NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Super Mario Maker 2 -- June 2019

Gave the update a quick go yesterday. Spike is a foruntate addition, as I'm working on SMB3 levels. Played around with Pokey and Link as well. Anyway, very disappointing update for builders.. I want much more. Link is very interesting, but requires whole new ideas. I have a few now, but as I'm working on other stuff, I'm not sure when I'll get around to those. Thinking about it now.. I have something to add to my requests.

Did the Ninji challenge.. Until I had a respectable time. Fun seeing Ninjis in the game, and they're helpful when you're exploring routes, but get distracting after that. But you can turn them off.

• Thanks 1

Played a few random levels last night in 2 player, great fun.

However, I think it's insane that the online subscription is required for playing random courses. 

content-4-36074-supermariomaker2version2banner.jpg

Super Mario Maker 2 version 2.0.0 update information roundup

All the relevant info from the past few days on Super Mario Maker 2 plus the original video in one handy article. :D

(aka... a late cut 'n paste effort but it's something for the main page) ::shrug:

Has anyone actually tried out any of the new course elements?

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Cube said:

Played a few random levels last night in 2 player, great fun.

However, I think it's insane that the online subscription is required for playing random courses. 

Why wouldn't it be required? All online connectivity requires the subscription.

Thanks Microsoft.

12 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Has anyone actually tried out any of the new course elements?

I gave the Ninji speedruns a go... 2 hours later, I'm going mad trying to top the leaderboard!

That and I had to check to make sure that the update didn't break my Try Turning it On and Off Again level... thankfully it still works properly! :D 

Got some great ideas for new levels... just gotta see if I can find time and energy to make them now.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Why wouldn't it be required? All online connectivity requires the subscription.

Because things like leaderboards and user created levels are not part of the online subscription on other platforms. 

21 minutes ago, Cube said:

Because things like leaderboards and user created levels are not part of the online subscription on other platforms. 

Your mistake was thinking Nintendo does stuff like other platforms.

• Haha 1

To celebrate over 10 million courses being uploaded to MM2, you can now upload up to a 100 courses to course world:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Anyone in for some friendly competition? Let's say Friday, we think of a theme (not angry sun @londragon), and we have until saturday (or sunday) to create a level based on that theme. Than saturday or Sunday evening we go play eachother's levels. Then we decide on a winner.. who gets a pat on the back. Could also serve as site promotion if we use some #NE hashtags in the description.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Anyone in for some friendly competition? Let's say Friday, we think of a theme (not angry sun @londragon), and we have until saturday (or sunday) to create a level based on that theme. Than saturday or Sunday evening we go play eachother's levels. Thren we decide on a winner.. who gets a pat on the back. Could also sevre as site promotion if we use some #NE hashtags in the description.

I just recently got a copy of the game for my birthday, so I would be up for that.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

I would love to participate in this but that timeframe won't work for me, as my weekend is pretty filled up. Cool idea though!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I would love to participate in this but that timeframe won't work for me, as my weekend is pretty filled up. Cool idea though!

We could have a time limit of 1 week, but I prefer a quicker turn around myself.. But I'm open to suggestions.

14 hours ago, Sméagol said:

We could have a time limit of 1 week, but I prefer a quicker turn around myself.. But I'm open to suggestions.

1 week would work better for me. That's normally how long it takes me to make a level anyway.

What sparked this idea was some kind of challenge I've seen a Mario Maker 2 streamer do. Create a level within an hour. I tried doing that, and while I was a bit liberal with the hour limit, I got something I was mostly happy with in roughly 2 hours (although I'll reupload a new version later with a little bit more polishing). After that I wanted to do another one, asked on Discord for a theme, got "angry sun" from Londragon (so that's the reference above), wasn't happy with the theme or the result at all, couldn't really work with it, but managed to create a working level themed around the angry sun in roughly 3 hours. I really liked the idea of creating levels with a quick turn around, hence the idea. Wasn't really my intention to have a competition for intricate levels, I was going for quick simple levels.

But at the moment it's 2 votes for a one week limit, so..

• Like 1

Oh no, I like the idea of doing it in a short amount of time. It's just that the time frame for this weekend doesn't work for me as the weekend is full.

I'll leave it up to you guys. We can do a another one within a weekend at some other point, for now go with a one week deadline?

What theme do you guys want? With theme I mean some element(s) to build a level around, just one or two, like some enemy and a type of gizmo. That first short level I build was built around skewers and Goomba shoes for example.

Unless anyone wants to throw in other suggestions, I'm going with Donut Blocks & Bob-Ombs. Let's set the deadline at roughly Saturday evening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Unless anyone wants to throw in other suggestions, I'm going with Donut Blocks & Bob-Ombs. Let's set the deadline at roughly Saturday evening.

Fine by me, even if the Bob-omb is one of my least favourite elements of Mario Maker.

But hey, maybe I can implement it in a way that doesn't make me want to throw @Dcubed through the window.

Challenge accepted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Sméagol said:

Could have suggested something else. :p

No, limitations breed creativity.

Flipnote Studio taught me that.

I picked something I could maybe do something with. If there's going to be a next time, I could try to make an actual randomizer, but it's not as simple as putting everything in a list and randomly pick 2 (you probably don't want a theme around 2 enemies, though perhaps maybe you do. And other stuff like that). But I don't want to get ahead of myself, let's see how the first one goes.

Edit: Also, I don't want to enforce strict rules apart from the theme being featured, so you're not limited to those elements.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

Ooh! I've already got some great ideas for this one! :hehe:

I'm in!

I picked something I could maybe do something with. If there's going to be a next time, I could try to make an actual randomizer, but it's not as simple as putting everything in a list and randomly pick 2 (you probably don't want a theme around 2 enemies, though perhaps maybe you do. And other stuff like that). But I don't want to get ahead of myself, let's see how the first one goes.

Edit: Also, I don't want to enforce strict rules apart from the theme being featured, so you're not limited to those elements.

Yeah, I think that having two main elements to focus on is plenty.  And 1 week should be long enough for everyone really.

Hell, you can make some great levels by just focusing on a single idea or element (I've done that plenty of times myself).

Edited by Dcubed

Ok, few things.

1] I neglected and postponed this until it was today. :indeed: I'm working on it now, I think I'm roughly two-thirds done, and I'm liking what I'm working on. Not going to make it too complicated, though it looks to be a bit bigger level than I originally intended. I should be done tonight or tomorrow, let's set the deadline at Sunday evening. Who's still participating? I saw @Dcubed booting up the game.

2] Like I said, I'd like maybe to put some #NE promotion in the description. Something like #NE Mario Maker challenge (n-europe.com).

3] If anyone is still participating, would be cool to wait to upload the level close to deadline, so all levels are available at the same time, and will be played together.

4] I think it could be fun to make this a monthly thing (again, with enough interest), winner could get to choose the next theme.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, @Dcubed is working on his at the mo.

I actually finished mine on Wednesday, but I wanted him to test it before I uploaded. He refuses to do so until he has finished his level first. So that's why I haven't uploaded it yet.

Seeing as you want us to upload it at similar times though, maybe that was a good thing.

Edited by Glen-i

Seemed to make sense to me, since it's a bit of a contest, but it can't always be helped. Can't wait to see your takes tomorrow though!

Sign in to follow this