NEurope
Julius

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening REMAKE — 20th September 2019

I'm not sure how much depth the dungeon maker thing will have, but it's a neat addition. Definitely think we could see a Zelda Maker in the future, that would be incredible. LOZ, ALTTP, Link's Awakening Remake, Minish Cap and A Link Between Worlds art styles?

Also

(if you can bear Audrey)

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was happy to see this addition. A big concern of mine is that i've played the original so many times that I can't see this game lasting me long at all, so i'm happy that new stuff has been included for those of us who already know the game inside and out.

Luckily for me, my sieve memory will take care of that. :heh:

Going to be fun to see how much of the dungeon stuff I remember. :D

Wow! The framerate looks REALLY bad! Why is it struggling so much!?

Inside areas seem to be 60FPS, but then the overworld drops to 30FPS!? The hell is this!? How did they consider this acceptable!? Especially after ALBW, which was flawless; even in S3D.

Wow... Nintendo's quality standards are really slipping :( 

• Like 1

OMG 30fps!!!!! DISASTER!!!!!

I will say though it's a little jarring how Link is locked to 8 directions, looks a little weird

Edited by Ronnie

40 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Inside areas seem to be 60FPS, but then the overworld drops to 30FPS!? The hell is this!? How did they consider this acceptable!? Especially after ALBW, which was flawless; even in S3D.

Agreed. If the entire game was 30fps it wouldn't be too bad (still unacceptable, but less jarring) but changes in fps during a game are always bad. 

33 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

OMG 30fps!!!!! DISASTER!!!!!

I will say though it's a little jarring how Link is locked to 8 directions, looks a little weird

For a 2D Zelda? Yeah, it kind of is a disaster actually.  Would be the first ever top-down Zelda to not run at 60FPS.

It's especially bad considering that it jumps back and forth between 60FPS and 30FPS depending on the scene.  Quite frankly, it's just not up to the standard you would expect from Nintendo and I'm shocked that they've deemed this to be acceptable; especially for a Zelda game (you know, Nintendo's flagship series).  2D Zelda games should be fast and fluid to play, and the fast-paced action gameplay does really rely on a smooth 60FPS; which should be very achievable with a top-down perspective, where the developers have complete control over what is being displayed at all times.

3D Zelda has always been 30FPS (20FPS on N64), and that's fine.  Those games have a large scope and a slower pace, 30FPS is the right choice there.  2D Zelda though? Nope.  Has always been 60FPS, and they're much faster paced; so the action really relies on that faster refresh.  30FPS is going to feel terrible for Link's Awakening.

It kind of indicates that Nintendo just didn't have their priorities right in development with this game; prioritising visual fidelity over smooth gameplay.  I'm very disappointed to see them let their quality slip here, it's really not like them... It really doesn't speak well about Nintendo's current development direction :( 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

I'm shocked that they've deemed this to be acceptable; especially for a Zelda game (you know, Nintendo's flagship series).

I am still shocked that they deemed BoTW's performance to be acceptable ::shrug: 

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I am still shocked that they deemed BoTW's performance to be acceptable ::shrug: 

BOTW was fine on Switch.  Slowdown was only limited to a select few places and was really overblown by nerds online.  It was 30FPS like 99% of the time.

The Wii U version on the other hand? Now that was a total shitshow.  The Ganon fights and Hyrule Castle were pretty much 10-15 FPS all the time.  30FPS was a rarity there; and it's clear that they just gave up on optimising it once they decided to make a Switch version.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dcubed said:

The Wii U version on the other hand? Now that was a total shitshow.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I meant the Wii U version. 

It's still got a few weeks left in development. They are most likely ironing out the game. 

I would rather they dropped the resolution a bit to nail the 60 fps, though. 

17 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

which should be very achievable with a top-down perspective, where the developers have complete control over what is being displayed at all times.

You can't just say "it should be easy to get it to 60", if it was, they would have done it. This is Nintendo EPD, one of the best development studios in gaming, Obviously the visual fidelity was prioritised in the overworld. They prioritise (and hit) a locked 60fps in games that truly need it, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Smash etc. It might be 2D gameplay but it's still a 3D game.

17 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It kind of indicates that Nintendo just didn't have their priorities right in development with this game; prioritising visual fidelity over smooth gameplay.  I'm very disappointed to see them let their quality slip here, it's really not like them... It really doesn't speak well about Nintendo's current development direction :( 

I don't think it indicates anything of the sort. Animal Crossing looks lovely, Link's Awakening looks BEAUTIFUL, you said it yourself, Luigi's Mansion 3 looks fantastic. It's not a quetion of quality slipping, they prioritised visuals in a game that is in essence a VISUAL remake. You're playing it for the visuals. Would I like to see 60, absolutely, that would be great, but it obviously isn't possible in its current state.

Maybe they'll improve the game. Unlike other platforms, Nintendo games tend to look and run better the closer you get to release, so who knows.

Edited by Ronnie

23 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

It's still got a few weeks left in development. They are most likely ironing out the game. 

I would rather they dropped the resolution a bit to nail the 60 fps, though. 

I was about to say the same thing, could just be an issue with the E3 build that they'll solve before release. 

A variable resolution is definitely possible, Yoshi's Crafted World runs at a solid 60fps but the resolution drops to crazy low levels to keep perform consistent. Have they said what engine is being used for Link's Awakening? I have a feeling this might be Unreal too.

How the hell can people tell what FPS something is running at? Are you guessing, or is it from experience or what?

I mean, I can tell the difference if shown two rates in a split screen, but to be able to tell us something is 30 or 40 or 50? I don't get it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bob said:

How the hell can people tell what FPS something is running at? Are you guessing, or is it from experience or what?

I mean, I can tell the difference if shown two rates in a split screen, but to be able to tell us something is 30 or 40 or 50? I don't get it.

You and me both...

• Like 2

I can't believe they've made the "toy grabber" (to get the Yoshi doll) more realistic!  In the original you just had to correctly target the item you wanted, but now it can actually drop it before it gets to you.

On 6/13/2019 at 8:59 AM, bob said:

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

You and me both...

And my Axe!

I just can't tell the difference, people bemoan BOTW's performance but aside from a few bits where it obviously dropped i never saw the issue. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Agent Gibbs said:

And my Axe!

I just can't tell the difference, people bemoan BOTW's performance but aside from a few bits where it obviously dropped i never saw the issue. 

BOTW was perfectly fine, Korok Forest apart. The vast majority of people don't see any issue, certainly not enough to call it unacceptable.

• Like 1

There is pretty significant variability between the frame rate of outdoor sections and smaller/indoor areas in this: :hmm:

Still a way to go yet though, so hopefully they can get it running a bit smoother before launch.

• Thanks 1

How the hell can people tell what FPS something is running at? Are you guessing, or is it from experience or what?I mean, I can tell the difference if shown two rates in a split screen, but to be able to tell us something is 30 or 40 or 50? I don't get it.

Well [mention=883]Dcubed[/mention] originally commented on a visible drop from 60 to 30 FPS for certain sections of the game. If you saw the frame rate drop by half periodically I'm sure you'd notice it. 

I'm guessing he mentioned 30 and 60 FPS because these are the framerates the vast majority of games target.

8 minutes ago, RedShell said:

There is pretty significant variability between the frame rate of outdoor sections and smaller/indoor areas in this: :hmm:

Still a way to go yet though, so hopefully they can get it running a bit smoother before launch.

Yup.  I really hope this is an old demo; because it’s really jarring and offputting.  It will affect how the game plays...

That being said, Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 got significant performance improvements mere months before they launched; so there is precedent for this on Switch.

Even with those side-by-side and slowed down, I genuinely can't tell the difference. What is that, 60fps vs 30fps?

• Like 1

Even with those side-by-side and slowed down, I genuinely can't tell the difference. What is that, 60fps vs 30fps?
It's not a very good example, I don't think. Too short a clip to tell.

23 minutes ago, bob said:

30-ish FPS on the left, 60 on the right. Basically the clip on the left has multiple duplicate frames, some of which even display for 3 frames!

• Like 1