NEurope
Julius

Tetris 99 -- Available Today

I usually set it to Attackers from start but don't seem to get any benefit...somehow I end up with like 6 people targeting me real quick and it just becomes a cluster frak :p

New modes have been discovered by some data miners.

– “Team Battle”: Two giant teams clash. Be on the winning side!”
– “COM Battle”: “Battle against 98 bots. Defeat the machines!” (supports both 99 Battle and Team Battle)
– “Marathon”: score attack -> 200 lines or endless

Team Battle sounds like more my type of game style. I can then rely on others to bring home the gold for me. :D 

• Haha 3

Yeah, I had a feeling there'd be more modes. The stats screen has Tabs for "Tetris 99" and "All" Which is just odd for a game with one mode.

I'm glad there's a Marathon Mode somewhere. Tetris 99 is great, but sometimes I just want to play some traditional Tetris.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Made it to 2nd place in a game:

DzdXQndU0AUyi3w.jpg

My heart rate was off the charts! :eek: Never thought I'd get so hyped playing Tetris. :laughing:

This game. :bowdown:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My best is 4th so far, the last 10 is so insane and I just constantly make mistakes. Whoever thought battle royale Tetris could be a thing 😂

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Whoever thought battle royale Tetris could be a thing 😂

Yeah, completely bonkers. :hehe: 

It’s even more mind blowing when I think back to first playing the GB version though. I’d love to be able to time travel and tell 10 year old me about Tetris 99! :laughing:

Never been a huge Tetris fan but I've really been enjoying this. The additional gameplay elements to make this work are quite interesting and I spent a bit of time understanding the impact of KO's this morning which finally allowed me to win a game. Feel I need to take a bit of a break for a while.

DzlALEmVYAA1vUd.jpg

• Like 4

Have people managed to hack the game or something?

I've noticed a few times within like the first 10 seconds I've had 8 lines of garbage thrown at me... From one person...how does that happen?

Best I've managed so far is 3rd, twice :)

4 hours ago, Mokong said:

Have people managed to hack the game or something?

I've noticed a few times within like the first 10 seconds I've had 8 lines of garbage thrown at me... From one person...how does that happen?

Best I've managed so far is 3rd, twice :)

Might have been a pro player.

Yeah, I understand what a t-spin is, I can fluke my way into one but can't for the life of me plan for one....if I could figure that out I'd do tons better

Nintendo of Europe has announced this as well:

However, it's going under a different name. Does that indicate that this is regional?

• Thanks 1

Pretty cool to see them giving out prizes; especially for just playing the game normally.

A €9,999 prize pool (per region?) is pretty decent for a free (not “free”) game too!

Edited by Dcubed

6 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

A €9,999 prize pool (per region?) is pretty decent for a free (not “free”) game too!

It's a good prize, indeed. But it's not like they're losing money on it in the long term as people will now have to buy something on the eShop. 

10 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

It's a good prize, indeed. But it's not like they're losing money on it in the long term as people will now have to buy something on the eShop. 

It’s still lost revenue to them.  Even if the winners would’ve had no intention of buying anything from the eShop ever again (which let’s face it, is a pretty unlikely prospect), the prize credit can still be put towards renewing their NSO membership (which they would’ve definitely have had to pay for to get access to Tetris 99 to begin with).

It’s a lot easier for them to handle the legal side of things if they’re giving out eShop credit rather than cash though; especially for a worldwide completion (prize laws can get VERY complicated, even in a single country; never mind internationally!).  So it’s a sensible approach.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It’s still lost revenue to them.  Even if the winners would’ve had no intention of buying anything from the eShop ever again (which let’s face it, is a pretty unlikely prospect), the prize credit can still be put towards renewing their NSO membership (which they would’ve definitely have had to pay for to get access to Tetris 99 to begin with).

It’s a lot easier for them to handle the legal side of things if they’re giving out eShop credit rather than cash though; especially for a worldwide completion (prize laws can get VERY complicated, even in a single country; never mind internationally!).  So it’s a sensible approach.

Yeah, if everyone only buys for the exact amount they are given, it's a loss. However, in the long term, I don't think they will be losing on it. But that's just speculation. At least the prize is better than access to a wallpaper from MyNintendo...!

• Thanks 1

It's a nice prize, gamers get money to spend on the eShop, Nintendo get gamers to spend time on the eShop. Everyone wins. Well except numbers 1000-however many million that is.

content-4-35723-tetris99logobanner.jpg

And it's up on the front page.

Thanks to both @MindFreak and @Glen-i seeing as you posted about the events for both regions, I credited you both. :peace:

So, who's actually going to have a go at this then? I'm not sure I'll bother but who knows when the urge to play Tetris will strike.

• Thanks 1

So.. how many wins do you think it'll take to enter top 999 in Europe?

And if there is a tie on the lower end, say 950-1050 have the same score. How will they decide who gets the prize?

Edited by MindFreak

4 hours ago, S.C.G said:

content-4-35723-tetris99logobanner.jpg

And it's up on the front page.

Thanks to both @MindFreak and @Glen-i seeing as you posted about the events for both regions, I credited you both. :peace:

So, who's actually going to have a go at this then? I'm not sure I'll bother but who knows when the urge to play Tetris will strike.

I mean, I like Tetris 99, so I'll probably enter just for the sake of playing Tetris 99.

But I'd be utterly delusional to think I'm even in with a chance.

• Thanks 1

The event has made this absolutely insane, it’s tricky to even make the final 50 now! :o I’m pretty sure the most simultaneous attackers I ever had on this was around 5, it’s now 15. :laughing:

People really want those gold points. :hehe:

I just noticed that in Europe, you only have to win once to enter the draw. In the US, the number of wins matters. Funny that they changed that.