NEurope
demonmike04

What if the worst happens?

I dont think many people have realised how serious this gen is for Nintendo, it could break them and force them out of the console market.

So, although incredibly doubtful it is, what if Revolution were to fail, what would you think Nintendo's path would be?

Would you think:

Try another console the generation after?

Head out of the console market, focus on handheld?

Head out of the console market, focus on handheld and software for other consoles?

Head out of console and handhled market and make software for other consoles?

Remember to give a reason why. My personal opinion is that Nintendo will black out of the console market and continue to dominate the handheld market, because that seems to be were they are getting most revenue from now. They could still stick around in the console market if revolution fails, but what would be the point if they dont make as much profit?

they will make profit. they will make consoles. i dont see how it could fail. cube has poor sales because your having to choose between 3 different bananas. next gen, u have 2 big bananas and a mango

I dont think many people have realised how serious this gen is for Nintendo, it could break them and force them out of the console market.

That is not correct. Nintendo Can afford attleast 3 Poor selling Consoles beffore they "break". And Nintendo earned alot of money on cube. And if they fail (it wont happen) They will just make what the market wants next gen.

I don't think many people realised that this gen isn't make or break for Nintendo. They have bucketloads of money, their "faliure" GC was the console that turned more profit and DS is being a huge success. Even if Revo sells worse than GC, it won't be Nintendo's last.

The gamecube isnt popular but it is making a profit,so it wont be the last and the DS is doing extremely well so nothing will happen

Didn't Iwata-san declare somewhere that the day Nintendo stops making hardware is the day the company shuts down. But honestly if this situation did happen, hypothetically, I don't really know.

Nintendo are failry unpredictable in that sense but it would be wise to shrink back to handheld hardware/software and console software. If they stopped making software for the console market then I think that the games industry would seriously change... bit scary that idea.

Yea,especially with the price and blu-ray,but PS3 will have games like DMC and MGS to boost sales a bit,but by how much is a mystery

Ah, i guess I have been pretty wrong about the breaking Nintendo thing. And dabookerman, good thinking. I totally forgot about the debt sony are in, sony havent had a good year, im just saying minor things here but playstation has been causing a bit of trouble. Last year, Sony were sued 91 million dollars over the controller i think it was, and now the american government are fining them for their PSP grafiti.

Ok lets kinda stick to the topic but think more to the future, what if Nintendo dropped out of the console market?

they will make profit. they will make consoles. i dont see how it could fail. cube has poor sales because your having to choose between 3 different bananas. next gen, u have 2 big bananas and a mango

lol that is the best thing ive heard in along time, well said!

People are saying the GC is N's equivelant to Segas Saturn, and Rev is the equivelant to the Dreamcast.

That's a load of bull, if you ask me! The GC sold. like 20 miljon copies, while the Saturn only did 9.

The Dreamcast sold 8 milion. Nintendo's consoles haven't sold as badly as any of Segas. We allso must remember that Segas only real successive console was the MegaDrive, while Nintendo have had two consoles that were the best selling of their generations, and untill only a year ago, nearly complete monopoly on the handheld market...

But in case the worst would happen, I think they'd focus on handhelds, and keep focusing on that untill they get whupped there too... After all, Nintendo stated that "when we go out of the console buisness, we get out of the games buisness too"...

People are saying the GC is N's equivelant to Segas Saturn, and Rev is the equivelant to the Dreamcast.

That's a load of bull, if you ask me! The GC sold. like 20 miljon copies, while the Saturn only did 9.

The Dreamcast sold 8 milion. Nintendo's consoles haven't sold as badly as any of Segas. We allso must remember that Segas only real successive console was the MegaDrive, while Nintendo have had two consoles that were the best selling of their generations, and untill only a year ago, nearly complete monopoly on the handheld market...

But in case the worst would happen, I think they'd focus on handhelds, and keep focusing on that untill they get whupped there too... After all, Nintendo stated that "when we go out of the console buisness, we get out of the games buisness too"...

People are actually comparing revolution to dreamcast? 1up have pretty much proven 360 has the most in common with it.

if they aren't the most popular in the next gen then it won't really matter, they still make plenty of prophit and they'll bring another home console into the next-next gen. After all, the GC wasnt the most popular, but they're still bringing out the revo aren't they.

Why did sony get sued for the controller, and what was this psp graffitti?

All nintendi-lovers will buy that thing! And that´s enough to not to fail, i think.

It´s a cool idea, most xbox/PS people credit this, and some are talking bullshit...but I think it´s the minority.

It´s about the dualshock-technologie. It uses tech equal to anothers american comany´s invented tech...

To answer your question, if Nintendo did one day do so badly then they will stop everything altogether. They won't dishonour themselves in the sense of developing for other companies and even though they are dominant in the handheld sector they won't continue in that market if their home market is destroyed (vice-versa).

And, when I think about it, I honestly can't imagine the games industry without Nintendo. What will happen to the industry? Will we have another industry meltdown? Will things become too expensive for everyone that it will just implode on itself? Or will Sony/Microsoft see some sense in Nintendo's actions? will they honour Nintendo by listening to old philosophies? Who knows.

To answer your question, if Nintendo did one day do so badly then they will stop everything altogether. They won't dishonour themselves in the sense of developing for other companies and even though they are dominant in the handheld sector they won't continue in that market if their home market is destroyed (vice-versa).

And, when I think about it, I honestly can't imagine the games industry without Nintendo. What will happen to the industry? Will we have another industry meltdown? Will things become too expensive for everyone that it will just implode on itself? Or will Sony/Microsoft see some sense in Nintendo's actions? will they honour Nintendo by listening to old philosophies? Who knows.

I cant imagine the gaming industry without nintendo, but the last few generations have been going downhill for nintendo, sure they still make a profit, but they arent as big.

Lol, you shouldn't always believe the propaganda that's coming out of Nintendo hq.

Nintendo is just a business, that means if some part of Nintendo doesn't turn in enough profit they'll just shut that particulary money drain down and go on further.

According to Ninty themselfs the Rev will be considered to be a failure if it doesn't sell any better than GC. By that logic Ninty won't be making consoles if the Rev flops (it may very well happen). That doesn't mean they go out of business altogether though, they'll just cut their losses and focus on the handheld market, which is basickely what they're doing already.

For their future in the market, it doesn't really matter if Rev turns in a profit or not. It's more important for Nintendo to expand their user base and the market as a whole.

When Rare started kina going down the drain their amazing development teams went to Free Radical, and they're making the amazing Timesplitters. Surely if Nintendo split all the people who Miyamoto is teaching will go to other developers and make amazing games.

If the Rev fails, we'll have a really cool piece of hardware, some really kick ass launch games and a console we can play our old NES, SNES, N64 and Cube games on. I'll be happy enough.

Everything I thought of saying has already been covered...

PS: Listen to Dabookerman :bowdown:

im sure its already been said but yeah it will take more than the failure of Rev to take Nintendo out of the console market. Also as others (trisha) have pointed out, Nintendo earns money on the side from non-videogame investments. Basically, theyre covered for a long time to come. And their fan-base isnt gonna suddenly disappear either

According to Ninty themselfs the Rev will be considered to be a failure if it doesn't sell any better than GC. By that logic Ninty won't be making consoles if the Rev flops (it may very well happen). That doesn't mean they go out of business altogether though, they'll just cut their losses and focus on the handheld market, which is basickely what they're doing already.

For their future in the market, it doesn't really matter if Rev turns in a profit or not. It's more important for Nintendo to expand their user base and the market as a whole.

Considering rev a failure if it doesnt outsell GC, does not neccesarily make either machine a failure.

This whole thread is based on the misperception that marketshare is equal to profits. Its not! there were 2 failures this gen, the dreamcast and the xbox, nintendo's comments merely show they are not satisfied with GCs performance not that it was a failure. That comes mostly from they would have stood to make a more money had the GC performed better, as it was/is their most profitable machine

if things WERE to go all shit. i think the yamauchi, since it is their company after all, would more likely go and try some next things other then games. they have done it with love hotels and toys etc etc.

however. the amount of fans that nintendo have, they will make a profit regardless. ther goal is to sell to people who dont buy games, and thats a huge percentage. the saying goes that mostly boys play games. if girls dont play. but nintendo appealed to them. all of them. thats 50% of the potential market. thats massive

I remember Nintendo saying if they head out of the console market then that head out of everything. Nintendo is not Sega :P

I asked my professor a few weeks ago about this subject...he told me there are a few companies in this world which are called the "big silent ones" (direct translation), their buissnes is not bound on expanding, and nintendo is one of them. Anotherone is the Phillip Morris company for example... in normal you can see that even their internal structure of dependencies, loyalitys and power is a type of "old school". In addition they hold most of their shares by themselve...