Yes, a lot has changed since we were last in this thread.  Any kind of Soft Brexit has been ruled out, I think, and either the hard Leavers or hard Remainers will probably win completely in the end.

The Lib Dems did well in the local elections, and we'll find out tomorrow how well they did in the European elections.  It looks like the Brexit Party will win outright, but it'll be interesting to count the "hard Leave" vote (Brexit Party, UKIP) versus the hard Remain vote (Lib Dems, Greens, Change UK).

As for the prime minister, I've long thought Dominic Raab would be the next Conservative leader.  At a time like this, I think we will go back to that tribal thing of wanting a leader who seems the toughest (reminds me of Asterix and the Big Fight, where they literally sent their chiefs to fight!) Not that I necessarily endorse him, but I think instinct will kick in.  He had a lot to say about being thwarted as Brexit Secretary, so let's see what he can do now there's nothing in his way.

Who knows where it will end though?  If the EU stick to what they said and won't renegotiate the Withdrawal Agreement, we'll have to leave with No Deal or Revoke.  I keep hearing there's no way Parliament will allow us to leave without a deal, and will force a revocation if it comes to that, but whether that's actually true I don't know.

Can Parliament force a revocation? I'm now vaguely aware that they can wrestle control from the government, but are they actually able to push legislation through without the governments say? I guess it would only take a few conservative rebels to give a majority to any such move, just didn't realise that was actually possible.

So googled a bit and apparently it is possible, but would require at least 50% of parliament to work together... and given the last few months (well.. years now) I don't think that seems too likely...

On 24/05/2019 at 9:30 PM, Pestneb said:

Clegg (sure he was deputy but "let's scrap student fee's... oh, now I'm in power... well ok then, let's triple them!")

And his complete loss of all the morals he previously claimed to have since going to Facebook.  What a spineless power-seeking little shite he turned out to be.