Hero-of-Time

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Online Thread

54 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Well that pyramid stage is broken with Isabelle infinite smacking. Lol

Pretty sure it's a Triforce.

59 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Pretty sure it's a Triforce.

That’s what I meant. 
tanks @RedShell, @Glen-i and @S.C.G For those amazing fun times. Some fun games in there ad plenty of mayhem. 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Well that pyramid stage is broken with Isabelle infinite smacking. Lol

:laughing: I swear I had absolutely no idea that was a thing, I'd only modified that stage recently (it used to be setup in a way that obscured the characters) and so hadn't done any testing on it. :hehe: When I noticed that you and @Glen-i couldn't get out of Isabelle's attack though, well, I just had to take advantage of the situation. :grin:

• Thanks 1
  • Weird 1

I totally planned that Bayonetta custom stage finish! No-one can tell me otherwise!

• Haha 1

Great games @Glen-i, @RedShell, @S.C.G And forgot the other. He won with DK though. Well played. 
Cant believe I won’t two matches as Simon though. And the match with Ken, Ryu and Little Mac had an epic finish. I saved that one just hope I can get it uploaded. 

Oh and I think it was my connection that caused the early disconnect. I really think I need to get a wired connections as we have moved things around and the switch has a less than great wifi connection at times. 

Edited by BowserBasher
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BowserBasher said:

Great games @Glen-i, @RedShell, @S.C.G And forgot the other. He won with DK though. Well played. 
Cant believe I won’t two matches as Simon though. And the match with Ken, Ryu and Little Mac had an epic finish. I saved that one just hope I can get it uploaded. 

It's on a custom stage, so you can't upload it through the game itself.

Thanks for the games everyone. :D

I think my brother played better than me tonight, he enjoyed playing a few rounds with us and it was great fun as always. :smile:

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Glen-i said:

It's on a custom stage, so you can't upload it through the game itself.

Yeah. I’m hoping I can get the video file off the SD card. 

41 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Yeah. I’m hoping I can get the video file off the SD card. 

You can't make video files with custom stage replays, but can upload the actual replay data IIRC.

Anyway, another entertaining session last night for sure. I was playing even worse than my usual low standard for most of it though. :heh: And that perfect random selection combo of Shulk and my Monado custom stage... yeah, I certainly wasn't feeling it. :laughing:

It's cool when we do stamina rules, as I can just leave stage selection on random. Can't really do that with the other modes if a 10 min time limit is also in effect, as they'll basically go on for the entire 10 minutes! :D I do miss Sudden Deaths though. @Glen-i, and chance we could do a 2:30 or 3:00 min time limit for next week?

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

You can't make video files with custom stage replays, but can upload the actual replay data IIRC.

Anyway, another entertaining session last night for sure. I was playing even worse than my usual low standard for most of it though. :heh: And that perfect random selection combo of Shulk and my Monado custom stage... yeah, I certainly wasn't feeling it. :laughing:

It's cool when we do stamina rules, as I can just leave stage selection on random. Can't really do that with the other modes if a 10 min time limit is also in effect, as they'll basically go on for the entire 10 minutes! :D I do miss Sudden Deaths though. @Glen-i, and chance we could do a 2:30 or 3:00 min time limit for next week?

Well, it's Time format next week, so no need to ask.

37 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Well, it's Time format next week, so no need to ask.

OK, cool. :cool: Do you not usually have it set to 10 mins though?

10 minutes ago, RedShell said:

OK, cool. :cool: Do you not usually have it set to 10 mins though?

Not in Time Format, 3 minutes is how long I set it for there.

You don't remember Min-Min night?

Edited by Glen-i

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Not in Time Format, 3 minutes is how long I set it for there.

You don't remember Min-Min night?

I don't remember the time setting that was being used, for some reason I thought you normally have it set to 10. :blank:

3 minutes is the perfect length for online I reckon, especially when there are more than 4 players involved.

On the subject of rules, have you ever considered enabling spirits? Could be fun to also do a week with those in play. ;) Although last time I suggested a rule modification (amiibo FPs) you weren't really a fan. :heh:

8 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I don't remember the time setting that was being used, for some reason I thought you normally have it set to 10. :blank:

3 minutes is the perfect length for online I reckon, especially when there are more than 4 players involved.

On the subject of rules, have you ever considered enabling spirits? Could be fun to also do a week with those in play. ;) Although last time I suggested a rule modification (amiibo FPs) you weren't really a fan. :heh:

You must be thinking of Stock and Stamina, where I use 10 minutes. It helps contrast the more frantic pace of 3 minute Time Battles.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of amiibos in Smash. They blatantly cheat and I already have enough CPU related headaches trying to beat every 9.9 Classic route.

Spirits on the other hand have the potential to be hilarious. Completely unbalanced, sure. But bonkers!

I would have to run it past @BowserBasher and @S.C.G though, they're one half of our little N-E group, and they may not be as spiritually stacked as I am.

Although, if there's a way to randomise the Spirits you use each fight, like you can with characters without you knowing what you've got beforehand, that could be a recipe for hilarity!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Right so on the replay thing I mentioned. You can get it. 
You can convert the replay data to a video like normal, you then just can’t do anything with it in the game. So you do this. Close the game and power off the Switch take the SD card out and put it into a computer. From there you can navigate the files Album > Extras > some strange number. In there will be folders organised by dates. All the Smash video replays are in there. I just moved the replay of that match I wanted to to my computer so will get it uploaded soon. 

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Spirits on the other hand have the potential to be hilarious. Completely unbalanced, sure. But bonkers!

It works for MK so I say let’s fight. 

On 17/07/2020 at 12:16 PM, Glen-i said:

Although, if there's a way to randomise the Spirits you use each fight, like you can with characters without you knowing what you've got beforehand, that could be a recipe for hilarity!

I had a quick look, but it seems like that’s not possible unfortunately. :hmm: 

You can go into the spirits section on the character select screen and choose “Auto-pick”, but all that does is randomly assign a main spirit, not the support ones. And I think it keeps that sprit selection until you either auto-pick again, or use one of your previously saved spirit teams.

A random spirit feature would be great, quite surprised it doesn’t exist really. :blank: 

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

I had a quick look, but it seems like that’s not possible unfortunately. :hmm: 

You can go into the spirits section on the character select screen and choose “Auto-pick”, but all that does is randomly assign a main spirit, not the support ones. And I think it keeps that sprit selection until you either auto-pick again, or use one of your previously saved spirit teams.

A random spirit feature would be great, quite surprised it doesn’t exist really. :blank: 

Actually, if you highlight a support slot and then use Auto-pick, it assigns some Support Spirits automatically.

Even so, it's not truly random, the game determines effective spirits for the situation and picks from those. So for example, in a normal fight, you probably won't get a spirit that protects you from being frozen, because the game deems it too situational compared to other ones like "Air Attack Up".

At least, that's how I imagine it works. I've never actually tried using spirits in a normal fight, might have to experiment against some CPU's a bit.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Actually, if you highlight a support slot and then use Auto-pick, it assigns some Support Spirits automatically.

Even so, it's not truly random, the game determines effective spirits for the situation and picks from those. So for example, in a normal fight, you probably won't get a spirit that protects you from being frozen, because the game deems it too situational compared to other ones like "Air Attack Up".

At least, that's how I imagine it works. I've never actually tried using spirits in a normal fight, might have to experiment against some CPU's a bit.

I see, thanks.

But yeah, unless it was truly random I don’t think it’d really work for our Thursday night games. 

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

I see, thanks.

But yeah, unless it was truly random I don’t think it’d really work for our Thursday night games. 

Yeah, I just realised that you were right about not being able to Auto-pick support spirits, it's a weird quirk of choosing spirits from the character select screen.

It also never chose a spirit lower than 4 star for me. Oh well.

Thanks for the few games. Had to cut my play time short tonight. I’ve sure been off my game tonight what with a poor Mario Kart too. 

Thanks for the games everyone, some great matches tonight. :)

Some solid matchups on those final battles @Glen-i especially Byleth Vs Isabelle on the Arms stage. :D

Incidentally, I opted to use a newer controller tonight, instead of my old knackered launch day (probably) controller, I think it made a difference as more of my inputs were recognised in time than normal, which was nice. :smile:

• Like 3