NEurope
Julius

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening REMAKE — 20th September 2019

I'm not sure where to post this, and I don't know if it deserves its own topic. But I think Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins is long overdue an official remake/remaster (I forget which means what lol), and would suit one in this style.

Edited by Sckewi

6 hours ago, Sckewi said:

I'm not sure where to post this, and I don't know if it deserves its own topic. But I think Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins is long overdue an official remake/remaster (I forget which means what lol), and would suit one in this style.

That's certainly an interesting conclusion from this. Most people would think that the Zelda: Oracles games would be a good fit, but you go and ask for a different genre entirely.

I'd be fine with it.

• Like 1

My next Switch adventure is about to begin. I've had it sat here since launch but had no real motivation to start the game. To be honest i'm still not to fussed about it but it will be good to get it out the way. It shouldn't take too long to complete.

EGgO4dvWkAMovrA.jpg

EGgO4dwXYAAaQe_.jpg

I haven't even started the game and already i'm not a happy chappy. Since when did they start plastering the EU logos all over the game cases? I thought with the Switch we were past that rubbish. :nono:

• Like 1

Yeah, those EU-logos are all over the place! Way to ruin a beautiful cover artwork.

I'm gonna shamelessly put this here, seeing as it's one of my favourite themes from the Zelda series, and it's a remix I'm really happy with ^_^. I made this guitar remix of the Ballad of the Wind Fish 7 years ago, and I still love it. Hope you enjoy it. 

• Like 7

I was expecting a shredding version due to the thumbnail haha. But it sounds great, a really good cover @ArtMediocre!

Edited by Vileplume2000

12 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I was expecting a shredding version due to the thumbnail haha. But it sounds great, a really good cover @ArtMediocre!

Same. :D

Very enjoyable remix though @ArtMediocre great stuff. :smile:

2 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Was surprised that it wasn’t one too, but now I so want to hear a shredding version. Great work @ArtMediocre

My adventure is over.

Spoiler

EGiRcYGUEAATMqp?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiRcYDUwAAenGC?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiRu6gU4AAZx-q?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiRu6mU8AAQ4Z2?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiRu6qVUAEkbLI?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiRu6sUwAAe4QA?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiR-QmU4AEEREF?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiSJZMVAAEoB-O?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiRcXtUYAAIM8N?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiRcYHVUAApgyU?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiX8NZU4AAa8so?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiR-Q8U4AAgrou?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiR-Q-UwAA0oCA?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiR-Q-U0AEGJ80?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiSJZSU4AUO6fM?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiSJY4UwAAfknU?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiSJY3UEAAEP2D?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiSWYqU8AA7uxf?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiSWY1UUAA9BeD?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiSWYxUcAA8OJ7?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiSWYqVAAELcA2?format=jpg&name=360x360

EGiX8M7VAAApsR8?format=jpg&name=360x360

I'm not sure how to feel about the game. I loved the original back as a youngster and I have enjoyed various play throughs of the game since. For whatever reason this version just didn't really do it for me. I did appreciate the QoL improvements, such as having lots of items mapped to different buttons, but there was just something about the game that lacked the charm of the original game. Even the cutesy graphics weren't enough to pull me away from this feeling. Although I did enjoy the way they done ending. :heart:

The stuttering/framerate issue was a bit of a nightmare to deal with and I would like to say that I got used to it but sadly that wasn't the case. It is still pretty jarring throughout all my play time. I usually don't notice such things or even get bothered by them when I do, but it happens so frequently in this that it was hard to ignore. I felt as if the game was still split up into sections and the game was stuttering during the original transitions. It's a very weird issue and I would have preferred if they stuck to a solid 30fps rather than trying to push somethign that they were unable to achieve.

A point many probably won't agree with is that I don't think that this should have been a fully priced game. It's a like-for-like remake of the original game, with pretty much no new content in the main adventure. Over the past couple of years we've had things like the Crash and Spryo trilogies being completely remastered/remade and sold at a budget price for 3 games. Just this year we had Resident Evil 2 which was a full blown remake, offering a fresh take on a classic and giving fans of the game something new to enjoy. Again, this was actually cheaper than what Link's Awakening was. Obviously i'm part of the problem for buying LA on day one but it was disappointing to see just how nothing substantial had changed in the game and yet the consumer was still being charged a premium price for it.

In terms of the design of the game, it's definitely a product of its time and I do sympathise with those who have had trouble with certain dungeons or just didn't really care for them in the first place. With me playing through it multiple times, I know the game pretty well and as such I can find my way around quite easily but for those jumping in for the first time there are times where I could see where newer players may struggle. Things like having to talk to everyone, back tracking a lot or just thinking in a non-logical way are often required. I know i've experienced this recently playing through the first two Dragon Quest games for the first time and there were a few instances where I had to look things up on the internet due to how obscure they were. Again, products of a different time.

Overall the game was a bit of a letdown and even though this is the shiny new version of the game, when I do eventually want to replay the game again I will probably just stick to the good old original version. :peace:

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Omg... I haven't bought the remake as I replayed the original recently before it was announced. But I've been checking it out a bit on YouTube. And this music is just so perfectly fitting. I also LOVE how they've actually used the original gameboy music here.

Spoiler

At this point in the game you've realised what's going to happen... I hope they make a sequel where we see Koholint again. xD

Edited by Sckewi

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

when I do eventually want to replay the game again I will probably just stick to the good old original version. :peace:

giphy.gif

Been listening to the remake's soundtrack and I have to say: It's beautiful. I love me some new renditions of some of my favourite tracks in gaming history. Art style is still shit, though :p 

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2019 at 3:29 PM, Vileplume2000 said:

Haha, yeah sorry about that 😅. Not my video, someone else uploaded my songs, so I don't really have any control over the i ages they choose 😂. Glad you all like it 😁

On 10/10/2019 at 10:32 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

I haven't even started the game and already i'm not a happy chappy. Since when did they start plastering the EU logos all over the game cases? I thought with the Switch we were past that rubbish. :nono:

That’s been standard practice at least since the Wii U. It’s only with Special/Limited Editions though (and when importing from Germany).

I guess all limited editions for PAL territories are manufactured/boxed in Germany? 

33 minutes ago, markderoos said:

That’s been standard practice at least since the Wii U. It’s only with Special/Limited Editions though (and when importing from Germany).

I guess all limited editions for PAL territories are manufactured/boxed in Germany? 

They stopped doing it for a while. Things like BOTW and FE special editions didn't have them on but for whatever reason they started putting them back on. :( 

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

They stopped doing it for a while. Things like BOTW and FE special editions didn't have them on but for whatever reason they started putting them back on. :( 

Yeah, I was dismayed at this as well... the only reasoning I can think of behind it is that they've either started manufacturing all PAL territory games in Germany again whereas before perhaps they were manufacturing them elsewhere? Or Zelda: Link's Awakening was a rare exception, I suppose the only way to find out will be with the next bog release which has a special edition.

On 13/10/2019 at 10:31 PM, S.C.G said:

Yeah, I was dismayed at this as well... the only reasoning I can think of behind it is that they've either started manufacturing all PAL territory games in Germany again whereas before perhaps they were manufacturing them elsewhere? Or Zelda: Link's Awakening was a rare exception, I suppose the only way to find out will be with the next bog release which has a special edition.

I think BotW and FE were the exceptions, because all other LE’s I’ve seen (3DS, Wii U and Switch games alike) have the ugly SKU logo on it.

I'm about six/seven hours into this now and really enjoying it. The art style is absolutely beautiful and the music ridiculously charming, though BOY that frame rate is annoying as hell. Honestly cannot believe Nintendo let it release in this state, a patch NEEDS to come ASAP.

I've done the first three dungeons and also stumbled upon the colour dungeon. Three deaths so far, but they all came in the dream realm... pretty stupid of me to venture in there this early. I haven't played this game for about 15 years, so getting stuck and finally figuring out what to do has been a real old-school pleasure. They just don't make 'em like this anymore :D. It really is just the perfect game to stick on for an hour or so and make a bit of progress. The dungeons haven't been too taxing thus far and the bosses are laughably easy but I'm having a lot of fun! This is one of the only games that I've sat in bed playing in handheld mode, something I very, very rarely do. It's just so well suited to it and it even seems to run better in handheld!

So glad I decided to pick this up on a whim, it has provided a welcome reprieve from Rocket League sessions. I'd love to see the first three Zelda games remade in the same vain. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Nicktendo said:

also stumbled upon the colour dungeon.

Having never played the GB colour version I was expecting a little more from that dungeon. Felt a little disappointed. I don’t know if I even found it the right way. I was just pushing on the graves. 

1 hour ago, Nicktendo said:

The dungeons haven't been too taxing thus far

Maybe it’s just cause of the age of the game and what the could do but I’ve found this too. I remember having so many more issues on the original and the eagle tower was a nightmare for me, but this time round I breezed through them no issues. Just have Turtle rock to do. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Maybe it’s just cause of the age of the game and what the could do but I’ve found this too. I remember having so many more issues on the original and the eagle tower was a nightmare for me, but this time round I breezed through them no issues. Just have Turtle rock to do. 

@Ugh first aid just finished the game last night and she had the same impression. And I'll tell you the same thing I told her.

The chances are, you're a lot better at games now than you were back when this game came out.

A combination of more gaming experience, some memory of what you need to do and the Quality of Life improvements the Switch version has will make this game feel a lot shorter and easier to get through.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

@Ugh first aid just finished the game last night and she had the same impression. And I'll tell you the same thing I told her.

The chances are, you're a lot better at games now than you were back when this game came out.

A combination of more gaming experience, some memory of what you need to do and the Quality of Life improvements the Switch version has will make this game feel a lot shorter and easier to get through.

And I’d think that’s what it is. Cause I feel the same with other games too that are rereleased. 

29 minutes ago, Ike said:

Anyone know what the 1.0.1 is for? Did they fix the data stream issue?

It fixes a game-breaking bug that could happen if you did certain things with Marin.

• Sad 1

I'm wondering what the people of Nyurp think of the price tag of this bad boy.

Is it really worth 50 euros?

I'm getting it for my birthday so not paying top euro for it, but initially I wanted to wait until it dropped to 30 or so.

Though I'm a sucker for all things Zelda, financially I just couldn't justify this purchase.

• Thanks 1