NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Direct 13/02 10pm (UK time)

I can't process what I just watched. That was one hell of a Direct and certainly worth the wait. Definitely one of the strongest showings in a while, at least for me.

@S.C.G I was the same. As soon as the storm came on the TV all of the rumours from last year about this happening came flooding into my mind. I really marked out when you could just make out the boat in the waves because that pretty much confirmed what it was. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No Prime Trilogy HD leaves me sad....however
OMG Links Awakening Remake looks amazing!

The 2D Zelda was expected, was hoping for a new game but a gorgeous looking remake of Links Awakening I will not say no to. Can't wait!

Astral Chain from Platinum Games looks amazing!

I not played a Fire Emblem game ever but Three Houses has my attention.

The troll at the start with what looked like was gonna reveal SNES Online that turned in Mario Maker 2 was good :)

Hellblade looks great too.

And that new game from Square Enix, Oninaki has my attention too.

Deamon X Machina is one I am hoping will be good...looking for the demo on the eShop but it isn't there yet :(

• Thanks 1

Too much turn-based shit for me. Didn’t really enjoy it... not rating the Switch’s 2019 lineup so far.

• Haha 1

Urgh, they butchered the best Zelda game with those cutesy graphics. :( Horrible decision. 

Astral Chain looks incredible.

The rest does not interest me at all.

Still, apparently it's been a good direct for Switch owners. More games are always good :) 

BTW... Y'all sleeping on the biggest megaton of this Direct...

009.png

WART FINALLY GETS TO STAR IN A NEW GAME!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Weird 1

That has to be the best start and finish to a Nintendo Direct ever! :bouncy:

OK, some of the stuff in between was pretty good too. ;) But yeah, Super Mario Maker 2 and the Link's Awakening remake just look absolutely incredible! :yay:

Super happy right now. :grin:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Urgh, they butchered the best Zelda game with those cutesy graphics. :( Horrible decision. 

The art style is actually very faithful to the original GB/C game!

m8hIHir.png 2261029-ladx-bow-wow.jpg

DzUc1XuXQAIK3eh.jpg

Couldn't really ask for anything more faithful in HD 3D really! The original game was always cutesy looking, that was part of its charm!

Hell they've even preserved the flavour of the cutaway stills with the anime FMV!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dcubed said:

Couldn't really ask for anything more faithful really! The original game was always cutesy looking, that was part of its charm!

For towns I'd agree, but I have to disagree when it comes to the rest. For me there was always a kind of surreal atmosphere and that's missing completely in the remake. It just looks cute and in my opinion it doesn't work. ::shrug: 

Iif others like it, great. But it's not for me, sadly :( 

5 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The art style is actually very faithful to the original GB/C game!

The artstyle is pretty fitting with some of the cutscene artwork and photos.

LA_P_001.png

• Thanks 1

The Nintendo Direct hype train, stopping at: Rejection, Disappointment, Back-stabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway.

Not much in that Direct for me. Mario Maker 2 is nice. Undecided on the Zelda art-style. Don't want to play Link's Awakening again... Platinum's new game looked aweseome. So hyped for Fire Emblem but almost fell asleep during the trailer. No Metroid is disappointing but expected, if they only canceled 4 a few weeks ago, there's no way the absolutely-definite-100%-confirmed HD Trilogy remaster would be close to completion.

"Leakers" can burn in a sea of fire, I'm 70% sure of that.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, RedShell said:

That has to be the best start and finish to a Nintendo Direct ever! :bouncy:

OK, some of the stuff in between was pretty good too. ;) But yeah, Super Mario Maker 2 and the Link's Awakening remake just look absolutely incredible! :yay:

Super happy right now. :grin:

That dog's excitement was very justified! :D 

• Haha 1

content-4-35706-nintendodirect02132019banner.jpg

*clicks fingers*

And here's N-Europe's snappy Roundup of the Nintendo Direct. :D

(Thanks to @Ashley and @Mr-Paul for setting me up with the PR info)

:peace:

• Thanks 1

For all those people waiting for Prime trilogy.. SUCKERS! :p

Super Mario Maker 2 (June 2019) - Must-buy day 1.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - Black Order (Summer 2019)  - Maybe. Could be fun in multiplayer if you guys are getting it.
Box Boy + Box Girl (26-04-2019) - Likely buy. I have always been interested in the Box Boy games, but didn't have a 3DS. Now's my chance.
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Version 3.0 (Spring) - Already bought. Ehm yeah.. Looking forward to Joker, but nothing else to add obviously. :p
Captain Toad: Treasure Trackers DLC (14-03-2019) - Must-buy. Cool! Looking forward to more levels even if I haven't fiished the game yet! :p
Bloodstained: Rituals of the night (Summer 2019) - Must-buy. Was already looking forward to it. Looks good.
Dragon Quest Builders 2 (12-07-2019) - Not going to buy. Dragon Quest Builders 1 demo didn't sell it to me.
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of  an elusive age - Definitive edition (Autumn 2019) - Likely buy. Never was into the series, but must admit it looks good, so think I'll jump in here.
Disney Tsum Tsum festival (2019) - No.
Starlink: Battle for Atlas DLC (April 2019) - Maybe. Looks cool, but I don't have the game yet. is looking less likely now, but you never know.
Rune Factory 4 Special ("later" 2019) - Unlikely. Was always interested in the Rune Factory games, but it looks a bit rough.
Rune Factory 5 ("future") - Maybe. This could be a better option.
Oninaki (Summer 2019) - Likely. Looks and sounds cool. I've been interested in the previous games, I should finally buy one.
Yoshi (29-03-2019) - Buying. Had already decided, and am looking forward to it.
Fire Emblem: Three houses (26-07-2019) - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buying the limited edition day 1.
Tetris Battle Royale 99 (NOW!) - Not for me.
Dead by daylight (Autumn 2019) - Maybe. Reminds me of another game. Could be fun in multiplayer?
Deltarune (28-02-2019) - Unlikely on Switch. Haha that trailer. I have Untertale on Steam but never finished it. If I do, I'll probably get this there.
Daemon X Machina (Summer 2019) - Very likely. Was already looking forward to it. Will try the beta.
GRID Autosport (Summer 2019) - No. Just not for me.
Hellblade: Senua's sacrifice (Spring 2019) - Very likely. Super cool surprise. Have it on Steam, but doesn't run smoothly. Will just double-dip.
Mortal Kombat 11 (23-04-2019) - Maybe. Prefer other fighters, but may get it for support and diversifying my multiplayer library.
Unravel two (22-03-2019) - Unlikely. I ehh don't feel the same hype some others seem to get? Also no online.. I dunno.
Assassing's Creed 3 Remastered (21-05-2019) - Unlikely. Would prefer a port of the latest. It's somewhat cool, but I feel that ship has sailed.
Final Fantasy VII (26-03-2019) - No.
Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon EVERY BUDDY! (20-03-2019) - Unlikely. But I'll look into it.
Final Fantasy IX (NOW!) - Unlikely. But I'll look into it.
Astral Chain (30-08-2018) - Likely. Cool looking new IP. Hoping for some online co-op action!
The legend of Zelda: Link's awakening (2019) - Maybe.  Meh. Way to end a great Direct with a downer. Would have been a cool announcement if it were a new game.

Overall great Direct.

No Aninal Crossing or Luigi's Mansion shown, surprising. Guess they're being held back for E3

Just a pointer for anyone looking at picking up Hellblade when it releases, please do yourself a solid and wear a pair of headphones otherwise you're doing the game a disservice. Likewise, put that Switch in its dock because the resolution on the screen will dilute some of the effect and make it blurry for some of the rune puzzles. I imagine it'll still look great but it'll probably be better played on a TV (with headphones for that binaural sound).

I caught the latter half of the direct and found some of the announcements just odd. The tsum tsum game seems a few years out of place and why Codemasters have decided in bringing Grid Autosport over and not a more recent racer is beyond me. Hell, there's even a more recent Grid Autosport game as it got a sequel. It just smacks of what's the least amount of effort and cheapest thing we can bring to the console. It just looks awful as well as the game stuttered in that trailer and the textures were just really bad compared to the original release. I'd even say porting over Assassin's Creed 3 is a bit weird too if it wasn't coming to the other consoles (albeit it's coming after the other versions again). Black Flag would've been a better choice is gave thought but maybe that's for further down the line.

A lot of JRPG love in the direct which I'm sure is fine for some but not a huge amount of western dev love. Mortal Kombat 11 launching alongside the other versions is a good get but they could still do with some more big western dev support. Perhaps that'll come at E3 as that's probably a better place for that kind of announcement than a direct, where highlighting support from Japanese developers is probably better.

Still, it was a decent enough showing and they've got plenty on the slate coming up for the rest of the year beyond what was shown. So plenty to keep Switch owners playing.

Oh and people should definitely try Unravel 2. While I thought the first one fell flat a bit, I loved the sequel. It just flows so well and the two player dynamic works extremely well (even when you're playing on your own). For the right price, provided it isn't massively more expensive than on other platforms, I'd say go for it.

While I had my breakfast this morning I sat and watched the Direct again. Amazing stuff. We had nearly 30 games shown, around half of which were new announcements, both demos and games being dropped straight after the show and a 2019 line up that should get a lot of people excited. This was essentially an E3 conference. Saying that, it was probably better than any E3 showing they have had in a while, at least for me. The only stinkers in the Direct were Assassin's Creed 3, Dead by Daylight and GRID. They all looked pretty rough, especially the first 2. The framerates were tanking left and right in those games.

Best thing about the Direct? Return of the King, baby!

Img-adventures-captain-toad.png

:D 

• Like 1

Well that was a spectacular direct, even if i won't buy everything or even like some! there was something for everyone and some great announcements!

And Link's Awakening.........WOW i played that game to death on my gameboy, loved it like you wouldn't believe and for a long time it was one of my favorite zelda games, so a completely new remake of it is brilliant! the style felt like a perfect update to the original graphics, my only complaint was the piss holes in the snow for eyes...give link some whites of his eyes please 

• Like 1

Very glad it wasn't 35 minutes of Fire Emblem!

New Star Fox DLC for Starlink was a big surprise, definitely going to get that.

The intro to the Zelda reveal was very nostalgic, still not sure what to think of the art style though.

12 hours ago, Sméagol said:

The legend of Zelda: Link's awakening (2019) - Maybe.  Meh. Way to end a great Direct with a downer. Would have been a cool announcement if it were a new game.

I guess we have to wait another few years at least to get a brand new 2D Zelda game. So disappointing, feels like such a waste of time. First A Link Between World's reused overworld, then the pointless Tri Force Heroes, now another remake.

Super Mario Maker 2.  Never played the 1st, well never owned it but have played it.  Probably will pick this up around launch.  Bloodstained: Rituals of the Night looks interesting, i'll consider a purchase.

Loved the Smash update.  What's coming to 3.0, you'll have to wait.

Assassin's Creed III.  I'm already getting it on PS4 as part of the Odyssey season pass, but that looked terrible on Switch frame-rate wise.  Unraveled two, already own it on PS4 on my backlog.  

Yoshi, i'm already getting.  But a demo is good for those unsure.  Tetris 99, It's addictive, got to the final 17 before being taken out.  Deltarune i was not expecting anytime soon, but nice to see it on Switch this month.

Link's Awakening, nice surprise.  Getting used to how Link looks in the game, but looks nice overall.  Will they keep the shopkeeper "Thief" in, who knows.

That's what i got from the Direct, wasn't bothered too much about the rest.

Well, it looks like that was a brilliant Direct.  I didn't see it, but the amount of news it created was fantastic.

• Link's Awakening DX - A remake of what is definitely, in my opinion, the best 2D Zelda.
  • Fire Emblem - I haven't really paid much attention to the specifics of this entry, but they're always good.
  • Mario Maker 2 - I somewhat wanted to get into this on Wii U, but would much rather relax building levels with it on my Switch.
  • Final Fantasy VII and IX - Nice surprise with the latter.
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2 - A sequel to my favourite Switch game so far.
  • Dragon Quest XI - Brilliant news.  There is simply nothing I'd rather play.

Those alone are enough for me, but with Animal Crossing as well, that makes quite an incredible line-up.

I have a feeling Animal Crossing will end up being delayed till Q1 2020. With Mario Maker as a June release, Fire Emblem in July, AC just doesn't feel like an end of year game to me. I guess it could be August/September but that'd be a crazy short reveal > release schedule.

Edited by Ronnie

I'm amazed that Nintendo allowed Assassin's Creed III to be shown with that terrible framerate. That was not a good showing!

Couple of games I might get. Couple like Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 where I need to see more of it. Something just doesn't look quite right for me.

Marvel's Ultimate Alliance looks like something I may buy. Not that fussed about anything else.