NEurope
Julius

Tetris 99 -- Available Today

I'll be playing this evening, forgot it went live today as i could have thrown a few games in at lunch.

On 25/10/2019 at 5:11 PM, Glen-i said:

Luigi's Mansion 3 theme is on now.

Music choice could have been better and there isn't enough Boo noises at all. Background is nice though.

Can’t say I’m a huge fan of this theme, the music is awful and the slimy border looks really amateurish, it doesn’t match the quality of the other assets at all. :shakehead I still hit 100 points to unlock it, even though I never want to see it again after this event. :heh:

Is the event over? Did I miss out on this seemingly hideous theme? :grin:

I kind of still want it... bit if I've missed it then oh well...

24 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Is the event over? Did I miss out on this seemingly hideous theme? :grin:

I kind of still want it... bit if I've missed it then oh well...

Should still be on, ends on the 29th.

But yeah, definitely the worst theme.

BTW, it's next weekend that event goes live.

You don't see Pokémon Company collabarate with other games very often. I believe Mario Maker 1 was the last time that happened, so I'm kinda surprised this is a thing.

Pokémon Theme is up now.

A lot of nice touches in this theme. Most of the sound effects are completely different to the usual Tetris 99.

Getting a K.O gives you the sound of the EXP Bar filling up, swapping blocks with your stored one gets the saving sound effect, even the music for when you lose is changed. The actual music for when you're playing is a good fit too, but that wouldn't be hard.

Great theme!

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Pokémon Theme is up now.

A lot of nice touches in this theme. Most of the sound effects are completely different to the usual Tetris 99.

Getting a K.O gives you the sound of the EXP Bar filling up, swapping blocks with your stored one gets the saving sound effect, even the music for when you lose is changed. The actual music for when you're playing is a good fit too, but that wouldn't be hard.

Great theme!

Yeah, really cool theme this time. I love how when you K.O someone you “catch” the Pokémon that was in their window. :cool: Good luck catching ‘em all! :heh:

If I get the subscription via eshop, instead of via phisical copy of Tetris, do I have to be online to play Tetris (I probably do)?

1 minute ago, Kounan said:

If I get the subscription via eshop, instead of via phisical copy of Tetris, do I have to be online to play Tetris (I probably do)?

No you don't need to be always online.  There are no single player or local multiplayer modes unless you buy the Big Block DLC though (which comes with the physical version out of the box); as it only comes with the online Tetris 99 mode as standard (which kind of is the whole point of this game).  But the two versions are identical if you buy the Big Block DLC.

Edited by Dcubed

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

No you don't need to be always online.  There are no single player or local multiplayer modes unless you buy the Big Block DLC though (which comes with the physical version out of the box); as it only comes with the online Tetris 99 mode as standard (which kind of is the whole point of this game).  But the two versions are identical if you buy the Big Block DLC.

Thank you. So for me it's cheaper to get physical copy then (few pounds, but it gives me few options). I hope there will be Mario Party (my daughter wants it :) ) on sale during black friday, so I can order it together with Tetris 99. 

Tetris 99 makes me feel like an old man. 

I usually get to grips with a game's control scheme very quickly but for some weird reason it's insanely difficult for me in this game :laughing: 
I'm so hilariously bad at this :D  Most of the time I audibly go "wow, you dumb fuck, that was a horrible move", and 30 seconds later I lose.

I feel so old :( 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Tetris 99 makes me feel like an old man. 

I usually get to grips with a game's control scheme very quickly but for some weird reason it's insanely difficult for me in this game :laughing: 
I'm so hilariously bad at this :D  Most of the time I audibly go "wow, you dumb fuck, that was a horrible move", and 30 seconds later I lose.

I feel so old :( 

I warned you on your Birthday that once you hit 30 it was all downhill from there. :p 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

It looks like this game just got some kind of update. There’s a ton of new icons to unlock, a ‘team battle’ mode and the ability to create/join password games.

Edit- There is also an upcoming Event to win 999 gold points. Looks like it takes place in Team Battle.

Also it seems you can get old themes that were originally only available at past events, for 30 points 

Edited by Helmsly

For a guy who doesn't really like Tetris, I'm enjoying this quite a lot.

My best placement has been 25 so far.

To those who have bought the "season pass". Is it worth the 10 bucks? Does it bring anything worthwhile to the game?

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

To those who have bought the "season pass". Is it worth the 10 bucks? Does it bring anything worthwhile to the game?

Yes, you can play the game offline with it... I believe, although I think it works out even cheaper to buy the physical copy as it comes with a years online subscription...

...which you don't need as you mentioned that you're already online via the family option, in which case it just comes down to, do you want to play the following modes offline...

Marathon Mode
CPU Battle Mode

If you're happy just playing Tetris online, then I'd say you don't need it but if you want to play offline then you probably do.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

If you're happy just playing Tetris online, then I'd say you don't need it but if you want to play offline then you probably do.

Hm. I guess for that price I don't really think it's worth it. Maybe for 5€, if there's ever going to be a worthwhile sale on the eShop again :p 

Nice to see this get another update. :) Shame there’s no new themes to unlock though, I already have all of the original and past event ones, so any tickets I get now are basically useless. :blank: 

1 hour ago, Ike said:

How does the team battle work, can we have a NE team?

I think it's just joining a random team online.

However, there is a new feature called "Password Match". It seems that a group of friends can enter the same password and have a private Tetris 99 battle. Granted, there probably won't be 99 people, but you can technically play against friends now.

Edited by Glen-i

The Event to win 999 gold points is now live.

Edit - just a heads up, you have to wait for the entire match to end for everyone for it to register points in this event, as points are given out based on what place your Team places this time. If you quit out/set a new match before that you seem to get nothing.

Edited by Helmsly

It feels like it's been a while, but a new Grand Prix is starting soon. I don't think there's a theme to unlock, but you can win 999 gold coins again.

• Thanks 4