NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Online Thread

Golly gee, guys! It's yet another Theme Night.

Directly to Smash!

Tonight, only characters from games that were featured in last week's Nintendo Direct will be allowed.

FdaJ3YGaUAAXMSG?format=jpg&name=large

For clarity's sake, I'm only allowing characters that are absolutely, 100%, in the game. For example, while it's very likely that Fire Emblem Engage will have quite a few of the FE Smashers in it, we only saw Marth, so only he's getting in here. (That also rules out Ganondorf, BTW. You can't be sure he's in Tears of the Kingdom.)

Switch Sports showed up, so all 3 Mii Fighters are allowed, but no character based costumes, unless it's the Lloyd Irving one.

And in case anyone is wondering, I've not finished Xenoblade 3 yet, so I wouldn't know if Shulk or Pyra shows up in it. Hell, even if I did, I wouldn't allow them here because that would be spoilers and the game is too new for that. So they won't be in it, no matter what.

FdaJ3YGagAAYXVX?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

Hyrule Castle
Dream Land
Saffron City
Great Bay
Temple
Fountain of Dreams
Green Greens
Pokémon Stadium
Figure-8 Circuit
Bridge of Eldin
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 2
Castle Siege
Distant Planet
Pirate Ship
Gerudo Valley
Spirit Train
Dream Land GB
Arena Ferox
Mario Circuit
Skyloft
The Great Cave Offensive
Coliseum
Garden of Hope
Guar Plains
Wuhu Island
Midgar
Umbra Clock Tower
Great Plateau Tower
Moray Towers
Garreg Mach Monastery
Northern Cave
Cloud Sea of Alrest

I was more lax with the stage selection here, generally allowing for stages from a series featured in the direct to be in the pool. Although I left out stages from mainline Mario games and most of the Pokémon stages past generation 2 for no good reason.

FdaJ3YJaAAArEwG?format=jpg&name=large

Same deal with the item selection.

Format: Time, 4 minutes
FS Meter: On

See you at 8pm, tonight.

Edited by Glen-i

Jigglypuff's "Sing, then Rest" strategy really doesn't work so well in Time, where others aren't willing to just let you get the KO, huh?

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Jigglypuff's "Sing, then Rest" strategy really doesn't work so well in Time, where others aren't willing to just let you get the KO, huh?

LOL nope. Great matches as always some very fun times. My favourite was getting @Glen-i with Bayonetta's FS off screen.

12 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

My favourite was getting @Glen-i with Bayonetta's FS off screen.

My favourite was getting @Ike with Marth's FS... and then me being the one getting KO'd because of it.

• Weird 1

Rough night but some fun games. Chair to the head for a sudden death win was pretty nice from me.

Great night as always, some very hilarious moments and my first 5 consecutive wins in a row at the start there. Surprised even me with that.

I'll be setting myself as a spectator for about 20-30 minutes from around 20:45 as I need to pick my sister up from work tonight, but otherwise I'll be there for a birthday smashing time.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

I'll be setting myself as a spectator for about 20-30 minutes from around 20:45 as I need to pick my sister up from work tonight, but otherwise I'll be there for a birthday smashing time.

Happy birthday!

• Like 1

Naturally, @BowserBasher's birthday is why there were so many Party Ball mishaps tonight. It's the only explanation.

Biggest upset for me was @Ike sniping me with a Super Scope and stealing my Stylish Sora Stamina finish! Was so close!

• Haha 1

It's time for a theme night, and well, it'd be downright ghoulish of me not to do an obvious spooky month theme!

What a Horrible Night to Have a Smash

FfsdLIBagAAxupC?format=jpg&name=large

When you think about it, Smash has quite a diverse range of horror related characters, intentional or otherwise. Whether it be a bipedal wolf man, mutant crocodiles, witches, xenomorph rip-offs, people who sold their souls to the devil, or Nintendo's answer to "Little Shop of Horrors", there's something for everyone!

Of course, it all pales in comparison to gaming's one true nightmare, crafting mechanics, but they try. And I think we can all agree that it'd be downright disrespectful not to include the Belmonts tonight.

There are costume restrictions tonight:

• Link, Young Link, Toon Link - Dark Link costumes only
  • Steve - Zombie and Enderman only

FfqUQKjaUAELDyW?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler
  • Final Destination
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Pokémon Stadium
  • Brinstar Depths
  • Fourside
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Smashville
  • New Pork City
  • Shadow Moses Island
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Spear Pillar
  • Unova Pokémon League
  • Streetpass Quest
  • Gamer
  • Town and City
  • Wily Castle
  • Midgar
  • Dracula's Castle
  • Northern Cave
  • Mishima Dojo

Stages are mostly ones where it's nighttime, or in a spooky, dimly lit cave.

FfqUQKkaYAAfQGn?format=jpg&name=large

Items are quite limited this week, of note is the Poison Mushroom being the only mushroom, which doesn't leave mush room for doubt on whether you should avoid it.

Format: 3 Stock
FS Meter: On

See you at 8pm tonight.

Edited by Glen-i
Updated the picture with Links
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

the Poison Mushroom being the only mushroom, which doesn't leave mush room for doubt on whether you should avoid it.

You really went there didn't you. 

At least with s low character count I know we can get through everyone.

20 minutes ago, Ike said:

No Dark Links? The Ashen Demon?

OK, the first point, I concede. I totally spaced on the Dark Link costumes.

EDIT: I'll try to change the character picture, but just in case, I listed the Links in the above post.

Ashen Demon (Byleth), however, is a bit more iffy. Isn't that just a nickname based on how powerful and infamous they are? They're not exactly "Evil" per say. Well, as far as a war setting like Fire Emblem can go. I feel it's more ambigious compared to the likes of Ganondorf and Ridley.

You know what? It's not completely fair that I dictate it, seeing as I've not played Three Houses, so I don't have a full understanding of that situation. So I'm gonna hit up other Fire Emblem nut, @Jonnas, to be the deciding voice here.

So how about it? Do you think Byleth should go into this pool of characters? And if you need to explain spoilers, then I don't mind. Just use spoiler tags.

Edited by Glen-i

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

Nah, they’re just called that because they are strong.

Oh, well, if that's the case. Then I can't put them in.

For the record, I fully agree with Ike's take on Byleth as well.

What I disagree with, is this blatant Luigi erasure, @Glen-i

EDIT: Also, why are Incineroar and Greninja on the list? I get Mewtwo, he's a psychic genetic horror (very Resident Evil), but what are ninja-frog and tiger-wrestler in Halloween for?

Edited by Jonnas

10 hours ago, Jonnas said:

For the record, I fully agree with Ike's take on Byleth as well.

What I disagree with, is this blatant Luigi erasure, @Glen-i

EDIT: Also, why are Incineroar and Greninja on the list? I get Mewtwo, he's a psychic genetic horror (very Resident Evil), but what are ninja-frog and tiger-wrestler in Halloween for?

You mean Luigi, the character who appeared in a ridiculous amount of genres before ever showing up in a horror inspired game?

Hell, Luigi's Mansion's not even the first time he was in a starring role! He's too associated with all sorts of games to really be classed as a horror based character, even a comedic one. If there was a Gooigi costume, then there'd no question in my mind.

Greninja and Incineroar are both Dark type Pokémon, which admittedly isn't the most concrete of reasons. At least Dark Pit has the whole "literal evil doppelganger" thing going on.

But the thing of note is that "Dark Type" in Pokémon is an English localisation change. In the Japanese games, that type is literally called "Evil Type". A bit on the nose, but if the King of Evil is allowed, then I have to allow them two as well.

Edited by Glen-i

Time matches tonight at 8pm.

EDIT: I'm afraid I'm not gonna be able to make it tonight. If the two of you want to go ahead, then do just that.

Edited by Glen-i