NEurope
Aperson

Your 2019 Gaming Diary

Happy new year everyone. New year, new gaming diary.

This is shaping up to be an exciting year for many gamers out there, with big games like Kingdom Hearts III, Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing Switch, Pokemon Generation 8, The Last of Us 2, Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, Devil May Cry 5, Mortal Kombat 11 and Shenmue III and that's not even counting all the games that might get announced at E3 this year, such as a certain Metroid Prime 4... and of course an indie game could come out of nowhere to become a must play.

Smash Ultimate has a bunch of character reveal trailers still to go as it's DLC gradually drops, so this should hopefully be a great year for gaming.

• Like 2

Happy New Year all.

2019 should be pretty great. I'm most looking forward to Anthem, Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Yoshi's Crafted World, and if by some miracle, Cyberpunk 2077. Oh and Retro's game hopefully. Plus a ton of smaller titles like Tunic, In the Valley of Gods, Spelunky 2 etc

Also hoping Playstation release an updated VR model, or failing that Xbox gets compatibility with Oculus or Vive.

I'm hoping 2019 will be a year where I can clear out new shames, that is, avoid accumulating a backlog in the first place. Hopefully I can clear out some games I've sitting on for the DS&3DS, avoid buying new games while still having a backlog, play a lot of Smash Bros and its DLC, maybe retake some PC gaming...

Ah, who am I kidding? Fire Emblem: Three Houses is coming soon, and I still haven't bought Breath of the Wild. I can't miss that. I hope those are the only hiccups this year has in store.

Edited by Jonnas

My backlog isn't too bad right now. One of my resolutions last year was to stop buying too many games at once, and I think I stuck to it pretty well.

Currently have Smash ready to play, and the final Spider-Man DLC downloaded. I put down Yakuza 0 a while back, and haven't found the enthusiasm to pick it back up again. Hopefully I will at some point.

I was intending to at least complete my Let's Go Pikachu Pokédex, and maybe find and catch a shiny, but it looks like the first wasn't to be, and I don't know if the second is possible without the first. Never mind.

Should be getting Just Cause 4 in a couple of weeks for my birthday, so hopefully I'll have done one of the above by then, to free up some time to play it.

Started 2019 by finishing Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PS4). Within the first two days I had beaten the true final boss... and then went back to do the secret episode and do that fight too.

Also been playing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) and doing single player stuff outside of World of Light in an attempt to earn more items, mainly Mii Fighter outfits and the rest of the soundtrack.

With Kingdom Hearts III out this month it only made sense to play the direct prequels to it in order to get caught up with the story so I'm now playing Kingdom Hearts HD Dream Drop Distance (PS4). This was a game that I would have got on 3DS at some point but I felt it was necessary to have experienced the three games that came before and I'd heard some dodgy things about it. What's interesting on this is how it was doing Pokemon Amie before Pokemon Amie was even a thing and on the same console! The music for the Tamagochi stuff is seemingly pitched to be as cute as possible and gets juxtoposed whenever your in a world that is quite serious in tone or rather sombre. You open the menu and this plays

This music combined with the overwhelming cuteness of Meow Wow actually made me cry... for reasons I'm still not entirely sure why.

It didn't seem to have as much effect with the other spirits but I've had a lot of fun naming them anyway:

Dv_gyCfXcAAqdcU.jpg

DwFMfSQWwAADt71.jpg

DwOfXCNXgAIOfrZ.jpg

Petting a bat or a goat isn't quite the same as petting a catdog hybrid with a too cute for humanity to handle face. Also, Meow Wow is important for getting Curaga so I'm trying to level Memelord and his fellow Meow Wow CatDog (named after the cartoon CatDog) to become stronger and get Curaga. Will need to look up what the stronger spirits are in the game to get the better items but I may keep Memelord for the whole thing.

• Haha 2

Officially beaten Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance (PS4). Young Xehanort is one of the most annoying boss fights ever designed.

If you've never faced him, then essentially if you don't do his second phase within a certain time limit or use a specific action... you have to restart the entire fight all over again. It is so annoying and frustrating, albeit he does have less health than originally everytime he resets the fight. But his attacks are so difficult to avoid. I feel like he should have been the final boss, because the real final boss that happens straight afterwards isn't nearly as frustrating.

The game also manages to make an already confusing plot even more confusing by throwing in time travel and dreams into the mix, two plot devices which by their very nature can so easily lead to bad story telling and many Japanese writers seem to be very bad with handling time travel, even when the entire series is centered around it. Also this series sure loves its retcons.

Regardless of how confusing the story got I'm still looking forward to playing Kingdom Hearts III at the end of the month.

Currently back on F-Zero GX (Gamecube). I want to grind tickets since I'm stuck on both Grand Prix mode and Story and I need to unlock all the characters. I picked up the game last year after previously borrowing it but the game is infamously difficult. The story chapter I'm stuck on is still Chapter 3.

I still need to play Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep A fragmentory Passage (PS4) before I'm all caught up for KHIII and I'm looking forward to that because it'll be my first taster of KHIII gameplay.

Edited by GenericAperson
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, GenericAperson said:

Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep A fragmentory Passage

...I honestly can't tell if that's the actual name of the game, or if you came up with a satirical title.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonnas said:

...I honestly can't tell if that's the actual name of the game, or if you came up with a satirical title.

Image result for kingdom hearts 0.2

Misspelled the name in my post but there's your proof.

• Confused 1

Played and completed Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep A fragmentary Passage (PS4) the other day. The game feels good to play and I like how you can combo Magic among Melee attacks if your inputs are quick enough. If they bring back the AP system for Kingdom Hearts III then that's going to be great since this was the KH3 demo technically.

^ Young Xehanort Fight I was talking about in my last post

So I've finished the collection with two weeks to go until Kingdom Hearts III comes out. It's intended to be my next big game so I'm left with the problem of how to fill the time. In the end, a mixture of taking a bit of a break from gaming to focus on real life responsibilities more... although I am still gaming on a variety of things. Still making more Custom Characters on Soul Calibur VI (PS4), started uploading Youtube videos of Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (PS2) and even went back to Kingdom Hearts II (PS2) to grind my forms and take on Sephiroth. I appreciate the HD collections more now, I forgot how bad the frame rate is on the PS2 version of Kingdom Hearts II.

The main game I've been playing however is South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3). A surprise Christmas present but so far an enjoyable one. I love how they poke fun at RPG tropes all the time. I'm confused as to why the game is censored in Europe though, I knew from the age rating that this game was going to be rather explicit. I've just been abducted by aliens after rescuing the Stick of Truth.

On 22/01/2019 at 12:30 AM, GenericAperson said:

That fight is such a ridiculous jump in difficulty for a mandatory fight. It took me a lot of tries to beat it on the 3DS version.

Anyway, I played through New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe. I'd write up about it, but why bother when I can just link you to the review I did for the site?

Check a look.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

First game of 2019 done, which was Guns, Gore and Cannoli 2.  It's much the same as the first in terms of game-play, the story is a direct follow on and it's humor is typical for the game.  Can easily get this done in a weekend, and if you've not played the first, can do that in the same weekend.

Here are a few gaming related things I would like to do over the course of 2019, followed by the games I have clocked this month.

Play through Persona 4 Golden or The Witcher 3.

Both of these games are highly rated and both are games that I haven't finished, despite having them on the shelf for years. I’ve tried multiple times to play Persona 4, both on the PS2 and Vita, but I can never get past the opening sections of the game due to me finding it really boring. Having played through Persona 5 back in 2017 I now know just how good these games can be so it’s just a question of getting through those early sections and getting hooked on the characters and story.

The Witcher 3 is a different beast. I’m not a huge fan of Western RPGs ( much prefer JRPGs) and with the game being as long as it is I’m worried that the investment of time may not pay off for me. Still, it’s something I do want to play eventually it’s just a question of putting enough time aside for it. As a side note, a friend of mine finally played through it last year and said it was one of the most overrated games he has ever played. We share similar tastes in games ( he also loves JRPGs ) so this doesn’t bode well for me.

Less Watching and More Playing

This next one I actually started in December of last year. I took a look at how much gaming YouTube content I was watching and realised I needed to back away from most of it. I figured the time that I was using to watch people give opinions on games I could be using to play games myself and then form opinions of my own. I also found that last year a lot of the content I was watching was starting to turn to garbage. People like RGT85 used to produce good content but has instead started to be in it for the money and produce quick cash grab videos and make review videos about games he clearly hasn’t finished. Just recently he ripped off a N64 video made by Glenn Plant and you can see this kind of thing happening across the board. I did drop a few earlier in the 2018 as well. People like Spawn Wave, Dreamcast Guy and Beat Em Ups ( hate that guy now ) have all been given the boot. To me these type of YouTubers don't deserve my time or views and i'd much rather watch well researched and interesting content from outlets like My Life In Gaming or Digital Foundry. 

Less Gaming Podcasts 

Similar to the gaming video one, this year I’m going to cut back on some of the podcasts I listen to. A few of them I only listen to out of habit now and to be honest I don’t really enjoy the banter or content that gets produced. I have them on in the car on the way to work and a lot of the time they are just background noise as the stuff being discussed isn’t that entertaining or compelling. I did drop a couple last year and I will probably drop a few more this year.  I think Easy Allies podcast will be one of the first to go. I’m just tired of their stupid games they keep inventing and playing, as well as the bits Kyle keeps trying to implement. They aren’t funny and the time could be used to for discussing something worthwhile in the gaming space. Ones that will definitely be staying with me are Radio Free Nintendo, Frame Trap, Sacred Symbols and NVC. 

It's the end of the month and here's a breakdown of games that I have played and finished.

Moss (PS4) - I absolutely adored this game. It was one of the main titles I wanted to play when I bought the PSVR and I wasn't disappointed. The fairytale like setting really drew me in and the sense of scale you feel while playing it is incredible. The game had a lot of heart to it and I was gutted when the adventure was over. There is a tease for a sequel at the end but there hasn't been much heard about it yet. Hopefully it does actually see the light of day because I would love to go on an adventure with Quill again.

Spoiler

DyJCEf4WoAARbl8.jpg

Along Together (PS4) - This is another VR title that I played. I hadn't heard of this one before but after playing Astro Bot and Moss I was looking for something similar to play. A quick search on Google and this popped up. It was also on sale so I decided to give it a go.
The game is a 3D puzzle platformer where you have to guide a boy or girl through a bunch of stages to find their dog. It played incredibly well and even though it lacked the polish of the previous games I mentioned, I still had a great time playing through it. Some of the puzzles, especially in the latter half of the game, really had stumped and it took a while to figure out what I needed to do. The game was certainly a pleasant surprise and one that I would recommend to those who have a PSVR.

Spoiler

DyJCCmLW0AAng_r.jpg

Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner MARS (PS4) - I actually snapped this up back in November. Simply Games were selling it for around £7.00 and I had to pick it up for that price, especially as I have never played the game before, despite me loving the original game. 
The game plays very much like the original but the story is even more wacky that the first. You can tell Kojima had a hand in making this. :D The movement and fighting in these games can take some getting used to but once everything clicks you end you dispatching enemies pretty quickly as you soar the the sky in your Orbital Frame. I loved the little callbacks to the original game. It's been years since I played it but I was still able to remember the characters and what happened, so it was nice that I was able to appreciate the bits of fan service scattered throughout.
Holding off playing the game actually worked out well. With me buying a PSVR headset in December I was now able to try the VR mode in this game. It is crazy fun and can be quite chaotic at times due to the amount of enemies that the game throws at you. I was expecting to feel a bit of motion sickness while playing this but thankfully that wasn't the case.

Spoiler

DyJCCl1W0AE3W5e.jpg

No Heroes Allowed! VR (PS4) - This is another game I had my eye on when picking up a PSVR. The game had a colourful and charming look to it and that was all that was needed to get me to dive in. Like Along Together, this was also on sale and I didn't hesitate to snap it up.
The game is a tabletop strategy game. You have to protect your castle from hordes of heroes ( you play as the villains ) but by upgrading your units, defeating heroes and capturing bases ultimately leads to you taking control of the whole map. The people who you are working for in this game are hilarious. Some of the dialogue that spouts out of the demons mouth had be giggling away in my headset. There are plenty of moments where the jokes break the 4th wall and I got a kick out of some of the trophy descriptions.
There are a fair few stages to get through and some of them have references to other games. One of the stages has blatant references to Pokemon that certainly got a smile out of me. It's just a shame that the stages can be beaten quite quickly once you get to grips with the game. Like most VR games it's not overly long but I loved my time spent on it. 

Spoiler

DyJCCl2WsAAveBL.jpg

Accounting+ (PS4) - This was my stinker of the month. I've heard loads of people go on about Rick and Morty and how funny the show is. If this game is an example of the humour that I can expect to see on that show then i'm glad I don't watch it.
The game is kind of a mash up of different scenarios that you have to play through, most of which aren't really fun. It was usually a case of you being stuck in an area and just placing a couple of items in various places to escape to the next. 
I found the characters you meet throughout the game to be overly loud and obnoxious and the humour of the game always just resulted in people constantly swearing and shouting. I think this part of the game was supposed to give you entertainment as you searched about the levels but it just didn't appeal to me in the slightest.
Not a great game by any means.

Spoiler

DyJCCl7WkAA7xZ8.jpg

Batman: Arkham VR (PS4) - I loved the original Arkham game but the second one didn't really draw me in as much as the original and the third game I have yet to play through. Although I had issues with the second game I did enjoy the style of the world in the Arkham games. Many people who have played this game said it was a fantastic experience and they weren't wrong.
As Batman you need to suit up in the Batcave and then set out on a mission to locate both Robin and Nightwing. This leads you through various locations in the city in an attempt to find out just what has gone on and where your friends are.
Playing as a more detective style Batman was an absolutely joy. Having to scan areas, recompile events and search around Gotham City for clues was such a cool experience and one that will stick with me for a while. The story of the game is another thing that will stick with me. I did figure out what was going on a few moments before the actual big reveal happened but it was certainly a very compelling story.
This was the first VR game that really freaked me out. In the sewer area I knew something was going to go down but it still didn't stop me from jumping out of my skin. Also, having the grotesque Arkham design Joker character model right in your face isn't a very pleasant experience. Harley Quinn on the other hand... :p 
The only disappointing thing about the game was there was no platinum trophy. :nono: Other than that I absolutely loved the game.

Spoiler

DyJB_byXQAAnL38.jpg

Onimusha: Warlords (PS4) - I was chuffed to bits when Capcom announced this last year. Onimusha is a series I loved on the PS2 and the original game, along with The Bouncer, is why I picked up a PS2 in the first place. I imported a physical copy of the game due to Capcom once again giving EU gamers the middle finger and releasing it digitally only.
Gameplay wise the game has aged just fine. It plays just like I remember it and I was surprised by just how much I remembered about the game. Certain puzzles and areas have stuck with me over the years and I was able to make short work of it all. It's not a very long game. You can clock it in about 3 hours on your first run through of it.
What hasn't aged that well is the voice acting and dialogue of the game. I think a lot of younger gamers may be put off with how rough some of it sounds. We aren't talking Shenmue rough here but it is pretty laughable at times. It is a product of it's time though and you have to remember this is what AAA gaming was like back then.
I loved going for the platinum on this. It requires you to play through the game without using any healing items, going through it without upgrading your swords, getting a S rank, finishing the game in 3 hours and completing the Dark Realm and Oni Spirits mini game, something which I never done back on the PS2. In the space of 24 hours I ended up finishing the game around 4 times. I couldn't stop playing it. :D 

Spoiler

DyJB_byWsAEOKpy.jpg

New Super Mario Bros Wii U Deluxe (Switch) - I mentioned this in the relevant thread so I won't harp on about it too much other than I wasn't the biggest fan of the game and that my play through of it was pretty boring. I certainly didn't get the enjoyment out if it that I did when playing through the Wii U version back when that was released.

Spoiler

DxnW-QMUYAAD2nw.jpg

DxnXODbVsAEjW8G.jpg

Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4) - I've waffled on about how good this game is in the thread over in the Other Consoles section of the forum. What a game. Capcom achieved the impossible and managed to recreate my favourite Resident Evil game to perfection. They gave me new experiences but also kept the essence of what made the original so great. I couldn't stop playing it and ended up finishing the game 10 times over the space of 5 days. I was playing Kingdom Hearts III last night and I was still craving to go back to Raccoon City and play through the game again. Usually once I nab the platinum on a game i'm quite happy to move on to the next thing to play but this game keeps calling out to me. I can't wait for the free DLC to hit next month.

Spoiler

DyJB_bxWoAADqpy.jpg

Great start to the year! :peace:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Ones that will definitely be staying with me are Radio Free Nintendo, Frame Trap, Sacred Symbols and NVC. 

I've listened to a few Sacred Symbols episodes but the other guy (Chris is it?) just didn't do it for me. Seemed a bit ignorant on the industry and his opinions and delivery were a bit generic.

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The Witcher 3 is a different beast. I’m not a huge fan of Western RPGs ( much prefer JRPGs) and with the game being as long as it is I’m worried that the investment of time may not pay off for me. Still, it’s something I do want to play eventually it’s just a question of putting enough time aside for it. As a side note, a friend of mine finally played through it last year and said it was one of the most overrated games he has ever played. We share similar tastes in games ( he also loves JRPGs ) so this doesn’t bode well for me.

Don't play it. 
Pretty sure you won't like it and then it's simply not worth the time, in my opinion. Especially since you always go for the Platinum, you crazy SoB :p 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I've listened to a few Sacred Symbols episodes but the other guy (Chris is it?) just didn't do it for me. Seemed a bit ignorant on the industry and his opinions and delivery were a bit generic.

I agree with this. Chris just doesn't have the knowledge about the industry to be a good host alongside Colin. I really only listen to it just for Colin's insight and banter. 

I recently did another review for the site.

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy 

content-2-35693-sphinxandthecursedmummysidebox.jpg

• Thanks 3

I couldn't stand the improvised dialogue in Accounting+. If I'd know the whole game would be nothing but Roiland (and Roiland-esque) improvisation, I'd never have played it. For the record, Rick & Morty isn't like that at all.

• Thanks 1

Well, I only bought the game last Tuesday but I finished Kingdom Hearts III (PS4). A very well polished, if not particularly challenging title which has some epic sequences towards the end and some surprising events that transpire. Plus I feel that they really tied up everything that they had introduced before and the only lingering stuff is from the mobile game which is still ongoing so I guess that makes sense. I haven't fought the secret boss yet and I also hear there are Secret Reports to collect so I might yet go back and do those.

With KH3 finished I have no finished the planned list of new games I had intended to get which started back in September when Spider-Man came out. This leaves me in an interesting position where I cannot see any games in the immediate future that I am interested in getting. Devil May Cry 5 comes to mind as a "big" launch next month but I haven't really played any of the previous games so that's a pass from me. We may be in the midst of the biggest video game crash since the 1980s given that publishers have forgone creativity for that extra buck which is sad to see and maybe gaming has reached that point where the old way has reached it's natural conclusion and a new approach going forward is needed. Will Indie games save the industry? I don't know, but there do seem to be quite a few of them out there that are worth playing more than Triple A titles.

So I guess I turn to my backlog now and go back to South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3). I'm at the part of the game where you have to recruit the girls but, I want to talk about something. The gnome boss fight. I should have expected as much from a South Park game but the boss having an attack where a very private part swings down and you have to react made me uncomfortable after playing and I refused to react to the attack. Was still able to win the boss battle but I guess I underestimated how far this game would go with adult material...

I have a list of games I intend to play during the course of the year, some of which I already own, some of which are part of the household and some are games that I don't own yet but plan to own in the future.

My immeidate plans after finishing South Park are to play NieR: Automata (PS4). I passed on this when it came out mainly because at the time I couldn't really play on PS4 until midway through the year came out, plus it came out during the Switch launch window. However I have heard that the game is very very good and that the story has a very Xenoblade like philosophical edge to it. If it's like Xenoblade 1's story then it should be a cracker. Also, 2B being in Soul Calibur VI has also got me interested in playing the game too and this would be the first time I'd play anything made by Platinum Games.

After that there are a range of options:

Finishing Dark Souls

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna (I still have not played this)

The World Ends with You: Final Remix

Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc (I have it on PC but have not played in ages and would have to install the game on my laptop. Yes, 2019 and I'm intending to play a disc based game on PC)

Replaying the Metroid Prime Trilogy, but through the Wii U

This is just the immediate available games that interest me right now, quite a few RPGs in there and that's not counting the ones that I put down a while back and never really picked up again. There are games I would need to buy that interest me and these are:

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (I intend to pick this up on Switch when it comes out late April)

Hollow Knight

Celeste

The Messenger

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Many of these games are either standalone or from franchises I've never really played before. Maybe playing something different will help discover something I never knew I wanted to play.

• Like 1

Finished South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3) this evening. Really enjoyed the game aside from a few overt moments... the witty writing kept me on board throughout and I love how this game makes fun of JRPG tropes.

Onto Nier Automata next!

• Thanks 1

Started NieR: Automata (PS4) over the past couple of days. I didn't know too much about the game going in other than that it was an action game, had a really good soundtrack, has it's main character in Soul Calibur VI and is supposed to be one of the best games ever made. What I didn't expect was that it's half action game, half bullet hell shooter with both sections interweaving into the gameplay. I'm getting vibes of Shadow of the Colossus and Dark Souls from this one where the game seems to have been made as something with artistic intent.

The opening mission is certainly action packed and I appreciate that this game gets you into playing it immediately and gets the action going even if you don't immediately understand what's going on (the game doesn't explain it's backstory until after the first major boss battle). I don't think it's until the second mission that the game really hits home and hints at it's potential. Again, the environment design seems to be of similar ilk to the likes of Shadow of the Colossus and Dark Souls with a story to tell behind it.

I mentioned Dark Souls but...

Even the death system is like Dark Souls.

Nier Automata doesn't seem to be as brutally difficult as Dark Souls though, well, unless you play the Harder difficulties (which I only found out after reaching the hideout in the City Ruins that they actually disable the ability to lock on to enemies which is extremely curious(. I'll see if this game can make me reconsider what my personal top 10 games of all time are because it could certainly have the potential to do so depending on how the game continues but it's making a semi-promising start. The only thing I don't like about this game so far are the free form shooting sections. It's a bit too hard to be precise and aim at the enemies and has already been responsible for a couple of deaths before the second mission.

So far, my gaming in 2019 is yet again a mishmash of 8 gazillion games and I haven't finished one. ::shrug: Looks like I'm in a slump again.
But I do enjoy gaming right now, even though I keep switching games. I'll try to stick with the following for now, though:

Apex Legends is the best Battle Royale game out there right now (sorry, Tetris99) and will keep me coming back for a long time.

Other than that I mostly use my Vita right now. Downloaded a couple of games that I bought ages ago, now that I have enough storage:

• Crypt of the Necrodancer Amplified - the DLC finally works and it's bloody amazing. So many great additions (weapons, items, armors, characters, a new Zone with new enemies and bosses). I'm still in awe of how innovative the gameplay is. Rhythm-based-roguelike. I love it :D 
  • Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate - another roguelike. It's part of the Mystery Dungeon series. Haven't spent much time with it but it's very complicated. So many systems are in place...but I like it. Difficult but fair. 
  • Chasm - Metroidvania. It's ok. Backtracking is quite tedious. Not sure if I'll finish this one. ::shrug: 

Man, made quite a bit of progress in Nier: Automota (PS4) and this game is SO good. It ticks many boxes I could ask for in a video game, great soundtrack, intriguing story that's a lot deeper than it appears and gets you to really think about what it is that you're doing, fun combat (even if you can easily do most of it by dodging and firing), the open world feels properly structured and isn't too open to the point where you're just travelling along a pre-made path (there feels like an actual route that you are supposed to take to get through the game) and some great boss battles. There's also a fair amount of humourous moments and the section where

you enter the Copied City

was the moment the game elavated in status for me.

I'm still going to hold out for a final verdict on how much I like this game especially considering I'm still only on the first playthrough but right now, while I would hasten to call it the best game I've ever played it's definitely a contender for my personal top 10. I don't know what it is, but games like this, Shadow of the Colossus and Okami are the type of games more likely to make it into my top 10 than more contemporary "greatest games of all time" like Ocarina of Time, probably because they get so much overexposure.

Anyway, progress update.

BECOME AS GODS

This pretty much sums up where I am in the game at the moment. I've backtracked to the factory and now find myself surrounded by a cult of machines who believe by dying they can "Become as Gods" and they want you to join their cult so they go about trying to explode in your face. It pretty much burned through all of my Recoveries before I even got to the boss, this was by far the hardest section of the game so far. Then the boss happened and I cannot beat this thing after multiple attempts. I have died so many times on this boss but after realising that I had a few recovieres in my inventory I used a couple up to help me survive this battle... then the thing rolls up into a ball on low health and I have no idea how I'm supposed to damage it now. And that's pretty much the situation I'm in right now.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 12:36 AM, drahkon said:
  • Chasm - Metroidvania. It's ok. Backtracking is quite tedious. Not sure if I'll finish this one. ::shrug: 

I deleted it. Good God, this is some bad game design. 
I can get behind some backtracking in Metroidvanias but Chasm is just annoying. Even the shortcuts don't help alleviate the tedium of it. You have to go to a specific room, enter a portal to reach a different version of that room, then leave that room through a door (which you have to remember where it leads, because there is no indication anywhere) and then you are still a million miles away of where you have to go because there aren't even a lot of shortcuts to begin with.

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I deleted it. Good God, this is some bad game design. 
I can get behind some backtracking in Metroidvanias but Chasm is just annoying. Even the shortcuts don't help alleviate the tedium of it. You have to go to a specific room, enter a portal to reach a different version of that room, then leave that room through a door (which you have to remember where it leads, because there is no indication anywhere) and then you are still a million miles away of where you have to go because there aren't even a lot of shortcuts to begin with.

Sad to hear you're not keen on the game. It's on my list of games to play and I was quite looking forward to it. I figured it wasn't a great sign when it released and no one was talking about it though.

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Sad to hear you're not keen on the game. It's on my list of games to play and I was quite looking forward to it. I figured it wasn't a great sign when it released and no one was talking about it though.

Well, I'm not a big fan of Metroidvanias  but some of them I do enjoy. Chasm, however, I wouldn't touch again with a stick. I'd say it's mediocre at best. For Metroidvania enthusiasts it could be a good choice, though.

• Thanks 1