NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Brexit - UK negotiates a deal

Yes, a lot has changed since we were last in this thread.  Any kind of Soft Brexit has been ruled out, I think, and either the hard Leavers or hard Remainers will probably win completely in the end.

The Lib Dems did well in the local elections, and we'll find out tomorrow how well they did in the European elections.  It looks like the Brexit Party will win outright, but it'll be interesting to count the "hard Leave" vote (Brexit Party, UKIP) versus the hard Remain vote (Lib Dems, Greens, Change UK).

As for the prime minister, I've long thought Dominic Raab would be the next Conservative leader.  At a time like this, I think we will go back to that tribal thing of wanting a leader who seems the toughest (reminds me of Asterix and the Big Fight, where they literally sent their chiefs to fight!) Not that I necessarily endorse him, but I think instinct will kick in.  He had a lot to say about being thwarted as Brexit Secretary, so let's see what he can do now there's nothing in his way.

Who knows where it will end though?  If the EU stick to what they said and won't renegotiate the Withdrawal Agreement, we'll have to leave with No Deal or Revoke.  I keep hearing there's no way Parliament will allow us to leave without a deal, and will force a revocation if it comes to that, but whether that's actually true I don't know.

Can Parliament force a revocation? I'm now vaguely aware that they can wrestle control from the government, but are they actually able to push legislation through without the governments say? I guess it would only take a few conservative rebels to give a majority to any such move, just didn't realise that was actually possible.

So googled a bit and apparently it is possible, but would require at least 50% of parliament to work together... and given the last few months (well.. years now) I don't think that seems too likely...

On 24/05/2019 at 9:30 PM, Pestneb said:

Clegg (sure he was deputy but "let's scrap student fee's... oh, now I'm in power... well ok then, let's triple them!")

And his complete loss of all the morals he previously claimed to have since going to Facebook.  What a spineless power-seeking little shite he turned out to be.

So a lot more has changed, avoiding No Deal is now enshrined in Law but there’s been suggestion Boris will ignore it, we’ll see come Oct 19th.

By 23:30 tonight the Government need to release the Yellow Hammer docs, emails & all messaging to show the Government findings on No Deal.

...and as we wrap up Boris’ first week as PM I’d just like you to imagine what the Media uproar would’ve been like had it been Corbyn who, in his first week as PM:

• lost his first 6 Commons votes
• lost his majority
• tried to set up .gov.uk websites to harvest users data
• unlawfully prorogued Parliament
• implicated the Queen in an unlawful act
• has not ruled out breaking the law with regards to the No Deal (the Ben Bill) Law

Edited by Kav
  • Like 2

Yeah, but we protected our democracy though...

...with a leader no one elected...

...who booted out everyone we did elect...

... with help from a queen who has served for decades, which no one has ever had a say on.

Power to the people indeed.

• Like 3

This is an absolute shitshow and a waste of about 4 years. There are STILL no credible plans for leaving. The original leave date was the end of March, yet there are still no processes in place now. There's still nothing on the Irish border for example. It is the duty of our own government to actually show something credible with how "Leaving can work" and not to just point fingers to blame the other side. I have not seen anything tangible to suggest that the country will be in a superior position once we leave the EU compared to staying in it. Where's the evidence that this is in our best interests? 

I find it slightly/very amusing that we seemingly want to give more power to our Government or "take back control" of this and that, yet the people that continuously get into power don't actually have a fucking clue what to do with it. Some of the gaffes that have been made over the last few years and the lack of expertise shown by our officials is downright poor. Is this really the best our country can muster or do? 

I fully expect Boris Johnson to just attempt to do whatever he wants, whether he succeeds or fails. The rules don't apply to him. It is also rather sickening how he is "lovingly" referred to by some as "Boris" in single name only, as if he is some cuddly pet or loveable rogue or harmless friend of the family. That could not be any further from the truth. This man will lie and cheat to get his own way. 

• Like 2

Really all the mp's who passed the vote allowing article 50 are to be blamed, at least partially. They should have declined until the government had called cross party talks, so that everyone could be involved. Then the impasse would have been far less high stakes, almost as frustrating, but it would have given far more control to the UK. Passing article 50 before the ge (that's how May did it isn't it?)  was dumb to the extreme, at the very least it should have been triggered with the mp's who would actually be in parliament when it ought to have been passed. I think parliament should take control of parliament on Oct 20th and cancel Brexit if Johnson has no credible plan.

On the plus side, like what Johnson did with student Visa's, hope he continues rolling back TM's dumb home office immigration laws.

Edited by Pestneb

I do wonder how the brexiteers will spin the Yellowhammer report as 'project fear' when its a report produced by their darling savior  good o'le Boris and it paints a very bleak picture thats in some ways worse than all the information previously dismissed as 'project fear'

Honestly its an utter shit show and i cannot believe how badly its going, it needs the government deposing and article 50 rescinding until actual plans are developed and not just "Have some faith in great britain" or "we can be great like before Europe"

34 minutes ago, Agent Gibbs said:

I do wonder how the brexiteers will spin the Yellowhammer report as 'project fear' when its a report produced by their darling savior  good o'le Boris and it paints a very bleak picture thats in some ways worse than all the information previously dismissed as 'project fear'

They'll ignore it whenever possible.

It's absolutely astonishing how much people will back their initial choice no matter how bad things look. But that's just how this age of social media is. People stick to their guns in the face of overwhelming contradictory evidence. Because admitting you're wrong is hugely embarrassing, apparently.

Part of me wants the UK to leave without a deal just to see what chaos ensues. Is the 'golden era' these deluded Brexiteers are clamouring for the Britain of the second world war? The rancor the whole affair has stirred up really could result in the worst disruption to our society since the early 40's. The Government doesn't seem capable of learning for its mistakes, it's only been getting worse over the last few years and this past week has been absolutely appalling - Boris trying everything to turn the country into a dictatorship. 

Part of me wants the UK to leave without a deal just to see what chaos ensues. Is the 'golden era' these deluded Brexiteers are clamouring for the Britain of the second world war? The rancor the whole affair has stirred up really could result in the worst disruption to our society since the early 40's. The Government doesn't seem capable of learning for its mistakes, it's only been getting worse over the last few years and this past week has been absolutely appalling - Boris trying everything to turn the country into a dictatorship. 
That's what I used to be like, but reading Project Yellowhammer has made me realise how awful it will likely be, and how some people may actually die because of it (medicine shortages, energy bills increasing etc).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bob said:

That's what I used to be like, but reading Project Yellowhammer has made me realise how awful it will likely be, and how some people may actually die because of it (medicine shortages, energy bills increasing etc).

Oh it's absolutely just my sadistic side that is interested to see society completely fall apart. I wholeheartedly hope it never comes to that but with Boris at the helm the worst outcome seems a worryingly real possibility. 

Prorogation deemed unlawful!

Parliament technically still in session!

BoJo still won't resign!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Seems really off to me. Not the decision, just the "vibes" in the UK. I just really hope things are sorted by 31st October, though I think there's more chance winning the Lottery 10 times in a row.

Surprised Johnson seems intent on keeping on going. EU response seems fairly triumphant, I think they see May's deal (or revoking article 50) as significantly more likely than No deal now.

• Like 1

It's hilarious to Bojo made a fuck up by saying Prorogation is doing with the upcoming Queen's Speech not Brexit before the Scottish and UK Supreme Court. Now he is saying their verdict on Prorogation is gonna affect Brexit. 🙄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DriftKaiser said:

It's hilarious to Bojo made a fuck up by saying Prorogation is doing with the upcoming Queen's Speech not Brexit before the Scottish and UK Supreme Court. Now he is saying their verdict on Prorogation is gonna affect Brexit. 🙄

Yes. Premier Johnson likes to contradict himself each sentence. The truth and following the law seem a bit much for him.

Its crazy that the stars are aligned for Brexit. Its easy. Yet the conservative party is a joke. This Johnson guy is focused on becoming a dictator for some reason. Trump/strongman wannabe.

Its crazy that the stars are aligned for Brexit. Its easy.

Come again?

• Like 1

BoJo? Never heard that. But unfortunately, someone was faster than me with this:

apmeYg8_700bwp.webp

Brexit is pure comedy. For an outsider, at least.

• Haha 1

On 25/09/2019 at 9:18 AM, bob said:

Come again?

To clarify. It isnt simple anymore because the brexit bunch have messed up. They ran the clock down. Deal or no deal they still have to negotiate and do 'a lot' of work.

edit: They dont seem to be very capable so far... Johnson also should resign given his behaviour, disregard for democracy and the law.

Edited by Choze

Mr BoJangles will continue doubling down on his rhetoric that he's on the people's side in a "People Vs Establishment" war and people will lap it up because a lot of people won't want to admit that they might have been misled and the fact that our Prime Minister has spent most of his life creating this "Lovable Buffoon" persona and people just lap it up.

Basically, it's this, except it's way more real, way more serious and way less funny.