NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Super Mario Maker 2 -- June 2019

Boom!

Here’s my well rounded, sweet and explosive course!

That was a ton of fun to make! Love the two part limitation! Really helped to break me out of my creator’s block and got me to come up with some doughnutty ideas :hehe:

Looking forward to making the next one! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

And with that, here's mine.

EQ3Pb2IUUAIufuq?format=jpg&name=small

In typical style, my course ended up being the platformy straight-forward course to counter-balance @Dcubed's clever puzzle based one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ugh. Spent all morning trying to set a good cleartime.. <sigh> I'll give your levels a quick go right now, but I'm dead tired, so if they're hard I'm going to bed and play them tonight.

Anyway;

Our Donut is Not A Hole
ID: D1K-PB6-9CG
Light puzzling but mostly very hard platforming. Boss at the end.
Trailer in spoiler. (with speedrun route for first section), ignore if you don't want spoilers.

Spoiler

I'm overall happy with mine, though I may reupload another version later with some extra polish. Trying to speedrun my own level didn't make it obvious the timer is pretty tight for such a big level, but the level is (yet again) pretty hard, there are 2 checkpoints, and I expect people to die a lot and reset the timers. It should probably be 400 at least, but I didn't want to clear it for the 3rd time (with a good cleartime). There's also one particular jump I think may be too hard, perhaps I should make that one easier (I already made some other jumps easier). There's also the puzzle in the big airship. While I like the set-up, I think I could make things more clearer for the player. I was also worried about a possible softlock, but after testing, I concluded it's either not possible, or you need to try really hard.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Ugh. Spent all morning trying to set a good cleartime.. <sigh> I'll give your levels a quick go right now, but I'm dead tired, so if they're hard I'm going to bed and play them tonight.

Anyway;

Our Donut is Not A Hole
ID: D1K-PB6-9CG
Light puzzling but mostly very hard platforming. Boss at the end.
Trailer in spoiler. (with speedrun route for first section), ignore if you don't want spoilers.

trailer (Reveal hidden contents)

I'm overall happy with mine, though I may reupload another version later with some extra polish. Trying to speedrun my own level didn't make it obvious the timer is pretty tight for such a big level, but the level is (yet again) pretty hard, there are 2 checkpoints, and I expect people to die a lot and reset the timers. It should probably be 400 at least, but I didn't want to clear it for the 3rd time (with a good cleartime). There's also one particular jump I think may be too hard, perhaps I should make that one easier (I already made some other jumps easier). There's also the puzzle in the big airship. While I like the set-up, I think I could make things more clearer for the player. I was also worried about a possible softlock, but after testing, I concluded it's either not possible, or you need to try really hard.

Mine is hard... Would probably recommend at least a quick nap before and afterwards; even if you do play them tonight ;) 

Also, that softlock sounds like a challenge to me... I'll do my best with it :hehe:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Weird 1

I did them.

@Glen-i: Easy route is well, too easy, top route is a nice and fun challenge (could maybe use some tweaking, but I don't want to go into detail). Didn't make it into the yellow pipe though (almost).

@Dcubed: Why, WHY all the shallow water. :blush: Haha. Other than that is was indeed pretty tough (besides the water). Timed out once. Puzzle was brilliant.

Despite the annoying water, my vote goes to @Dcubed for the fun puzzle.

I ehh, should make a general post about voting.

• Thanks 1

Voting

Making this up as I go.

• Vote for the level you like the best
  • You can't vote yourself
  • Players can vote too!
  • In case of a tie ehh, I don't know. Maybe race a level made by someone not tied?
  • Winner gets to decide next theme

For overview, here are the 3 entries:

Donuts & Bob-ombs

Bangin' Doughnuts! (Dcubed ) ID: 37B-93X-8HF (1) Sméagol
Spooky Explosive Donuts (Glen-i ) ID: B4H-KKT-K6G
Our Donut Is Not a Hole (Sméagol) ID: D1K-PB6-9CG

Like I said, players can vote too! Anyone reading this and still playing Mario Maker, it would be great to see some votes and comments!

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

Voting
Making this up as I go.
  • Vote for the level you like the best
  • You can't vote yourself
  • Players can vote too!
  • In case of a tie ehh, I don't know. Maybe race a level made by someone not tied?
  • Winner gets to decide next theme
For overview, here are the 3 entries:
Donuts & Bob-ombs
Bangin' Doughnuts! (Dcubed ) ID: 37B-93X-8HF (1) Sméagol
Spooky Explosive Donuts (Glen-i ) ID: B4H-KKT-K6G
Our Donut Is Not a Hole (Sméagol) ID: D1K-PB6-9CG
Like I said, players can vote too! Anyone reading this and still playing Mario Maker, it would be great to see some votes and comments!

Will try these out with my son tomorrow morning.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was wondering if maybe we can make this a new thread as well? Might get a bit more attention from other N-E folk that way? Even if they're not actually making levels, they can still play and vote on their favourites! :hehe:

Speaking of which... @RedShell, @S.C.G, @Hero-of-Time, @nekunando, @Jonnas, @LazyBoy, @BowserBasher Get in here and play our levels!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I was wondering if maybe we can make this a new thread as well? Might get a bit more attention from other N-E folk that way? Even if they're not actually making levels, they can still play and vote on their favourites! :hehe:

I suspected this wouldn't gather much / enough interest like so many other ideas in the past, so I just put in in the general thread. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to create a thread so at least this first challenge will get some more attention. I'll create one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Speaking of which... @RedShell, @S.C.G, @Hero-of-Time, @nekunando, @Jonnas, @LazyBoy, @BowserBasher Get in here and play our levels!

Thanks for the mention and I’d so be playing your levels but I still don’t have this game. I think the first one put me off as I never really got into the building and there weren’t enough normal type levels to download/play. Maybe the community is better on this one and I’ll pick it up at some point. 

Dcubed, I don't have Mario Maker, either :heh: I'm afraid I can't participate in the voting.

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Thanks for the mention and I’d so be playing your levels but I still don’t have this game. I think the first one put me off as I never really got into the building and there weren’t enough normal type levels to download/play. Maybe the community is better on this one and I’ll pick it up at some point. 

There's a tag system people can put on their levels, so you can filter by "Standard" or "Autoscroll" and so on.

I'm not gonna be online for much longer so I might have to download @Sméagol's level and play it offline if I don't finish it in time.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

There's a tag system people can put on their levels, so you can filter by "Standard" or "Autoscroll" and so on.

I'm not gonna be online for much longer so I might have to download @Sméagol's level and play it offline if I don't finish it in time.

Cool, if you do, let me know what difficulty the game thinks my level is (though I can hazard a guess).

I tried all of these levels and only managed to finish @Glen-i’s so he gets my vote :D

I played another one of your levels @Sméagol, the one with the precision jumps and the boots. Absolutely loved it. Very challenging, but not impossible, kept me coming back for one more go. 

I might make a level next time... even though I haven’t made any on this game yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Cool, if you do, let me know what difficulty the game thinks my level is (though I can hazard a guess).

Yep, Super Expert. With a clear rate of currently 1.36%, that's not surprising.

I wonder how they determine that for new levels. I'd love to know in what difficulty my other levels fall under, but there's no way of knowing apart from downloading, and you can't download your own levels.

Edited by Sméagol

6 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I wonder how they determine that for new levels. I'd love to know in what difficulty my other levels fall under, but there's no way of knowing apart from downloading, and you can't download your own levels.

It's based on the clear rate. Less than 1.5% is Super Expert, 1.5 to 10% is Expert and I can't be certain what differentiates between Normal and Easy. But I saw a 42% clear rate mark a level as Easy. So my guess would be 10 to 25% would be Normal. (Not certain about that one though)

• Thanks 1

I thought "why not Google it", and it appears more complicated than that actually. Not purely based on clear rate.

9 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I thought "why not Google it", and it appears more complicated than that actually. Not purely based on clear rate.

Huh. Interesting. Gonna have to do that myself.

EDIT: Well, I can't seem to find something on Mario Maker 2 specifically, but it seems Mario Maker 1 seemed to utilise the average number of deaths a player has before beating a level. No idea if that's the case for Maker 2 though...

Edited by Glen-i

@Dcubed How about recording an episode of Smashing Cast, where we can play your levels and try to beat them/talk through them. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

@Dcubed How about recording an episode of Smashing Cast, where we can play your levels and try to beat them/talk through them. 

Naturally I love the idea! :D 

You guys will need some patience though... they are pretty tough (far from impossible, but definitely tough!).

If you want me to take part, I should be available this coming Monday or Tuesday :) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

@LazyBoy That sounds like a great idea and it will be nice to finally try out some N-Europe made levels on Super Mario Maker 2. :)

@Dcubed If we can make it work then it would make for a great episode, I suppose on a technical level we would all talk on Discord while playing your levels and then there would be video of your levels playing constantly while you tell us about how you went about making the courses, kind of like a Director's Commentary for part of it perhaps?  :D

I'm interested either way and can take part on either Monday or Tuesday.

Edit - wait... I'm missing something pretty major here I think, did I imagine it or is it now possible to play simultaneous four player co-op online on Super Mario Maker 2? If that's the case then it could work rather well, I've probably forgotten something technical though, maybe it's local only? I haven't played it since launch.

Edited by S.C.G

42 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

@LazyBoy That sounds like a great idea and it will be nice to finally try out some N-Europe made levels on Super Mario Maker 2. :)

@Dcubed If we can make it work then it would make for a great episode, I suppose on a technical level we would all talk on Discord while playing your levels and then there would be video of your levels playing constantly while you tell us about how you went about making the courses, kind of like a Director's Commentary for part of it perhaps?  :D

I'm interested either way and can take part on either Monday or Tuesday.

Edit - wait... I'm missing something pretty major here I think, did I imagine it or is it now possible to play simultaneous four player co-op online on Super Mario Maker 2? If that's the case then it could work rather well, I've probably forgotten something technical though, maybe it's local only? I haven't played it since launch.

Most of my levels aren’t built for multiplayer; except for one (the Ice Climbers course, which is meant for same screen co-op but generally works fine for multi-screen multiplayer too).  Unfortunately, most of my levels will break completely in multiplayer and will be unbeatable if you try (though Ice Climbers is a riot!).

But yeah, that sounds fun! I love watching people try to beat my levels! Most of them have a neat gimmick of sorts or are puzzle based, so you can all work together to figure it out.

On a technical level, you just need to download the levels and have someone video stream their attempts to beat it while we all watch and chat about it :D 

• Thanks 1

Love that idea though, having a Director's commentary, but someone else playing the level. Would watch!

Sign in to follow this