NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Online Thread

Thanks for the games. :smile:

Just one or two double matches this week, the rest were all mostly different characters.

Aside from that, the usual hijinks.

Here's a link to this week's stream... :peace:

- - - - -

custom-80859ea1-ebcb-4f48-affd-e361d3840816-640x360.jpeg

N-Europe Saturday Smash! (19/03/2023)

- - - - -

4 hours ago, Ike said:

@S.C.G dude, I’m glad you’ve joined Smash night, but try to cool it a bit with the camping, please. Especially when it’s 1 v 1 as your just drawing out the match.

Ike, I'm glad to have joined Smash night, I've learned from watching you all fight, and it has been fun battling with everyone, but when it's Stamina, and there's a large stage to use, isn't that just using the stage and the randomly selected character to your advantage? At what point does it become defined as 'camping' and not just 'damage avoidance' or whatever the term is for trying to preserve your character HP?

I'm just asking for some clarification, as my playstyle can change, but I'll always try to put a bit of humour into how I play, just because it seems to be needed, but if there are many clear instances of my character just 'camping' then I could adapt my playstyle.

Check my streams, let me know which are the plain examples of this happening, and I'll take it into account for next time. :peace:

I know I definitely used the full area of Hyrule Temple... there was what could be perceived as 'extreme damage avoidance' there, I'm sure... Glen even mentioned that, but if there are any other egregious examples, just say and I'll take a look.

I've been getting back into the game in the Single Player mode 'World of Light' recently, as I just got the 'NYXI Wizard' GameCube style Switch controller, so it has made the game more playable for me, in portable mode and on the TV screen, so I'm sure I will only learn more about the game from here... going from using my usual GameCube controller, to the next pad, may have changed how I play, to a degree. ::shrug:

Edited by S.C.G

I mean you going to the edge of the stage and jumping away when you are approached. Either someone has to run around after you out it becomes a 3v3, or that second player gets attacked. And yes, Hyrule Temple its not fun (for me) to watch Glenn chase you round like it’s Mario Kart night. Ultimately you lost anyway  (iirc, I stopped watching). It’s just not during stamina week either.

I wasn’t sure if it was a lack of confidence which is fair enough. But if that’s fun for you then who am I to tell you stop?

• Thanks 1

I have to agree with @Ike. I can laugh off a lot of things in Smash. But having to deal with camping tactics is frustrating. It's why I never play with randoms. You see it all the time there, and I just want to trade blows.

There are obviously times when legging it is the smart idea. (Someone got a Golden Hammer? Ain't no-one gonna suggest you take that person head on), but those situations only last a few seconds, making it a fun, yet, temporary dynamic switch.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm piling on here. But just wanted to get my thoughts across.

• Thanks 1

@S.C.G

Just my thoughts on it. It can be fun, but in my opinion, if you're just running around and not trying to attack then that isn't fun. If you're using the stage but getting in attacks too, then I think that's OK. But just running away and not trying to fight is where I think people start saying that's camping. So by all means use all the stage, that's what its there for, but remember its a fight too.

Anyway I had to save this from last night as it was one of, if not the best thing I may have ever done to win a match.

• Thanks 1

@Ike @Glen-i @BowserBasher I appreciate you all sharing your thoughts.

It's likely there will be a change in my playstyle from next week. :peace:

In the meantime, I'll be playing Smash single player between now and then, as I still have a fair amount of the World of Light mode to go, so I may decide to practice with those floatier, technical-based characters, that I don't play as that often, though I will say that playing through the mode with the DLC characters definitely makes it more interesting.

I was able to pull off Terry's "Are you OK? Busta Walf!" combo a few times, with the new controller, so I'm getting somewhere with it at least.

(check out around the 01:54.30 mark on the video below for the combo if you're interested)

custom-d25a9e8c-8d7c-4d60-91f8-eb1bbdb63a8a-640x360.jpeg

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch - Single Player

I'll likely be making a few more of these streams whenever I decide to play some offline Smash during the week between online sessions. :smile:

EDIT: Nope, false alarm. I can make it tomorrow.

Edited by Glen-i

It's a Theme Night this week. And I'm feeling like we don't self-destruct nearly often enough!

Plummeting Down to Earth

FsDMv1DaEAEv_PH?format=jpg&name=large

The 21 characters here have at least one move, that when used in the air, sends them rocketing downwards at a blistering pace. For the sake of clarity, moves where you can choose your direction (Fox's Up-B), moves that have you fling yourself upwards before smashing back down (Ike's Up-B), or moves that can be cancelled in some way (Kirby's Down B) do not count. You commit to your terrible life decisions, damnit!

I'd say be careful not to pull a Toon Link, but some rascal decided to mess with the stage selection...

FsDMv1AaMAA0W-2?format=jpg&name=large

All of the stages have some kind of hole plonked in the middle of the stage, maximising the potential for accidents. Some even have breakable flooring, so be mindful of where you attack.

The items are the standard fare.

Format - 3 Stock, 10 Minutes
FS Meter - On

See you tonight at 8pm.

• Thanks 1
  • Weird 1

Nice theme, guess whenever someone picks Bowser it's just gonna be "that one move" 😂 

• Haha 1

Great games and lots of laughter there tonight. So happy to see a lot of Toon Linking too, perfect for the theme.

• Thanks 1

At least two double characters, and a triple character match, not on random selection either.

Some good 'Toon Link' exits, I lost count after nineteen or so... there were some genuinely close matches as well, plus more than a few "I... didn't mean to do that" "Or did I?" moments.

No time for camping on any of these stages, well... except the one overly large stage, perhaps. ;) But still time for some "free the Mii" hijinks, on a certain reccuring stage.

Also, someone commented on the stream towards the end (it's not on the higlighted video) asking...

"Can someone tell me what I am witnessing?"

To which I replied...

"You are witnessing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate... 'Where has the floor gone?' edition."

- - - - -

N-Europe Saturday Smash! (25/03/2023)

- - - - -

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 2

Definitely a few double character matches, and a few instances of Sonic, who was promptly K-O'd... though he still gave as good as he got.

Some amusing moments on the Great Bay stage, and much more besides.

- - - - -

N-Europe Saturday Smash! (01/04/2023)

- - - - -

• Thanks 1

I don't remember winning a single match last night. I got into a SD with @Glen-i but that seemed to be the best I did. Someone correct me if I was wrong. Great games though, lots of stealing KO's last night all round and some great games by @S.C.G 

• Thanks 1

No quickie for us then.

Great night though. Think that may have been one of my best nights in the win column. And we proved once and for all that Samus does always win.

Check around an hour and a half in for Luigi X3, followed by...

Quadruple Samus Aran! (and yes, I got Fusion Suit Samus)

It doesn't get any better than that... :cool:

- - - - -

N-Europe Saturday Smash! (08/04/2023)

- - - - -

28 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Stamina matches tonight at 8pm.

After last nights Pokemon Stadium and Mario Kart 64, I not sure we have any stamina left

basil-brush.gif

• Haha 2

Pirahna Plant X4 this week.

Plenty of great moments, too many to list, but the chat is still on the highlighted video, and I seem to have typed something on the stream whenever something notable happened, or just after.

- - - - -

custom-ac0aee31-b1e0-4b15-88e6-642a2ba992ca-640x360.jpeg

N-Europe Saturday Smash! (15/04/2023)

- - - - -

OK, @BowserBasher, I looked up that fight in Wii Fit Studio. (Around 7:30) @S.C.G did manage to chuck that Reaper's Scythe at you in the chaos from your Final Smash.

• Thanks 2

Found the moment I mentioned that you said you didn't see on the Pikmin stage @Glen-i. 29.43 start. 15 seconds in I throw @Ike off to the left and as he is recovering I shoot a missile that explodes on the platform above him cause him to fall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Time for a theme!

No Need For Smash Amiibos!

FuK6_qZaEAAEbqu?format=jpg&name=large

The 20 characters here all have at least one amiibo figure that isn't part of the Smash Bros series.
Yeah, not as many as you'd think, huh?
I wanna pre-empt some possible posts beginning with "Actually...". Yes, Zelda has plenty of amiibos, but none of them are of the Zelda from Link to the Past, and seeing as how that series handles legacy characters, she's not allowed. (Hell, that Zelda doesn't even have a Smash amiibo. So at least Sora will have good company)
There is also a Pikmin one, but Olimar is not part of that, and that's who you control in Smash, so no.
And no, the Detective Pikachu amiibo doesn't allow Pikachu in. That's a very specific character, while Smash Pikachu is just a random Pikachu. (It still baffles me that TPC didn't really jump on that amiibo train)

There are some costume restrictions in effect tonight

Mario - No Builder or Wedding outfit
Link - BotW outfits only
Wario - Classic outfits only

FuK6_p_aYAABsZQ?format=jpg&name=large

FuK6_ptaAAEv_Iv?format=jpg&name=large

Stages and items are all from series that have their own amiibo line. I'm also allowing Assist Trophies, despite being a Smash original item, because, well, come on.

Format - 3 Stock, 10 mins
FS Meter - On

See you at 8!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

nerd-ackchyually.gif

someone had to.

OK, I'm sure you have a room title but may I suggest "Beat up Sam!!!!!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Mario - No Builder or Wedding outfit

71hZz3dCZIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I knew there was a wedding one. But it wasn't until @Dcubed picked him and @Glen-i said no that I saw him on my shelf and saif wait a minute. He came in a three pack with Wedding Peach and Bowser

• Haha 2