NEurope
Julius

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening REMAKE — 20th September 2019

Digital Foundry saying the demo they played at Gamescon runs at 60FPS (almost) all the time. Huge improvement on the E3 demo :cool:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I played the demo version of this game at the Gamescom. Basically, there's nothing special to say about the demo version. You had 15 minutes from the beginning of the game and could use them however you want. In these 15 minutes I quickly grabbed my sword and shield, got the key for the worm palace out of the forest, getting the magic powder along the way, entered the worm palace and some rooms into the dungeon my time was over. The game plays just like the original - but it looks way more beautiful. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Lo and behold, it's an actual new user!

Well kinda. I had an account before, named Thiophen, but I was unable to get back into it. Thus I've just been lurking semi-constantly, until I finally had the urge to write something. :p

11 minutes ago, ThiophenSJ said:

Well kinda. I had an account before, named Thiophen, but I was unable to get back into it. Thus I've just been lurking semi-constantly, until I finally had the urge to write something. :p

Was more a comment on the bots we get.

2 hours ago, ThiophenSJ said:

I've asked about that for you in the questions thread as we may be able to help you get your original account back, if that's something you'd like us to do? :smile:

Thanks for your impressions on the Link's Awakening remake as well, I can't wait to play the game again on the Switch. :D

• Thanks 1

I'd spoiler tag the whole thing. People who haven't played the original might not know he's in the game and people that have might wonder if they kept him in.

Edited by Ronnie

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

I'd spoiler tag the whole thing. People who haven't played the original might not know he's in the game and people that have might wonder if they kept him in.

Nintendo themselves tweeted it out. 

If we are going to go this hard on spoilers then we may as well not discuss anything about the game (or any game for that matter) at all until release, unless we put it in spoiler tags. It would be like Nintendo presenting the game in a Direct but not being allowed openly to talk about what we just watched.

Whatever. I've deleted it anyway. ::shrug:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nintendo themselves tweeted it out. 

If we are going to go this hard on spoilers then we may as well not discuss anything about the game (or any game for that matter) at all until release, unless we put it in spoiler tags. It would be like Nintendo presenting the game in a Direct but not being allowed openly to talk about what we just watched.

Whatever. I've deleted it anyway. ::shrug:

There's a difference between 'discussing the game' and 'talking about and showing an easter egg/surprise found in one room in the game'.

You spoiler-d the image, so obviously recognise that its somewhat spoilery context. If Nintendo tweeted it then whatever, fair enough, I'm just a bit bored of the modern trend in video games were everyone knows everything about a game before release. There was literally zero surprises in Smash because they'd shown everything. Same with tons of other games. What happened to just finding things out as you play the game. Add to that leaks and the like and there's almost no surprises left in games.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

There was literally zero surprises in Smash because they'd shown everything.

No they didn't.

Spoiler

They kept the second half of World of Light completely under wraps. No-one knew that Galeem wasn't the only villain until people actually played the game.

Not to mention that awesome platforming/Boss Rush/Final Battle section.

Characters aren't the only thing in Smash people care about.

Honestly, the only way to truly stay spoiler free these days is to avoid all internet coverage about the things you are interested in. Even then it's not that simple. For example, I didn't initially watch the new Star Wars trailer because I wanted to wait until the film comes out but YouTube thumbnail pictures spoilt a big part of the trailer, even though I wasn't watching any content related to it. I ended up watching it after that.

Companies themselves are quite happy to show off just about everything in their games these days, Nintendo included. In fact, they've being doing it for ages in their Directs. It's a big part of why I don't watch much of the Treehouse stuff anymore because I feel they give too much away.

It's not just the gaming industry either. Movie trailers now just about give away the whole plot in the space of a 2-3 minute trailer. 

Its just the age we live in. People are constantly looking for new bits of information about what they are interested in and companies are quite happy to dish it out, for better or worse. 

• Like 4

Well in this particular case it's also from a game that's 26 years old. (holy shit man)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Honestly, the only way to truly stay spoiler free these days is to avoid all internet coverage about the things you are interested in. Even then it's not that simple. For example, I didn't initially watch the new Star Wars trailer because I wanted to wait until the film comes out but YouTube thumbnail pictures spoilt a big part of the trailer, even though I wasn't watching any content related to it. I ended up watching it after that.

Companies themselves are quite happy to show off just about everything in their games these days, Nintendo included. In fact, they've being doing it for ages in their Directs. It's a big part of why I don't watch much of the Treehouse stuff anymore because I feel they give too much away.

It's not just the gaming industry either. Movie trailers now just about give away the whole plot in the space of a 2-3 minute trailer. 

Its just the age we live in. People are constantly looking for new bits of information about what they are interested in and companies are quite happy to dish it out, for better or worse. 

Opened Youtube and there was a video on the front page with the character's name in the title and in the thumbnail. :blank:

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

No they didn't.

Smash Ultimate WoL spoilers (Hide contents)

They kept the second half of World of Light completely under wraps. No-one knew that Galeem wasn't the only villain until people actually played the game.

Not to mention that awesome platforming/Boss Rush/Final Battle section.

Well, yes.

Spoiler

You're right, they didn't show the final boss, and lead up to it. That sort of thing goes without saying though don't you think.

They talked about every character in detail, almost every mode, the settings screen, rule options, how many music tracks there were, all the stages, the order the menu goes through when starting a Smash battle, new weapons, new assist trophies, and a hundred other things.

So yeah, when I said they spoiled everything, I meant they showed 99% of the game.

Edited by Ronnie

There's a difference between 'discussing the game' and 'talking about and showing an easter egg/surprise found in one room in the game'.
You spoiler-d the image, so obviously recognise that its somewhat spoilery context. If Nintendo tweeted it then whatever, fair enough, I'm just a bit bored of the modern trend in video games were everyone knows everything about a game before release. There was literally zero surprises in Smash because they'd shown everything. Same with tons of other games. What happened to just finding things out as you play the game. Add to that leaks and the like and there's almost no surprises left in games.
Have to agree with you on the Smash thing, do not like their approach of revealing just about everything about the game in dribs and drabs the months up to release.

And levels, items, assist trophies, features... most of which got revealed.

As @Sméagol said, though, it's a 26 years old game.... And even though I haven't played the game, I know of Wart. He's not really a secret.

I saw the TV ad! Guess that means I can start counting down the days. 

I also need to attempt to finish Astral Chain in that time.

ShopTo have this for under £40 if anyone didn't know. 

I know a lot of people probably opted for that sweet sweet Nintendo store edition, but for those who slept on it and it's now out of stock (me), this is s decent price for a new (kind of new as it's old but new :p ), release. :)

• Thanks 2

New short trailer:

Embargo lifts tomorrow at 2 pm CEST.

I gotta say, though.... this is probably the worst game in the Zelda-series that I have played (I haven't played Zelda and Zelda II though). I'll elaborate tomorrow after embargo lifts but most of my criticism is probably just because it's an old game with a different approach to game design and how to create dungeons that are fun.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

I gotta say, though.... this is probably the worst game in the Zelda-series that I have played 

Are you fucking kidding me.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

New short trailer:

Embargo lifts tomorrow at 2 pm CEST.

I gotta say, though.... this is probably the worst game in the Zelda-series that I have played (I haven't played Zelda and Zelda II though). I'll elaborate tomorrow after embargo lifts but most of my criticism is probably just because it's an old game with a different approach to game design and how to create dungeons that are fun.

Did you play it originally on Game Boy, out of interest? Which Zelda game was your first?

This is the thing with Link's Awakening. It's a Game Boy game, a technical marvel of a Game Boy game, but still a Game Boy game.

And because of that, it's a lot smaller in scope than even A Link to the Past. I could be wrong, but this remake doesn't seem to add a lot to lengthen the original game.

To put it another way, it's the Pokémon Gen 1 problem. Fantastic Game Boy games, but they are really outdated and play nothing like the more modern entries.

Someone trying the Switch version of Link's Awakening, but discovered the Zelda series through more recent titles, are in for a rude wake-up call.

And if their first Zelda title was BotW, they are going to be amazed at how unlike the two games are.

Edited by Glen-i