GenericAperson

Your 2019 Gaming Diary

With another month over, here are the games I played.

• Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)
  • I Am Setsuna (PS4)
  • Wario Land: Shake Dimension (Wii/WiiU)
  • Control (PS4)
  • Tales of Beseria (PS4)
  • Gears of War Ultimate (Xbox One)
  • Gears of War 2 (Xbox One)
  • Super Lucky’s Tale (Xbox One)

It was a bit of a slow month but that was to be expected given that I played 3 long JRPGs. I'll speak about a few of the games I played. As for the others, I spoke about them in other threads on the forum.

I am Setsuna was a game that I started back in 2017, got a couple of trophies and but then dropped it pretty quickly after that. I found the setting to be bland and the story to be very generic. I was looking for a JRPG to play through and decided to give the game another chance so I started the game again. I'm happy that I did because I ended up really enjoying the game. Yeah, the story is a rip off of Final Fantasy X, and the snow setting does get a little tiresome, but the battle system is really something special. It's one of those systems where you can pretty much glide through the game without putting much thought into it but when you do learn how it works then you can decimate anything in your path. Going for the platinum, which I did nab, meant learning these systems and in doing so I had so much fun coming up with new attacks and combos. It's just a shame the snow setting is overused in the game because when you do get a glimpse of something new, which only happens right at the end, the game world can look beautiful.

After playing through 2 JRPGs in a row I needed a pallet cleanser. I always find a 2D platformer is a good genre for this so I had a look on the shelves and picked out Wario Land: The Shake Dimension.

Spoiler

EDcNFDgWsAACb6o?format=jpg&name=360x360

EDcNFDfW4AABnZi?format=jpg&name=360x360

EDcNFDgXkAEd7Uu?format=jpg&name=360x360

EDcNKhXX4AE-C9o?format=jpg&name=360x360

EDcNKhcWkAAN8n8?format=jpg&name=360x360

EDcNKhfW4AAe8bf?format=jpg&name=360x360

EDcNKhjXsAEUf0Y?format=jpg&name=360x360

Seeing as this was completely snubbed in the N-E Wii line up ( shame on you ) and the fact that I haven’t played through this game since it launched back in 2008, I figured now was a good time to revisit it. Man, this game still holds up. The animations are gorgeous, the fantastic challenge of completing each of the levels tasks and the fast paced, speed running at the end of each of the levels, all made for a stupidly enjoyable experience. I honestly forgot how much I loved the game and this was a pleasant reminder. I feel that this game got pretty hard done by when it was first released. People were spouting the narrative that the Wii already had too many 2D games platformers ( you can NEVER have enough good 2D platformers ) and because it didn’t play like a traditional platforming game, many just disregarded it. To this day it still annoys me that something like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, a game that’s good in its own right but is pretty budget looking a quite safe, was praised left and right and sold by the bucket load and yet this went on to only be enjoyed by those who gave it a chance.

Tales of Beseria was another JRPG that I started back in 2017, got a couple of trophies and then called it quits for some strange reason. I decided to start the game again and get it off my backlog and boy am I happy that I did this. This has easily became my favourite ever Tales of game and the party that you gather on your adventures has to be one of the best in any JRPG that I have played. Playing as the anti-heroes is such a breath of fresh air and despite most of them being kinda the bad guys, each of them are very lovable. I honestly loved them all to bits and even side characters like Zaveid were so well wrote that they could have easily fit into the main cast. Every character had a fantastic story arc and none of them were really left on the sidelines. Violet's thirst for revenge, Laphi/Phi trying to find himself, Rokurou's obsession to defeat his brother, Eizen's search for Aifread, Eleanor trying to cope with what side she is really on and Magilou's relationship with the Abbey were all so well done. 

I'm actually still playing the game. I finished the main story after 50 hours of play time but i'm currently on close to 70 hours as i'm trying to mop up all of the trophies, which will take quite a while to pull off. I've done all the side quests so now it's just a question of doing things like grinding to level 200, finding chests to unlock, getting the shop levels to their highest. Basically all of the grindy ones i've left until the end so that I can just pick away at them in between other games. I did already nab the only missable trophy so that will at least save another play through.

Oh and the opening animation was something I watch EVERY time I fire the game up. Tales of Abyss finally got dethroned as having my favourite Tales opening.

Easily one of my favourite games I have played this year.:bowdown:

In the run up to the release of Gears 5 i've been playing through the other Gears of War games I started off with Gears of War Ultimate and then pretty much went straight to Gears of War 2. It's crazy the jump in quality that happens between first and second games. The second game adds more guns, more enemies, better set pieces and fleshes the story out more. Playing them back to back you can see that the first game was very experimental and Epic were just finding their feet. It was fun playing through the second game again. I don't think i've played through that since the run up to Gears of War 3 back in 2011.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)
  • I Am Setsuna (PS4)
  • Wario Land: Shake Dimension (Wii/WiiU)
  • Control (PS4)
  • Tales of Beseria (PS4)
  • Gears of War Ultimate (Xbox One)
  • Gears of War 2 (Xbox One)
  • Super Lucky’s Tale (Xbox One)

It was a bit of a slow month

IT WAS A BIT OF A SLOW MONTH

d349e5ecd55cbebd72648e5e114bfacc.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My Slay the Spire journey continues.

Unlocked everything with the second character and I've started playing with the third. Well...this one is a completely different affair. He (or rather it) has a new mechanic to play around with and it's glorious. Still haven't gotten the hang of it, though. :D 

In other news, I've finally started with MatterfallHousemarque's final arcade-shooter (:cry:). It seems to be a very short affair if you only go for one playthrough as it only has 9 levels and 3 bosses spread over 3 worlds. :blank:
I've beaten the first world. The game immediately bombards you with, I assume, every mechanic/move there is and it's overwhelming. It hasn't entirely clicked, yet, but I've gotten better over time. Seems to be fun, but definitely not Housemarque's best. Considering its probable short length, I'm happy to have only paid 6€. If it was 6 bucks well spent...we'll see.

Diablo 3 is done for now. I've reached level 70 with two characters and one of them is equipped insanely good. I'll leave it at that. Maybe I'll come back next season. Great game, glad I've spent aprox. 200h with it on PS4 (I played already it when it was released on console) :) 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 8:40 PM, drahkon said:

Seems to be fun, but definitely not Housemarque's best.

Now that I'm done with the game, I can say that this is easily the most apt description I can give. Matterfall is solid, but nothing more. Maybe if I took the time to master it, I'd be able to rank it higher, but I just don't want to spend my gaming time with mastering an arcade shooter these days.
The game had its moments, though. Occasionally I moved with incredible precision and everything just...worked out perfectly. Very fun. :) 

Here's something I thought I'd never say: I started playing a mobile game today. On my new smartphone. :D Well...at least, it's not one of those "free-to-play, spend 800 bucks on in game currency" affairs. It is, however, a free game. DATA WINGS. Here's how it plays: 

Spoiler

It's a nice, relaxing game with a pretty cool narrative, so far. I'm actually very intrigued by it. 

I've also bought The Room 3 and The Room Old Sins with money I earned via Google Surveys. I've played the first two installments on a friend's phone quite some time ago. I instantly fell in love with the puzzles and mystery. 

Looking at my backlog app I'm quite happy with the year, so far. 18 games completed. I've only put 3 games that I started this year on hold, i.e. in the "backlog" section of the app (Dead CellsEVERSPACEWipeout Omega Collection). Not sure if I'll finish them this year, but we'll see.
In the "playing" section there's now DATA WINGS and Monster Hunter WorldSlay the Spire I'll keep playing, but I've also finished it, kind of... :D 

• Thanks 1

Slay the Spire's third character...good lord.

Spoiler

The Defect

It starts with 3 "orb slots" that you can fill with...orbs. These have a passive ability which activate at the end of your turn, and an ability which you can evoke (either via a special card, or by "pushing" the orb out of the three...if all of your slots are full and you channel another orb, the first orb is evoked) There are four types:

• Lighting - passive: deal 3 damage to a random enemy; evoke: deal 8 damage to a random enemy
  • Ice - passive: gain 2 block; evoke: gain 5 block
  • dark - passive: increases the dark orb's power by 6; evoke: deal damage to a random enemy
  • plasma - passive: gain 1 energy (what you need to play cards); evoke: gain 2 energy

You can also deal direct damage or gain block directly via other cards, of course.

What makes The Defect so difficult in my opinion: Its inability to deal lots of burst damage. You need to ensure that you don't take damage most of the time instead of dealing damage yourself every turn. It's something that hasn't clicked with me, yet.

I did, however, reach a final boss, just now but my deck wasn't particularly suited for that fight. 

Definitely a GOTY contender for me.

In other news: Reached a new area in Monster Hunter World. :D Think I'll go and farm some materials to craft better armor :peace: 

Quadruple post? Yes, yes it is. :p 

You guessed it...it's about Slay the Spire.

I did it :cool: Beat the game with the third character. Had an amazing deck which essentially let me have enough block to sustain any hit from anyone if battles lasted at least 2-3, which they always do :D 

Now to unlock something that I have no idea how to unlock...I assume this will take me at least another 27 hours of play time. And once I've unlocked and beaten this, whatever it is, it's time to do "ascensions". Each ascension changes one thing about a run (e.g. normal enemies are more deadly). 

Oh boy...getting the Platinum will be tough :laughing: 

17 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Quadruple post? Yes, yes it is. :p 

You guessed it...it's about Slay the Spire.

I did it :cool: Beat the game with the third character. Had an amazing deck which essentially let me have enough block to sustain any hit from anyone if battles lasted at least 2-3, which they always do :D 

Now to unlock something that I have no idea how to unlock...I assume this will take me at least another 27 hours of play time. And once I've unlocked and beaten this, whatever it is, it's time to do "ascensions". Each ascension changes one thing about a run (e.g. normal enemies are more deadly). 

Oh boy...getting the Platinum will be tough :laughing: 

I'm not going to bother with ascensions (much). I'll try to get the "normal ending" at one point, but for now I had my fun with it. I forgot what my (succesful) decks were (though obviously I can simply check). I found the robot guy to be the hardest to get to grips with. Tried several things, but couldn't get it to work. I think in the end I suddenly bashed everyone with a build that gave me ridiculous amount of energy, using those plasma orbs. My turns lasted for a while near the end.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

Holy cow, it's been a busy two months! It certainly doesn't help that I had a bit of a FE Heroes relapse (they added a Summer Lyn and Gala Suit Eliwood, what was I supposed to do!?), but still, very little time to dedicate to gaming.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

World of Light

smash-ultimate-world-of-light.jpg

Despite me dedicating so much time to Smash bros. this year, I hadn't actually beat the WoL. But due to my hectic schedule, a bit of this every night was the only thing I had any mental energy I was willing to dedicate to.

Turned out to be a lot of fun. Tried out different spirit setups, got to see several cool spirit fights, loved the throwbacks to different games I kept seeing, and I liked how the different themes come together by the end. Plus, I unlocked that Duck Hunt achievement, so I'm pretty happy with myself. Only thing missing is to complete the skill tree, which is a total slog. Might eventually play New Game+ for that, maybe not.

Oh, and I used Hero a lot in this mode. Which brings us to...

Dragon Quest III

dragon-quest-iii-random-pn.jpg

I mean, I've been posting a log of sorts in this thread. You can check my thoughts and impressions there. There are actually two post-game dungeons: a SNES one, which I will do, and a GBC exclusive one, which I'll skip because it depends on a useless, grindy GBC mechanic that I've been ignoring.

The basic gist of it is that it's a highly enjoyable RPG, even to this day. Sure, the novelty of it has worn off, and its look isn't exactly groundbreaking anymore, but good design lasts forever. This has been a very illuminating experience for me regarding the history of JRPGs, and if you ever manage to get your hands on the original trilogy (coming to the Switch in Asia), I recommend giving them a whirl.

My 2019 log (Hide contents)

Played/Beat/Completed:

-Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (1994) Completed (January 30th)

-Dr.Mario (1990) Completed, I guess (March 18th)

-Furi (2016) Beat (May 1st)

-Noitu Love 2: Devolution (2008) Beat (May 9th)

-Fairune (2014) Completed (May 12th)

-Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (2003) Julius Mode (May 18th)

-Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (2005) Beat (May 31st)

-Chase: Cold Case Investigations ~Distant Memories~ (2016) Completed (June 6th)

-Adventures of Lolo (1989) Completed (June 8th)

-Severed (2016) Completed (June 24th)

-Crypt of the Necrodancer (2015) Beat (June 27th)

-One Night Stand (2016) Completed (June 28th)

-Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia - Rise of the Deliverance (2017) Completed (June 29th)

-Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: World of Light (2018) Beat (August 20th)

-Dragon Quest III (1988) Beat (September 9th)

Currently Playing:

Will always be Playing:

-Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

-Snipperclips

Dropped/Hiatus

-Tetris 99 (2019) Never won

-Super Mario Bros. DX (1999) Bad port

-Fire Emblem Awakening (2012) Hiatus

-Fire Emblem Heroes (2017) Need a heavy break

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

Had a quick look.. In case you're interested:

I did get lucky though. I find robot dude's starting artifact not that useful compared to the other 2.. So it's the only one I tend to exchange for a boss relic when I get the opportunity at the start.. This time that got me a Black Star right from the beginning, that's insane.

Edit: I see they're working on a 4th character.
Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Quite the strong deck. Charge Battery is amazing. So is Echo Form, if you can make it work. 

Interesting decision to replace the starting relic with a random boss relic. Worked out great for you, though. Black Star right at the start is insane :D 

9 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Edit: I see they're working on a 4th character.

They sure are. Can't wait :D I've been following the reddit to see how people get along with her.

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, drahkon said:

Quite the strong deck. Charge Battery is amazing. So is Echo Form, if you can make it work. 

Interesting decision to replace the starting relic with a random boss relic. Worked out great for you, though. Black Star right at the start is insane :D 

They sure are. Can't wait :D I've been following the reddit to see how people get along with her.

Looking forward to that update then. Together with @GenericAperson posts about cardgames, I'm getting that itch again. @GenericAperson, you should look into this game if you haven't already.. Just a one-time purchase, and single player experience, but plenty of deckbuilding.

• Like 1

Spoiler

I've reached what I assume is the final act. It has one bonfire, a shop, an elite fight and then the boss, which is the heart. 

Well...let's see how it'll turn out eventually. I've decided to take a break and get on with the run later tonight or tomorrow. 

Edit: It went really well...

source.gif

I died...didn't get close to the end :D But hey, I unlocked everything with the third character. Which means: It's back to the Ironclad and truly finish the game with him.

Edit: Reached...

Spoiler

...the Corrupt Heart, i.e. the ultimate boss in the game...and...it's insanely difficult? 

Checked the web and it is supposed to be an optional boss, i.e. one that you should only fight if your deck can handle it. Alright. Will keep that in mind. For now I think I'm just going to play some more normal runs without focusing on the heart and instead just learn the game/cards/relics/synergies/enemies/etc.

Edited by drahkon

Definitely interested in getting Slay the Spire sometime. Only problem is that I still need to finish Mario Maker 2's Story Mode... But in my current mood it seems like a game that would be right up my alley.

Meanwhile, on Magic Arena (PC) I've been testing a new decklist that would be in line with my real life deck except with a few changes based on intended purchases. These came after playing a few games against friends and the deck's inherent weaknesses showed itself, also because of the advice of a certain Dutchman... I've realised that anything that isn't a creature needs to be low cost in this kind of strategy, that way you can use multiple spells in a single turn and that there also needs to be a creature in the deck that benefits permanently from using them, not just "until the end of the turn". So I came up with this:

EELACb0WkAE8nmx.png

I replaced some cards with their functional equivalents on Arena, since I built the deck off of a 2016 Starter Deck but only really added through Standard since that was the cardpool I was becoming familiar with playing on Arena. So the two Sure Strikes and the Storm Strike are Brute Strength in real life and Citywatch Sphinx is Sphinx of Magosi in real life. The big addition is Crackling Drake, who's power is determined by how many instant and sorcery spells are in the graveyard or in exile, so the intention is that it keeps getting stronger.

34 minutes ago, GenericAperson said:

But in my current mood it seems like a game that would be right up my alley.

You should, however, keep in mind that Slay the Spire has RNG elements in place. 

On 9/2/2019 at 8:57 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Tales of Beseria was another JRPG that I started back in 2017, got a couple of trophies and then called it quits for some strange reason. I decided to start the game again and get it off my backlog and boy am I happy that I did this. This has easily became my favourite ever Tales of game and the party that you gather on your adventures has to be one of the best in any JRPG that I have played. Playing as the anti-heroes is such a breath of fresh air and despite most of them being kinda the bad guys, each of them are very lovable. I honestly loved them all to bits and even side characters like Zaveid were so well wrote that they could have easily fit into the main cast. Every character had a fantastic story arc and none of them were really left on the sidelines. Violet's thirst for revenge, Laphi/Phi trying to find himself, Rokurou's obsession to defeat his brother, Eizen's search for Aifread, Eleanor trying to cope with what side she is really on and Magilou's relationship with the Abbey were all so well done. 

It's currently on sale for 10€. I've been juggling Monster Hunter World and Sekiro for the past few days. I'm not sure if I enjoy Sekrio, though, and I've always been interested in Tales of Berseria. Think it's time to put Sekiro away and replace it with my first Tales game since Tales of Vesperia back in 2009 (fuck me, that's 10 years ago...).

Edited by drahkon

Haven't played Slay the Spire since Tuesday because Monster Hunter World and Tales of Berseria keep me occupied :D 

MHW...what a game. Can't believe I missed out on it for so long.

Tales of Berseria seems good so far. Only 3 hours in but I like what I've seen. Still don't entirely get the battle system but I guess I'll get there eventually. It's great to finally play a Tales game agian :) 

@Hero-of-Time I've seen you already got the Platinum for Final Fantasy VIII (no idea why it showed up on my "news feed" on PSN, though). :D Would you recommend the re-release? I enjoyed it back in the day but never put enough time into completing it 100%.

• Thanks 1