NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Super Mario Maker 2 -- June 2019

In honour of Super Mario Maker 2 getting close/arrived for some people, I found a level with the perfect title to play as the last ever Mario Maker level I play. We can all have:

D-FV8lRWsAARRa7.jpg

• Thanks 2

Another plug for the new page...

Super Mario Maker 2 

content-2-35846-smmright.jpg

Review written by @Ashley

• Like 1

We should ban @Ashley for his utter disrespect of that green guy (what was his name again?); shame on you!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

We should ban @Ashley for his utter disrespect of that green guy (what was his name again?); shame on you!

Personally, I thought that should have been the pull quote for the review. ;)

Edited by S.C.G

i lol'd at "Iffy dialogue" being a negative in a stage-creating 2D Mario game, don't see that every day :laughing:

N-Europe is not considered a reputable site by Metacritic to be classified under Critic Reviews. We need to change this!

7 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

N-Europe is not considered a reputable site by Metacritic to be classified under Critic Reviews. We need to change this!

Careful now, that would mean that I would have influence over Metacritic.

Some people aren't meant to have that much power.

• Haha 1

A few more hours for me. Ugh, agonizing! I wanted to make the wait shorter by staying in bed like I usually do, but I was already designing a level in my head. So I just got up, and started to watch some Mario maker videos.

Can you use any stylus on Switch, or does it have to be an official one.

Edit: Had a look, most rubber tipped ones you can use with mobile and tablets should work, so ordered one for later

Been playing the level creator for a few hours, already made 1 level that's impossible to beat (for me).  Too many Bowsers and Squids.

Here we go then. I have the game now and I have already created my first level and uploaded it.

It's a remake of my most popular level from Mario Maker 1, the one missing from the showcase.

You can have a look at my Twitter for the code, I'm not posting it in this thread if there's going to be a specific thread for sharing courses.

• Thanks 1

Apparently there is a limit of 32 uploaded levels per user anyway, so that might have solved our issue regarding too many levels being uploaded.

Phew!

I didn't realise there was a limit on the number of levels you can upload.

I mean... It doesn't say that there's a limit on the number you can store locally, so that's something but I suppose it means you're just going to put your very best courses online.

Still... 32 courses? I'm sure 100 per user would have been a more sensible amount.

Surely @RedShell will have maxxed out his amount of permitted uploaded levels within the week. ;)

45 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Surely @RedShell will have maxxed out his amount of permitted uploaded levels within the week. ;)

Hehehe! No chance. I’ll no doubt end up making a lot of levels in this, but I’m going to take my own sweet time in doing so. :) Story Mode will definitely slow me down a bit initially too.

As for upload limits, I imagine it’s the same system as the first SMM, whereby the number of courses that you’re permitted to post gradually increases over time. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ronnie said:

i lol'd at "Iffy dialogue" being a negative in a stage-creating 2D Mario game, don't see that every day :laughing:

It's particularly bad 😋

So as someone new to Mario maker, can someone confirm some things for me? After watching the All fortresses SMB3 race on SDGQ, the first thing I wanted to create was a Fortress level, but:

1] Am I correct in thinking you can't get rid of the lava in the castle theme? Hide it at most? I actually want the bottomless pits. But also the castlwe theme.

2] It isn't possible to get rid of the goal? I want to finish the level with the traditional Boom Boom fight. Closest I can get is change the clear condition of the level to defeat the Boom Boom, but that still leaves the goal.

3] Those glowy orbs that circle around the red orb, they're not available? Nor the iconic B&W floor tiles?

Edit:

One more thing.. Lifts, is there a way to set the distance they travel without using tracks?

Edited by Sméagol

Here’s my Maker profile!

nPseYoD.jpg

My first level here is a remake of the Green Demon Challenge Level I made from SMM1! Figured that would be a good way to test out the little differences to start off with!

BTW, the 32 online level limit is crap.  The original Wii U game gave you up to 100!! (after you earned enough stars).  32 is nowhere near enough!! They had better fix this...

BTW, for those interested, you can have 124 usermade levels stored in your Switch per System User and 60 downloaded levels per-user (they are now stored separately).  Not bad at all!

Now they just need to fix the puny 32 online level limit...

Edited by Dcubed

4 hours ago, RedShell said:

Hehehe! No chance. I’ll no doubt end up making a lot of levels in this, but I’m going to take my own sweet time in doing so. :) Story Mode will definitely slow me down a bit initially too.

As for upload limits, I imagine it’s the same system as the first SMM, whereby the number of courses that you’re permitted to post gradually increases over time. 

Apparently it doesn’t get expanded at all... 32 is the upper limit! Insane!!

• Sad 1

In the middle of testing my second level... and my first brand new one using Mario Maker 2 mechanics.

I've tried to learn from the mistakes of previous levels in Mario Maker 1 to build something pretty solid. But section 3 is proving difficult...

Spoiler

The Super Ball Flower from Mario Land is an unlockable part for the the Super Mario Bros Theme!

Collecting it changes the music to the Mario Land Overworld song!

That's very cool.

• Thanks 1

I'm a big fan of the Story Mode. It's full of charm, the dialogue is fun and it nails that "oh go on one more level" feel. Plus playing through Nintendo designed SM3 and World stages makes it feel like long lost levels or DLC for those games :heart:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Plus playing through Nintendo designed SM3 and World stages makes it feel like long lost levels or DLC for those games :heart:

You're not the first person to say something like that and it really confuses me.

After all, Mario Maker 1 had Nintendo designed levels built in.

13 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You're not the first person to say something like that and it really confuses me.

After all, Mario Maker 1 had Nintendo designed levels built in.

And those felt like DLC and long lost levels as well.

Anyway the Switch's story mode helps sell the illusion far better than picking levels from the game's menu.

11 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

And those felt like DLC and long lost levels as well.

Anyway the Switch's story mode helps sell the illusion far better than picking levels from the game's menu.

I've played through a few of the story levels so far and I'm finding myself having the same issue I had with the Nintendo levels in Super Mario Maker for 3DS.. though hopefully that will change as I progress!

I feel that the levels are pretty good for demonstrating using the objects in different ways and offering plenty of ideas for the player to run wild with and be inspired by. To be fair, that's essentially what their purpose is so it would be wrong to criticise them for that but they don't really compare to what you would normally find in a brand new 2D Mario adventure.

Credits all rolled now. Haven't done every level yet. But it was lots of fun. Definitely got some inspiration for some levels to create.

Sign in to follow this