NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

ONINAKI — August 22nd 2019

From the creators of I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear: Tokyo RPG Factory.

Players assume the role of a Watcher named Kagachi, doing battle by “manifesting” the souls of Daemons, which act as the classes found in traditional roleplaying games. Each Daemon has its own unique weapons and skills, and players can shift between them in real time to gain the upper hand in battle.

Moving between the Living World and the realm of the dead known as the Beyond, Kagachi must save the souls of the Lost, as the story of life and reincarnation in this wondrous kingdom unfolds.

ONINAKI is coming to Nintendo Switch this summer.

Edited by Julius

This probably intrigued me the most in that Direct... will definitely keep an eye on this!

After the disappointing I am Setsuna and Lost Sphear this better be good. It's also coming out to PC and PS4, by the way.

Looks nice so far.

No physical version on the Switch for us Western gamers. :(

I guess the physical version of Lost Sphear didn't sell enough in the West to justify bringing this one over.

Can someone with a Japanese account check for me in the japanese E-shop if the game has English text?

33 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Can someone with a Japanese account check for me in the japanese E-shop if the game has English text?

It's not on there yet.

• Thanks 1

I think I saw a confirmation somewhere that it has.

Anyway, apparently there's a demo out now, though the servers are down for maintenance so I can't check.

Edited by Sméagol

6 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Anyway, apparently there's a demo out now,

Out on PSN, not sure about other services.

Game is boring as all hell. Fights are slow and clunky, art style is bland, music is nothing special. ::shrug: 

On 23/07/2019 at 2:14 PM, drahkon said:

Out on PSN, not sure about other services.

Game is boring as all hell. Fights are slow and clunky, art style is bland, music is nothing special. ::shrug: 

Personally I love the artstyle. I think I'll love the combat as well, there seems to be plenty of customisation and variation and I've only played the demo up until the first boss. Daemons have a big enough skilltree to keep me happy regarding customisation, and you can only equip 3 or 4 skills anyway. Right before the boss you get a new one, and it plays very differently from first one. The game suggested you use the new one against he boss, and I'm not sure if that's the best way to introduce the idea of multiple daemons for different situations, as I died since I had been playing with and was used to the other one, which was also already leveled up. But it did highlight the differences between the 2, so I tried to adapt. The new deamon used a lance so had much longer range melee attacks, which came in handy as the boss had melee attacks covering a large area, and a area of effect attack that covered a massive area. The new daemon also allowed you to jump over stuff that the first daemon didn't. The first daemon had a dash instead which initially seemed more beneficial to me, but now I'm not sure. You also have the hyper mode available, and something you have to keep in mind (I forgot what they called it). I think it's deep enough to keep me entertained, especially if you have to switch daemons mid-battle later on.

And like I said, I actually like the artstyle, plus I love the setting and the intrigue so far. The reincarnation cult seems a bit creepy!

Yeah, I think I'll grab a copy. Square Enix (EU!) is selling physical copies in limited quantities on their own webstore.

I just can't get over the fact that you can't cancel attacks with your dodge. ::shrug: Makes fighting really clunky to me.

That was a design choice. I don't have a problem with it, but that hyper mode I mentioned, let's you cancel everything apparently.

Edit: Ah I remembered I think.. It's called "manifest".

Edited by Sméagol

6 hours ago, Sméagol said:

That was a design choice. I don't have a problem with it, but that hyper mode I mentioned, let's you cancel everything apparently.

Yup, but it still doesn't sit right with me :p If you were able to cancel attacks anytime I think I'd be all over it. But it's just this one (in my opinion) flaw that ruins the entire battle system.

I waited too long and missed out the first time, but SE has put the (physical) game back up on their store. I hesitated again, "is it really a must-buy?", but I did like the demo, so finally ordered it.

Sign in to follow this