NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Reggie Is Retiring

February 21, 2019 02:10 PM Eastern Standard Time

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--After more than 15 notable years at Nintendo of America, and nearly 13 as its President and COO, Reggie Fils-Aime will retire. His last day with Nintendo will be April 15. Doug Bowser, NOA’s current Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing, will then succeed Reggie as President of Nintendo of America.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190221005804/en/

End of an era. I can't say that I'm that gutted about it. I haven't liked his banter in years. 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

He came in to kick ass and take names...

Instead he told us online was the air that we gamers breathe and how Nintendo wanted to give us as much of that air as possible... then left us in a vacuum.

Not arsed by his retirement in the slightest!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Doug Bowser, NOA’s current Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing, will then succeed Reggie as President of Nintendo of America.

PositiveTenseEnglishpointer-size_restric

I'm kinda gonna miss him. He was the source of a lot of fun in Ninty Directs.

And I'll never forget his fight with Iwata.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's always sad to see someone go, and I've just realised that I think I've known who Reggie is for most of my life, despite only really getting into gaming in the last few years. 

Nintendo's E3 presence is certainly going to be different without him -- he always brought a smile to my face when he popped up, at least. Now he gets a well deserved break, and the refreshing of faces over at Nintendo continues.

2 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Oh what a shame. Said nobody.

I think it's a bit of a shame.

27 minutes ago, Kav said:

Instead he told us online was the air that we gamers breathe and how Nintendo wanted to give us as much of that air as possible... then left us in a vacuum.

I knew you'd be very upset over this news. :p 

• Haha 1

Noooo!!!! We can’t lose Reggie!! Who will be the smug face of NOA now!?

Legit gonna miss him.  Loved his sense of showmanship.  He was a great spokesperson.

Doug Bowser is a complete wet blanket.  No personality at all!

End of an era indeed :( 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is truly the darkest timeline. Enjoy retirement, my favourite meme generator. You don’t look a day over 40 😘

1 hour ago, Kav said:

Don't hold back, Kav. Tell us how you really feel. 

• Haha 3

Even though he's not really given us any useful information for the last four years, I'm still gonna miss the bastard. He's given me lots of laughs and I really enjoyed his personality. 

Ride on into the sunset, sweet prince. Ride on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to love him, but during the Wii U years he made an ass of himself.

Can't say I'll miss him.

I’ve just watched that lovely video NoA put up, read all the nice messages on twitter, talks of him being a marketing genius from insiders, fun memories of him being the face of Nintendo.

And then I come on here. :blank:

Loads of people will miss him, thankfully far outnumbering those who are “sick of him”. He’s obviously a great leader, a nice guy and he’s done a huge amount for Nintendo. Doesn’t deserve a shred of the abuse he’s getting on here. 

Edited by Ronnie
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

:D 

Can you stop pouring salt on the wound? :( 

Anyway, I'm pretty indifferent to Reggie's retirement. ::shrug:

I'm surprised by the hate here. Didn't really expect that.

I think he has a great personality and doesn't match with the usual president for a large company. He is there for the business, obviously, but he was also very good at directing his speeches to the fans, it was clear that he is a fan as well and that this has been his rightful place. 

It's exciting to see what changes Doug Bowser will make, if any. And as Reggie said, with that name it was meant to be that he got the keys to the Nintendo castle.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I'm surprised by the hate here. Didn't really expect that.

He's been disliked by a few of us on here for a very long time now. 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Loads of people will miss him, thankfully far outnumbering those who are “sick of him”. He’s obviously a great leader, a nice guy and he’s done a huge amount for Nintendo. Doesn’t deserve a shred of the abuse he’s getting on here. 

You think it's abuse just because people aren't going to miss him? What can I say? I wasn't keen on the guy and i'm not going to lie about it and say otherwise just to keep people happy. It's like when Mattrick left Microsoft. He had done a lot of good while he was there but it didn't stop me from disliking him and being thankful when he moved on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So much butthurt in this thread as if The Regginator personally wronged you. When in reality it was a business not doing what you wanted. Boo hoo.

I wish him well in retirement, he was awesome.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ramar said:

So much butthurt in this thread as if The Regginator personally wronged you. When in reality it was a business not doing what you wanted. Boo hoo.

Not really. I used to think Reggie was awesome but he went from that to just obnoxious. It had nothing to do with what Nintendo was putting out, especially as I liked him during the Wii era, an era which I absolutely hated.

The one part that stands out to me was the replies to questions with "Just play the game". I hated that.

This is a real shame; for a president to have such a personality and not be some faceless suit was priceless, in my opinion.

And he probably saved many employees getting trolled or whatnot by saying the things Nintendo needed him to himself, and not passing it off. He stood up and was counted, even when he probably knew what he was saying was utter bull shit.

He was the corporate champ, but secretly the people's champ and he'll probably be glad he doesn't have to get flack from some quarters for simply doing his job.

I hope Bowser embraces the fun, enjoyment, and stupid behaviour that Reggie did, getting involved in videos, e3 and the like...but with him and the new President (can't remember his name for the life of me, want to say Shuntaro) I fear the days of the legendary 'Triforce' picture from e3 (Reggie, Iwata and Miyamoto) and things like that will be long gone.

Happy retirement Reggie! (Until you turn up at Microsoft in a year...)

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ramar said:

Don't get me wrong, he was very good at his job and was the master of talking a lot but without saying anything ( as PR people tend to do ) but there are ways and means about doing that job without coming off as arrogant or just flat out lying. I think both Phil Spencer and Iwata are to good examples of this. Both able to convey the message they are selling in a way that seems sincere.

I think the issue here is people seem upset with those who didn't care for Reggie. I mean, those of us who don't really care for him haven't really spoke up and complained about those who did like him. It doesn't bother me in the slightest if people enjoyed his output but for some reason this isn't the case when the situation is flipped. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I hope Bowser embraces the fun, enjoyment, and stupid behaviour that Reggie did, getting involved in videos, e3 and the like...but with him and the new President (can't remember his name for the life of me, want to say Shuntaro) I fear the days of the legendary 'Triforce' picture from e3 (Reggie, Iwata and Miyamoto) and things like that will be long gone.

That's already started to happen. If you take a look at the Directs when Iwata was in charge and compare them to what we have now you can see a big change in the way they are handled. I doubt we will ever get gems like these again.

Image result for iwata banana

Image result for luigis mansion direct iwata

:( 

• Sad 2

Sign in to follow this