NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Super Mario Maker 2 -- June 2019

Yeah, that's what I do too, but it's a nice reference, especially for people new to Mario (Maker).

Hey so I got this vague idea about a community made level. By which I mean a level that's made by anyone from NE who wants to get involved. I have some vague idea about it how to go about such a thing, but don't want to go into detail yet. Any people interested in that? We can discuss ideas about it here, and if we're going to do it, we can open a new thread.

One design tip I want to highlight:

The dojo mention this, as well as Takashi Tezuka in his video but:

Have other people around you (that means locally, friends and/or family) play your level. It's easy to dismiss this, but it's incredibly useful. It can be difficult however, of course, if you don't have any people around you who play games. I have my brother, but as he doesn't play too many games anymore, and as I thought I could do things pretty well on my own, I dismissed it. But having a casual player playing your level is actually great. You can see how an average player would play your level, that's great for balancing, but as someone is casually going through your level, you also have more time to notice stuff yourself. I found a softlock in my SMB2 level, one I already actively tried to avoid, even though my brother didn't notice and went about his business. So I went ahead and edited and re-uploaded my level for the 2nd time.

Other design tips:

https://www.gamecrate.com/17-steps-making-good-level-super-mario-maker-2/23501

An old GMTK video:

But he made a new one:

And this guy has similar points:

• Thanks 1

I didn't play the previous MM game, and wasn't sure I wanted this but picked it up at the weekend and have been playing just the story so far.

I bought NSMBU Deluxe in January and I have played the first world and haven't bothered with it since. I have a real fatigue for that style of Mario game at the moment - so the obvious thing to do was buy Mario Maker 2! :p

I have actually been really enjoying it. I watched quite a few YT vids of the early story mode levels and I liked that they were kind of traditional, but also off the beaten track enough to look interesting and challenging. I am about half way through the story mode and I like it a lot. 

I haven't played anyone's creations yet, nor have I attempted to create (not sure how much of that I'll do unless I try it and find myself enjoying it), but it's a fun little game!

I beat the main part of the story mode last night. :D

Now, I've just got to finish the rest of the courses and then... then I'll feel like I can play other peoples courses.  :smile:

It's just that, being that this iteration of Super Mario Maker has a story mode with 100 courses, I feel like I should at least play through them all. :peace:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Played a few versus games for testing purposes.

I actually stole a few wins in a row, unlocking a t-shirt. One game was actually pretty playable with 4 players, and a pretty good level for versus as well.

As for the reason of testing: in hindsight I suspected my 3rd level doesn't play like intended in versus mode. I also raised a question on GameFaqs. It looks like it in fact doesn't play as intended, but it's not as problematic as I suspected.

3 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

Ah, that’s good to see.

Hopefully they keep increasing the limit over time, at least until it matches the number of courses you can save in the Coursebot.

Nintendo know what they're doing. Restrict it to 32 to stop people spamming it, then increase it over time for the serious MM2 players who've stuck around.

16 hours ago, Sméagol said:

How do you people feel about P-Switch jumps?

This is that frame perfect trick when someone puts an on-off switch right above an on-off block, isn't it? You can effectively pull off a double jump if you time it right.

I hate it. Frame perfect tricks should never be mandatory to complete a level. And it's not exactly easy to deduce that you can do it.

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

This is that frame perfect trick when someone puts an on-off switch right above an on-off block, isn't it?

Nope, it's about the P-Switch... :p 

It's actually pretty easy. IIRC Mario stays in contact with the P-Switch for 12 (maybe more) frames after jumping on it and you can jump during 10 of them. 

Edit: It's 15 frames, not 12.

P_Switch_Jump.gif

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Nope, it's about the P-Switch... :p 

It's actually pretty easy. IIRC Mario stays in contact with the P-Switch for 12 (maybe more) frames after jumping on it and you can jump during 10 of them. 

Edit: It's 15 frames, not 12.

P_Switch_Jump.gif

Oh, OK, that's not so bad then.

I still wouldn't make it mandatory.

Yeah that's why I asked. One of my ideas involved a fun set-up for a p-switch jump, but that's heading into kaizo territory. I don't want to go to deep in there myself, but I'm personally fine with P-Switch jumps. And you people already seem to have trouble with my levels as it is.. :p

I'll definitely consider them for Speedrun routes (if you're speedrunning anyway.. Then this will come naturally). But I can't use the set-up mentioned above for that.. So I may just build a level around P-Switch jumps, and just accept it won't be for the NE community, haha.

• Haha 1

Nintendo Switch Online subscription came to an end yesterday which means for now I no longer have access to the world of Super Mario Maker's online functionality. I finished on about 12 uploaded courses which I think will still remain on there. If non-paying users have their levels deleted from online no matter how good or bad they are (I expect Nintendo Quality Control will come in at some point to delete unplayed bad levels.

Might renew in the future and it gives more time to experiement and come up with something good. My attention in this game now turns to trying to beat the Story Mode. I am over 50% completion in regards to rebuilding Princess Peach's Castle so a fair amount of progress made so far. Delved into the hidden areas of the hubworld a bit more as more and more characters show up with their own levels. And I finally unlocked a major new powerup for use in level making. Also, this powerup is used in an amazing level which I played last night though it's on the most starred courses list so chances are you've played it already. It's the Spaceship one.

So I've finished the single player campaign yesterday, including the final Peach level. Onwards to playing some more levels from over here and to unlocking more clothing. It would be nice if the game would tell you the conditions for unlocking them though.

I also came across this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/cjr6lq/the_allinone_character_detector/. Appararently the different characters have a slightly different fire flower trajectory, so it is possible to 1) create a path for different characters and 2) create games that can't be finished by certain characters.

Has anyone come across any (good) creators that do multi-part levels? As in multiple levels that are tied together by a theme or story or mechanic.

2 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

Has anyone come across any (good) creators that do multi-part levels? As in multiple levels that are tied together by a theme or story or mechanic.

Nope.

I hide a Baby Face MPface.gif in every one of my levels though. :laughing: Not much of a theme/story/mechanic I know, but hey, technically it ties multiple levels together. :heh:

• Weird 1

Finally finished the Story Mode after taking a rather long break from the game. That ending is such a troll...

Haven't really been making many levels since my Switch Online sub ended. I'll probably renew it if I ever get really into Mario Maker again but for now this has kind of had it's peak period of interest pass by which is something I find with games that have a seemingly infinite amount of things to do, you naturally grow away from them after a while even though there's a lot of things still left to complete.

The play with friends online update has apparently arrived for this, along with some other changes/improvements. :) 

• Like 1

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/10/you_can_now_play_online_with_your_friends_in_super_mario_maker_2

Course World

Network Play

• Added “Play with friends”
    • You can now play online with friends in either Multiplayer Versus or Multiplayer Co-op modes.
    • You can now select courses uploaded to Course World as well as courses saved to Coursebot.
    • The Nintendo Switch Online mobile app is now supported.
      • You can automatically match online with people that you were matched with via the app, and can voice chat with them.
  • Added features to “Nearby Play”
    • You can now play in Multiplayer Co-op mode as well as Multiplayer Versus mode.
    • You can now select courses uploaded to Course World as well as courses saved to Coursebot.
    • When playing a course saved to Coursebot, the host system doesn’t need to be connected to the internet.
  • Added “LAN Play”
    • Players connected to the same LAN (Local Area Network) can now wirelessly play together.
    • fter selecting Network Play, you can switch to LAN Play mode by clicking in the L Stick and pressing the L or R buttons.
  • If the connection is unstable before Multiplayer Co-op or Multiplayer Versus starts, the match will be cancelled.
  • In Multiplayer Co-op, when everyone chooses “Let’s start over!”, the timer will now be reset.
  • Changed the look of the gauge for S+, the highest rank in Multiplayer Versus.
  • If a player places Builder Boxes after a warp point, other players will now be able to break them and proceed forward.
  • All players will take the same amount of time to move through a Warp Pipe, regardless of the state of their character.
  • After updating to Ver. 1.1.0, you will no longer be able to match with players using Ver. 1.0.1 or lower in Network Play.

Course Info

• You can now select Play Together directly from any course uploaded to a player’s profile.
  • Simplified the display of comments containing stamps in “View comments.”

Maker Profile

• Added a refresh/update button to “Courses uploaded.”
  • Added a list showing a user’s 100 most recent First Clears.
  • Now displays a user’s total number of First Clears.
  • Now displays a user’s total number of world-record times.

Official Makers

• Added a list of Official Makers in Leaderboards.
Course Maker
  • You can now use touch with button controls in handheld mode.
    • You can also go back to touch-only controls from Settings in the Main Menu.
General
  • You can now play with a horizontal Joy-Con in all Game Modes.
    • You can change your controller grip from Settings in the Main Menu.
  • Other issues have been fixed to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.

Sign in to follow this