NEurope
Julius

Astral Chain -- August 30th 2019

New IP from Platinum!

Astral Chain is a new action game from PlatinumGames, the creators of the Bayonetta™ series. As part of a police special forces unit in a multi-cultural futuristic city, players work together with a humanoid special weapon, Legion, in a synergetic action system of battle and exploration. 

Astral Chain launches exclusively for Nintendo Switch on Aug. 30.

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

I thought it was some sort of Burning Rangers/Day of Crisis spin off or something at first. :laughing: Looks good though.

• Haha 1

Woah!? WTF!? August 30th!?

How the hell did Platinum pull that one off?!!?? :o 

GIMME IT NOW!!! In Kamiya We Trust! :D 

Looks absolutely bonkers. At first I thought it was another game by Monolithsoft but then I remembered they are supposed to be making a fantasy type game, at least according to that art work they showed ages ago.

Good to see Platinum getting more work.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ike said:

I thought it was some sort of Burning Rangers/Day of Crisis spin off or something at first. :laughing: Looks good though.

I thought exactly the same! Then I saw the character move and I instantly knew it was a Platinum game lol!

I need Viewtiful Policenauts right now!!

Looks like a (hopefully) less violent version of Bayonetta?  I must admit, I've never tried those games because I'm not too keen on the blood and gore.  This though could be a seriously awesome game for the Switch.

I'm intrigued.

Although gameplay seems somewhat Bayonetta-ish. No bad thing, I just wonder if this will cannibalize Bayonetta sales... or vice versa.

After Zelda this was what caught my attention most in the Direct.
When it first started and the first bad guy appeared he looked like something out of Guyver so I thought maybe it was a game based on that.

Then when it showed more, the world, the gameplay, looks fantastic.

Then when I realised it was from Platinum.

Sign me up!

13 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

At first I thought it was another game by Monolithsoft

13 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I thought exactly the same! Then I saw the character move and I instantly knew it was a Platinum game lol!

Hehehe! Same here, I instantly thought Monolith Soft, then switched to Ryu ga Gotoku Studio for a bit, then back to Monolith... :hehe:
I was actually very surprised by it being Platinum (even though in hindsight it was so damn obvious :heh:) as I knew they'd have their hands full with Bayonetta 3! Apparently not. :cool:   

Anyway, this looks amazing and I need it. :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The official site for Astral Chain is up, bringing with it done new details on the game about the story and characters, as well as it's open world city known as The Ark.

The Ark: A massive, prosperous, multicultural city. But disaster strikes when mysterious dimensional gates appear, bringing dangerous alien creatures to the Ark to attack the people and corrupt the land. The Ark police form a special task force, known as Neuron, to face the alien threat head-on.

Humanity’s last chance against invasion is a special living weapon called the Legion. As a rookie Neuron officer, you and your Legion will work together to solve cases and save humankind.

ASTRAL CHAIN gives you full control over two characters at once for thrilling Synergetic Action, courtesy of PlatinumGames. Switch between several Legion types and skills to save the world your way.

ASTRAL CHAIN features character designs by the acclaimed mangaka Masakazu Katsura (ZETMAN, Video Girl Ai), and marks the directorial debut of PlatinumGames’ Takahisa Taura (designer of NieR:Automata). Hideki Kamiya, director of Bayonetta and writer/supervisor of Bayonetta 2, provides supervision.

Well worth checking out, as it has a bunch of awesome new screenshots for the game too.

• Thanks 1

I think the game looks awesome! Except that cover artwork, that looks horrible. :shakehead

Have to admit, I wasn't keen on the game but watching the Treehouse, it does look like a lot of fun, if a little janky (like most Platinum games are).

Oh and +1 re: the horrible box art.

12 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I think the game looks awesome! Except that cover artwork, that looks horrible. :shakehead

I love the Disaster Day of Crisis vibe they went for.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

I love the Disaster Day of Crisis vibe they went for.

That's funny, that game also crossed my mind when watching the gameplay..

This game is looking freaking bonkers!!! I thought this looked good before I saw the gameplay, but now it's just gotten a whole new layer of depth! I enjoy Platinum's games for their action packed gameplay, but this detective stuff and being a proper policeman/woman looks to be great fun too! And the city looks really good too :D

The city looks amazing, I'm genuinely impressed for a Switch game. It's definitely way more than just an typical Platinum action game, the detective stuff looks a lot of fun.

This has shot to the top of my list after watching it on the treehouse. The 5 different legions look like they give the game loads of depth. Combat looks fund and fluid, enemy design looks varied and interesting. And then there's a whole open world element!

I believe I heard that you can assign skills to the legions, but can you level them up as well?

And I believe they confirmed it has online co-op - has anyone got anymore details on this?