. Reading reactions gives me a decent idea of what is it that happened. All because I can't stand to see his videos, even though I want to hear about what the sort of thing he's exposing. And if I (someone already interested in the subject, and agreeing with his general point) can't stand him, why would anybody outside of my internet gaming circles?

Is that what activism is supposed to look like? A circus ringmaster doing his best to show petty behaviour? Nobody would take him seriously, lest of all the people he ought to convince (politicians, other activists, etc). Activism is supposed to draw attention to a problem that isn't getting it, and doing so in a way that convinces other people that it is a serious problem worthy of their attention. He's not going to accomplish that with baskets of dildos.

That's what annoys me the most about him: that he took up the responsibility of being a mouthpiece for these issues, and then uses that notoriety to behave so irresponsibly.

9 hours ago, Dcubed said:

The guy is an absolute ham.  Of course he's playing up his persona for laughs/to rile people up.  The guy's an amateur wrestler FFS! Ham is what he IS!

Quick note: "Pro Wrestling" is the name of the performing activity. "Amateur Wrestling" usually refers to the real sport. If he is unpaid, I suppose that, paradoxically, the proper term might be "Amateur Pro Wrestler".

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Goafer said:

By ignoring it to the point that it becomes financially unviable to continue with scummy practices. 

I have no real problem with the negativity existing, it's just not for me. I hate microtransactions as much as the next person, but I have no interest in going out of my way to dwell on it. I'll discuss it if it comes up, but actively choosing to watch someone complain about it seems like a waste of time to me, especially when I'm already doing all I can (not buying the product) to prevent it.

The only way anything is going to change though is if people keep on hounding on these publishers for these things though.  Jim even acknowledged this issue himself in a previous video; he knows that he continuously rags on about things that he's ragged on about 1,000 times.  Publishers are ultimately banking on people getting bored about an issue and ultimately giving up, letting them get away with it; and that's why Jim keeps on at it.

That's ultimately what journalists need to be doing.  They are supposed to be on these subjects like rabid dogs that don't let go.  And that's why Jim isn't giving up and doing exactly what the publishers want.  It works.  That's why publishers are now backing down on lootboxes, because people like Jim just kept on at them and didn't just give up and accept them as the norm.  They got people to take notice, both the public and those in power, and now publishers are taking a beating.

So yes, we need people like Jim to keep telling everyone that a £99 premium subscription is shit; because it is!! It should never be the norm and it should never be acceptable; least of all in a game as utterly shambolically pathetic and contemptfully broken as Fallout 76!

Quick note: "Pro Wrestling" is the name of the performing activity. "Amateur Wrestling" usually refers to the real sport. If he is unpaid, I suppose that, paradoxically, the proper term might be "Amateur Pro Wrestler".

You know what I meant @Jonnas :p 

Is that what activism is supposed to look like? A circus ringmaster doing his best to show petty behaviour? Nobody would take him seriously, lest of all the people he ought to convince (politicians, other activists, etc). Activism is supposed to draw attention to a problem that isn't getting it, and doing so in a way that convinces other people that it is a serious problem worthy of their attention. He's not going to accomplish that with baskets of dildos.

Funnily enough, he does actually get taken seriously by mainstream outlets.  He was approached by the BBC to discuss Lootboxes and he is often quoted by outlets such as The Washington Post.  So his crassness doesn't seem to be stopping him from making waves outside of the industry anyway.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

My main problem with Jim is that he has no decorum. I remember a video of him a while back (about the Steam Workshop, iirc) that raised a lot of good points, exposed several flaws, and was clearly researched properly... and yet I could never share it, on account of the man mentioning "a basket of dildos" twice in his opening statement. Or putting a neverending gif of a greedy troll every time he mentioned the company at fault (sometimes for minutes on end). Or whenever he said the words "Treeple EEEEEY". And the other multiple signs of petty, childish behaviour that he displays on a regular basis."[Company] wants to have their cake and fuck it, too" is the prime example of how he can't make a single point without being crass every step of the way. For that reason, I limit myself to read comments here (and in other places) whenever a new video comes out. Reading reactions gives me a decent idea of what is it that happened. All because I can't stand to see his videos, even though I want to hear about what the sort of thing he's exposing. And if I (someone already interested in the subject, and agreeing with his general point) can't stand him, why would anybody outside of my internet gaming circles? Is that what activism is supposed to look like? A circus ringmaster doing his best to show petty behaviour? Nobody would take him seriously, lest of all the people he ought to convince (politicians, other activists, etc). Activism is supposed to draw attention to a problem that isn't getting it, and doing so in a way that convinces other people that it is a serious problem worthy of their attention. He's not going to accomplish that with baskets of dildos.That's what annoys me the most about him: that he took up the responsibility of being a mouthpiece for these issues, and then uses that notoriety to behave so irresponsibly.

He doesn't need to be mature to get his point across or convince people of his points, so I disagree with you there. He is already often referenced in gaming media (and in the BBC, as Dcubed points out) and has helped successfully pressure publishers despite how he does it. And I'm sure he'd rather have fun doing it being himself than conform like that. It rather sounds to me like you're being a little bit uptight; I appreciate his brand of immature humour isn't for everyone, but it clearly does still work. He doesn't need to change - in fact changing could well render him less interesting to watch, and he could lose his audience; losing money and his means to carry on doing this job. 

I actually like that he doesn't shy away from showing his personality and hobbies (especially the wrestling). It would be very easy not to include that stuff for worry of being ridiculed, particularly because of his weight, but he generally doesn't give a fuck. That, or he hides it well.

I also can't disagree more about your complaint about how he pronounces triple A. That's actually one of his best things. That, and "live services".

Speaking of Jim and positivity...

Here's a positive Jimquisition all about The Outer Worlds!

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Funnily enough, he does actually get taken seriously by mainstream outlets.  He was approached by the BBC to discuss Lootboxes and he is often quoted by outlets such as The Washington Post.  So his crassness doesn't seem to be stopping him from making waves outside of the industry anyway.

...I did not expect a Washington Post to link to a Simpsons clip in the middle of an article. Journalistic standards are weird in the english-speaking world.

I see that they also mentioned the highest-rated Reddit comment alongside Jim's video. Makes me think they did so because those were the fastest responses to the scandal. It is true that Jim has gained notoriety in the field, and it is useful to say "Notable Youtuber condemns [X]". I just don't think his videos actually hold up to further scrutiny.

28 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Speaking of Jim and positivity...

Here's a positive Jimquisition all about The Outer Worlds!

Shame about the clickbait negative headline

Edited by Ronnie

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

The only way anything is going to change though is if people keep on hounding on these publishers for these things though.

Publisher's aren't going to give a shit about a bunch of YouTube videos if the money is still flooding in, which is the only reason they do it. Just look at any social media post from Rockstar about GTA Online, it's absolutely rammed with people complaining about the price of new cars and how they're priced that way to encourage people to buy Shark Cards. It's blatant, everyone moans about it, Rockstar knows people hate it, yet they keep doing it because it absolutely rakes in the cash.

I'm all for reviews and such mentioning what the microtransactions are like (as long as they avoid sensationalism), but I'm just not going to go out of my way to listen to someone moan and complain. I've got better things to do and I feel my mental health be much better for not actively seeking out outrage.

Like I said, each to their own, but can any of you honestly say you come away from one of his videos in a better mood than you went in with?

Edited by Goafer
  • Like 1

"Basically, we don't need Bethesda anymore. It has served its purpose - barely adequately - and we have something better now." - Sterling

Jesus

Edited by Ronnie

Publisher's aren't going to give a shit about a bunch of YouTube videos if the money is still flooding in, which is the only reason they do it. Just look at any social media post from Rockstar about GTA Online, it's absolutely rammed with people complaining about the price of new cars and how they're priced that way to encourage people to buy Shark Cards. It's blatant, everyone moans about it, Rockstar knows people hate it, yet they keep doing it because it absolutely rakes in the cash. I'm all for reviews and such mentioning what the microtransactions are like (as long as they avoid sensationalism), but I'm just not going to go out of my way to listen to someone moan and complain. I've got better things to do and I feel my mental health be much better for not actively seeking out outrage.Like I said, each to their own, but can any of you honestly say you come away from one of his videos in a better mood than you went in with?

Well it's not up to publishers to give a shit about things like lootboxes anymore - like Jim says, it was never his preference for government to get involved. But regulate themselves they never would - and thanks to publicity from people like Jim, we're starting to see the knock on effects elsewhere in the media leading to lootbox regulation at the governmental level, getting the scrutiny they deserve.

And just one point to your comment - while you've provided an example of a publisher who doesn't give a fuck, I could give you an example of a publisher who actually stripped lootboxes from their game. And another example of a developer proudly exclaiming their game doesn't have lootboxes, given the reputation they now have.

• Thanks 1

We're just going round in circles now. I've said a few times I don't mind/care that the videos exist, but I don't see the point in watching them myself. If you care enough, petitioning government to intervene, complaining directly or just not buying their products seems far more productive that just watching a video and getting all worked up about it. Like I said, has anyone actually come away from one of his videos in a better mood than they went in with? Action is better than aimless anger IMO.

It's a fair point that I don't have to watch his videos, and I totally agree, but equally no one has to buy games with microtransactions. It sucks that some loved franchises have been dragged down by scummy practices, but move on. Find something else to enjoy, rather than just dwelling on the negative.

There's a really good comic strip that I can't find anymore that showed 2 ways of dealing with dog shit on a path. The first, which represented real life, was someone just walking round it with a passing comment in how bad it was that someone had left it there. The second, which represented how people on the internet deal with things, had the person pick it up, smear it all over themselves, whilst yelling to everyone else about how gross and unacceptable it was that it had been left there. It was obviously a silly example designed for humour, but it pretty much sums up my view on microtransactions etc. I can dwell on it, getting myself down or angry in the process (whilst also not actually achieving anything), or I can go about my day and find something positive (whilst also voting with my wallet in this case). It's a purely selfish viewpoint, but it's one that will hopefully lead to a happier existence for me.

To me gaming is a hobby. It's supposed to be fun. I don't see the point in going out of my way to find the negatives. It's like going to an art gallery just to look at paintings you hate.

Edited by Goafer
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Goafer said:

Like I said, has anyone actually come away from one of his videos in a better mood than they went in with?

Absolutely. Heck, the latest episode that Dcubed posted had me laughing during certain points (quickly knocked up a Gif).

giphy.gif

The way he presents a lot of his subjects I find funny. Things like his character, the Surprise Mechanic, was a hilarious jab at one of EA's senior executives during the loot box hearing or the random pictures he posts in his video always get a chuckle out of me. There's a guy on YouTube named Yong Yea and he does similar videos to Jim but his are very dry and serious. Yeah, he's presenting the news but it's not entertaining.

I can see your point, @Jonnas. This type of humour isn't for everyone. I don't use bad language myself but I have no issue with others using it, especially when it's used to comedic effect. I posted in the movie thread how I recently watched Shaft. It was basically Sam Jackson just effing and blinding all the way through it and I found it hilarious. I don't think it would have been half as funny if he did use such harsh language. I think it's the same thing here. I dunno, maybe it's just a commentary on how messed up I am. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I always come away from watching Jim's videos with a smile on my face. Some of his more base humour isn't really for me, but the obscure British TV references and the way he forms a sentence and a turn of phrase sometimes have me on the floor. He's a genuinely funny guy, and while the topic is a bit depressing, I never come away from watching his videos as having wasted my time. He regularly informs and educates, always entertains. He is the BBC. 

We're just going round in circles now. I've said a few times I don't mind/care that the videos exist, but I don't see the point in watching them myself. If you care enough, petitioning government to intervene, complaining directly or just not buying their products seems far more productive that just watching a video and getting all worked up about it. Like I said, has anyone actually come away from one of his videos in a better mood than they went in with? Action is better than aimless anger IMO. It's a fair point that I don't have to watch his videos, and I totally agree, but equally no one has to buy games with microtransactions. It sucks that some loved franchises have been dragged down by scummy practices, but move on. Find something else to enjoy, rather than just dwelling on the negative. There's a really good comic strip that I can't find anymore that showed 2 ways of dealing with dog shit on a path. The first, which represented real life, was someone just walking round it with a passing comment in how bad it was that someone had left it there. The second, which represented how people on the internet deal with things, had the person pick it up, smear it all over themselves, whilst yelling to everyone else about how gross and unacceptable it was that it had been left there. It was obviously a silly example designed for humour, but it pretty much sums up my view on microtransactions etc. I can dwell on it, getting myself down or angry in the process (whilst also not actually achieving anything), or I can go about my day and find something positive (whilst also voting with my wallet in this case). It's a purely selfish viewpoint, but it's one that will hopefully lead to a happier existence for me. To me gaming is a hobby. It's supposed to be fun. I don't see the point in going out of my way to find the negatives. It's like going to an art gallery just to look at paintings you hate.       

I wouldn't say we are going round in circles, you said that publishers aren't going to give a shit about YouTube videos by Jim, which as far as I'm aware is a new point, and that's what I was responding to.  Also your point you make - that nobody needs to buy games with microtransactions, and that they should just avoid them, I think is not best informed. Jim has gone into this subject more, but there are many people susceptible to lootboxes who can't control themselves (gambling addicts, basically). There are also children who are always going to want the latest FIFA game, for instance, and then you see there are games more or less targeting them with loot boxes. It is nasty stuff, and the answer isn't to just tell everyone to ignore them. Not everyone can easily ignore them - hence why whales exist.

With regards to going round in circles - you asked again if anyone has ever come away from his video in a good mood, but like I said before - I do! I think a lot of people find them entertaining and the effect of entertainment is to generally lift one's mood. You seem to have the idea that everyone comes away from his videos worked up or unhappy, and that may be true for you, but as myself and others in the topic have mentioned, we generally find the videos humorous and uplifting. He is trying to be funny about it, after all. I also get the impression from your first line that you thought I was telling you that you should be watching these videos, but that couldn't be further from the truth. It's your life, you choose what you want to watch. Not everyone will like his style.

If you can watch the start of his Call of Duty Jimpression and not laugh at the coronation Street scene he's used, you're not human :p

• Haha 4

Adding to what Happenstance posted.

Awful apology, if you can even call it that. Doesn't really acknowledge what they pulled and then don't even change their stance on it.

• Thanks 1

Interesting video from Jim this week about the use of bots in games and keeping players engaged for as long as possible.

Big respect to him for using The Bots Master for his background and ending music. Also, the scene from Transformers: The Movie showing Prime on his death bed was well used. :D 

• Thanks 1

Just finished watching it, completely agree on all fronts.

The lack of transparancy is completely purposeful and it's absolutely designed to trick you into continuing to engage with a game, even (no, especially) if you're not having fun; and to promote the idea that spending money on microtransactions is the social norm.

Shame on Nintendo for stooping to this low with Mario Kart Tour; I would've thought that they were above this... sadly not... Iwata would be spinning in his grave :( 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Sign in to follow this