NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

The Jimquisition Thread

32 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
3 hours ago, Ronnie said:
Is that a thing? The only videos I've seen of the Lite are of people absolutely adoring it.

Yup, it's a thing. People with Switch Lites are joining the class action lawsuit against Nintendo.

Fair enough, I just hadn't seen any reports of it on the Lite apart from that one guy who probably just jammed it to one side for internet fame said he had the issue on day 1, lol, as well. We'll see how things develop, seems a bit circumstantial for now.

While I wasn't surprised to see a Warner company or Rockstar in a Tax-Dodging video, I was somewhat surprised to find Sega and Sony in there... I don't know why but I was. ::shrug:

I already don't buy games from the former companies for other reasons, I still buy Sony and Sega published games but it does make me think how much do I really need them?

Although I will say that this UK Tax relief scheme should be a bit more strict about who they let claim for it, certainly above a certain amount of net earninings there should be a limit.

10 hours ago, S.C.G said:

While I wasn't surprised to see a Warner company or Rockstar in a Tax-Dodging video, I was somewhat surprised to find Sega and Sony in there... I don't know why but I was. ::shrug:

I already don't buy games from the former companies for other reasons, I still buy Sony and Sega published games but it does make me think how much do I really need them?

Although I will say that this UK Tax relief scheme should be a bit more strict about who they let claim for it, certainly above a certain amount of net earninings there should be a limit.

Sadly, it's how the business world works. I said the same thing when Jim posted a video about Activision and their tax dodging. It doesn't make it right but I can see why these corporations do it. They have the job of making as much money as possible for their investors, so using these tax loops is always going to be utilised. The governments in control of these laws should be looking at them and adjusting them to ensure that this kind of thing doesn't happen.

In terms of you avoid buying games for certain publishers, while admirable, I honestly think it's a losing battle. Pretty much ever major publisher tries to nickle and dime their customers in some fashion. So if you are not buying from one publisher then surely the same rule has to apply for all of them? 

Nintendo used to be immune to such criticisms but that isn't the case anymore. Their mobile offerings have shown they are quite happy to use exploitation tactics to rake in the cash and even something like Super Kirby Clash has been changed for the worse when compared to the original on the 3DS. On the 3DS version that was released a few years back you could pay £30 and this would remove all the timers and you could no longer pay anything more. You were essentially buying the game at this point and that's the best way to do FTP games, IMO. Fast forward to the Switch release and you can pay the £30 but now you can still access the store and buy more Gem Apples. It does warn you that the tree in your village wont grow any larger but they are quite happy for you to still spend the money anyway.

Unless people are willing to completely give up on buying games altogether then you will probably be supporting a company that has some very dodgy business practices going on. It's the sad reality of the gaming industry now. It may be snobby and gatekeeping but I despise what the casual/mainstream/mobile market has done to this hobby. Gamers who are in the know and who are against these kinds of practices are powerless to change any of it. Sad but true.

• Thanks 1

FIFA 20 then... looks like EA messed up their yearly cookie-cutter, cut 'n paste, change a few things, slap in some microtransactions and wait for the money to roll in cash cow.

I'm really surprised that people still buy these games. ::shrug:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I'm really surprised that people still buy these games. ::shrug:

I didn't pick it up but pretty much everyone on my PS4 friends list is playing it at the moment and a few on my Xbox friends list are as well. TBH, I don't blame. It's a fantastic co-op game (Pro Clubs is amazing) and if you are a football fan then you really have no other option if you want to play a footy game with all the licenses due to EA having a monopoly on the thing. It's the same as Star Wars fans having no option in recent years other than the Battlefront games.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I didn't pick it up but pretty much everyone on my PS4 friends list is playing it at the moment and a few on my Xbox friends list are as well. TBH, I don't blame. It's a fantastic co-op game (Pro Clubs is amazing) and if you are a football fan then you really have no other option if you want to play a footy game with all the licenses due to EA having a monopoly on the thing. It's the same as Star Wars fans having no option in recent years other than the Battlefront games.

Oh I get it, from the perspective of "If you like Football then it's the only Football game" but EA have had a monoploy for too long and the only way that I can see that's going to change is if people actually vote with their wallets, but if Fifa is one of the few games that people buy a year then I get that it's just not going to happen, still it seems like a lot of people who really like Fifa are being vocal about this one and at least complaining so... it's something I suppose.

It's just really rubbish how EA gets away with shipping games like this with stuff broken in them, in the case of the Switch version it's barely a new game at all, putting in all the microtransactions they can get away with and then laughing all the way to the bank.

At least a while back they had some competition I suppose in the form of Pro-Evo (if that was even competition really? I don't know) but it's just a total monopoly these days.

I guess it doesn't really concern me, seeing as I'm not the target audience for these games, I just find it sad is all as surely gamers who buy these titles should get a bit more for their money and not expect to have to shell out more on top? I know all the extra stuff is optional but I'd bet that a high percentate end up buying into the loot boxes etc.

• Like 1

Pro Evo was absolutely amazing during the PS2 era and dominated the FIFA franchise. Fast forward a generation, Konami struggled with HD development and EA secured the official licenses for time and all eternity, whilst also coming up with Ultimate Team. 

Pretty much everyone who I know who plays FIFA doesn't buy any packs in Ultimate Team with real money but you just have to look at the INSANE amount of money EA makes on that game mode alone to get an idea of the amount of people who do. I mean, people make videos of themselves on YouTube of just sitting there opening packs/loot boxes and these videos always get a massive amount of views.

Unless the governments intervene and change the laws, EA will continue to have free reign with this mode ( which most of the mainstream players buy it for ) and as such they have no need to put effort into other parts of the game.

Basically, if Ultimate Team falls then the game will be in a lot of trouble and EA will be in danger of actually having to make a working game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pro Evo was absolutely amazing during the PS2 era and dominated the FIFA franchise. Fast forward a generation, Konami struggled with HD development and EA secured the official licenses for time and all eternity, whilst also coming up with Ultimate Team. 
Pretty much everyone who I know who plays FIFA doesn't buy any packs in Ultimate Team with real money but you just have to look at the INSANE amount of money EA makes on that game mode alone to get an idea of the amount of people who do. I mean, people make videos of themselves on YouTube of just sitting there opening packs/loot boxes and these videos always get a massive amount of views.
Unless the governments intervene and change the laws, EA will continue to have free reign with this mode ( which most of the mainstream players buy it for ) and as such they have no need to put effort into other parts of the game.
Basically, if Ultimate Team falls then the game will be in a lot of trouble and EA will be in danger of actually having to make a working game.
Absolutely, it's money for old rope in EA's eyes so they won't drop UT unless forced by government.

UT is literally EA's biggest financial pillar; it's what is currently propping up all of their retail failures, like Anthem.

There's a good reason why EA is fighting tooth and nail against legislation.  They can't afford to lose UT, it would cripple them.

13 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Pro Evo was absolutely amazing during the PS2 era and dominated the FIFA franchise.

I miss those days :cry:

Everybody at school played Pro Evo and even though I didn't have a PS2 I certainly played more than enough to hold my own!

During the last generation, Pro Evo definitely struggled for a while and FIFA became much better than it had ever been to the point where it became a more than reasonable option for football fans.

It's been good to see that Pro Evo seems to be coming back into people's thoughts again and I hope a time comes where EA get put in their place and realise they can't keep being vile and succeeding.

I bought PES 2019 a few months ago and downloaded an option file that almost completely negates the lack of official licensing and I'm not turning back to FIFA now. It's nice to feel like I'm playing a proper football game again.. it's been too long!

Edited by nekunando
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I miss those days :cry:

Everybody at school played Pro Evo and even though I didn't have a PS2 I certainly played more than enough to hold my own!

During the last generation, Pro Evo definitely struggled for a while and FIFA became much better than it had ever been to the point where it became a more than reasonable option for football fans.

It's been good to see that Pro Evo seems to be coming back into people's thoughts again and I hope a time comes where EA get put in their place and realise they can't keep being vile and succeeding.

I bought PES 2019 a few months ago and downloaded an option file that almost completely negates the lack of official licensing and I'm not turning back to FIFA now. It's nice to feel like I'm playing a proper football game again.. it's been too long!

It's a shame there's no Switch version. That would have suited you perfectly.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

UT is literally EA's biggest financial pillar; it's what is currently propping up all of their retail failures, like Anthem.

There's a good reason why EA is fighting tooth and nail against legislation.  They can't afford to lose UT, it would cripple them.

I wonder what would happen if EA did go bankrupt. Ideally all the studios and IPs would go up for sale to decent buyers, but I suspect Activision would scoop up everything. 

• Thanks 1

It seems that in Europe at least, progress is being made against this kind of practice. It would be wise for EA to try and find a different way of making money before they hopefully run out of time on this.

Bit of a different take with this one as Jim looks at some AAA games that aren't complete insults to gaming.

Includes a "Big Fuck-Off Carmen Sandiago" Hat

• Haha 1

A neeeeew record... (though not one to celebrate) one single player of a terrible Transformers mobile game has spent $150,000 on microtransactions.

150K... that's just... obscene, I mean... there are no words. ::shrug:

So... Activision Blizzard are ironically a lot like a lot of stuff which is "Made in China"...

...nothing more than cheap crap. :rolleyes:

(and that's putting it mildly)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Blizzard surely have to cancel Blizzcon... surely they’re not stupid enough to actually allow it to go ahead at this point!?

28 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Blizzard surely have to cancel Blizzcon... surely they’re not stupid enough to actually allow it to go ahead at this point!?

I'm hoping it still goes ahead. I look forward to watching the riots and protests. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm hoping it still goes ahead. I look forward to watching the riots and protests. :D 

God I hope so.  The inevitable Jimquisition will be an absolute riot :D 

(assuming that nobody gets physically hurt... which is a very real possibility here...)

• Haha 1

Speaking of inevitable Jimquisitions, some US senators have written a letter urging Blizzard to reconsider their stance on that protestor they banned from competitive gaming events.

You know you eff'd up when you have US politicians from both Democrats and Republicans writing to you.

• Haha 2

I'm really hoping that we see less "Live Service" games next generation, just think, if Anthem had been allowed to stick to its original vision it could have turned out a lot better.

• Thanks 1

There's also a monthly subscription for $12.99!

Fallout 1st is a premium membership that enhances the Fallout 76 experience. Members receive access to Private Worlds, exclusive utility and cosmetic items, 1650 Atoms per month, plus other bonuses. Become a member and reclaim the wasteland today! Members receive:
• Private Worlds: Play in a Private World exclusively for you and up to seven friends.
• Scrapbox: Unlimited storage for crafting components in your own new Scrapbox container.
• Survival Tent: A new placeable fast travel point with a Stash, Sleeping Bag, and more for your basic needs.
• Atoms: Receive 1,650 Atoms per month to use in the Atomic Shop.
• Ranger Armor Outfit: An iconic Fallout outfit, exclusively for members.
• Icons & Emotes Pack: Unique icons and emotes, usable only by members.

Mini Jim in 3...2...1...

Edit: There it is!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

Sign in to follow this