Glen-i

N-Europe Mario Kart League 2019

Plenty of hilarity from tonight!

And... oh God...

As usual, Fresh Prince Night was amazing :peace:

• Haha 4
  • Angry 1

Only a couple from me.

I've got something a little bit special for next week, and by "special", I really mean, "experimental" and you lot know that could be the greatest thing ever, or an utter shambles.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

EETKJM4U4AERhzp?format=jpg&name=large

EETKJMtU8AASrLb?format=jpg&name=large

EETKJM_UcAEoTA0?format=jpg&name=large

HgMnBkM.png

Next League Night: 19th September 8pm

A4bRGu7.png

@Glen-i (Depending on number of players)

@BowserBasher

@viceview51

@martinist

@RedShell

OK, yeah, gonna give an explanation. Pay attention.

Next week, the league will be held on the original Super Mario Kart. You lot can't get out of it because I know you have the SNES Switch Online App because you need an online membership to even play in the league in the first place. So just roll with it.

• Naturally, you can only have 2 players at a time, so you'll be paired with a person who is next to you in the league table. You can't choose the same character as the other person, so try not to kill each other over it.
  • Once I finalise who gets paired with who, you'll need to sort out who is the host in your group.
  • Each group will play through the first three cups on "MarioKart GP" mode on 50cc. I trust you're all competent enough to not run out of lives on that speed.
  • Each group will need to provide screenshots of the end of each race and send them to me.
  • CPU's will affect your scores this week, so aim high.
  • If there's an odd number of people, I'll join in to even the numbers.

I'll post each pairing on Thursday, so if you can declare yourself IN! as soon as possible, that'd be great.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Well this could be a fun league night. Love it. 

This is most certainly a test run. If it's successful, it might show up again in the future.

Of course MK8DX will still be the focus, but this has the potential to help add some variety now and again. Probably like a "once every 3 months" thing.

My biggest worry though is that if lag happens on the SNES online app, it's much more noticeable than if it happens on MK8DX.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

My biggest worry though is that if lag happens on the SNES online app, it's much more noticeable than if it happens on MK8DX.

Maybe if needed a few of us could do some test runs either over the weekend or some evening. 

@Glen-i do we need a small tutorial for setting up the races on Super Mario Kart? I’ve not yet had a chance to play it so not sure of the process. 

11 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

@Glen-i do we need a small tutorial for setting up the races on Super Mario Kart? I’ve not yet had a chance to play it so not sure of the process. 

Right-o.

Spoiler

Yo y'all! I hope you've been practicing on Super Mario Kart, it's a very different feel to MK8DX.

But no matter how much you practice, it's no good if you can't even set up a room for you and your tomorrow opponent tomorrow, so here's the lowdown on how you set up a 2 player room on the SNES Online app and get started on MarioKart GP.

0Oq62HX.jpg

1. First of all, you're gonna want to download the actual app from the eShop, it's free to anyone with an NSO subscription, so you might as well.

JeYz0yP.jpg

2. Look at all those games! Resist the urge to play Super Metroid again and move yourself to the left hand side of the screen.

LXfuu2A.jpg

3. That red bit suddenly grows larger and you get some options for how many people are playing. You want to choose "Play Online"
That'll make the bit on the right appear, what you do next will depend on who is the host (P1) and who is the Guest (P2)

4. If you're the Guest, wait until your host's username appears in the "Join a Friend" table and select them.
Hosts must choose "Play While You Wait" in order to open a room.

XveBWEZ.jpg

5. The host can open a room in two ways. With or without a passcode. Seeing as there's only room for one person to join, I recommend setting a passcode. Make sure you tell your opponent what it is, of course.

6. Once your guest joins in, boot up Super Mario Kart in the way the following video shows.

7. You did it!

Spoiler
  • The controls are a little bit different to modern Mario Kart. Here's a picture I crappily edited in MS Paint with a mouse!

EZbAP6v.jpg

• You can't reverse in this game, instead you'll have to repeatedly hop on the spot with L or R to turn around if you smack face first into a wall.
  • If you finish below 4th place, you'll lose a life, you only have 4, and you really don't want to be the person who doesn't even finish a GP.
  • At least one player has to finish 4th or better to progress to the next race. Failure to do so will result in both of you losing a life and having to start that track again.
  • Red Shells make a beeline for the racer in front of you, so if you can't see them, they won't work. They're kinda crap like that.
  • Feathers, on the other hand, are broken beyond belief. They jump over everything! It's quite possible to skip half a lap if you're clever enough.
  • Coins do exactly the same thing as in MK8DX, you max out your speed with 10. The only difference here is you can actually carry more than 10, which is useful.
  • There are 8 characters in SMK, but there's only 4 catagories between them. This means if someone else picks your favourite character, there's still another character who plays exactly the same.
  • Mario & Luigi are the standard performance ones. They have good top speed and OK accleration. It's worth noting that they are the worst choice for Choco Island and Koopa Beach, so be careful.
  • Peach and Yoshi have high accleration and OK top speed. They have some of the worst handling of the 4 catagories, which makes them atrocious on Vanilla Lake.
  • Bowser and Donkey Kong Jr are the heavyweights, and therefore have amazing top speed, but dreadful accleration. The punishment for messing up is really severe with them. Use them in Donut Plains at your own peril.
  • Toad and Koopa Troopa have the lowest top speed and only manage good accleration. But they make up for it with their fantastic handling. They excel in all of the off-road tracks, so they're great for beginners or capitilising on difficult tracks. However, steer clear of Bowser and DK Jr. They'll bounce you all over the place.
  • If a Monty Mole gets attached to your kart, repeatedly press the L or R button to shake them off.
  • Beware of Bowser Castle 3 in Star Cup, there's a very possible chance that the 4 Thwomps after the halfway mark will all drop at the same time, making it impossible for you to get past until they get out of your way. And you thought Blue Shells were unfair!

Seeing as I can't be in every room to adjudicate the results, I'll need each room to take a picture of all 15 end of race results. When I say that, I mean this kind of thing.

EEwcAN3UUAEvg18?format=jpg&name=small

Of course, you'll have to tell me who was who as well.

If you somehow miss it, quickly record a video by holding the capture button, there's an option to save a screenshot from a video, so you can save yourself some embarrassment that way. Just to be safe, both players should try and remember to do it.

Try and use a wired connection if possible. SNES Online App is much more prone to lag issues than MK8DX, due to SNES games not being built for online play.

Oh, and avoid pausing mid-game if possible, it's pretty unsportsman-like. Ram your opponent off the track though, that's totally fine.

And with all that out of the way.

Next League Night: Tonight 8pm

A4bRGu7.png

Room 1

@BowserBasher VS @RedShell

Room 2

@martinist VS @Dcubed

Room 3

@viceview51 VS @S.C.G

I'll leave each pair to sort out who will host.

I will have to sit out of this one, (although I'll defo be watching Room 2) that is, unless someone joins in at the last minute and forces me to reorganise.
That means these rooms are not final and subject to change. So check before the night starts.

I think that covers everything.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Since I live quite far away, maybe it's better for my rival @S.C.G to host.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, viceview51 said:

Since I live quite far away, maybe it's better for my rival @S.C.G to host.

In that case, I'll open a room at around 19:58 which is around my standard joining time for the league. :D

See you at just before 8PM rival @viceview51 :cool:

It'll be fun, especially if my game with Glen the other week is anything to go by :p I'm not that practiced at Super Mario Kart, but I'm alright at it I reckon. :peace:

• Haha 1

We’ve been spoiled by how tight and awesome MK8 Deluxe is. I can’t believe how different SMK plays. It’s gonna be a fun night. 

With less than 20 minutes to go, I'm gonna say that I won't be accepting any last minute declarations of INness, it's far too late for me to reorganise all the pairings now.

Have fun, and don't forget to record the end results of each race.

• Thanks 1

We’ve been spoiled by how tight and awesome MK8 Deluxe is. I can’t believe how different SMK plays. It’s gonna be a fun night. 
Thought that I still had reflexes from almost thirty years ago. I've been zig zagging all around the circuits...

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Whenever this has happened before, it has taken me a while to get the dock working again.

I'm working on it though.

• Like 1

The dock is refusing to power on with either power adapter, it did this before... works great for ages, then breaks spectacularly if the unit is wobbled at all, I was trying to take a picture of the reults screen shile docked on the joy-con while using a gamecube controller.

Might have to leave it and chalk you up a win, a shame because I was looking forward to playing all the GP's. :(

I don't suppose anyone else is available to take my place?

Edited by S.C.G