NEurope
Julius

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening REMAKE — 20th September 2019

Yeah!

Originally released for the Game Boy™ system more than 25 years ago, one of the most beloved games in the Legend of Zelda series returns. In this modern re-imagining, players once again return to the mysterious island of Koholint to guide Link on a perilous adventure. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening arrives exclusively on Nintendo Switch in 2019.

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ike said:

Zelda has gone anime.

Not going to lie, the anime bubbles and the storm immediately took my head to the first Pokémon movie!

I had a similar Pokémon thought there too. Then I saw the ship and I knew it was Links Awakening. This was my first ever Zelda game and I, personally loved the style. This is a day one purchase for me and I can’t wait. 

• Like 1

You just know this is gonna get a lot of flak for the art style they've used. It's gonna be Wind Waker all over again.

Wow!  Looks like I missed a good Direct.

I used to be a pixel art purist, but I've played too many great games - A Link Between Worlds, Metroid: Samus Returns - that have proved me wrong.  I think this is going to be brilliant.

• Thanks 1

I think the art style gives it a sort of surreal, almost dream like, feel.

I used to just sit on the screen and listen to Marin sing, can't wait to hear an updated version.

The look reminds me of 3D Dot Game Heroes mixed with ALBW.  Looks brill!

I love how blatant the Goombas look now lol.  They're not even trying to hide it anymore! (Looking forward to seeing the blatant Kirby model rip :laughing:)

I'm guessing that it has the anime scenes because the original game had those iconic cutaways and they want to preserve the flavour of them.

Music is so blatantly done by the same guy who did ALBW and Nintendo Land that it hurts as well.  I love how utterly adorable it all is! :D 

It looks so amazing! This'll wash out the bad taste of BOTW very nicely! GIMME IT NOW!! 

Edited by Dcubed

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You just know this is gonna get a lot of flak for the art style they've used.

Rightly so. It doesn't fit the atmosphere of the original at all. 

To each their own but I really hate the art style. :( And I was actually really looking forward to a remake of the absolute best Zelda game there is.

Watching the EZA reactions, Damiani brought up a Japanese advert for the original Link's Awakening that used marionettes and the art style of the new game seems remarkably similar so it seems like despite my initial concerns over the style it seems like it's consistent with what the original team intended.

I was hyped when I saw the anime-style intro. But frankly, I find the in-game visuals to be really off-putting. It looks plasticky and cheap.

Seems like a good way to experience a good old game.

23 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Watching the EZA reactions, Damiani brought up a Japanese advert for the original Link's Awakening that used marionettes and the art style of the new game seems remarkably similar so it seems like despite my initial concerns over the style it seems like it's consistent with what the original team intended.

To lazily reuse my post from the ND thread...

m8hIHir.png 2261029-ladx-bow-wow.jpg

DzUc1XuXQAIK3eh.jpg

Couldn't really ask for anything more faithful in HD 3D really! The original game was always cutesy looking, that was part of its charm!

Hell they've even preserved the flavour of the cutaway stills with the anime FMV!

Yeah, the art style is actually very faithful to the original GB/C game!

It's even on model with the GB Printer pictures!

cutscenes.png

Wonder what we'll get in their place this time...

Edited by Dcubed

I saw this and thought...why? I mean you could basically play the original and have the same experience. Sorry to poo poo this, but I just don’t really get it. This feels different to when they remaster a 3D game in all its grandeur, or even a 2D game into 3D...it’s basically just substituting one art style for another. And I much prefer the look of the original!

15 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I saw this and thought...why? I mean you could basically play the original and have the same experience. Sorry to poo poo this, but I just don’t really get it. This feels different to when they remaster a 3D game in all its grandeur...it’s basically just substituting one art style for another.

Easier accessabilty? It's not locked the Gameboy or 3DS VC anymore. 

People were asking for this. ::shrug: Plus they can charge more. :heh:

31 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

cutscenes.png

I wish I hadn't seen that...this is horrible :( 

It's probably the nostalgia and my experience with the game as a child but for me Link's Awakening always was and will always be surreal and gritty. This cuddly, cutesy look of the remake (and of the pictures above) just isn't for me.

I agree now, though, that the art style is very faithful to what the devs intended, but in my opinion it doesn't fit the game. Hell, the style of the pictures above doesn't make any sense to me :laughing: It's not what little-me was imagining back in the days.

Edited by drahkon

DzUc1XuXQAIK3eh.jpg

Ive just realised what this image reminds me of. It’s the photographic effect called tilt shift. The top and bottom are blurred to give the middle a model like look. And I can totally see that as a dream like view too. 

Edited by BowserBasher
  • Like 1

Initially I was excited, but the gameplay footage itself has put me right off. Do not like that art style one bit. Shame.

39 minutes ago, drahkon said:

It's probably the nostalgia and my experience with the game as a child but for me Link's Awakening always was and will always be surreal and gritty. This cuddly, cutesy look of the remake (and of the pictures above) just isn't for me.

I agree now, though, that the art style is very faithful to what the devs intended, but in my opinion it doesn't fit the game. Hell, the style of the pictures above doesn't make any sense to me :laughing: It's not what little-me was imagining back in the days.

Yeah, your memory of the game is very warped lol!

It's a child's dream.  Link dreams of cute animal villages, Goombas and Kirbies.  And an island with a big pink egg on top of it, with a rainbow whale that explodes out of it when you play it a magical orchestral lullaby.

The latter half of the game is where this child's dream takes a dark turn, but it was always a cutesy, child-like dream world! The art style has always reflected that, even on the original GB!

That being said... You can attack the dogs and even set them on fire!

017c.png

That ought to ensure a PEGI 18 rating!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Biggest "disappointment" of this Direct (overall I thought it was great).

I have no real desire for a remake of this game. I can play the original, and that would be my preference, even though this remake is not without its merit.

Initial reaction to the artstyle wasn't great. I thought it looked horrible. But it was quickly growing on me. Without context, I can say I like it a lot. Problem is that I don't think it really matches with the game's atmosphere. Or the feel I got from the original game. Don't know how to explain this. This is subjective, what isn't subjective however, is that the artstyle doesn't match the artstyle in the cutscenes at all. That said, it's probably something I'll get over it, like I said, I actually do like it out of context.

Again, the problem is I don't see the need for this. This would have been an AWESOME announcement, if the game was completely new. I may get it, but it's not high priority.

The art style is beautiful. I actually thought some of the shots in particular looked stunning. The style kind of reminds me of that Xbox indie coming soon: Tunic.

But I just can't get that excited for another remake, eEspecially with all the ports heading onto Switch as is, even as a huge Zelda fan. Link Between Worlds gave us an overworld we'd already seen before and now this. Come on guys, give us something new. To go from expecting a brand new adventure to... a game I've already played with a flashy new art style is pretty gutting. I really hope they add to the game, but I suspect they'll barely do anything new. Real shame.

Looks great though.

I’m mixed about it. On the one hand they’re revisiting one of the best games in the series, bringing it to many people who won’t have played the original.  On the other hand I’ve played through Link’s Awakening DX so many times in the past that, for me, a straight remake doesn’t excite me as much as a brand new Zelda would.

I’m ok with the art style choice.  It does give the game a more ‘cute’ look, but it also looked clean and bright, giving a chance to show off the character of the other characters in the game.

I’m not sure I’ll be willing to pay full price it mind.

7 hours ago, drahkon said:

The images above are from the DX version actually. LA was my first Zelda game and I loved it (even though at the time I didn't realise it was part of a bigger series).

I got excited when I saw the intro to this remake... And then instantly lost my excitement when the graphics were shown. It looks a bit too polished and plasticy to me and loses the charm of the original. It'll be great for people who never got to play the original though.

6 hours ago, Dcubed said:

It's a child's dream.  Link dreams of cute animal villages, Goombas and Kirbies.  And an island with a big pink egg on top of it, with a rainbow whale that explodes out of it when you play it a magical orchestral lullaby.

Spoiler

You cheeky sod! You know full well it's the Wind Fish that's dreaming. Link's just caught up in it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Yeah, your memory of the game is very warped lol!

Just seen some gameplay videos and I stand by what I said. It's gritty and surreal to me ::shrug:  But we can stop now. It's just a matter of taste/opinion. 

1 hour ago, Eenuh said:

The images above are from the DX version actually.

I see, no wonder why I've never seen those before. I only own the "real" original game :D 

• Like 1