NEurope
demonmike04

What if the worst happens?

In the unlikely event of Nintendo leaving the games industry's corpse to fester further they would never just do software. Like it has been said, they would rather die than make games for the competition. I almost see Nintendo as an ageing but powerful samurai holding to the old teachings.

heres a post from a Nintendo PR that sums up why they will be in business for a long time to come. Though some of it is hard to digest (shorter games, '- Deliver bare acceptable minimum to minimize cost, as with no HD') everything makes sense from a business perspective, though they do have to sacrifice customer demand sometimes.

Its a shame we cant have it all but Nintendo doesnt have the market alone like they did in the NES era

http://www.dsgaming.co.uk/html/modules/news/article.php?storyid=845

Considering rev a failure if it doesnt outsell GC, does not neccesarily make either machine a failure.

This whole thread is based on the misperception that marketshare is equal to profits. Its not! there were 2 failures this gen, the dreamcast and the xbox, nintendo's comments merely show they are not satisfied with GCs performance not that it was a failure. That comes mostly from they would have stood to make a more money had the GC performed better, as it was/is their most profitable machine

Your post is based on the misperception that profit equals succes. It doesn't.

GC wasn't nearly as succesful as Nintendo wanted it to be, therefore it's a failure.

It doesn't matter Xbox didn't make Microsoft any money: they achieved what they set out to do (gain a foothold in the market), therefore it was a succes. It's as simple as that.

It wont fail, not at that price.. it can't fail.

Nintendo will make a profit.. and co-exist with their developpers and consumers on a marginal market.

Apple got by on a meager 3% catering for the high class of computing consumers.. then the iPod changed it all.. they realised they could offer people cheaper computers like the mini and the shuffle.

Nintendo can survive.. Can someone fill me in on the entire Sega story? with a link.. because I really don't know where they went wrong.

Nintendo wont be gone in our generation.. I find that so so hard to believe.

It wont fail, not at that price.. it can't fail.

Nintendo will make a profit.. and co-exist with their developpers and consumers on a marginal market.

Apple got by on a meager 3% catering for the high class of computing consumers.. then the iPod changed it all.. they realised they could offer people cheaper computers like the mini and the shuffle.

Nintendo can survive.. Can someone fill me in on the entire Sega story? with a link.. because I really don't know where they went wrong.

Nintendo wont be gone in our generation.. I find that so so hard to believe.

Plenty of sites on google can fill you in, but basicly they made a loss on dreamcast and saturn. Thats all i know, I should know more for i was a true sega fanatic as a kid...

Sega's biggest problem was marketing/PR. They came on stage at E3 and they announced "the Sega Saturn will be on sale in shops tomorrow" now as big as that surprise was not many people knew of its released (except for the hardcore gamers) and they failed lol

I don't know the full story but I think that was basically it.

Think Resident Evil 4: Exclusive for GC, the one guy would cut his head off, but things turned out differently.

But he quit his job after finishing the GC version.

I think Nintendo is at an advantage with the fanboys that makes them almost failure-proof. We fanboys want innovation, lots of innovation and great new gaming concepts all the time and only Nintendo is delivering that. Sure old fanboys are dropping out but new fanboys join - three years ago I wasn't really content with my GC, now I consider myself a fanboy.

The other advantage is that Nintendo has a family friendly image so parents get it for their kids.

But if they actually failed I'm not sure if they wouldn't go 3rd party but I think they're too proud. However, it's always easy to tell you won't go 3rd party and things like this if you aren't in the situation.

Your post is based on the misperception that profit equals succes. It doesn't.

GC wasn't nearly as succesful as Nintendo wanted it to be, therefore it's a failure.

It doesn't matter Xbox didn't make Microsoft any money: they achieved what they set out to do (gain a foothold in the market), therefore it was a succes. It's as simple as that.

Profit doesnt equal success??? Even microsoft wont agree with you there as they have spoken plenty of times about becoming profitable this generation.

In a way your right GC wasnt as successful as nintendo had nintendo had intended it to be, so they and only they can call it a failure, yet even that is impressive, how many companies can sell 19 million units of their most profitable product and still have grounds to call it a failure?? This is a serious question id really like to know the answer to.

But in the grand scheme of things do you think microsoft would hesitate to swap positions with nintendo, in terms of sales vs profit?? Do you think they believe the extra 4 million worldwide truly justified a $4 billion loss?? Sure they have the market perception but if that was all they were after, and was the true measure of success, they wouldnt be working so hard to try and become profitable

But i have to ask if profit doesnt equal success what does???

Profit doesnt equal success??? Even microsoft wont agree with you there as they have spoken plenty of times about becoming profitable this generation.

In a way your right GC wasnt as successful as nintendo had nintendo had intended it to be, so they and only they can call it a failure, yet even that is impressive, how many companies can sell 19 million units of their most profitable product and still have grounds to call it a failure?? This is a serious question id really like to know the answer to.

But in the grand scheme of things do you think microsoft would hesitate to swap positions with nintendo, in terms of sales vs profit?? Do you think they believe the extra 4 million worldwide truly justified a $4 billion loss?? Sure they have the market perception but if that was all they were after, and was the true measure of success, they wouldnt be working so hard to try and become profitable

But i have to ask if profit doesnt equal success what does???

Market share. Not just 4 million, but the way PS2 outsold Gamecube and Xbox.

Nintendo make huge profits and many people forget that. Nintendo are in a prime position. No doubt Nintendo will make a small profit on each Revolution sold (much like they have on Gamecube). Sony, Microsoft are going to see their profits squeezed this generation; again MS are loosing hundreds on each XBox360 sold and Sony will be loosing even more per PS3 sold. That means to break even they've got a higher games:hardware ratio to acheive - and is that really possible when games prices have jumped up to £50?!

It may be possible that Nintendo come third place next generation; however I can see them making far more cash than Microsoft and Sony throughout this generation.

Market share. Not just 4 million, but the way PS2 outsold Gamecube and Xbox.

Just out of interest can you name one successful company that has survived purely on marketshare, while selling all their products and services at a loss??

The reason microsoft and sony tout their marketshare is purely because to the average person it implies they are earning a while lot more money than nintendo. Its the same as saying we've shipped 90 million the average person assumes it to mean they have sold 90 million.

Sadly its not just the average person as publishers fall for that rubbish too, but i wont go into that

Just out of interest can you name one successful company that has survived purely on marketshare, while selling all their products and services at a loss??

The reason microsoft and sony tout their marketshare is purely because to the average person it implies they are earning a while lot more money than nintendo. Its the same as saying we've shipped 90 million the average person assumes it to mean they have sold 90 million.

Sadly its not just the average person as publishers fall for that rubbish too, but i wont go into that

I'm saying Sony may have made less profit then Nintendo but is still happy because of its market share. Same thing with PS3. They throw lots of money at full HD (1080p), blue ray and best graphics just to become market leader. If PS3 wins the next war but Nintendo made more profit, Sony won't give a damn.

I'm saying Sony may have made less profit then Nintendo but is still happy because of its market share. Same thing with PS3. They throw lots of money at full HD (1080p), blue ray and best graphics just to become market leader. If PS3 wins the next war but Nintendo made more profit, Sony won't give a damn.

this generation (or rather next, however u want)

sony are counting on selling a shit load of ps3s. if that happens, they will lose money, however they are counting on blue ray to sell with the ps3s. this makes blue ray dominant over dvd and theoritcally make people buy blue ray players that sony are firmly behind. also the sale in hdtvs are something they are counting on which they are also competing with the likes of LG (pioneers in hdtv and the first one to come up with it may i add) and samsung to say the least. sony are in the same position as microsoft in the sense they are fighting a lot of different companies. this is where nintendo have control over. they only deal with games and games alone. that makes sony and microsoft the only competition. microsoft have apple, sony, nintendo and a few others.

sony have almost every electrical company there is. and the video games sector is their main domain in terms of sales tbh.

apple are dominating the music market.

samsung and lg are dominating TVs

sony arent dominating the dvd sector. how many own a dvd player made by sony? (not the ps2)

they recently stopped production on their robots, aibo and the dog one (or are they the same thing?)

cut jobs down

sony aint having a great time at the moment.

Nintendo's consoles are more profitable than Sony or Microsofts, they may sell less but per individual console they make more money as the Gamecube is cheaper to produce - It may not have sold as well as Xbox/PS2 but the gamecube was still a profitable, and reasonably succesful console - Nintendo can afford the revolution to be a flop of Virtual Boy proportions without it forcing them to do a Sega, but it might be advisable - I certainly think if it happened Nintendo should go software only, and build a reputation on machines where the casual gamers are - Ratchet and Clank/Crash Bandicoot/Kameo/Jak and Daxter all did well, sonic has done well multiplatform and Mario/Zelda would do as well. Then after that return to the console market - I don't think the revolution will be a flop though, as long as they market it right it could be everyones second system.

I can't see the Revolution not making at least the level of the Cube, but if they fail it could be over soon. My guess would be some between gen console in 2009 (like the Dreamcast) that might save them. I'd expect them to do better than Sega at it. It'll be a major blow though, but I don't expect it to fail - I'd be very surprised and dissappointed.

on a side note: do some people actually read all of the other posts? Because alot of people seem to be repeating what others say in an earlier post. A little thing i know, but it bugs me.

To be honest, if Ninty don't make it bigger this generation then I think it's just a witing game for two reasons. Firstly, Ninty have cash (=time) on their side, making them the healthiest of the big 3 (sorry Gizmondo :( ). It will be a matter of time before games stops being a point of venture for MS or Sony as they won't be able to afford the investment.

But on a more realistic note, games are stagnating. I for one look at a lot of the games industry games line up and give a big yaaawwn. Things haven't really changed since the N64 rea all that much. If the consumer market doesn't start to feel that this coming gen then it is a matter of time til it does.

It all reminds me a bit of the film industry in the 80s.... Go Arnie and Sly! (not)

To be honest, if Ninty don't make it bigger this generation then I think it's just a witing game for two reasons. Firstly, Ninty have cash (=time) on their side, making them the healthiest of the big 3 (sorry Gizmondo :( ). It will be a matter of time before games stops being a point of venture for MS or Sony as they won't be able to afford the investment.

Even though Nintendo is pretty big (let's not exaggerate about that) they aren't close to the size of Microsoft or Sony. Nintendo has the smallest stamina of the big three and that's why I think DiemetriX made this thread. If there wasn't some reason that making consoles is a good thing for Sony and Microsoft they would've stopped with it already, but apparently Microsoft is willing to make ridiculous losses (rumoured to be $300+ on a Premium 360) to compete in the market. Nintendo couldn't compete like that, and therefore, if one was to step out of the market it would be Nintendo.

The chance that any company steps out is very, very small though.

im sure its already been said but yeah it will take more than the failure of Rev to take Nintendo out of the console market. Also as others (trisha) have pointed out, Nintendo earns money on the side from non-videogame investments. Basically, theyre covered for a long time to come. And their fan-base isnt gonna suddenly disappear either

too right. nintendo is held back by its tv machine hardware side. ninty really wants to keep it because it remembers the days it controlled the market and everyone had to do what they wanted so as to get access to their platform.

the cost of chasing the return of that dream has been huge. however. if the hardware doesnt come off and it only eats into its savings, it is still the best software house by far, and if it was honest they know they could have sold 5x the number of games if they had been on the playstation2. so let nintendo gamble a bit. if it fails, they can be sure that who ever is left making the hardware will be calling on nintendo with buckets of cash to secure their machine nintendos games.

people actualy pay £49.99 for games thats like $118(aud). i hope revolution games come with a more respectable price.

a world without nintendo is like a world without water to me because they are the only people who care for our gaming needs and give us what we want!!! but it will be a long long time before The big old N goes out of buisness..... lets celebrate!