NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Super Mario Maker 2 -- June 2019

I just noticed on the Switch News Feed about a Mario Maker 2 competition.

Simply put...

Winners get a copy of Animal Crossing and a goodie bag.

I've not used a Clear Condition before, so this is a good opportunity.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Too bad it's UK only.

24 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I've not used a Clear Condition before, so this is a good opportunity.

Keep in mind you can't use checkpoints, so don't make your level too hard and / or long (no comment).

• Thanks 1

There's a new ninji speedrun. I had a very quick go at it, and this one's pretty fun. I'll go try for a better time later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

<sigh> Learned something new today.. Slopes don't count for scrollstopping purposes. That's annoying.

42 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Didn't know that. So much for me creating puzzle levels ::shrug: 

Quoting you here, as this is just general advice. There are plenty of puzzle levels created, so a limit of 2 checkpoints shouldn't stop you.. If every puzzle you make needs a CP, you're doing something wrong. You can go back and check @Dcubed older levels, he made some really cool ones, and here on #NE, he's the most prolific puzzle level creator.

Just be mindful of how many puzzles you create, and how you structure your level, and where you put your puzzles. If the puzzles are easy, you can put more before placing a CP. If they're hard, put less puzzles before a CP. Also take into account how fast you can go through a puzzle once you know the solution. If you can breeze to some hard puzzles once you know how they work, it's ok to have more of them. Another factor is how deadly the puzzles are, or any platforming obstacles between them. If the puzzles are super hard, but there's no real danger of dying (apart from timing out), it's ok to have it far from a CP.

Also keep in mind puzzles involving red coins, the CP will save all collected red coins, but not the collected key!

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 2

Playing this again reminded me of how sure we were that we would see more game types in the future (because of the blank space):

will-super-mario-maker-2-get-extra-game-

To be fair I was expecting more updates on this game, seeing how active they updated MM1 with fresh content. The updates they have done like Ninji speed run and adding Link are great, but of course I want more! I think what I would like most though is a curated list of levels.

• Like 1

Playing this again reminded me of how sure we were that we would see more game types in the future (because of the blank space):
will-super-mario-maker-2-get-extra-game-styles-open-space-menu.jpg
To be fair I was expecting more updates on this game, seeing how active they updated MM1 with fresh content. The updates they have done like Ninji speed run and adding Link are great, but of course I want more! I think what I would like most though is a curated list of levels.

At this point, if they add extra themes I think they’ll charge for them. Paid DLC packs in the next Direct.

Yeah, I posted a whole list earlier in this thread, and I've more things to add to that list. As for themes, I'd love a SMB2 one, but that would require a change in their set-up. SMB2 levels are structured differently, and 1-1 is impossible to recreate with current restrictions.

There are also those clear conditions from the campaign whihc they "forgot" to implement in the editor. I would love to work with that heavy block.

• Like 1

Been playing the story mode for a while. 

It's fun for what it is, but nothing more. I think it'll be a nice way to get a feel for what can be done with the creator.

Speaking of. In my opinion, the only thing that's needed right now is an overworld creator. Just a simple tool to create an overworld and let people put in 10-15 levels. 

There's another Ninji Speedrun, and once again a fun one. Got it under 23 seconds. Don't think I can get it under 22, but should be enough for gold.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

I actually opened it up and started to build something, but honest to God I had no idea where to even start. Do you have a process or a method or anything like that?

Since I'm going to give a bit of general advice, I'll post it here.

But there are various approaches.

Start with watching all the tutorials, they're helpful and often funny. You can do the campaign for inspiration if you haven't completed it yet. The tutorials will give you 2 basic approaches, one is to start to think of a theme, and design around that, this is what we do in the challenge, or to just start and make it up as you go. I do both depending on the level. Start basic, and also just experiment. Personally, I use the "make it up as you go approach for relatively straight forward levels. I will have a basic idea, and will just start building. If you have a specific idea, you need to build around that, come up with set-ups, and variations on that. This can be anything, so again, just experiment in the editor, and test it out. You ca also just "get stuff out there", and then get our criticism afterwards, you'll know what can be improved.

For now, just start with something simple. Go SMB1 style, try to make a simple level. Stretch out the level to the fullest, but don't use the upper area, and no subareas aside from maybe the optional bonus room. Start with filling the floor all the way to the end, and place gaps here and there, then a few enemies and ? blocks with power-ups. Simple stuff. Go play it, then think, "hmm, how can I make this more interesting?", then you go look at the other stuff. The other elements. Take something that looks interesting to you, place it, and see what it does for you in your level. Try to stick with 1 or 2 specific elements to have some theme going on. Play, watch, experiment, upload, ask for criticism, and learn. And repeat. If you can, ask someone around you to playtest your level, this is VERY helpful.

And just go play some actual Mario to get inspiration. I wanted to make a traditional Ghost House level, so I fired up Super Mario World in the SNES app to see what one looks like again.

And like I said in the challenge thread.. If you really don't know what to do.. You can also just simply play our levels, watch what we do, and learn from the criticism we give each other.

And you can also watch helpful videos like this one:

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

Nintendo just announced the "Final Major Update" for Mario Maker 2, which is due to be released on the 22nd of this month. It looks like it contains a ton of stuff:

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

OMG! World Map Maker! At last!!!

Might well be worth remaking my other Wii U courses after all! Finally! I can actually design courses with progression in mind! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 4:06 PM, drahkon said:

Speaking of. In my opinion, the only thing that's needed right now is an overworld creator.

You're welcome, people :p

Great news. Haven't been playing this as much as I'd liked after finishing the story. Here's hoping I'll finally start dabbling with the course maker. :peace:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am all over world map creator!

Shame I can't recreate all of my WiiU ones, which were somewhat designed with a gradual progression in difficulty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope this comes with a lot of little tweaks not mentioned in the video, but at least, we finally have a world maker!

I know what I'll be doing tomorrow!

.. Same thing as today really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fantastic update, watched that video with a big grin on my face. So creative. 

If it was a choice between a new game theme or a world editor they definitely chose the right option :bouncy:

Love those laser shooting Mechakoopas

• Thanks 1

Been trying to learn shell-jumping for an hour now using a level by GrandPooBear.

Just one shell-jump is difficult enough but the double shell-jump? 45 minutes after having reached the section and I still haven't successfully done it once :laughing: This was my best attempt:

Some failures are just sad...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Haven’t had a chance to play it yet, but you can’t include downloaded courses in your own World?

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised... They’ve gone out of their way to block reuploading other people’s courses as your own, so I don’t know why I thought it would be possible :p 

Just tested, and uploaded a world with my set of tradional SMB1 levels.

But no, you can't used downloaded levels. I can some what understand this, some people may not want their levers included in other worlds. But I've wanted simple playlists of curated levels before, you can use the endless "map" for this, and you can get around the problem by just including a setting if you want to allow people to use your level in their playlists.

More baffling to me is the limit of 5 levels per world. I can't make SMB3 worlds this way.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this