NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Super Mario Maker 2 -- June 2019

Just did my first online multiplayer session... holy crap! :o Worst lag I’ve ever experienced in a video game, completely unplayable! :shakehead

Check this out:

:hmm: 

Yep, it gets pretty atrocious if one person doesn't have a good connection.

Which is what I expected, really.

And that's why Nintendo won't attempt making their own version of Mario Royale. ;)

Yep, the online is abysmal. Someone always dropped out whenever there was four players and the start timer took forever to get going....

I live in the middle of nowhere and even I have atleast 10mbps.

I've had one multiplayer round and was playing at 1 frame per second for me. It sucked.

There's no easy way to check how many coins you've put in the game, is there?

1 hour ago, GenericAperson said:

Yep, the online is abysmal. Someone always dropped out whenever there was four players and the start timer took forever to get going....

This was exactly the same as the Mario Party online mode. Four players was constantly laggy as hell, with at least one player eventually dropping out/disconnecting.

Very disappointing to hear this is the same. Seeing as I'm not bothered about the creation aspect of the game, the online multiplayer mode was a bit of a selling point to me. I'll continue to hold off from buying the game in the hopes that it improves but seeing as Mario Party never got fixed, I'm not too hopeful. :( 

I don't like his style, but a lot of his videos (some of you posted other videos of him) are interesting.

This is incredibly useful:

I just found out that you can change the character you play as if you go to the settings.

Blue Toad all the way for me now.

I'm pretty sure 50% of the time I've spent making a 3D World forest course has been taken up by just listening to the gameplay music :laughing:

The creator of Towerfall & Celeste has been uploading some levels to SMM2!

Hope we see Nintendo do that thing again where they get different indie developers to make levels for SMM2; loved it when they did that last time! :D 

If you haven't already, you should check out the Yamamura Dojo lessons. The dialogue there is top notch.

I've been enjoying this and its great fun playing through user created levels. The quality does seem a lot better compared to those created in the first game but that may be due to the increased numbers.

The online multiplayer is just absolutely dire. Really frustrating that it the lag just makes it unplayable.

I haven't got a creative bone in my body so i'm looking forward to trying out all of your levels!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Glen-i said:

If you haven't already, you should check out the Yamamura Dojo lessons. The dialogue there is top notch.

Yeah, I've started checking these out now. Great stuff. :)
You can tell the developers wanted to address a lot of the issues that cropped up with user created content in the first SMM, and I think they've done a good job with these lessons.

Anyway, I'm very much enjoying my time with SMM2. Other than the poor online performance (which thankfully seems less frequent now) and the fact that you can't use the D-Pad in the editor when playing in docked mode (WTF, Nintendo? :hmm:) it's basically the perfect sequel. Well... they really need to be sorting out that 32 course upload limit too. Why the hell is there even a limit in the first place? I mean how big do we reckon course data actually is, can't be more than a few KB surely, if that. ::shrug: Smash Bros. Ultimate appears to have no limitation at all (apart from the 15 uploads per day thing) and there's blatantly way more data being handled there with stuff like images and videos.

Quite surprised there's no integration with the Switch Online app too, has there been any mention of a Course World style service being made available at some point? Seems like a no-brainer.

I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of available space. Although ultimately I don't want a limit either, I can see their philosophy being that, with the limit in place, people will have to really think about what they want to upload. Quality over Quantity. I think it helped, as while I haven't played many levels yet, most of the levels I came acrosss in Endless mode were pretty good. None of them were the infamous "hot garbage". I have not seen a single level which just stuff thrown at tme for no reason.

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Why the hell is there even a limit in the first place? I mean how big do we reckon course data actually is, can't be more than a few KB surely, if that.

Keep the spam down, keep the quality high. I think 32 uploads is more than enough for the majority of people tbh.

32 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of available space. Although ultimately I don't want a limit either, I can see their philosophy being that, with the limit in place, people will have to really think about what they want to upload. Quality over Quantity. I think it helped, as while I haven't played many levels yet, most of the levels I came acrosss in Endless mode were pretty good. None of them were the infamous "hot garbage". I have not seen a single level which just stuff thrown at tme for no reason.

17 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Keep the spam down, keep the quality high. I think 32 uploads is more than enough for the majority of people tbh.

I get the thinking behind that, but it’s eventually going to have a negative impact on the longevity of the game, for both players and creators. It’s also just weird that they’ve gone with a limit of 32, when the original allowed for 100. You’d expect it to be the same amount or more for the sequel, not less! When you factor in that we pay for online now it’s even stranger.

Personally, I think they had it right in SMM with the upload limit increasing based on positive feedback. :blank:

Anyway, I’m definitely hoping this is something they will reconsider in a future update. And I reckon they will actually, because once the majority of dedicated creators have used their 32 upload slots the amount of fresh content appearing in Course World is going to drop significantly. I can’t imagine anyone will want to be deleting old uploads in order to post new stuff, and I certainly won’t be doing that. :shakehead

It's nice to see everyone on my friends list is playing this at the moment. I like the sense of community when everyone's playing the same game. Hasn't happened since Smash and Pokémon at the tail end of last year.

I beat the story mode in its entirety. Took around 8 hours or so and only a handful of the levels really challenged me. I'm currently playing other people's stages and will attempt to create my first ever stage shortly.

What I really like about this game compared to New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is that you no longer have to search every nook and cranny of a stage in order to find hidden gold coins and secret exits. That was a right drag after a while.

Edited by Tim B
Added more

More design tips on a Reddit:

I ehh, didn't think it would embed the entire thing, but I'll take it.

• Thanks 2

There is some good advice there and it's a great thing to reference if you're unsure of what theme to use. But I don't think these should be hard rules.

Sometimes, I choose a theme that would fit the aesthetic of whatever stupid idea I've based a level around. Cannon Boos would look stupid in a Sky level, despite the level I made for that being a more athletic kind of affair, so I went with Ghost House. Kinda highlights the absurdity of the idea as well.

Same thing here, I pick whatever makes most sense. For the most part, sometimes I will pick a particular theme in a particular style because I really like the music!

Boss Rushes should be in castles though and underground and castle courses should have natural ceilings. I think 3 of the 8 levels I've made so far have been underground levels simply because I thought that suited the design of the levels the most or that's how I envisioned them. Same idea behind the fact that Easy, Right? was done in the original style.

Sign in to follow this