NEurope
Julius

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening REMAKE — 20th September 2019

11 hours ago, Fused King said:

I'm wondering what the people of Nyurp think of the price tag of this bad boy.

Is it really worth 50 euros?

I'm getting it for my birthday so not paying top euro for it, but initially I wanted to wait until it dropped to 30 or so.

Though I'm a sucker for all things Zelda, financially I just couldn't justify this purchase.

It depends. If you've played through the game before then the price point is too high. There's not much new to see and you'll breeze through the game. However, if it's your first time playing the game then just treat it as a new release/new Zelda and from this point of view I think it's worth it.

As for waiting for a price drop, it's a Nintendo game and these very rarely receive heavy discounts, especially if they are successful, which this has been.

This has sold 3.13 million units since its release. That's actually rather Impressive, I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

This has sold 3.13 million units since its release. That's actually rather Impressive, I think.

Indeed it is. 

I'm really looking forward to see what kind of effect the Switch has on Metroid sales when it finally arrives. The series has never really been a big seller but the Switch seems to boosting sales of a lot of 1st party games.

Just completed my 0 death run. Have to say getting the Blue tunic and having the double life thing really make it a lot easier. 

• Like 1

Eagle’s Tower puts Breath of the Wild to shame. What an amazing dungeon. I don’t remember it being that hard in the 90s 😅

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

Eagle’s Tower puts Breath of the Wild to shame. What an amazing dungeon. I don’t remember it being that hard in the 90s 😅

Strange. I found it the other way round. I could never finish it in the original without a guide, but this time round, even though I didn’t really recall the route to take in the dungeon, I was able to complete it with no guide. 

16 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Strange. I found it the other way round. I could never finish it in the original without a guide, but this time round, even though I didn’t really recall the route to take in the dungeon, I was able to complete it with no guide. 

I think it took me just over an hour, with a lot of going back and forth. I really enjoyed it though, I'd forgotten everything about the layout so it felt like I was going through it fresh. It's a testament to the excellent design that it managed to provide a distinct challenge, even to a seasoned Zelda player, something I haven't really experienced in this game so far. 

Spoiler

I haven't had many problems with the difficulty in this game, but it is incredibly obtuse at times. I got stuck after the 3rd... or maybe 4th dungeon, I think. I had looked all over the map two or three times and had no idea where to go next. Ulrira had told me to go to the Desert. CAN'T GET THERE MATE. CAN'T SWIM. I'd spoken to everyone at least twice to try and get rid of the goddamn honey trade item. So when I found out that there was a set of hidden stairs under grass to cross over the water to the Animal Village, I was a little annoyed and didn't feel bad about looking up how to progress online. Stuff like that is a bit of a relic, but overall I'm really enjoying everything about this game. Except the framerate, of course.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

I think it took me just over an hour, with a lot of going back and forth. I really enjoyed it though, I'd forgotten everything about the layout so it felt like I was going through it fresh. It's a testament to the excellent design that it managed to provide a distinct challenge, even to a seasoned Zelda player, something I haven't really experienced in this game so far. 

Progression problems (Hide contents)

I haven't had many problems with the difficulty in this game, but it is incredibly obtuse at times. I got stuck after the 3rd... or maybe 4th dungeon, I think. I had looked all over the map two or three times and had no idea where to go next. Ulrira had told me to go to the Desert. CAN'T GET THERE MATE. CAN'T SWIM. I'd spoken to everyone at least twice to try and get rid of the goddamn honey trade item. So when I found out that there was a set of hidden stairs under grass to cross over the water to the Animal Village, I was a little annoyed and didn't feel bad about looking up how to progress online. Stuff like that is a bit of a relic, but overall I'm really enjoying everything about this game. Except the framerate, of course.

On your progression part and what got you stuck. I would probably have missed that too for a while but got lucky. 

• Like 1
  • Weird 1

Got to say I’m really not enjoying this game as much I’d hoped. I know it’s a remake and all, but some of the puzzles are pretty poor, the swap quest especially, and considering it’s an integral part of progressing in the game, it’s pretty poor. I’ve spent most of my time just aimlessly wandering around with an item, with no clue as to where to take it. And if I’ve missed, or forgotten about a certain character that needs it, I’m doomed to just meander about, which was fine 25 years ago, but game design has progressed so much since then. Yes, I did have this game back in the day, but I’ve forgotten pretty much everything about it. 

What really tore it though was I’ve just spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to beat a mini-boss (the Stalfos in Catfish Maw) only to find that I need bombs which the room I’m in has no way to acquire and I’ve run out. So now I have to reset the game in order to yet again, aimlessly wander around to try and farm. It’s stuff like this that should’ve been addressed in a full remake. Nostalgia is not good enough in this case. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Played a couple of hours of this when I was travelling last month. Struggled to get into it, will try and pick it up over Christmas again.

• Sad 1

Yeah, the game seems to be causing quite a stir. I mean, at what point does it go from inspired by to just a straight up ripoff?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, the game seems to be causing quite a stir. I mean, at what point does it go from inspired by to just a straight up ripoff?

Is that so? First I've noticed it or I'd have been keeping an eye on it. The point it went from inspired by to being a straight-up ripoff has long since passed. Did they have their blinkers on so much that they didn't realise??

26 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It always confuses me when indie developers make moves like this, because I feel like they're risking long-term gain and success for a very short-term, flash-in-the-pan moment in the spotlight?

Like awesome, your game looks almost exactly like the remake of a critically acclaimed game which is nearly 30 years old now -- by arguably the strongest first party developer in the history of the industry, and taking heavy "influence" from a series with one of their most dedicated and larger fanbases. Now you've shot yourself in the foot because when people play this they'll only be comparing your game to Link's Awakening? Looking at this I feel the same way I do when I look at pretty much every Soulslike ::shrug:

I'm all for drawing influence and inspiration - it's standard for any creative medium - and to be fair to them, they have a few interesting ideas (I like the idea of the little ball puzzle they have, reminds me of Screwball Scramble), but making a 2D Zelda-like which looks exactly like a Zelda game? I feel like it's about as surefire a way you can get to come out with a bang and then quickly vanish off the face of the earth. People have been screaming out for Earthbound or Pokémon in this style, so how about a JRPG? Or a farming simulator, that'd look great in this style? Or, if you're hell-bent on going with making a Zelda-like which looks like an actual Zelda game, how about you set the entire thing in a Dark World-looking setting, or something cyberpunk, so that even if the geometry and general look is the same, it at least looks somewhat different?

You know...to stand out and so that you give yourself the best chance at success, and don't so directly ape off a massive game like the Link's Awakening remake? 

tony-stark-civil-war.gif

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, how shameless can you get. 

Hopefully with the prize money they can hire artists to maybe build some original assets.

For "heavily inspired by Zelda" done right, here's Tunic

The design is clearly influenced by Zelda, even the in-game manual (which is a key point of the gameplay) is inspired by artwork from Zelda manuals.

Yet it still has its own unique style and it's gameplay is also very unique. It delves into your knowledge and expectations of Zelda in order to do it's own twists.

It comes across as a love letter to Zelda, one that fully respects it and builds its own things.

(That said, the main problem with Tunic is that it's not available for the Switch).

• Like 3

On 18/05/2022 at 6:11 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I'd argue, when the assets look nigh-identical.

I swear, after a passing look at the trailer, I legitimately thought it was one of those Chinese knock-offs.

On 19/05/2022 at 6:03 PM, Cube said:

For "heavily inspired by Zelda" done right, here's Tunic

The design is clearly influenced by Zelda, even the in-game manual (which is a key point of the gameplay) is inspired by artwork from Zelda manuals.

Yet it still has its own unique style and it's gameplay is also very unique. It delves into your knowledge and expectations of Zelda in order to do it's own twists.

It comes across as a love letter to Zelda, one that fully respects it and builds its own things.

(That said, the main problem with Tunic is that it's not available for the Switch).

Have yet to play it (as you note, Tunic is not available on Switch), but you're bang on, that's probably the best example anyone could give.

Think I saw somewhere that even the instruction booklet draws--quite literally--from Zelda. Looks a fine tribute.

Is it possible to listen to this and not get constant chills?

I'm just through the Face Shrine again and it was as cruel a mix of emotions as ever. Incredible. Then before you can gather yourself, you're off up and across Tal Tal Heights where the music is triumphant and you're fighting against knowing it isn't right, yet you're driven anyway to see it out.

There's just level 8 to go now and then the time of Link's awakening will be upon him once again. Well, I say Link but this time it's actually...

Spoiler

Zelda. :laughing::yay: 

Top game.

• Like 3

Seeing you playing it on your Switch this past week certainly has me in the mood to give the game another playthrough. It didn't sit right with me the first time but my feelings maybe different a second time around.

I wonder what Grezzo are working on at the moment? I'm surprised they haven't reused this engine and remade the Oracle games.

To be honest, I'm in the mood to play most Zelda games at the moment. Given the current weather, firing up Wind Waker HD on the Wii U could be on the cards....

You're right, @darksnowman. I started that song just now, and felt chills almost immediately.

What the remake did with the Face Shrine music is nothing short of amazing. It took a very repetitive song, and somehow molded it into orchestral majesty. It's the pinnacle of that soundtrack and makes it hard to go back to the original Game Boy songs.

As far as remade soundtracks go, Link's Awakening might just be the greatest there's ever been.

Well, except maybe PMD: Rescue Team DX. It's hard for me to choose between them!

5 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

As far as remade soundtracks go, Link's Awakening might just be the greatest there's ever been.

Well, except maybe PMD: Rescue Team DX. It's hard for me to choose between them!

There are the FF Pixel Remasters as well…

Edited by Dcubed

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I've not heard the FF6 one yet, so I'll wait until that before I consider it.

Just now, Dcubed said:

Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia as well. Might be worth playing it just to check. No hurries, tho

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia as well. Might be worth playing it just to check. No hurries, tho

Good man. It's good to give him a reminder every now and then.

• Thanks 1