NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Online Thread

Yup, amazingly on brand for the theme, but after watching a certain video I posted in another thread. I've realised that Falco shows up in Starlink as well, albeit only on the racing segment.

So Falco is also allowed tonight.

Yes, the sheer absurdity of me getting it wrong on a theme all about me getting it wrong has not gone over my head, now excuse me while I apply said head on to a desk.

EDIT: New page, reposting the characters.

Fyz9bk4aUAEKXrL?format=jpg&name=large

Costume Restrictions

Mario - Wedding outfit only
Link, Young Link, and Toon Link - Dark Link costume only
Hero - DQ8 styles only

The costumes are pictured above, so you should know which ones I'm on about.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Hey, we really wanted to get one Smash taunt!

Pressing that down taunt in less then 2 frames is really difficult!

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

In that case, I’ll let off that instance.

Ta, I can pull it off relatively consistently, but the stars never aligned whenever I chose a Star Fox character tonight.

Thanks for the games. :smile:

Well, the theme with its limited character roster ended up working out really well, with each character almost getting two showings, plus each Mii variation.

Speaking of which, it had been so long that I had picked a Mii, I'd forgotten the three that I'd made...

SAMus (Mii Gunner) SAMurai (Mii Sword Fighter) and Super SAM (Mii Brawler).

The battles turned out better than expected, plus it almost made up for not having Samus as a playable character this week.

A fair few X2 matches, and even one X3 at least... but alas, no secret Star Fix taunt. (Can't let you do that, Star Fox!)

Edit - Oh yeah... and the X2 Falco VS X2 Olimar (well Olimar and Alph) was a highlight, at around the 01:25.00 mark, worth checking out.

Here's a link to this week's stream... :peace:

- - - - -

custom-ac0aee31-b1e0-4b15-88e6-642a2ba992ca-640x360.jpeg

N-Europe Saturday Smash! (17/06/2023)

- - - - -

Edited by S.C.G

I may or may not be available this Saturday. Going away on holiday but I may try to use the phone as a hotspot to see if I can get on and play for 30 minutes or so depending on how good a connection it is. So if I can get on but just get disconnected, then know it was my fault and I'll just see you all next week.

• Thanks 1

Ok. Quickly testing switch online using Mario Kart for a couple races and my phones hot spot. 
it ran surprisingly smoothly didnt seem laggy and held up. Also two races and getting connected used like 40mb

So I think I’ll attempt to join a little after 8 so that we know if it’s me that kicks the games out. 

Edited by BowserBasher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Relatively smooth considering, well, except that last match.

Accidentally unplugged my Gamecube controller from sheer laughter after getting K.O'd by falling asleep on a platform slowly moving off screen. So, it was a good night all round.
Also appreciate the western style impromptu shootout @Ike and I got into near the end.

• Thanks 1

Plenty of X2 matches this week, even a tag-team double match of sorts, and one X4 match which went as well as could be expected.

Everything was reasonably smooth until the end, where the lag spiked to comedic levels.

Also... who knew that the text number countdown at the end doesn't have to be tied to the audio... that's interesting.

(Check the last few matches to see what I'm on about, someone else might be able to explain it better, but it's a new one anyway)

- - - - -

N-Europe Saturday Smash! (24/06/2023)

- - - - -

Glad my circumstances made for a fun night. I actually didn’t think it would go that smoothly for running the Switch through a 4G phone network. And beat of all it used around 350mb for the two hour session. 

I think it was the first ever 4 way between Simon (not me the other one) but I still got to say “I did it”

• Thanks 1

A few X2 matches this week, and one X4 match which was fun.

Oh and the best music track choice for the lobby, check it out, it's really chirpy. ;)

- - - - -

N-Europe Saturday Smash! (01/07/2023)

- - - - -

• Thanks 1

A few X2 matches this week, and one X4 featuring three Larry's and one Iggy, on a stage with very little room to escape from the screen-filling final smash. :D

I got to play as all three versions of Samus, so I had a good run with the random characters.

The X3 Steve match with Incineroar was fun, that went as well as you might think...

Oh and Glen got the Star Fox taunt dialogue conversation as Wolf on a Star Fox stage, and no one hit him during the animation, so that was cool.

- - - - -

N-Europe Saturday Smash! (08/07/2023)

- - - - -

• Thanks 1

Great matches. I won as Sora in stamina so that means I won the night, right? Also I can’t believe that I got @Glen-i with the same tactic and throws three times in a row in that one match. If any one finds it in the stream I’d love to watch it again. 

12 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Great matches. I won as Sora in stamina so that means I won the night, right? Also I can’t believe that I got @Glen-i with the same tactic and throws three times in a row in that one match. If any one finds it in the stream I’d love to watch it again. 

It was on Mementos (The Persona stage), so it shouldn't be too hard to find skimming through. That stage stands out.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

It was on Mementos (The Persona stage), so it shouldn't be too hard to find skimming through. That stage stands out.

That particular match can be found at just past the 46:00 minute mark.

It was a great match overall, and it turned out to be a more than OK stage for Terry, with that low ceiling.

• Thanks 1

Just a heads up that I won't be able to join next week.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Even with Ike not being able to make it, I'm expecting Dcubed to make it, so I'm gonna go ahead with the theme night, seeing as he can't always make it for Smash.

Smash Breakers!

F1ExeGyagAEvUX6?format=jpg&name=large

The 23 characters here are some of the best of the best throughout the history of Smash. Whether it be in Ultimate, or a previous Smash game, these characters are (in)famous for being a little too good.
This isn't me flapping my lips depicting my opinion, BTW. All these characters are listed on the TV Tropes Game Breaker page.

And yes, I did just provide a link to TV Tropes. I apologise for nothing.

For the sake of not having too many characters, I'm not including characters that are OP in very specific circumstances (DK in 100-Man Melee, for example).
Honestly, it's amazing that Ultimate is as balanced as it is, we're a long way away from the likes of Melee Fox, or Brawl Meta Knight!

Stages and items are the standard fare.

Format - Stock, 10 minutes
FS Meter - On

See you at 8!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 3

A fair few X2 matches, but it's almost expected now when we're all choosing from a smaller selection of charatcers, on a theme night.

Some really great games though, also I seem to have learned how to play as Diddy Kong, so that was fun.

- - - - -

N-Europe Saturday Smash! (15/07/2023)

- - - - -

• Thanks 1

Time format tonight at 8pm.

I expect @RedShell to be up for it tonight. This will be the first time he'll be playing since "Sora Night" back in October 2021.
I assume he'd like to bring some of his expertly crafted custom stages with him, so I'm tweaking the usual standard setup.

Custom Stages will be allowed. Previously, I just set the stage selection to Random, and left it to the game. The only stage I removed from the selection process was Palutena's Temple, because it's way too massive. I'll be adding "Custom Stages" to the "Banned from Random Selection" because there's no way I can guarantee that the random Custom Stage won't get broken by whatever format we might be doing.

Now, it'd be pointless to allow Custom Stages, only to not allow random to choose it, so stage selection will be set to "Choice". As a reminder, this works similar to how picking characters in Arenas works, so you can just leave it on random, if you're not fussed. If you do decide to pick a stage, avoid sticking with one choice for too long. There's 114 stages, plenty of variety there.

I don't know if this got patched out, but there's a weird quirk with how stage selection functions in Arena. If someone picked a stage, the people who picked random would have no effect on the actual stage picked. If this is still the case, I'll leave it to @RedShell's judgment for when to choose custom stages, and when to revert back to the standard fare. This is also why I suggest that people don't stick too long with one stage.

Finally, there'll be times where we'll have 6 regular participants, so I'll take the time to remind you that in this scenario, the bottom 2 people will be swapped out of the next match, so if people hop out of the arena to change character/stage, try to remember if you have to step out of the arena to let them back in when applicable.

Anyway, thanks for cooperating.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

This will be the first time he'll be playing since "Sora Night" back in October 2021.

Wow, didn’t realise it’s been that long! :o
Looking forward to joining you guys for this again. :)

I’ll have to remember to connect my Switch via ethernet cable, hopefully I can find the adapter that I’ve not seen/used since October 2021! :hehe:

:peace:

• Thanks 1